Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

So far nothing has really blew my skirt up. Day 1 arguments. I find it a very town move to want to move to serious discussion quickly, so glad everyone's racketing up the board.

Jen X posted:

So am I, because I find it weird for a different reason, not at all because I think it’s self-anything. Andy, would you please clarify what you mean in that last sentence?

This screams scum to me.

You are agreeing with someone that you are uneasy about your case, however you double down on your case that you feel uneasy about in interrogating the person you like the case the most of.

This reads to me like scum trying to wash their hands of a case but continue applying pressure to said case.

##vote: Jen X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

kingcobweb posted:

CapnAndy not only seems scummy for that post but he wrote the wikipedia article about his own gambit. Cmon man.
I 100% did not. There's a history tab right there on the wiki, you're free to check.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

yeah I don't love the way Jen is trying to cast so much doubt on the CapnAndy case.

Jen do you think CapnAndy is town?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sandwolf posted:

ok, but then why write all the words on why you think he's disingenuous?
Because like I said, I've been there myself and am aware it doesn't actually help the town. It's empathy. I want him to be better. If I wanted him lynched, I'd have called him scum and voted for him.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sandwolf posted:

just quick, do you think it doesn't?

I don’t think it’s particularly concerned with either presenting a certain appearance, using specific wording, or making a case that over or under utilizes the scant posting in the thread, so I don’t believe either term are accurate descriptions.

My problem is entirely with the ping pong between concepts (analysis -> meta advice -> town read), not any read of andy as being particularly deliberate. I don’t see any kind of scumcase being made there.

Sandwolf posted:

yeah I don't love the way Jen is trying to cast so much doubt on the CapnAndy case.

Jen do you think CapnAndy is town?

Yeah actually I do, his explanation makes sense.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Jen’s posting is coming across as way too self conscious right now. When she was presenting her case on me she was coming across much more confident and poignant, even if I don’t agree. Right now she seems to be stumbling as she tries to waffle between being able to go either way on the way the Capn vote leans.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kashuno posted:

Jen’s posting is coming across as way too self conscious right now. When she was presenting her case on me she was coming across much more confident and poignant, even if I don’t agree. Right now she seems to be stumbling as she tries to waffle between being able to go either way on the way the Capn vote leans.

Truly, the most self-conscious of acts: asking why he did a thing and then accepting his reasoning once he explained.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

CapnAndy posted:

Also, guys, just for the record? I promise you right now, I am always going to consider every possibility, and probably will mention them in my posts, especially when I'm trying to help. I think having a plan for being wrong is good play.

I'm going to ##vote CapnAndy but in reality he should be replaced by the mod with one of the backups; this amount of self-inflicted backpatting has surely caused andy to tear several ligaments, taking him out of the season

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

a followup: why would you need to clarify that you do this when you try to help? would you not do it as scum?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

a followup: why would you need to clarify that you do this when you try to help? would you not do it as scum?

yeah but in a more sinister fashion

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Epsilon Plus posted:

poo poo, good point. That was a dumb thing to say.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CapnAndy posted:

who do you think is scum

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Feel good about this post

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Khris Kruel posted:

This screams scum to me.

You are agreeing with someone that you are uneasy about your case, however you double down on your case that you feel uneasy about in interrogating the person you like the case the most of.

This is dumb and you should look again at who made a case, because you seem to have imagined or made up one from me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

who do you think is scum
Nobody yet, it is D1 and we have no actionable information.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

CapnAndy posted:

That hasn't ever stopped other people.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CapnAndy posted:

errr, you sure seemed to have made a judgment call on Liger being townie?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Leith Maclaine posted:

That hasn't ever stopped other people.
Doesn't mean I have to agree! D1 is a weak day and only good for collecting posts you can go back over once you know something.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

Doesn't mean I have to agree! D1 is a weak day and only good for collecting posts you can go back over once you know something.

Nah

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I've played at least one game where town got scum D1

Maybe this'll be another

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think someone needs to have scum reads less than 12 hours since the game opened, and less than a few hours since joke phase ended.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Sure did. I don't think anyone is scum right now, I just told you.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

CapnAndy posted:

True, but as Sandwolf pointed out, you did say that Liger was at best an "unhelpful townie" which means you do have an opinion already, but you are backing away from it.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Sandwolf posted:

A judgement call feeling good about someone is way different than casing someone for being scummy early on when there's nothing and willfully/ignorantly pointing people in directions you don't really believe if you're town yourself. Actually happy he didn't fake a case to appease a question you posed

Might do my defensive root em out town playstyle again this game but drat sure not calling anybody scummy until I actually ~feel it~

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Deadbeat Dad posted:

A judgement call feeling good about someone is way different than casing someone for being scummy early on when there's nothing and willfully/ignorantly pointing people in directions you don't really believe if you're town yourself. Actually happy he didn't fake a case to appease a question you posed

Might do my defensive root em out town playstyle again this game but drat sure not calling anybody scummy until I actually ~feel it~

that's all well and good, I don't really disagree, I thought the characterization of "there's no actionable info" as kinda bullshit though, considering he, himself, is calling someone townie rn

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

I see several people have pointed out at this but I think it's a scumpost. It's a big long post rationalizing a vote against Liger and ending without a vote on liger. It feels like it's preparation for a real vote on liger but it feels forced.

