Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Ah ha ha ha, a counter. EDIT: Oh, it's a Heehee counter. I'd try to not pay too much attention to dialogue tics, just for your own sake. Paying too much attention could drive you insane.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ The Heehee counter---oh, man. That number is small. CS1 did this so little. Those were fine times. "Heehee" in Trails is like the word "Clench" in any fantasy fiction novel. Once you see how often it appears, you cannot unsee it. (OOPS, GUESS YOU'RE NOW CURSED TOO)

Oh don't worry, I already regretted that dumb joke the moment those words came out of my mouth.

- The new class arrangement is simple: girls in the front, boys in the back.

But why did everyone have to move? Even the people who were already in the right row got shuffled around except Rean (who has to be dead center (protagonist position)). I guess it's nice that Laura and Fie can sit next to each other now?

- You need more character profile notes to get the last medal. Some of those character notes come from certain specific bonding events. If you don't do those bonding events, you can miss out on some.

Guess we'll see about that one. I know we've already missed out on a few of them for the main characters.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Millium rules, y'all just haters. (I got serious scrappy doo vibes from her early on, but she really does sort of meld with the others, and, honestly, Class 7 doesn't feel right anymore without her.)

Level 1 Thief posted:

It's entirely possible Millium will grow on us and become our new favorite and we'll be ashamed of our words and deeds. I'm not really betting on it though.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ You.... actually do mention Professor Layton fairly often.

but his name is Hershel what do you people want from me

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You missed a Heehee at 39:14.

GOD drat IT BEATRIX

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Guys, I have some terrible news:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

He lives on in our heart

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

60. Ferris Florald's Face Off

Here comes Millium!!

............there goes Millium.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The penguin is from Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection, and the weird girl is Noi from Nayuta no Kiseki. If you've wasted money on all the DLC accessories you should have a Ride-Along Noi in your inventory.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- The pool scene also changes a little if Laura is in the search party. Not by as much as having Jusis in, though.
- No no... "You should go to bed and lock the door. (Gaius, get a cart of bricks. Emma, get some mortar.)"
- Starting at Chapter 3, everyone on campus has a bonding event. Towa and Sara alternate between odd and even chapters.
- You do get to see Gaius' painting. I think it's in his Chapter 6 bonding event, but I'd have to check.
- Again, the pictures aren't very clear, but if you look carefully, there is something there. Alisa and Sharon's photos are of Alisa's parents with a very young Alisa standing in front. Rean's is of the Schwarzer family.
- It's surprisingly strenuous just holding an item at arms length for a while, so yes, that probably would be good training.
- Good idea checking in with Mitch. Next chapter he'll have the Golden Bell quartz available. I personally recommend that one for use with level 5 Angel because it makes the casting delay of Fortuna (+25% ATS/ADF) effectively zero. (That means you can buff your ATS/ADF from 0 to +50% instantly for possibly the entire party - that's big.)
- This concert is admittedly the most interesting bonding event Elliot gets.
- What changed to get you to unlocking the third Lionheart medal? Let me check, I'm sure someone has a guide for the notes... Either talking to Emily on the Academy field on the date 8/21 ("yesterday"), or yeah, talking to Instructor Mary on that same day. I'm pretty sure it was from talking to Emily though, because the first time you talked with Mary you got the note, then you talked to her again and didn't get the medal reward cutscene.
- You don't get the fourth medal until the final chapter, even though you have all three of the prerequisites.
- For the evening bonding event I recommend Machias' scene. You guys don't seem that keen on the Towa path, so not real urgency to make her event 'canon'.
- We've seen the party weapons vanish into Hammerspace, so if you have that, why not keep it on you at all times? Alisa might have her bow on her possibly just because she might get called in to the Old Schoolhouse to explore, but another possibility is in case Ferris challenged her to an archery contest.
- Good choice to see Alisa's bonding event, the events in this one do stick for good.
- Be warned: The Old Schoolhouse boss is nasty. Really nasty. You might be fine since it's normal difficulty, but it's an rear end in a top hat on higher difficulty. Gaius is not a great choice for fighting the boss, even if he is equipped. (Just because anything he can do, other party members can do better.)
- EDIT: If you take Alisa into the Old Schoolhouse and have Rean linked with her for most of the battles, you can probably get Rean's link with her to level 4 with the completion bonus (and she is a good choice for the boss). (I don't believe you've seen their victory quote either).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 17, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

