Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Might be fun to compare against a modern bottle even if it isn't the best whisky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1te_miu5I

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Drinking Clynelish 14 as my Lockdown dram tonight.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Looks like someone found a way to buy 66 different whiskeys and write them off as a business expense :D

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/whiskey-webs-serve-as-fingerprints-to-distinguish-between-american-whiskeys/

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
Just found out I got tenure today, and there's not much I can do to celebrate other than drink good whisky. I'm in Ontario, and the LCBO doesn't have that many appealing options at the moment. Ardbeg Uigeadail is my absolute favorite and Talisker 10 my everyday favorite, to give you a sense of my tastes. I was thinking one of the following:
- Bruichladdich Octomore 10.1
- Talisker 15
- Laphroaig Lore
Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
definitely the octomore

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Ok thanks!

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I've never had Octomore, but Ardbeg Uigeadail is my favorite as well and the Octomore would be my pick too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Octomore is a hedonistic delight and the ppm is well under control.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Oakland Martini posted:

Just found out I got tenure today

Congratulations on your tenure! A milestone in the career of any educator is the perfect excuse to celebrate with a good dram of Scotch. Where do teach in Ontario (and if you say Sunny Vale pre-school I’ll probably lmfao)? In all seriousness though; goons making it in the “real world” always makes me happy.

quote:

- Bruichladdich Octomore 10.1

Say no more.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Congratulations on your tenure! A milestone in the career of any educator is the perfect excuse to celebrate with a good dram of Scotch. Where do teach in Ontario (and if you say Sunny Vale pre-school I’ll probably lmfao)? In all seriousness though; goons making it in the “real world” always makes me happy.

Much appreciated! I work at UofT.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My Ardbeg 10 finally arrived today and it's great. Generally similar to the Laphroaig QC I have, but I can definitely taste the subtle differences. I also ordered some Taiwanese whisky while I was at it, because it was available and since I go to Taiwan every year, I decided to give it a shot. Tastes really good, it's probably more similar to a non-islay scotch.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Dramicus posted:

My Ardbeg 10 finally arrived today and it's great. Generally similar to the Laphroaig QC I have, but I can definitely taste the subtle differences.

Is that so? I drank my Ardbeg 10yo and Laphroaig QC samples within a week and to me there was a huge difference. Both are very smokey but the Ardbeg was much „clearer“ and sweeter while the Laph had a lot of phenol and earthy notes.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Neco posted:

Is that so? I drank my Ardbeg 10yo and Laphroaig QC samples within a week and to me there was a huge difference. Both are very smokey but the Ardbeg was much „clearer“ and sweeter while the Laph had a lot of phenol and earthy notes.

You're the first person I've ever heard claim Ardbeg is sweeter than Laphroaig...I consider the latter to the sweetest house style on all of Islay. Kilchoman might be second. Quarter Cask also tastes more crisp to me since it's both slightly higher proof and younger. QC is woodier, drier, perhaps slightly astringent. Ardbeg 10 is light, "wet," grassy, slightly lemony.

Both are quite phenolic.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Neco posted:

Well, they are clearly different, I meant generally in a literal general sense. The QC and 10 are more alike than they are to a bourbon, for example. But I also have a Laphroaig Select, and I think the Quarter Cask is closer in taste to the Ardbeg 10. Anyway, I find it all delicious.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I am trapped in a desolate wasteland that seems to hate peat, so I can't find any of the scotches I know and love - all that's available out here is highland stuff and a billion kinds of bourbon. So I've been starting to explore non-scotch whiskeys a little and some of them have been pretty tasty, but nothing that really hits me with the smoke I crave. Any labels I should be keeping a watch for? I did notice some Connamara last time I was out, but didn't feel like an $80 gamble at the moment so skipped it - impressions on that also welcomed. Thanks, all.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

I am trapped in a desolate wasteland that seems to hate peat, so I can't find any of the scotches I know and love - all that's available out here is highland stuff and a billion kinds of bourbon. So I've been starting to explore non-scotch whiskeys a little and some of them have been pretty tasty, but nothing that really hits me with the smoke I crave. Any labels I should be keeping a watch for? I did notice some Connamara last time I was out, but didn't feel like an $80 gamble at the moment so skipped it - impressions on that also welcomed. Thanks, all.

Would be helpful if you could provide your location or maybe a website of a store that has a representative inventory for your area.

Wildcard suggestion: If you want smokey aromas might be worthwhile to get into Mezcal.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If you like whiskey cocktails and can get to a Trader Joes, the un-aged Lismore makes a fantastic Manhattan.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Would be helpful if you could provide your location or maybe a website of a store that has a representative inventory for your area.

Wildcard suggestion: If you want smokey aromas might be worthwhile to get into Mezcal.

I'm in Lincoln, NE - I'd give you some links but nobody I'm aware of has inventory on their website.

And I love the hell out of Mezcal.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm in Lincoln, NE - I'd give you some links but nobody I'm aware of has inventory on their website.

And I love the hell out of Mezcal.

I’ve never had it, so take it with a grain of salt, but high west makes a blended whisky called ‘campfire’ that I think is some mix of Islay scotch, rye, and bourbon. It’s a really common find around here.

Maybe look up some reviews on it first.

That’s the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

DoctaFun posted:

I’ve never had it, so take it with a grain of salt, but high west makes a blended whisky called ‘campfire’ that I think is some mix of Islay scotch, rye, and bourbon. It’s a really common find around here.

Maybe look up some reviews on it first.

That’s the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

This stuff is pretty decent and will scratch the itch if you can't find any proper islay

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Campfire is great. Rye spice and peat smoke make a surprisingly good combination.

Balcones brimstone is a Texas corn whiskey with wood smoke added. I haven't tried it but it sounds delicious and seems highly regarded. I'll try to get some delivered today.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Brimstone is kinda like Iron Smoke, in that it's less of a peaty smoke and more of a smoked barbecue smoked. Ironwood especially tastes like applewood. Dunno about Balcones, but Iron Smoke smokes their wheat prior to it's use in the mashbill, and it really sets it apart from a peaty scotch.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Currently sipping some Springbank 12 Cask Strength. Seems my senses of smell and taste still function.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I felt like i needed to stock up a little after killing a couple of bottles off during social isolation lockdown.

Being in Europe, we don't get a huge selection of bourbon, but I wanted a workhorse and something interesting, so I got a bottle of good old Buffalo Trace and a bottle of George Dickel Rye. I can't believe I've never had BT, which seems like such an odd gap in my experience.

I grabbed a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 too, because it's just amazing and beautiful.

And a bottle of Smith & Cross Traditional Navy Strength Jamaican rum, because it's silly cheap and I want to see if it really is the rum answer to Laphroaig.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I forgot how good Sanaig is

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I have a bottle of blantons gold that is maybe 80% full, and to be honest, my first drink out of it was not very impressive.

I came back to it last night and it’s definitely improved, but it’s a fairly odd bottle for me. The mouthfeel is really good, I really like oily/thick textured drams. But the taste is kind of odd. It really really tastes like a normal bottle of Buffalo Trace, which I often find light and almost slightly floral. I know BT has a different mashbill.

It’s not as strong vanilla that my other bottle of blantons has, just kind of a light bourbon flavor.

Weird, I give it an A- on the mouthfeel and probably a B- on the flavor. Kind of a bummer. Maybe my palate was off from Easter feaster, cause normally I find that really ‘thick’ bourbons follow with a heavy palate.

I tried some Straight from the barrel over Christmas and that had one of the most intense vanilla/caramel noses/palates I’ve ever had.

In summary, not worth secondary price, I’d rather get a couple bottles of stagg jr, rare breed, etc. unless it changes for me!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Smith & Cross Jamaican rum first sip report (since there seems to be no dedicated rum thread): I was expecting something like an ester-filled boxing glove to the face, based on the reviews. Perhaps I am a bit jaded from exposure to young super peaty cask strength whisky, but it wasn't nearly as aggressive as I was expecting.

You absolutely get heavy overripe bananas and all the classical fruits on the nose, slightly less on the side of rotten banana compared to the Plantation Barbados rum I've had in my cabinet for a while. It is certainly heavy on the esters, there's a bunch of complexity to explore there.

Taste-wise it continues on the same track, more esters that I'll have to dig into before I can identify all of them, and plenty of pot still funk, some spice and overall just very bold and big and round and rum-y, the rummiest rum I've ever rummed. The burn is surprisingly mild for 57%, and 235 DKK ($35) is Jack Daniels/Jim Beam price territory, which means I'll probably keep a bottle or two in the cabinet at all times from now on.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
S&C is fantastic, funky gunpowder for me. Makes a cool, weird daiquiri. A half ounce can add a lot of depth to a cocktail that would normally be weird with rum in it. The poor rum thread died a couple years back.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Just learned of rumors New Riff is going to be releasing peated bourbon and rye this summer, which I'm excited to try assuming it isn't unobtanium.

