Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Rollersnake posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but will hybrid flowers propagate themselves? Or can I only ever grow blue pansies from two white pansies?
I got blue pansies from an island and they pop out both purple and blue buds every day or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Rollersnake posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but will hybrid flowers propagate themselves? Or can I only ever grow blue pansies from two white pansies?

They will propagate themselves, at least in the case of the ones I’ve grown.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Rollersnake posted:

The latter, but you can find islands with hybrids.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Closing my island now - thanks to everyone who stopped by, it was a real blast! Very grateful for the instrument donations too.

Now that I know people can learn the pitfall seed recipe from burying one on their own island, these are gonna be available to take next time I open :)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm just so loving frustrated with everything. All of the main things I want out of this game, the game teases but then is like "gently caress you, spend real money to get what you want."

Sure would like to have my own island since this one is my wife's. Nope, gently caress you, spend $400 on another Switch and another copy of the game.

Sure would like to be able to move buildings. Nope, gently caress you, spend 10 minutes logging out of your account, sitting in loading screens, switching to her account, sitting in loading screens, moving the building, logging out of her account, sitting in loading screens, logging into my account, sitting in loading screens.

Sure would like to be able to have more control of the animals on the island. Nope, gently caress you go buy Amiibo cards.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

LastGoodBoy posted:

Sucks, dude. I'd give you some, but lilies are one of the ones I don't have yet.

Thanks man, I appreciate the sentiment. I'd get it if someone had let their kid or their oblivious girlfriend play and they'd picked a couple of the prettier flowers, but this was not something done unknowingly or by mistake. Some people are just lovely. Now I feel like I have to track or note who comes and goes from my place in case it happens again, and that's not how I want to do this.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I'm just so loving frustrated with everything. All of the main things I want out of this game, the game teases but then is like "gently caress you, spend real money to get what you want."

Sure would like to have my own island since this one is my wife's. Nope, gently caress you, spend $400 on another Switch and another copy of the game.

Sure would like to be able to move buildings. Nope, gently caress you, spend 10 minutes logging out of your account, sitting in loading screens, switching to her account, sitting in loading screens, moving the building, logging out of her account, sitting in loading screens, logging into my account, sitting in loading screens.

Sure would like to be able to have more control of the animals on the island. Nope, gently caress you go buy Amiibo cards.

This seems a bit hyperbolic.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You are wrong to want control over the animals on your island. Otherwise I sympathize.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Dip Viscous posted:

All of my buildings are scattered randomly. I don't pull weeds and I've never crafted a watering can. Sometimes I dig holes and don't fill them back in.

I bunched half my houses as close as possible and put a bunch of trash cans, telephone poles and tires around them. And a kids pool in the front yard.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tergaso posted:

I'm opening up my island for awhile.

Nooks are selling Apple pattern cardboard boxes and the Judge's bell. The limited item is.... also an Apple pattern cardboard box. Red/yellow roses, white/orange windflower, white/yellow Hycanlith are the seeds.

Cherries are native fruits, there are some in the orchard to the west. Help yourself to the coconuts too.

The Mables are selling the full cowboy getup, and an astronaut suit and composer wig! (it shows up as white, but actually it's based on your hair color.)

Snake was making a pear umbrella, but he may have stopped.

Please leave messages, designs, I love seeing what people have come up with.

Help yourself to the free poo poo by the stall and ram statue.

Dodo Code tm is M12T8

I'll be AFK for a bit.

I like your fenced off area that's being blocked off by an ant.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I’m AFK for dinner so I can’t help if it goes down but my turnips are selling 557.
Stay inside fencing.
Tip if ya want but it’s not needed.
Limited to 4 max because it freezes otherwise.

Closed!

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 16, 2020

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Nondevor posted:

Opening my island up for visitors: ----

Klaus is crafting an ironwood bed in the NW corner of the map, and Mabel is also selling masquerade masks.

Fossil dupes available on the stalls (+ some extra furniture):
T-Rex skull, tail
Archelon tail
Ankylo skull
Trilobite
Sabertooth tail
Diplo neck, tail tip
Mammoth torso
Right quetzal wing
Stego torso

Nook’s Cranny: x1 exercise ball, x1 writing desk, ball, stovetop expresso maker (red)
R/W windflowers, R/Y Tulips, R/Y hyacinths

If anyone has a spare saxophone, drumset (covered :toot:), piano, or blue/whatever color floor light besides white/pink/purple I can catalogue, that’d be cool!

Do you have plans to open back up? I needs me a power armor suit!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lux Animus posted:

Thanks a lot to everyone who came and joined me in Smashville - all except for the person who plucked all of my lilies! Don't ever come back, you gently caress. I'm closing my gates now.

Lilies were the last seeds I'd gotten and as a result they're the ones I have the most crossbreeding work to do on. Now I've got to wait 48+ hours before I can resume! Thanks, rear end in a top hat!

Man that sucks horribly. I'm pretty sure I have excess lillies! I can bring them by next time you're open.

I like your town. It's pretty. I want to help keep it pretty. :)

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

New Leaf posted:

Do you have plans to open back up? I needs me a power armor suit!

Sure, 8FWYC

My battery’s getting kinda low though so hopefully you see this in time!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Opening Carcosa for a bit. I've got a spot for fossils and DIYs near the plaza, swap away! There's apples, and the Able's has chef's outfit, vampire costume, pleather skirts and mask. Be Chef Bane or whatever, it's your life. Oh, I can also craft gold turd beetles for you if you've got the nugs. Please leave messages, Carcosa awaits!

D0FVR

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 15, 2020

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Nondevor posted:

Sure, 8FWYC

My battery’s getting kinda low though so hopefully you see this in time!

Flying out now, thanks! Won't stay long, just buying a couple things then rolling back out.

Tanyu
Feb 19, 2011
edit: closed

Tanyu fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 16, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LastGoodBoy posted:

This seems a bit hyperbolic.

Cool, so how do I get my own island then? How can I do some local multiplayer that doesn't suck rear end?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Cool, so how do I get my own island then? How can I do some local multiplayer that doesn't suck rear end?

Animal Crossing has never been a "everyone has their own town" game. This is a 19 year old tradition of the franchise (as of yesterday, actually. Happy Birthday, AC!). You're supposed to share the island with the people in your house.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

How can I do some local multiplayer that doesn't suck rear end?

nintendo.txt, my friend

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Celeste taught me how to make a rocket. I'm in boys.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Animal Forest Space Program is go.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hidden endgame should be crafting your ultimate escape from the Nook/Dodo dictatorial regime

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hidden endgame should be crafting your ultimate escape from the Nook/Dodo dictatorial regime

nono you finally complete the rocket and shoot Tom Nook into the sun, ending his capitalistic reign over this chill as gently caress animal world

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LastGoodBoy posted:

Animal Crossing has never been a "everyone has their own town" game. This is a 19 year old tradition of the franchise (as of yesterday, actually. Happy Birthday, AC!). You're supposed to share the island with the people in your house.

Yeah but previous games never gave you this level of freedom to customize your island. For pretty much every game before New Leaf, the experience between player 1 through 4 was never much different. New Leaf certainly could be shared, but it was a lot more affordable and reasonable for multiple members of a household to have their own system and copy, being a strictly hand-held system.

New Horizons basically turns the whole island into your house, and secondary players end up missing out on a lot of options and customization from what it sounds like.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to have multiple islands/saves per console if you want. It's a lame restriction. Hell, Gamecube essentially let you have multiple saves per console through just getting a second memory card.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

Waffle! posted:

Opening Carcosa for a bit. I've got a spot for fossils and DIYs near the plaza, swap away! There's apples, and the Able's has chef's outfit, vampire costume, pleather skirts and mask. Be Chef Bane or whatever, it's your life. Oh, I can also craft gold turd beetles for you if you've got the nugs. Please leave messages, Carcosa awaits!

D0FVR

My goodness, Carcosa was lovely. Your dinosaur exchange spot seemed to be overflowing! Such generous visitors.

Well done on that sign, by the way.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

not sure this is accurate, newcastle fans are notorious for not wearing a shirt!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah but previous games never gave you this level of freedom to customize your island. For pretty much every game before New Leaf, the experience between player 1 through 4 was never much different. New Leaf certainly could be shared, but it was a lot more affordable and reasonable for multiple members of a household to have their own system and copy, being a strictly hand-held system.

New Horizons basically turns the whole island into your house, and secondary players end up missing out on a lot of options and customization from what it sounds like.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to have multiple islands/saves per console if you want. It's a lame restriction. Hell, Gamecube essentially let you have multiple saves per console through just getting a second memory card.

I can see that to a degree, but on the other hand I don't find it fair to judge it on something that has been a staple of play for the entirety of the franchise. To me it feels like the same thing as people complaining about MMOs that aren't single player. Would I like to see Nintendo patch in multiple islands? Sure. Is it a flaw that the game doesn't do it yet? Not in my opinion.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

LastGoodBoy posted:

"The system was stupid in the past so it should stay stupid in the present."

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

"The system was stupid in the past so it should stay stupid in the present."

More like "You should do your research on a game before buying". The franchise's core is a communal experience, not a solo one.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

LastGoodBoy posted:

I can see that to a degree, but on the other hand I don't find it fair to judge it on something that has been a staple of play for the entirety of the franchise. To me it feels like the same thing as people complaining about MMOs that aren't single player. Would I like to see Nintendo patch in multiple islands? Sure. Is it a flaw that the game doesn't do it yet? Not in my opinion.

I wouldn't have so much of a problem if non-primary players had any ability to do island infrastructure. Give the primary player the ability to bestow infrastructure rights to others.

Also, local couch multiplayer loving SUCKS rear end.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I wouldn't have so much of a problem if non-primary players had any ability to do island infrastructure. Give the primary player the ability to bestow infrastructure rights to others.

Also, local couch multiplayer loving SUCKS rear end.

Agree completely.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Lullabee posted:

I’m AFK for dinner so I can’t help if it goes down but my turnips are selling 557.
Stay inside fencing.
Tip if ya want but it’s not needed.
Limited to 4 max because it freezes otherwise.

https://turnip.exchange/island/96ced9f7

Any clothing items you're after?

Edit: I'm probably going to open Turdsburg a little later because my clothing shop is STACKED right now.

Diner Apron
Royal Shirt
Space Parka
Denim Cutoffs
SPANGLE SHORTS
MARIACHI OUTFITS
Suspender Outfit
Visual Punk Dress
Bun Wig
(Wrestling) Headgear
Masquerade Mask
Pixel Shades
Wingtip Shoes

And others!

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 16, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LastGoodBoy posted:

Animal Forest Space Program is go.

I have a observatory somewhere in my town but

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

e: ^^^ love it.

LastGoodBoy posted:

I think it can be a cute feature, but it's not really worth defending when it's clearly a detriment to the experience for many. It being a staple isn't really a good excuse. I feel like it's hard not to consider it a flaw when there's little reason it can't be offer as a choice. Also, I feel like a big reason it was a "staple" was because it was also just a technical limitation on previous systems.

I don't even think your MMO comparison is apt - an MMO gains things by not being single-player. New Horizons kinda gains nothing by limiting systems to a single save.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I think it can be a cute feature, but it's not really worth defending when it's clearly a detriment to the experience for many. It being a staple isn't really a good excuse. I feel like it's hard not to consider it a flaw when there's little reason it can't be offer as a choice. Also, I feel like a big reason it was a "staple" was because it was also just a technical limitation on previous systems.

I don't even think your MMO comparison is apt - an MMO gains things by not being single-player. New Horizons kinda gains nothing by limiting systems to a single save.

I'm all for them changing it, but I don't agree that it's fair criticism to chastise them for not changing it. I do see where you're coming from, but it's just going to have to be one of those things we disagree on.

As for the MMO comparison, it's spot on. Animal Crossing is a mini localized MMO. You're meant to play with others, be it in your home or online. If everyone in your home is in a different corner doing their own thing, it defeats that purpose. I will say we should focus on the valid criticism in this area, though: Nintendo's abysmal online services. I can chalk this up to Japan treating their online experiences differently, but only to a point. Most of the crap in New Horizons' online experience is unforgivable.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1250467928849264640

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

LastGoodBoy posted:

More like "You should do your research on a game before buying". The franchise's core is a communal experience, not a solo one.

That's just the thing, it's a communal experience but apparently they don't want it to be too communal because there's no split-screen co-op.

I mean, all of the complaints I have about this game could literally be patched in (but they won't be).

1 - Let the primary player give rights to other islanders to contribute/modify infrastructure. Hell, the primary islander gets a bunch of free recipes at the start that no one else gets. That sucks.
2 - Split-screen co-op with full inventories. I'd love to be able to play along side my wife, but... we can't.
3 - There should always be a visitor at the campsite and that visitor should cycle daily. Currently, you get one visitor about every 2-4 weeks. That's super lovely that the campsite sits empty 95% of the time. (Nintendo just wants you to buy Amiibo cards)

Fix those three things and I could be far far far happier with this game, hell, I wouldn't even mind the one island per Switch. (These changes will never be implemented)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Splitting the max number of profiles per island down the middle so it's 2 islands for 4 profiles each feels like the best.

Mostly saying this because I'm not sure how you're supposed to space this island out for 8 players. It was a big enough challenge trying to find a place for a second home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fereldish
Jun 25, 2012

Tergaso posted:

I'm opening up my island for awhile.

Thanks for the r/y rose seeds and apple box! Your island is amazing; so many gorgeous flowers! I left a couple gifts behind your museum.