Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Obviously musicians are inspired by each other, I'm one in my professional life and pick up ideas from different places all the time. But there's a difference between inspiration and plagiarism, just like there's a difference between a similar key or chord progression and straight up jacking a melody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
luckily, copyright infringement is over

Big Bizness posted:

Obviously musicians are inspired by each other, I'm one in my professional life and pick up ideas from different places all the time. But there's a difference between inspiration and plagiarism, just like there's a difference between a similar key or chord progression and straight up jacking a melody.

yeah, and that happened in literally none of those.

this would be like siding against Men At Work in the lawsuit about Land Down Under and the Kookaburra song

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Someone post the video of the guy making 40 songs off the same chord

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

morallyobjected posted:

luckily, copyright infringement is over

yeah, and that happened in literally none of those.

this would be like siding against Men At Work in the lawsuit about Land Down Under and the Kookaburra song

You don't think Jailbait / Still More Fighting is derivative? Or the chuck Mangione tune? Come on man. They are identical.

And by the way, if you want to be all :actually: about it, the experiment you linked to only includes 8 notes in C major in a 12 note melodic sequence, and doesn't account for rhythm, timbre or tempo. Music is more then just algorithms

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Big Bizness posted:

You don't think Jailbait / Still More Fighting is derivative? Or the chuck Mangione tune? Come on man. They are identical.

derivative? absolutely. plagiarised/identical? no. if you assume that's the source, he borrowed (part of) a riff and then did something completely different with it by the second bar and moved on from there. please go to 0:40 in Still More Fighting and tell me what part of Jailbait that melody comes from. he absolutely borrows, but calling that poo poo plagiarism is what leads us to lawsuits like that bullshit case against Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams for plagiarising the "feel" of Marvin Gaye's Got to Give it Up

Big Bizness posted:

And by the way, if you want to be all :actually: about it, the experiment you linked to only includes 8 notes in C major in a 12 note melodic sequence, and doesn't account for rhythm, timbre or tempo. Music is more then just algorithms

this part of the post was a joke. I am also a musician.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Musician fight! Musician fight!!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Musician fight! Musician fight!!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dance-off, bro!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Has there been any sign of FF16?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably not until FF7R wraps up.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Eox posted:

Has there been any sign of FF16?

There's a super secret project that the FF14 director has taken on with only a couple vague teaser images to its name but that indicates nothing

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 16, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF7R exists. R is the 18th letter of the alphabet, meaning the game is FF718.

7+1+8 = 16.

FF7R is FF16, and of course 1 + 6=7 which just further proves that FF16 is merely FF7.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

There's a super secret project that the FF14 director has taken on with only a couple vague teaser images to its name but that indicates nothing

Yoshi-P being in charge of FF16 would be a dream come true.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fister Roboto posted:

Yoshi-P being in charge of FF16 would be a dream come true.

Maybe they take another crack at FF12 style combat, with FF14 style encounters/job system. FF12 bosses are loving boring as poo poo, but they could have done so much more with that combat system.

Also I hope they have a shirtless protagonist and dress up Yoshi-p as him at the reveal.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
One of the most famous Japanese VAs in the industry Keiji Fukuwara has passed away from cancer (though the English wikipedia has not caught up as of this writing), amongst a roughly billion different roles he voiced Ardyn in XV and Reno in all VII stuff including the remake.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it's original enough, they're babies. and i like both songs

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Raxivace posted:

FF7R exists. R is the 18th letter of the alphabet, meaning the game is FF718.

7+1+8 = 16.

FF7R is FF16, and of course 1 + 6=7 which just further proves that FF16 is merely FF7.

An Uchikoshi fan, I see.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kanfy posted:

One of the most famous Japanese VAs in the industry Keiji Fukuwara has passed away from cancer (though the English wikipedia has not caught up as of this writing), amongst a roughly billion different roles he voiced Ardyn in XV and Reno in all VII stuff including the remake.

Oh poo poo, that's a real shame.

Could this mean Reno isn't going to appear in future installments as per Japanese tradition?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

Not sure where this 'Japanese tradition' thing came from but there's plenty of examples where they recast characters, just off the the top of my head Lupin III and Claire from Cold Steel.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 16, 2020

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

No

Not sure where this 'Japanese tradition' thing came from but there's plenty of examples where they recast characters, just off the the top of my head Lupin III and Claire from Cold Steel.

It happens from time to time when a VA passes, at least for a little while. It's not common and it rarely sticks on any major character in a big franchise, but it does occur.

Most famous example I can think of is Tekken, when they retired Old Heihachi for a bit after Daisuke Gori died, even going so far as to create a wacky plot excuse to have young Heihachi show up for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (as well as have young Heihachi be the character that showed up in crossover stuff at the time like Playstation All Stars and Project X-Zone) But even that got undone when they finally released the next main game in the Tekken line and Heihachi was back to being a 70+ year old man.