Retail is supposed to be $49.99.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Smith & Cross Jamaican rum first sip report (since there seems to be no dedicated rum thread): I was expecting something like an ester-filled boxing glove to the face, based on the reviews. Perhaps I am a bit jaded from exposure to young super peaty cask strength whisky, but it wasn't nearly as aggressive as I was expecting.

You absolutely get heavy overripe bananas and all the classical fruits on the nose, slightly less on the side of rotten banana compared to the Plantation Barbados rum I've had in my cabinet for a while. It is certainly heavy on the esters, there's a bunch of complexity to explore there.

Taste-wise it continues on the same track, more esters that I'll have to dig into before I can identify all of them, and plenty of pot still funk, some spice and overall just very bold and big and round and rum-y, the rummiest rum I've ever rummed. The burn is surprisingly mild for 57%, and 235 DKK ($35) is Jack Daniels/Jim Beam price territory, which means I'll probably keep a bottle or two in the cabinet at all times from now on.

Ah, yes the good old S&C. So much bang for the buck. I think I paid €25 the last time. Great stuff.

There is a rum thread btw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551855

It's not nearly as active as this thread though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spankmeister posted:

Ah, yes the good old S&C. So much bang for the buck. I think I paid €25 the last time. Great stuff.

There is a rum thread btw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551855

It's not nearly as active as this thread though.

Well yeah, last post in 2018 and archived ;)

It's not quite ripe for a reopening yet, probably needs a year or two more in the cask.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Well yeah, last post in 2018 and archived ;)

It's not quite ripe for a reopening yet, probably needs a year or two more in the cask.

I didn't even notice lol.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In other news: Been going a little overboard buying liquor lately. Drinking a bit more during the lockdown than usual but nothing crazy, so the collection is growing. Focussing more on finishing off leftovers to make room for shiny new stuff than anything else tbh.

One bottle that I ordered yesterday on a whim is Jack Daniels (yes) Bottled in Bond.

Yeah they do a BiB now! It was reasonably priced( €42 for a liter) so I snatched one up to fill out an order of Deanston 12 and 18 to get free shipping. (I'm a sucker for that trick.)

I really like the BiB concept.
Bottled at higher proof, zero additives, minimum of four years of age, distillery must be stated clearly on the label, and if not bottled at distillery must be clearly stated. And lastly what's unique I think is has to be distilled in one distilling season.

That really means zero funny business. No sourced spirit in a fancy bottle. (Whistlepig anyone? Not that it's bad but..) No blending of hundreds or thousands of barrels per batch. Just an honest expression of a distillery's product.

Has anyone had this version of Jack? Seen a few reviews on YouTube and it looks promising.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I finally got a vault invite from ABC and had to make a quick decision. I chose William Larue over Van Winkle 10 / 12, Weller 12 and Bowman Brothers which I'd never heard of. I done good?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

asciidic posted:

I finally got a vault invite from ABC and had to make a quick decision. I chose William Larue over Van Winkle 10 / 12, Weller 12 and Bowman Brothers which I'd never heard of. I done good?

if you're going to drink it, yes, 100%
if you want to trade it/sell it secondary, the VW10 or VW12 might have a little more value.
It's dumb that regular Weller 12 is even allocated

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
William Larue Well is $700-$800 on secondary so it's worth more than the VW 10 or 12. You did good and please send me the bottles, k thx.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
So, I recently found myself some decent (?) quality high proof alcohol that I have absolutely no use for outside of hand sanitizer and I decided to experiment some. Seeing as I have no old barrels lying around I decided to try basically every trick in the moonshiner's handbook to make something drinkable out of all this mess.

So I'm gonna use an ultrasonic cleaner to wood the diluted stuff (bout 55%) with charred and toasted sticks of dried birch, oxygenate it by airing, then chill filter it through activated charcoal on to a bottle with another stick or two of wood, and leave it in the attic for a good six months at first. Gonna be completely unscientific about it too since I don't know the first thing about anything like this, probably gonna be undrinkable but then it's undrinkable now so no great loss.

I'll post about it when I get poisoned and die.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Pa says I can shoot the revenuers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
:banjo: