Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Reading the OP, it's petty clear about what does and doesn't count: it has to both be in continuity and be an official part of the series. The Thing is not in contention because the reboot is part of a different continuity than the original, and while Snyder's film is part of the NOTLD franchise, it isn't part of the original series' continuity so it doesn't count. Prometheus does count because it's part of the same continuity as Alien from a rights and creative standpoint. Remakes and reboots would have to qualify as a separate entrant with 3+ films in the rebooted continuity, but I can't think of a single horror franchise that's made it past 2 films in a rebooted continuity.

As for the official part, the very basis of a franchise implies ownership—some person, company, or legal entity overseeing the series. If there is no continuity of ownership, creative or legal, then it's just a fan film, as we see with the extended NOTLD stuff. So based on the rules set up in the OP, even if something tries to adhere to continuity but isn't connected to the original from a legal or creative standpoint, it doesn't count. No "spiritual sequels" here—though I'd personally make an exception if the original creators were involved, which I'm sure there are a handful of examples. But Soldier is not a part of the Blade Runner franchise despite the handful of loose connections.

I can write a Sherlock Holmes story because the character is in the public domain, but nobody is going to argue that it's officially part of the series just because I say it is and tried to keep my events technically in continuity with the events of the original stories. But because not all original Sherlock Holmes stories are in the public domain yet, the Conan Doyle Estate Ltd can still create a new official title in that series. At least until 2023 when those free up, after which there is no such thing as continuity in that series moving forward.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

feedmyleg posted:

Reading the OP, it's petty clear about what does and doesn't count in this situation. Just look to the example of The Thing not being in contention—continuity is a built-in part of this exercise, and while Snyder's Dawn is part of the NOTLD franchise, it isn't part of the original series' continuity so it doesn't count. Prometheus does count because it's part of the same continuity as Alien from a rights standpoint. Remakes and reboots would have to qualify on their own 3+ films in continuity rule, and I can't think of a single horror franchise that's made it past 2 films in a rebooted continuity.

No matter where you draw the line, the water is muddy. If continuity is the decider then what about Halloween 3? By that argument it doesn't count.

Remakes and reboots aren't that clear cut either. Sometimes the continuity forks. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a good example. They did four films. They rebooted it and did two. Then they did two more that were sequels to the original 1974 film, discounting everything else that was made. What counts and what doesn't there?

I agree that we shouldn't count all of the NotLD spin-offs Fulci's Zombi (though I think it probably deserved its own spot over Evil Bong), because those movies are only related for business reasons and because of the unique public domain circumstances surrounding Night of the Living Dead. However, other than that I think the clearest guiding principle is just "Do most people consider this part of the same franchise?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fair, I think that we've all got to use our own interpretation of the rules beyond the official/continuity factors. Personally I would count Halloween III because it had the same creative talent behind it and was intended as part of the franchise at time of creation, but I could easily see someone else not thinking that and having that also be a valid interpretation. To me, if something is part of a branching continuity then everything counts. There are multiple Halloween continuities, but because you could draw a line back to the original and out to another branch it counts in my book.

But I'd love to see how voting would split if we pitted each Halloween continuity against the others.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Id be interested in how this tournament wouldve turned out if we only used the best three movies in each franchise, sort of like how you compare the starters on different teams not their depth at, like, long snapper

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it still would have come to whatever anyone was feeling. You can tell someone "no, even though that one has 4 good movies this one's best 3 are better" but its probably not gonna persuade them if they just like the 4 more.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm happy to not die on a hill over Friday Parts 3 and 5 only being ok.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Shrecknet posted:

Id be interested in how this tournament wouldve turned out if we only used the best three movies in each franchise, sort of like how you compare the starters on different teams not their depth at, like, long snapper

Can't believe anyone would float this idea after watching the endless Friday the 13th spats that endlessly arise on this forum at least once a week.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

F13 "best 3" decided by lotto-style ping pong ball machine

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

For a side project we could do ranked choice voting the way the seeds were decided except for a definitive CineD ranking of the Fridays.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

For a side project we could do ranked choice voting the way the seeds were decided except for a definitive CineD ranking of the Fridays.

CineD implodes like the house in Poltergeist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't need no "definitive CineD" opinion to tell me that Jason Lives is the best one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Isn't that what everyone is doing anyway? Like, the Alien franchise only has three good movies, but those movies are good enough to make me vote for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Isn't that what everyone is doing anyway? Like, the Alien franchise only has three good movies, but those movies are good enough to make me vote for it.

Sometimes the volume of mediocrity can drag a series down though. Like, if it was just the best three films then Hellraiser would be a stronger contender, but I think most people are probably downgrading Hellraiser because of how many forgettable sequels they've made in the past few decades.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I don't need no "definitive CineD" opinion to tell me that Jason Lives is the best one.

:hmmyes:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

TrixRabbi posted:

I asked for exactly this 2 pages ago :colbert:

I have finished Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator. While I really liked them both (loved the original) I will not be changing my vote from Alien(s).

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Random number generator determines which Friday is the best one, and hey would you look at that, it's Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Random number generator determines which Friday is the best one, and hey would you look at that, it's Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday!

That legit might be the only one no one thinks is the best.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It's a shame that Jason Goes to Hell has such an amazing opening too and then immediately just divebombs.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I can't wait for Wishmaster to wipe the floor with Friday 13th so we can at least postpone this discussion.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just want this round to be over and give us 3 weeks of reprieve.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

It's a shame that Jason Goes to Hell has such an amazing opening too and then immediately just divebombs.

The opening is funny in theory but the execution is so terrible.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I mean, I enjoy it for what it is. It has one of the best kills of the series up front (the sign post impaling) and then there's that great scene with the bounty hunter. Then it completely shits the bed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

The opening is funny in theory but the execution is so terrible.

Jason's design does not help

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So I gotta know. Has a single person voted for Ghoulies and if so what's your justification?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A big part of the reason that I voted for Ghoulies is because I knew nobody else would and I felt like I had to give it some love. The rest of the reason is that Ghoulies 2 takes place at a haunted carnival and I adore it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you take historical significance out of the equation(I wouldn't but maybe some people are), I can see why someone might vote Ghoulies just because they might be so sick of zombies at this point. I know I am, I really have a hard time getting excited to watch a new zombie flick these days. Even Train to Busan didn't really do much for me, as well made as it clearly was.

Like, all things being equal if you asked me on any given night if I'd rather watch a movie about little funny looking goblin monsters running around or a zombie movie, I'm taking the little puppet monsters every time. Romero's Dead films are a different beast though, for obvious reasons.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah. Like, the Romero films are next level. I think you can argue that Night of the Living Dead is not only the greatest horror film ever made, it's one of the ten greatest films ever made. It's easily as innovative and influential as Citizen Kane, Breathless, Birth of a Nation*, any of those films that came along and changed everything in one fell swoop. If any series deserves to win this entire tournament, this is the one.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Ghoulies 2 owns but there’s no contest when it’s up against the Romero films

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
One thing I'd put against Night of the Living Dead, and it's kind of a weird argument, is that its presentation almost creates an illusion of subversion. NotLD presents itself as a goofy monster movie and then ends in what is probably the mot devastating gut punch of any movie. But because it does go for a corny vibe at first, is black and white, and I believe is using library music, it retroactively seems older than it is. It's easy to forget that it came out the same year as Rosemary's Baby and only five years before The Exorcist. The Twilight Zone was rolling out episodes like "I Am the Night; Color Me Black" with very similar politics four years earlier.

You kind of lose over time that NotLD was kind of a throw back when it was released.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I have a lot of nostalgia for the Ghoulies movies (specifically for the VHS covers) but those first 3 Romero movies are so good. Zombie fatigue is definitely a thing but I can't fault the OG for Walking Dead running it into the ground.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started watching Ghoulies and dang this is not what I was expecting

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah Ghoulies 1 is not what you'd expect but it's a fun time. Ghoulies 2 is exactly what you'd expect and it's amazing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

About 24 hours of voting left. If you haven't shared this link https://forms.gle/JvSWUQtsVr5yjTaU7 on twitter to drum up support for Ghoulies or Final Destination, who are both on a knife's edge of winning or losing, do so now.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Threw a bone for Final Destination because I just powered through the series this week and it's basically a cartoon

That many people voted for Ghoulies?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Everyone who has never seen Ghoulies 2 should watch it tonight and tip the scales :coal:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm hoping that we have three zombie franchises moving forward into the next round. Fingers crossed!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If Romero loses to Ghoulies I'm going to go Falling Down on your asses.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 17, 2020

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Everyone who has never seen Ghoulies 2 should watch it tonight and tip the scales :coal:

I just watched the first two, and they're a lot more fun than I remember, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to stick with Romero here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Ghoulies 2 now that I think of it. I liked the first one well enough but I think that's all I saw.

But NotLD is one of those movies I just stop everything and watch when I come across it. And Dawn and Day are good. And Land is ok. Diary is bad. Never seen Survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Don't sleep on Ghoulies 2.