That said, for a game as high-profile as FF7 Remake, with a bunch of plot beats already kinda set in stone due to the source material? Reno'll be recast 100%.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They should get Quinton Flynn to do it, reading phonetically written Japanese. :colbert:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Agents are GO! posted:

They should get Quinton Flynn to do it, reading phonetically written Japanese. :colbert:

While I really liked Quinton Flynn as Reno, his new VA (Arnie Pantoja) loving knocked it out of the park.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

While a lot of the FFVIIR remixes are good, I'm kinda missing those heavy basslines that gave the original Uematsu versions that extra "oomph". I feel like Soken is the only modern SE composer that really knows how to capture that feel.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No joke Uematsu excels at killer bass lines.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I am mostly furious that there's no Remake version of one of the best Midgar tracks from the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPBeyU2V4U

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It makes no sense that they rebranded SaGa into "Final Fantasy Legend" when they brought it to the States. I get why they used the Final Fantasy name. But they could have easily called it "Final Fantasy Saga."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Final Fantasy Legend is just Final Fantasy Saga run through a translator who thought Legend fit better in English. SaGa wasn't exactly a brand they had to be married to by the time FFL came out and translators jobs are things like taking Englishisms crammed into japanese and wondering if the English is ok to use outright or if the Englishism could be better translated. For accuracy or probably in this case marketing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I get that, but the Japanese box and cart have the word SAGA in big English. I'm no translator, but I have a feeling if it were me back in 1990 localizing it, I would gone the no brainer route.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
"CREATOR went to pieces: The Final Fantasy Legend" has a pretty good ring to it, to me.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I started The Zodiac Age today, and the combat is taking some getting used to. It feels like it's stuck somewhere between a turn based game and a real time Tales-like game, which means I instinctively press more buttons than I need to be pressing. The setting feels pretty vibrant an hour and a half in, so I'm definitely sticking with it for now.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I started The Zodiac Age today, and the combat is taking some getting used to. It feels like it's stuck somewhere between a turn based game and a real time Tales-like game, which means I instinctively press more buttons than I need to be pressing. The setting feels pretty vibrant an hour and a half in, so I'm definitely sticking with it for now.

just imagine playing the original, when a lot of the most useful gambits were locked until like mid to end game

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

morallyobjected posted:

just imagine playing the original, when a lot of the most useful gambits were locked until like mid to end game

I think even in Zodiac Age the gambits don't really open up until after Barheim Passage, so at an hour and a half in I don't think they have them yet.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You don't really need complicated gambits for a while though so it's not that bad really.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m playing FFXIII and I do not know what this paradigm shift is about. Should I be sticking to a holy trinity of sentinel-medic-commando/ravager? Or should I just stick to all DPS all the time with potions for when we get bashed? Sure seems like just beating up enemies as hard a possible is the good stuff.

It’s odd that FFXII has an infinitely better battle system and it’s just autoattacks and if-then statements repeated a billion times.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The key to ff13 is constantly switching paradigms.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jokes posted:

I’m playing FFXIII and I do not know what this paradigm shift is about. Should I be sticking to a holy trinity of sentinel-medic-commando/ravager? Or should I just stick to all DPS all the time with potions for when we get bashed? Sure seems like just beating up enemies as hard a possible is the good stuff.

It’s odd that FFXII has an infinitely better battle system and it’s just autoattacks and if-then statements repeated a billion times.

3 things to keep in mind to help FFXIII click

1) You heal to full at the end of the fight and there is no MP. There is no difference between winning a fight at full health and winning a fight at half health. You wont need to use sentinel at all until about 2/3rds of the way into the game and even then they are best used sparingly. You will probably never use healing items in combat ever.
2) Every other time the ATB fills full you bank a full atb bar for your next paradigm shift. This means its totally fine to run low on health without a healer and then paradigm shift to your heal setup, take the immediate burst of healing, then revert back to the original paradigm. It also means you can open up even larger cans of woopass on enemies by going from attack paradigm 1-> attack paradigm 2. For instance com Rav rav to com com com once the enemy goes into stagger. Hell some optimal strats are to have two of the same paradigms so you can swap between them for the atb
3) Buffs and Debuffs are absolutely massive. Importantly Saboteurs stall out the stagger gauge decay just as good as a commando, so having a saboteur and a ravager is a really smart opener. In addition, the AI will memorize what debuffs do and do not work after their trial and error, or if you use libra it will instantly know. Use sabs like crazy

In summary, you play FFXIII extremely aggressively, with your goal to in every fight but 1 main boss fight to maintain the stagger gauge while trying to whittle down enemy health or defenses and minimizing the time you spend healing/using sentinel. Medic and Sentinel are your "oh shiiiit" buttons when you need to recover pace or youre doing the loving godawful listen to me when I tell you this post game grind.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 17, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

jokes posted:

don't stick to anything, switching paradigms gives you free ATB charges so you should be switching a lot so that you just get to do more actions

Treat your paradigms like you treat commands in other JRPGs. Think of CRR as a "Build Stagger" command, CCC as an "Attack" command, anything with Synergist and Saboteur as "Buff/Debuff", Sentinel-Medic-Commando as "Defend" and Sentinel-Medic-Medic as "Heal".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like FF13 shouldn't even let you input your basic attack chains because I feel like that misleads people about what the combat system is actually about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

one other FFXIII thing thats more relevant than you might realize, you can have a character act earlier than their ATB gauge filling to full by pressing Y. This is most useful for sentinels so they switch to defensive stance ASAP and for commandos and ravs to attack enemies and hitstun them while the rest of your teams atb charges up. You can similarly cancel a turn in progress with B and save all the so far unspent ATB which, yeah you get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Barudak posted:

You will probably never use healing items in combat ever.

Caveat that Potions are great in the first few Chapters, much easier than switching to a MED.