Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TITANKISSER69 posted:

TCL 55R625 $500 shipped - includes 2 free Google Home minis.

I am so tempted to jump on this and upgrade my 46" Samsung from like 2014. But at the same time I want to wait and see what the 2020 version brings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I am so tempted to jump on this and upgrade my 46" Samsung from like 2014. But at the same time I want to wait and see what the 2020 version brings

:hmmyes:

I think that's a great idea.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

TITANKISSER69 posted:

TCL 55R625 $500 shipped - includes 2 free Google Home minis.

I’ve never heard of TCL, it’s a trusted brand?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RCarr posted:

I’ve never heard of TCL, it’s a trusted brand?

Yup. Started out as a bargain brand Chinese brand but they've quickly risen to one of the top feature/price go-tos.

I have this TV. It's great. It's not 120hz like that link suggests but it's fine other than that.

However I do have a question about HDR. I was playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps yesterday. Game loads up, beautiful bright loading screen... then HDR kicks in (logo in the top right) and everything goes way dim and stays that way. What's the best way to insure proper HDR is being displayed? I'd rather have a non-HDR bright image than a fake HDR image that is artificially dimming some areas just to make others appear bright.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I've not played that one yet but if you haven't done it make sure you go into the options and check for graphic options to set the HDR white point/brightness etc.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Not sure if this is specific to my tv, but hopefully someone with another Samsung QLED may know before I do anything dumb. I have a Q90R (82") and justhad the screen replaced with Samsung for some bad screen uniformity. I noticed a black strip of plastic lining the bottom of the screen (but not the sides and top) and can't tell if it's supposed to be removed or part of the tv; it has just enough stiffness to it that I'm worried about pulling on it, but it looks like it could be pulled off, even though I can't find any info on whether it should or shouldn't. First pic shows what the top/side edges look like, second shows the strip on the bottom (runs the entire length of the display).

edit: fixed my bad image links

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 15, 2020

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is there a thread where I could ask some poo poo about my harmony hub+remote and my x900f?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

PageMaster posted:

Not sure if this is specific to my tv, but hopefully someone with another Samsung QLED may know before I do anything dumb. I have a Q90R (82") and justhad the screen replaced with Samsung for some bad screen uniformity. I noticed a black strip of plastic lining the bottom of the screen (but not the sides and top) and can't tell if it's supposed to be removed or part of the tv; it has just enough stiffness to it that I'm worried about pulling on it, but it looks like it could be pulled off, even though I can't find any info on whether it should or shouldn't. First pic shows what the top/side edges look like, second shows the strip on the bottom (runs the entire length of the display).

edit: fixed my bad image links

A few people in the AVS forum thread for the Q90R also have asked about this strip, but I didn't see a definitive answer as to whether it is removable. My suggestion is, don't remove it unless you can tell that it's covering up active screen area (i.e. cutting off actual image area that should be visible).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have some Onkyo 5.1 receivers that have been crapping out (unacceptable cross interference on the HDMI inputs) and was looking to replace them. What's a good budget option for 5.1 if I only have two floor speakers (Jensen) and might add a subwoofer?

Or should I go with a soundbar?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Number_6 posted:

A few people in the AVS forum thread for the Q90R also have asked about this strip, but I didn't see a definitive answer as to whether it is removable. My suggestion is, don't remove it unless you can tell that it's covering up active screen area (i.e. cutting off actual image area that should be visible).

Thanks, I'll leave it alone for now. Interestingly it doesn't look like it's actually adhered to the screen at all, it actually sits maybe a 16th of an inch away from the screen which is unfortunate since I'd guess it could collect dust, but it lines up with the black border of the LED so no other impact.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's been about a year since I got a C9 and I just wanted to say I'm still amazed every single time I use this TV. It's also the only tech device I own that's so future proof that it gets better with time (HDMI 2.1 gaming incoming in Q3-Q4 over a year after purchase).

OLED is the real deal. It's one of the best tech purchases I've EVER made, and I hope someday they're affordable enough for everyone to own one. Fortunately it looks like that day should be here within a couple of years.

The only downside is that it makes other displays look like poo poo.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Taima posted:

It's been about a year since I got a C9 and I just wanted to say I'm still amazed every single time I use this TV. It's also the only tech device I own that's so future proof that it gets better with time (HDMI 2.1 gaming incoming in Q3-Q4 over a year after purchase).

OLED is the real deal. It's one of the best tech purchases I've EVER made, and I hope someday they're affordable enough for everyone to own one. Fortunately it looks like that day should be here within a couple of years.

Stop it. I’m trying to convince myself to be responsible and buy a budget TV in November to replace my 10 year old plasma and every time someone gushes about their OLED my resolve gets weaker.

Probably no chance the 65” CX goes on sale for under $1600 by then, right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is there a specific feature of the X that you're interested in? A 65" C9 hovers around 1600-1800 on sale right now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Tacier posted:

Stop it. I’m trying to convince myself to be responsible and buy a budget TV in November to replace my 10 year old plasma and every time someone gushes about their OLED my resolve gets weaker.

Probably no chance the 65” CX goes on sale for under $1600 by then, right?
LG's Christmas sales can be pretty nuts, not sure if they cut prices for C9 last year by Black Friday. The C9 deal was absolute crazy.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Taima posted:

Watching clone wars and Onward on my C9 with motion smoothing on and they look like what ps5 is going to look like.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

American McGay posted:

Is there a specific feature of the X that you're interested in? A 65" C9 hovers around 1600-1800 on sale right now.

I won’t have room for it until I move into a new apartment in a few months and I won’t have a gaming console (which will probably account for 50% of its usage) until PS5 is released.

Since I’m happy to wait until Nov/Dec, I figured I’d go with the CX even if it doesn’t offer any big upgrades. I think I read something about 120hz and black frame insertion? Probably stuff I’d never notice, but still.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
So, there's no way this is really a C9 65 inch for 1.2k right?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-oled-technology-great-found-deals/2746313-lg-oled65b6p-made-mexico-2.html

quote:

Silver Star, ABC TV, are NOT legit (been there done that) Pretty and i'm sure they are the same people w/ different names. They will try to bait and switch you, then if you insist on the low price they WILL take your order, but never charge you or ship it and the order will permanently be in limbo. I actually still have an order in with them (from November) that they swear they are going to ship one day(LOL)! My new ordered C9 77" is set to be delivered tomorrow... ill let you know how it goes,

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah they use the old ‘rate us 5* on this site before the order arrives’ trick too, hence the good score.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah I saw that earlier today and I really resisted the urge to throw my credit card at the screen.

Reading up on it all those sites (Silver Star. AbC TV. Whatever else) basically will call you to "arrange shipping" but the dude will try and upset you to another model because "this here TV does 8-bit color and is made in Mexico, but thisother here tv is made in Japan and Korea and is a high quality 10-bit screen so that'll be $5,200 instead". If you refuse the upsell they'll likely never ship and just refuse and update or do the "well it's backordered so..." dance.

Folks have said they've just said "throw in the TV protection plan and ship it" or flat out have asked what is the price they're willing to actually set to actually ship the thing and have reportedly had good luck. The indication of success seems to be if they charge your card or not.

They don't actually charge you and not ship because, well, fraud charges.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I've never understood when people gamble on shady sites. What are they hoping to save in a best case scenario and is it worth the risk?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The thrill of chasing down a deal? The feeling of winning if it actually goes your way?
Most of the people in the thread I read knew it was likely bunko so they did things to protect themselves so it was a carefully weighed decision.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
In the current climate, definitely not a roulette wheel I want to spin.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Truman Sticks posted:

I've never understood when people gamble on shady sites. What are they hoping to save in a best case scenario and is it worth the risk?

I got my last TV for $100 less than the closest competitor, but it did cost me 5 hours on the phone with my credit card company while I dealt with the fraudulent charges that popped up after the store sold my CC number.

I don’t recommend it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Munkaboo posted:

Watching clone wars and Onward on my C9 with motion smoothing on and they look like what ps5 is going to look like.

With motion smoothing...on? :aaaaa:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EC posted:

With motion smoothing...on? :aaaaa:
Yeh I've heard some people prefer smoothing on animation and cgi.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LG's motion stuff is TERRIBLE for animation (at least on the 2016 models). I sometimes use de-judder 1 as a substitution for not having proper 60hz-24hz conversion and it's generally ok for live content but man is it horrific even on that setting for animation. The artifacts are everywhere. Half painted mouths, disconnected movement. Blech.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I take it from this thread that the series 6 TLC is much better than series 4? I got $200 in amazon gift cards. Debating . (55 inch)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LionArcher posted:

So I take it from this thread that the series 6 TLC is much better than series 4? I got $200 in amazon gift cards. Debating . (55 inch)

Yes it is. Even the 5 series.

The 5 series is still great, I've got the 2019 of both in my house, but the 6 series is noticeably better. All depends on use case though.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Yes it is. Even the 5 series.

The 5 series is still great, I've got the 2019 of both in my house, but the 6 series is noticeably better. All depends on use case though.

A tv I’ll keep for 5 years and play PlayStation games, watch 4K movies and other games on. (Some sports events)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LionArcher posted:

A tv I’ll keep for 5 years and play PlayStation games, watch 4K movies and other games on. (Some sports events)

Get the 6 series.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Get the 6 series.

Will do, this fall.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any suggestions for a 75" tv < $2k? We've been very happy with our TCL 55P607 (2017) but just looking to upgrade. Unfortunately the 75" current gen TCL has legs just a little too wide for our tv stand (max width 59"). It's a little confusing comparing these very similar speced TVs of very different pricing.

Or if someone has a suggestion for a heavy stable floor mount stand I guess. The wall behind the TV is brick so I'm not sure about mounting it to the wall, but a big floor mount would work. It would also be nice to make it more stable for our crazy cats. I have our current tv secured with straps but something even better would be nice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any suggestions for a 75" tv < $2k? We've been very happy with our TCL 55P607 (2017) but just looking to upgrade. Unfortunately the 75" current gen TCL has legs just a little too wide for our tv stand (max width 59"). It's a little confusing comparing these very similar speced TVs of very different pricing.

Or if someone has a suggestion for a heavy stable floor mount stand I guess. The wall behind the TV is brick so I'm not sure about mounting it to the wall, but a big floor mount would work. It would also be nice to make it more stable for our crazy cats. I have our current tv secured with straps but something even better would be nice.

Does it need to be floor mount? I know there are universal vesa center pedestal stands. Surely they make some that will hold a 75"... Or maybe that's too big

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't know if you've checked but the TCL legs are reversible, they can be angled inward for narrower stands.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Does it need to be floor mount? I know there are universal vesa center pedestal stands. Surely they make some that will hold a 75"... Or maybe that's too big

I found a few but I was thinking a table pedestal mounted TV that big would be pretty unstable. As it is I have a cat who keeps trying to stand on top of our current thin TV so it needs to be excessively stable. A floor mount tucked up against the stand and strapped to the wall would seem the most stable thing I could think of.

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if you've checked but the TCL legs are reversible, they can be angled inward for narrower stands.

I didn't know that was a thing. Is it stable that way?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

FuzzySlippers posted:

I didn't know that was a thing. Is it stable that way?

i have two large, 18lb cats who enjoy walking around televisions. several tcls with the legs angled inward, and didn't have any troubles. ymmv!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I’ve had my TCL 6 Series for a few months, but it never occurred to me that I actually had to turn on the HDR on my PS4. Now that I’m trying, I get a message reading “Your TV does not support HDR.”

I’m still using the HDMI cable that came with the console — that the likeliest culprit?

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 23, 2020

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

morestuff posted:

I’ve had my TCL 6 Series for a few months, but it never occurred to me that I actually had to turn on the HDR on my PS4. Now that I’m trying, I get a message reading “Your TV does not support HDR.”

I’m still using the HDMI cable that came with the console — that the likeliest culprit?

Is it a Pro or a regular PS4? Only Pro ships with a high enough spec cable iirc. Also I'm not familiar with the tcls but check if it all the ports support HDMI 2.0 or you need to enable support on the inputs on the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Red Warrior posted:

Is it a Pro or a regular PS4? Only Pro ships with a high enough spec cable iirc. Also I'm not familiar with the tcls but check if it all the ports support HDMI 2.0 or you need to enable support on the inputs on the TV.

Just a regular. Doesn’t look like there’s a toggle on the input settings, and as far as I can tell from looking at specs all the ports should be capable.

Worth the $8 on a Monoprice to doublecheck, I guess