- Be warned: The Old Schoolhouse boss is nasty. Really nasty. You might be fine since it's normal difficulty, but it's an rear end in a top hat on higher difficulty. Gaius is not a great choice for fighting the boss, even if he is equipped. (Just because anything he can do, other party members can do better.)

~ Gaius has Turbulence which can inflict Blind. While the arts on the boss are really nasty, it's basic attack is also something that really helps if it's..... just not doing that.

~ But yeah, fainting it with either Millium or Fie is probably a better option, ultimately.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

- What changed to get you to unlocking the third Lionheart medal? Let me check, I'm sure someone has a guide for the notes... Either talking to Emily on the Academy field on the date 8/21 ("yesterday"), or yeah, talking to Instructor Mary on that same day. I'm pretty sure it was from talking to Emily though, because the first time you talked with Mary you got the note, then you talked to her again and didn't get the medal reward cutscene.

Yeah, looks like I was wrong about that one; it was both of them. Once both notes are in the book she gave me the medal on the same day, even if she just gave me her personal information, which is pretty funny.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Gaius has Turbulence which can inflict Blind. While the arts on the boss are really nasty, it's basic attack is also something that really helps if it's..... just not doing that.

~ But yeah, fainting it with either Millium or Fie is probably a better option, ultimately.

... I suppose, it is vulnerable to Blind and Nightmare and only reduces chances of being fainted by an additional 50%, but Fie and Millium are made of paper, and once people start falling, the fight becomes a death spiral. I would not use either of them for that reason.

The boss's art (singular) is annoying, but you can't reliably prevent it from casting. All you can really do is block the status effect. Its physical attacks are far worse, but the chance of being sealed is reduced by 80%.

But I am playing on higher difficulty levels, so it might not be as bad on Normal.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

... I suppose, it is vulnerable to Blind and Nightmare and only reduces chances of being fainted by an additional 50%, but Fie and Millium are made of paper, and once people start falling, the fight becomes a death spiral. I would not use either of them for that reason.

The boss's art (singular) is annoying, but you can't reliably prevent it from casting. All you can really do is block the status effect. Its physical attacks are far worse, but the chance of being sealed is reduced by 80%.

But I am playing on higher difficulty levels, so it might not be as bad on Normal.

I think we'll agree that it's one of the three hardest bosses in the game.

Millium is forced. So you may as well deck her out and go to work. Crow is also forced, and thankfully, extremely flexible, although, he's not really got anything super useful against this particular boss except his Master Quartz, which I'll discuss later and should probably be stuffed onto Fie or Gaius. The best abilities to use against this boss don't exist yet. That said, literally every character in this game is very useful, with very little counterfeiting, and no one is actually dead weight on any boss if you're willing to take the time to work around their strengths.

For the love of god, have someone cast Shining if you're not going to blind it. Insight status is stupidly good. It is plus 50% evade, plus 50% Accuracy, and plus 10% break odds. You should, by all rights, cast shining and also blind it, though. Gaius is an excellent choice to take to this fight on all difficulties because he can blind it, can get up in its grill and counterattack when he evades (since he has reach), and has the most (....second most?) HP in the game when he doesn't. You can also stuff either Crow's quartz, all the breakers, or both on him, and let him gently caress this blue bastard up. If he had any way of healing decent HP without weird "I'll give him Holy Breath and Canon" setups, I'd argue he's the best character to use against this boss. Him or Jusis, who'll boost both attack stats and speed, which you will need.

Thief, don't sweat too hard about Stabbey and I arguing like an old married couple. We both love this game from different angles, which is honestly refreshing as hell. (:glomp: Never think I'm frustrated with you, Stabbey.) Regardless of who you bring, you want to resist status, click if you want to know which one ---Freeze---, so deck out your best characters with something that blocks it and stuff the Wing Master Quartz on the next best character. Keep using what you've learned by keeping your characters boosted and somewhat separated (although, remember Elliot can't heal if you're too separated. ....if you even bring him. You don't need to). Add actually casting Shining on whoever is in front because it's honestly better than the other boosts and you'll be fine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Feel free to go into the fight completely blind, it might work out, and if not, it'll probably be funny.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I think we'll agree that it's one of the three hardest bosses in the game.

Thief, don't sweat too hard about Stabbey and I arguing like an old married couple. We both love this game from different angles, which is honestly refreshing as hell. (:glomp: Never think I'm frustrated with you, Stabbey.)

There are different angles to the fight. We both seem to be trying to mitigate incoming damage instead of trying to deal it. ( An approach based on dealing physical damage would probably use Laura and Machias to lower its armor.) You seem to be recommending inflicting status-effects to mitigate damage, and I'm recommending a buff-based approach. I prefer buffing, because status effects on bosses last one turn and are harder to land at all, which makes them unreliable.

Millium, Crow, and Rean are forced into the 6-person party, but the battle party size is four, so you can have two bench slots. In my Nightmare mode playthrough, I sat both Millium and Rean on the sidelines for the entire boss fight and never used them. Speed is extremely good of course, and Noble Command is perfect for this fight. I did not bring Elliot on my first, Hard-difficulty attempt and the fight went extremely poorly.

The party I chose on Nightmare was Alisa, Elliot, Jusis, Crow - all outfitted with high-level Space arts for offense, and was based entirely around winning by attrition, then taking advantage of critical turns to unleash +50% power 200 CP S-Crafts. I didn't bother separating characters, because you don't have time to do that and keep everyone standing. Shining is good for avoiding damage, but is otherwise not much good here, and casting it on everyone takes time.

If you want to resist a status and don't have enough accessories for everyone, Brandon's General Goods sells "cheap" ones for 900 Mira. You only need to worry about one status effect in this fight, but it's a very bad one and you don't want to leave people unprotected.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 17, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Feel free to go into the fight completely blind, it might work out, and if not, it'll probably be funny.

There are different angles to the fight. We both seem to be trying to mitigate incoming damage instead of trying to deal it. ( An approach based on dealing physical damage would probably use Laura and Machias to lower its armor.) You seem to be recommending inflicting status-effects to mitigate damage, and I'm recommending a buff-based approach. I prefer buffing, because status effects on bosses last one turn and are harder to land at all, which makes them unreliable.

Millium, Crow, and Rean are forced into the 6-person party, but the battle party size is four, so you can have two bench slots. In my Nightmare mode playthrough, I sat both Millium and Rean on the sidelines for the entire boss fight and never used them. Speed is extremely good of course, and Noble Command is perfect for this fight. I did not bring Elliot on my first, Hard-difficulty attempt and the fight went extremely poorly.

The party I chose on Nightmare was Alisa, Elliot, Jusis, Crow - all outfitted with high-level Space arts for offense, and was based entirely around winning by attrition, then taking advantage of critical turns to unleash +50% power 200 CP S-Crafts. I didn't bother separating characters, because you don't have time to do that and keep everyone standing. Shining is good for avoiding damage, but is otherwise not much good here, and casting it on everyone takes time.

If you want to resist a status and don't have enough accessories for everyone, Brandon's General Goods sells "cheap" ones for 900 Mira. You only need to worry about one status effect in this fight, but it's a very bad one and you don't want to leave people unprotected.

No, I agree. Buffing is the way to go. I'd drop shining on ONE person who can be separated, namely Gauis, but Laura, Fie, or Rean are good choices. Fie is usually my first choice as she's both my favorite character and also because she has Scud Ripper. Gauis is a close second, though. I've had tremendous success with this game on Nightmare boosting the hell out of his evade, casting shining on him, and letting him kill bosses. It's very.... Workmanlike. Extremely fitting for Gaius.

For casting it on multiple people, well, as I said, the best abilities aren't available at this point on a first playthrough. Sure would be nice if someone had a way of doing that. Or if anyone had a way of inflicting Nightmare.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Now that you've unlocked all the slots, you can spend sepith to craft new quartz. Cross Crusade is available this chapter.

The photos do actually have something on them: Ellliot's Photo, Rean's Photo, Sharon and Alisa's photo.

Veryslightlymad posted:

No, I agree. Buffing is the way to go. I'd drop shining on ONE person who can be separated, namely Gauis, but Laura, Fie, or Rean are good choices. Fie is usually my first choice as she's both my favorite character and also because she has Scud Ripper. Gauis is a close second, though. I've had tremendous success with this game on Nightmare boosting the hell out of his evade, casting shining on him, and letting him kill bosses. It's very.... Workmanlike. Extremely fitting for Gaius.

For casting it on multiple people, well, as I said, the best abilities aren't available at this point on a first playthrough. Sure would be nice if someone had a way of doing that. Or if anyone had a way of inflicting Nightmare.

In the strategy which was successful for me on Nightmare, I didn't separate anyone and completely ignored the enemy art attacks.

You're also recommending a physical attack party, but on higher difficulty, you would need Machias and Laura, and you don't have room for both of them and Fie and Gaius. Don't get me wrong, your strategy is probably great on most enemies and bosses...
but this boss seems like an exception.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 19, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Now that you've unlocked all the slots, you can spend sepith to craft new quartz. Cross Crusade is available this chapter.

The photos do actually have something on them: Ellliot's Photo, Rean's Photo, Sharon and Alisa's photo.

In the strategy which was successful for me on Nightmare, I didn't separate anyone and completely ignored the enemy art attacks.

You're also recommending a physical attack party, but on higher difficulty, you would need Machias and Laura, and you don't have room for both of them and Fie and Gaius. Don't get me wrong, your strategy is probably great on most enemies and bosses...
but this boss seems like an exception.

I'm not recommending both, I am using them interchangeably in this instance.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Hey! No new video yet, sorry; internet's been shaky for reasons you can probably guess and we've had some trouble getting a recording going. Against my better judgement, I've opened a Twitter account for updates on videos and delays and whatnot. Follow if you like!

Also I haven't read tactics chat yet, but I intend to go through it after we actually fight the boss.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

Hey! No new video yet, sorry; internet's been shaky for reasons you can probably guess and we've had some trouble getting a recording going. Against my better judgement, I've opened a Twitter account for updates on videos and delays and whatnot. Follow if you like!

Also I haven't read tactics chat yet, but I intend to go through it after we actually fight the boss.

That's fine, you're on normal and probably will prevail without needing the advice.

I did forget to mention that the bonus quest on the free day will grant you some link XP with the person you picked, so if there's someone who's a little behind, that could help give them a little boost.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

61. Scary Stories to Tell After Class

If you think these tales are terrifying, wait until you hear the one about the weird guy with the castanets.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nord horses are all toilet trained; it's locating a toilet that's the real issue