The very last paragraph is the worst part though, if you think he's scummy, vote him. Don't plea to him to save himself? If you don't think he's scum, why write the big long post detailing why you think it's scummy?

##vote Cap'n Andy

I think this spends too many words trying to dress up "CapnAndy posted about a guy but didn't vote for him" as an essay, and that argument always struck me as an unhelpful cliche to begin with.

Sandwolf posted:

ok, but then why write all the words on why you think he's disingenuous?

We usually use "disingenuous" to describe someone play-acting at how much they know to cover up their alignment - CapnAndy is saying (clearly enough, I thought) that Liger was being disingenuous by, as town, covering up an emotional reaction with an unhelpful layer of armor. I'm not sure that what's Liger was doing, but CapnAndy's reaction reads genuine enough. I think this is trying to awkwardly force a contradiction into a post where there isn't one.

Sandwolf posted:

Saying there's nothing actionable to case someone on is different from saying you read someone as town, obviously.

All of this in service of the point that I think Sandwolf's trying to hop onto the bandwagon with posts propped up on some pretty artificial reasoning.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
I am much happier with my vote now.

CapnAndy posted:

This is not hte stance of town that comes under suspicion. this is the stance of scum wanting to no longer be talked about.

Town will take their position to find out who casting suspicion / voting for them is scum.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

that's all well and good, I don't really disagree, I thought the characterization of "there's no actionable info" as kinda bullshit though, considering he, himself, is calling someone townie rn
Nobody's dead. Nobody's flipped. Nobody's role-claimed. Nobody has claimed investigation results. Nobody's even lore claimed. There is no actionable information in this game yet. Those are all objectively true statements.

I think a townie is more likely to get angry over a bad case and behave unhelpfully out of spite than scum is. This one's admittedly subjective, but I don't think it contradicts with any of the other stuff?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

There have been a few flavor claims, actually.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CapnAndy posted:

Nobody's dead. Nobody's flipped. Nobody's role-claimed. Nobody has claimed investigation results. Nobody's even lore claimed. There is no actionable information in this game yet. Those are all objectively true statements.

I think a townie is more likely to get angry over a bad case and behave unhelpfully out of spite than scum is. This one's admittedly subjective, but I don't think it contradicts with any of the other stuff?

The latter point I take no issue with!

The prior point I take issue with! If that's all you consider actionable information, you're not gonna have much to go on D1. This really does feel like you're trying to cover up for not having any reads because you're scum.

Do you think how I've been pursuing you has been scummy, for example?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My flavor claim: I am Goku, and I'm here to destroy Freiza and his goons. Join me but know that he is the most powerful being in the universe with a power level of over 1 million!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

ASAPRockySituation posted:

My flavor claim: I am Goku, and I'm here to destroy Freiza and his goons. Join me but know that he is the most powerful being in the universe with a power level of over 1 million!

you can't be Goku I'M GOKU

NO

loving

DOUBLES!!!!!

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Epsilon Plus posted:

NO

loving

DOUBLES!!!!!

I mean...some doubles....

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I feel okay about Andy, has similar thought processes as me atm.

What do you disagree with?

I agree in essence. You can easily catch scum D1 but on the whole it's a lot of posturing and confusion until people start to flip and you can see who is earnestly defending another person or potentially bussing or trying to look good. In the moment D1 is usually just chaos and uncertainty, but I'm sure some of us have our methods for weeding a lot of that out and not just writing off D1 as only a crapshoot. Maybe the wording of "only good" is a bit strong from Andy but if we're comparing it to later days where we have more information to work off of, obviously I agree.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I agree in essence. You can easily catch scum D1 but on the whole it's a lot of posturing and confusion until people start to flip and you can see who is earnestly defending another person or potentially bussing or trying to look good. In the moment D1 is usually just chaos and uncertainty, but I'm sure some of us have our methods for weeding a lot of that out and not just writing off D1 as only a crapshoot. Maybe the wording of "only good" is a bit strong from Andy but if we're comparing it to later days where we have more information to work off of, obviously I agree.

You can do more than just collect posts on D1.

Getting people to talk and interact and play the game is super valuable, and the basic process of scumhunting without relying on relative distance to flipped or otherwise confirmed players is the same on D1 as on any other day. Sure, you don't have all the tools, but you can still use a few.

Sorry if my wording is weird, I'm dealing with an obnoxious cocktail of nausea, headache, dehydration, chills, and bloating.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Epsilon Plus posted:

NO

loving

DOUBLES!!!!!

Actually, I move so fast that it often appears that I am in two places at once. We call this...the duality of Goku.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

You guys just don't believe in yourselves enough.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's starting to come back to me...
##vote merk
always a good first vote ##vote merk

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

zzyzx posted:

You guys just don't believe in yourselves enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Humalong posted:

“Oh cool the game started”

*97 new posts*

“gently caress I should not have signed up for such a large game”
I woke up to 330 :gibs: