Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Had the Butterbean fiasco not happened, does anyone here think they might have actually given Bart even the tiniest of runs? How long was it between the B4A final and WM 15?

lol like they'd give Bart a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Brawl 4 All wrapped up six days before Summerslam ‘98.

And so, back then when Mania was a March event, that means there was... roughly seven months between then and Mania.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Seams posted:

Vince should’ve repackaged him as Bart “the hit man” Gunn

Bart "The Machine" Gunn

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Those guys bought heavy into Dr Death being a real deal badass in a fight because he wrestled in college. Turns out it doesn't help you get punched in the head.

If they knew poo poo there would have been no one they had real plans for possibly getting knocked out on national TV.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TheKingslayer posted:

Those guys bought heavy into Dr Death being a real deal badass in a fight because he wrestled in college. Turns out it doesn't help you get punched in the head.

If they knew poo poo there would have been no one they had real plans for possibly getting knocked out on national TV.

It just really showed how clueless most people are toward combat sports.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty much this. As someone who doesn't watch wrestling, I was just baffled by the whole thing.

Again I don't watch wrestling but...how do you not know how to properly market someone who just proved to be the legit toughest wrestler in your promotion?

The important thing to keep in mind about WWE is that they reached the top of the mountain not because of their own brilliance, but because every other wrestling company that had the resources to compete with them was even more incompetent.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bart was definitely the highlight of this episode. I've never heard his side of the story before, so listening to him talk his way through the tournament and his mindset going into every match was very insightful.

I kinda wish we got that Butterbean rematch in Japan just to see what it looked like, but much like Bart, I suspect it would've ended the same way.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also Steve Williams got done dirty and I kinda hate the revisionist narrative that he only got a push by being buddies with JR. Dude was a big star in Japan, had some of the best tag matches of that era, and was protected as a legit badass. Like yeah, maybe he was past his prime by the time he got into WWF, but the resume speaks for itself, and he had all the credentials you needed to build him up as a threatening challenger for Austin. And I'm not saying he should've won the title (I book Austin to beat him 10 out of 10 times), but "threatening challenger" can draw big money if you build him right, and I'm fairly confident that a guy with his badass reputation would've drawn money coming off the heels of the Austin/Tyson angle.

Instead they threw him into this garbage, watched him tear his hamstring and end his WWF career in front of God and the whole world, and this is somehow his fault and JR's fault. That's bullshit. They had the makings of a star if they wanted to. As much as I hate Cornette, he was right. They completely blew it with Williams.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 11, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno, Williams got screwed, but I feel like I can definitely blame JR, along with the rest of Vince's boys for just taking it for granted that he would tapdance his way through the tournament and I don't at all doubt JR's hands were in the Butterbean poo poo.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Williams was signed in May 1998, a month after the negotiations fell through to bring in Ric Flair to feud with Austin

He was never a priority for Vince - at that point it was probably "who else is out there?" and Williams was the biggest free agent left

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The WWF, and today the WWE, writing room and creative was pretty much that scene from Enemy at the Gates where the commissars argue for what to do on implied pain of death.

That episode and scenario was weird because I not only agreed with Cornette's tirades against Russo but why didn't any of them, including Cornette, come up with an angle for Gunn? It all just leads back to Cornette being a blowhard who is always a genius after the fact and Russo being one of the worst things to happen to the WWF, which is saying something. Yeah, you're out money because the guy you've been building up got destroyed in a fluke event but it shouldn't be hard to build a guy who has a shoot match against your champ to be and wins. That's realer than the writing so their inability to build on that just shows their pettiness, spite at the whole thing, and ultimately their ability to write.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i dont think any goons could beat up bart gunn

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I sure couldn't. But I'm also not sure if I would have bought into him if they actually had pushed him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Reminds me of Billy Gunn on a recent AEW podcast.

Schiavone: Could Bart Gunn beat up ten people at a bar?

Billy: Yes.

Schiavone: You say that so matter of factly.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

The way he said it seemed to implicate that something of this nature absolutely happened.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

There’s at least one story out there about Bart and one or two other guys clearing out a bar during a big brawl that’s floating around.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

DeathChicken posted:

I'd like to think Bart sat idly by, sipping a cocktail, while Shawn Michaels got his rear end kicked by a bunch of marines

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 12, 2020

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bart has for lack of a better term God given power in his hands that you can't just teach people. It's impressive.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
What happened to Blackman in the BFA? And wasn't he like legit going to kill everyone until they made some anti-blac
kman rule?

e: god drat; Blackman was being considered for a full-time contract with the company when he contracted malaria and dysentery while wrestling in South Africa in 1989 and was essentially bedridden for two years. After his rest, during which he lost much of his muscle mass, Blackman spent another four years in physical therapy to recover his condition, and incorporated martial arts training, specifically escrima and tae kwon do. Once back in working shape, he contacted his friends Brian Pillman and Owen Hart for a new WWF try-out.

e2: lol Vince really poo poo all over Vader in the WWE

Steve Blackman. His first pay-per view appearance was at Survivor Series 1997, as a replacement for the injured Patriot as the fourth member of Team USA (Vader, Goldust, and Marc Mero). Blackman was the first elimination of the match when he was counted out of the ring. Team USA lost to Team (British Bulldog, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, Phillip Lafon, and Doug Furnas) when the British Bulldog pinned Vader.

e3: lol Vader ruled: In a post-match interview with Michael Cole, Vader said, "I made the biggest mistake of my life. Maybe Vader time is over. I'm a piece of poo poo. A big fat piece of poo poo".

Hirez fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 12, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I like how Vader had that crappy WWF run, so people assumed he was washed, then he went back to All Japan and was instantly great again. Probably one of the earliest examples of a guy getting Always Bad'd because WWE booked them poorly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Hirez posted:

What happened to Blackman in the BFA? And wasn't he like legit going to kill everyone until they made some anti-blac
kman rule?
Blackman beat Mark Mero in the first round, then hurt himself training and had to bow out. It was Dan Severn who basically went "I get a point for takedowns? Alright, I'm just going to do double legs and win this by a million points, I will never throw a punch because I don't have to." After he beat Godfather this way, they pulled him out of the tournament

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
To be fair to the WWF they began the burial of Bodacious Bart Gunn when they teamed him up with Bombastic Bob Holly to form the New Midnight Express. Bart Gunn got the monkey's paw wish of a lifetime. Win the NWA Tag Team Titles......in 1998 WWF w/ Bob Holly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MorrisBae posted:

I'd like to think Bart sat idly by, sipping a cocktail, while Shawn Michaels got his rear end kicked by a bunch of marines

From everything I've heard a LOT of guys would have, HBK used to have nuclear heat with the boys.

Always found it kinda funny that of all people, Davey Boy Smith was the one who stepped in before it got manslaughter-y

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Davey Boy Screwed Bret!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'd always heard Davey Boy was trying to help but he was too much of a steroid lunk to get out of the car before Shawn got his rear end whupped

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

I'd never read the story of that, but lol at pointing at 1-2-3 Kid as your muscle to a current solider who's girl you're trying to take (http://www.armpit-wrestling.com/shawn-michaels-vs-the-us-army/)

ahhh the 90's....

Michaels later sued the perpetrator, who was arrested and had to cover his medical bills. He was also banned for life from attending WWF events, but it was said he didn’t care because he thought wrestling was “gay.” :lol:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I'm curious if they'll do an episode on the WCW discrimination lawsuit. A lot of things factored in to the fall of WCW and that, in my opinion, was one of them. Racism is rampant in pro wrestling but a lot of the stories that came out of that lawsuit were extremely disgusting.

It also led to Booker T winning the WCW World Championship at Bash at the Beach 2000, which ultimately got overshadowed by Jarrett laying down for Hogan in their match as well as Hogan's subsequent in ring meltdown on the company, which would make for a fascinating episode in its own right.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Macrame_God posted:

I'm curious if they'll do an episode on the WCW discrimination lawsuit. A lot of things factored in to the fall of WCW and that, in my opinion, was one of them. Racism is rampant in pro wrestling but a lot of the stories that came out of that lawsuit were extremely disgusting.

It also led to Booker T winning the WCW World Championship at Bash at the Beach 2000, which ultimately got overshadowed by Jarrett laying down for Hogan in their match as well as Hogan's subsequent in ring meltdown on the company, which would make for a fascinating episode in its own right.
That's a good idea regardless, but if they could get the deposition videos, then it would be a REALLY good idea. I need to do a deep dive on it at some point, but this gist is that WCW was so institutionally racist that the bullshit whining about "bad workers" getting seven figure settlements just becomes sad. There were one or two people who were legit along for the ride (WCW had no record of Rick Reeves ever even contacting them, much less working for them, and I think there might have been one more similar case who just claimed to call WCW for work once and get sandbagged), but the vast majority had real cases. Especially the Power Plant guys.

EDIT: This reminds me...does ANYONE have the Stevie Ray podcast episode with the Title Match Wrestling people where he was asked who "the most racist person in WCW" was, answered Terry Taylor, and explained why? Audio or video, doesn't matter. It disappeared from the internet six months after it was released and there aren't that many traces of it, period.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 13, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Holy poo poo I didn't realise series 2 was out.

Just finished watching the first 3 episodes and so far:

Had to watch the Benoit one over two sittings as I couldn't get through it. It was far too depressing reliving that. gently caress Vince for offering no support to David after what happened.

New Jack still remains a giant scumbag with no remorse

Droz seems like a really cool chill guy. Same with Bart Gunn

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

fez_machine posted:

Can't wait for the inevitable Cornette dark side of the ring.

nah the creators are big marks for has-beens with podcasts

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Okay so Allentown PD was *absolutely* paid off.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the police guy was the most suspicious man in history, his double take when hearing someone else was in the car was hilarious. man out here lookin like an l.a noire npc

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Paper Lion posted:

man out here lookin like an l.a noire npc

hahahahaa this is it exactly

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

One thing I didn't like was how they made it seem like Snuka's career went downhill after the incident. I mean, he was with the WWF for 2 years after the incident, was a character in the WWF cartoon, had an action figure made of him, was brought back full time in 89, was inducted into the HoF in 96, and had his last Wrestlemania match in 2009.

Despite knowing what he had done, WWE was perfectly content to continue working with him.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Davros1 posted:

One thing I didn't like was how they made it seem like Snuka's career went downhill after the incident. I mean, he was with the WWF for 2 years after the incident, was a character in the WWF cartoon, had an action figure made of him, was brought back full time in 89, was inducted into the HoF in 96, and had his last Wrestlemania match in 2009.

Despite knowing what he had done, WWE was perfectly content to continue working with him.
They said downhill after the lawsuit was filed, didn't they? Which is more or less true. That was in early-mid '85, around when he left the WWE amidst the Kuwait incident and other difficulties. He moved to Hawaii, was working less, and claimed to be destitute. He was still working NJPW, which paid great (and in cash), but that was more riding Brody's coattails than anything else. He was barely above prelim level when he came back in '89.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

davidbix posted:

They said downhill after the lawsuit was filed, didn't they? Which is more or less true. That was in early-mid '85, around when he left the WWE amidst the Kuwait incident and other difficulties. He moved to Hawaii, was working less, and claimed to be destitute. He was still working NJPW, which paid great (and in cash), but that was more riding Brody's coattails than anything else. He was barely above prelim level when he came back in '89.

They implied that his career trajectory after the lawsuit was he went from the WWF, to the AWA, to the indies, to doing conventions. They failed to mention that the WWF brought him back to fanfare (He even got a special introduction at Mania 5) and worked for them on and off since 89.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Paper Lion posted:

man out here lookin like an l.a noire npc

this is what I thought of immediately lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1250465399759450113?s=20

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Tonga Kid probably had countless rides with Snuka and Nancy to Allentown, he just didn't want to believe his best friend was capable of anything like that.

After Dark, the Darkside of the ring talk show with Chris Gethard as been so hard to watch at points. The first Benoit episodes weren't bad, but when you got some of the old 80s wrestlers and ECW guys in there, you can tell they just don't want to work with him much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the penis suplex episode is harrowing