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- So I guess the motto is: "Never ever ever stop. Keep on doing what you're doing until you die." ... You were joking, but actually, you're not that far off. Except that they say it in only two words.
- Laura spent the last five months helping to train Monica from "complete non-swimmer" to "moderate swimmer". We just only saw bits and pieces of that.
- "Can you find the Wolf everytime out?" ... You mean like the famous children's book, "Where's Wolfo?"
- "Just imagine Gaius at the art club ending in eolves somehow." When Vivi's pranks go too far...
- I think the Machias bonding event is the best one for the Chapter 5 evening, yes.
- Your student notebook contains details on quests, including who you need to talk to, so you could have gotten the details of all seven mysteries first and just checked the notebook if you forgot who the next person was.
- Oh wow, I never caught that stealthy CSI:Miami meme until just now.
- In terms of Quartz, Cross Crusade is one of the new ones, it's the first art available which hits the entire screen. And this month's old School House boss is weak to its damage type.
- I believe getting good/great in the swimming minigame only matters against Sara, because she'll still beat you even with all Good's, you need at least 2-3 Greats and no misses at all.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ I wouldn't mind a game where you have private actions/bonding events/whatever you want to call them exclusively with characters outside your party, (or just... having hobbies) and you have to sort of figure out which party member becomes involved. Or, you know, you develop a relationship with the character who has similar interests. That could be cool too.

~ Beryl's got a reputation of an uncanny fortune teller, and the other members of this school are pretty solid fortune tellers wrt: accuracy

~ "A Hot Topic?! On Thor's Campus?!" --- Wait until you see: "The Unspeakable Costume"

~ Mixing wrestling T-shirts and Trails. ...Pfft. How lame would you have to b---........... oh. Spend twenty god drat minutes getting the custom text formatted correctly and then SA didn't line it up right anyhow....

~ If I were on my game more, I could have remembered the mysteries and talked up like the boss to this chapter was the Poltergeist.

~ Nightmare is a really good status ailment to inflict on things--- like faint/sleep, they'll take a critical hit when they get hit by anything, and like sleep, they'll drop the status. Unlike sleep, if the status either goes away on its own, or because someone slapped you awake, the target will be hit with a new, exciting status.

~ Hey, you know what works really well with Zeram Capsules... AoE. If only there were some object at a reasonable price, say, 8000 mira, that could do that for you.

~ Congratulations, you are now done with Swimming minigames in Trails of Cold Steel.*

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

62. Cold Front

Look, let's be real here: it's another Old Schoolhouse video. You know what it's like, you know how it goes, you don't really need a descr--ooh, this looks like a good spot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You cannot begin to guess at the extent of Elliot's music wiener energy

e: for Ys 1, if you talk to everybody in the starting town then Slaff will give you a free short sword.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 13, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just want to point out I'm 4 hours into a podcast recording about Shadow Hearts right now that WILL NOT END and I will never mock the Old Schoolhouse energy again, this is the most miserable mic'd JRPG event of my life.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

e: for Ys 1, if you talk to everybody in the starting town then Slaff will give you a free short sword.

True, but also it's bullshit.

- The game straight up lies about your strength without a weapon equipped. It says 10, it's more like 0.05.
- The game doesn't tell you that you've talked to everyone, you have to determine that you got all the people wandering every which way.
- If you talk to Slaff before talking to everyone, there's no indication he has anything more to say.

Basically there's no way to know this is a thing without either looking it up (what I did) or finding it by accident. Fortunately most of the rest of the game wasn't that obtuse. (also if you attack enemies in Ys I at any non-cardinal direction you'll get murdered immediately, rendering the analog stick useless, another problem I had to troubleshoot.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I like your orbment setups, very well done. You even avoided the possible problem of putting Fire and Water on the same person, which would have been bad for the boss.
- Did you not equip accessories on everyone or just Millium? That could be a problem...
- There was a little bit of dialogue you could get by visiting floor 4 first, I forgot to mention that, oh well.
- It's easy enough to miss fishing spots so that I don't mind that they announce you found one every time, even if you fished it out (In case someone wants to use Groundbait.)

- Reaching the Depths of the Old Schoolhouse at 50 minutes, sees another 50 minutes to go in the video. And didn't even save before. Oh boy... :allears:
- I tried brute forcing that fight on Hard without going back to town to get Freeze Prevention accessories. It didn't go very well. I'm glad you didn't repeat my mistake. (It's still tough on Nightmare even going in with full freeze protection.)
- - Failed attempts on Hard
- - Eventual Success on Hard
- - A winning strategy on Nightmare
- Unfortunately the teleporter at the end doesn't work until after the boss is dead. Luckily the walls stay down, though.
- Magic doesn't do a whole lot, but physical is if anything, even worse, especially on higher difficulties. I think the last LP on Normal used physical.
- What the Shining Pom bait does is one full level of XP for everyone in the party, no matter how much they need to reach their next level. I prefer to save using the Shining Poms until in the final dungeon, right before the final boss.
- Angel MQ has has Arts Up since Chapter 1, with the Fortuna spell. Fortuna is one of the key reasons why getting the Angel MQ to level 5 is extremely good in the late game. You MIGHT be able to get it to level 5 before the final chapter. (Ideally before the final dungeon of Chapter six, which would be extremely helpful for those boss battles.
- Throwing S-Crafts at the boss only works if you can kill it. If you can't, you're kinda boned.
- In the endgame, "Alisa keeps casting her top-tier space arts while other people stuff her full of EP Charge III" is a winning strategy with the right orbment build.
- This boss is nasty in that it seems to get much, much faster the closer it is to death.
- A reasonable use of Zeram Powder. Few fights are challenging, and this is definitely one of the toughest.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 13, 2020

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Fun fact: the Septian Church actually IS headed by a pope. I believe it was mentioned in the 3rd.

The ice dragon boss has the dubious honor of having the highest speed stat of all enemies in the game, even more than the final boss, IIRC. Which is one of the reasons he's so extremely nasty. The other's the fact he can take a hit or two. You REALLY want those double buffs up (both Ats and Str) in fights like these. Ats can be boosted by Jusis' Noble Command, the Fortuna art (comes with Alisa's MQ and is also a fairly basic space art) and the Crescent Mirror art. (though it's very expensive and probably not worth it for the buff alone) Str can be boosted by Rean's and Jusis' boosting crafts or with the La Forte art.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ When I was talking about noticing something during the golem fight that I'd tell you in "about 30 videos" it was this: Crow actually had his master quartz on during that fight. That was why the boss seemingly randomly had his stats reduced---Cypher does random stat down.

~ Cypher is also the quartz I was talking about when I mentioned it being great if Fie or Gaius had a quartz that reduced enemy stats. (Giving them a smorgasbord of breakers works fine.)

~ YEEEEESSS. You gave Gaius all the double-status quartz.

~ It is nifty that the old schoolhouse is so spooky it curses through dimensions into your recordings.

~ CS3 has NISA translating directly instead of taking small liberties, like XSeed was unafraid to do. This leads to some really, really stupid reads when we already know there are better voice lines available. Instead of "Evil will fall before my blade" which is wordy as is, but pretty good, you get some asinine long bullshit like "I swear by my sword that I will vanquish (etc, etc)" and she just doesn't shut up.

~ :allears: I've been waiting for Unsurtr. GOOD NEWS, this is probably the hardest boss in the game. Definitely top three. Bad news? You haven't fought the other two.

~ Thelas would have healed Rean. You don't have to be dead for it to work.

~ I also agree, this was the time to use a Zeram powder. I'd have actually burned a capsule there just to be sure if I were in that spot. So hey, if anything, you were more efficient than I'd have been. Good work taking out the game's scariest boss on only two tries.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ CS3 has NISA translating directly instead of taking small liberties, like XSeed was unafraid to do. This leads to some really, really stupid reads when we already know there are better voice lines available. Instead of "Evil will fall before my blade" which is wordy as is, but pretty good, you get some asinine long bullshit like "I swear by my sword that I will vanquish (etc, etc)" and she just doesn't shut up.

Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between the two translation, at least not anything significant. But there is absolutely no universe where Laura S. Arseid uses the word "yeah"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between the two translation, at least not anything significant. But there is absolutely no universe where Laura S. Arseid uses the word "yeah"

I don't recall this turning up. Is it a voiced line? If not, just assume she pronounces it "yay".

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
She says it several times in III and I'm pretty sure at least one of them is voiced

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

63. The Mist in Trista

The things being said about Class VII on the radio start to worry Rean.

alternate thumbnail

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 27, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ssh: you forgot the pawnshop, now you can never get the super ultimate weapon

I still have no clue what the hell Vita's talking about when she says "It's 'YOU' :biglips:"

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 27, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Of all the "Sharon is really skilled" things the game does, "Sharon knows it's going to rain later" is not very impressive. They've got radios, there could be weather forecasting, and even disregarding that, anyone can learn to recognize weather patterns.
- That little aside at the end of the Old Schoolhouse 5 investigation is a subtle hint that Millium might not be quite as bad at keeping secrets as she appears to be. She knew about the Old Schoolhouse from someone before coming to Thors, and yet earlier seemed like she had never heard of it.
- "Are we gonna unearth an optional superboss?" :allears:
- RE: The Septian Church being just "a little bit dodgy". Did either of you finish Trails in the Sky SC, or play Trails in the Sky the Third at all? Just asking.
- Klein didn't randomly ditch tutoring duty, he had to hurry home to see his mother, who had some kind of medical scare (she was fine).
- The trick with this hidden sidequest is that even if you're talking to every character, you'll almost certainly hit the house last and have to double back to find this one. It's also notable for autocompleting with no effort.
- "That shoulder's artificial anyway." Now I'm thinking of Lloyd Bridges character from Hot Shots. "Lost it to a Viet Cong attack on the outskirts of Bo Makai."
- Yeah, that quest did go on for quite a while, which is odd because Rosine is not a romanceable character in any of the games as far as I know.
- There's only one time you can go into the train station without it being leaving on a field study, and that's still much later.
- "If you try to listen at any other time of the day, all you get is 'listen to misty... listen to misty... listen to misty..." - :allears:
- The days of "*exasperated* Oh God, Emma..." are certainly coming to a middle.
- "Right now I have no idea what [the ILF is] doing." It'll probably be clear what they're doing by the end of CS 1.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

- That little aside at the end of the Old Schoolhouse 5 investigation is a subtle hint that Millium might not be quite as bad at keeping secrets as she appears to be. She knew about the Old Schoolhouse from someone before coming to Thors, and yet earlier seemed like she had never heard of it.

I'll elaborate more on this later, but for now I'll say that this is a consistent thing. Millium is loose-lipped about what her job is, but she's very good about keeping actual useful details under wraps.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Millium knows exactly how she acts and absolutely uses it to her advantage. Her racing around campus was absolutely an attempt to find the Old Schoolhouse

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

- RE: The Septian Church being just "a little bit dodgy". Did either of you finish Trails in the Sky SC, or play Trails in the Sky the Third at all? Just asking.

I mean, by JRPG religious order standards they're practically spotless. Compare to say FFX where all the high priests are zombies and the holy quest ends in the heroes dying and/or transforming into a giant monster for an endless cycle of recurring, global mass genocide.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

64. Whatever.
- F5. Ch.5 Bonding Event Wrap-Up

Sometimes that Millium acts just like any other girl her age.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ I have no idea why Alisa's AI didn't have her cast spells there. She definitely can.

~ "Funky Butt-lovin'!" is actually from Rookie of the Year, not the Sandlot. Somehow, softball/baseball movies are generally always at least OK. I would argue it's the safest film subject matter.

~ Ok, you might not realize how many of your comments, like, your offhand comments that aren't even actually about the plot and are just jokes are just prescient. This adds a lot to my enjoying your videos.

~ Lechter's also present in the other games they never brought to the US. Yet more "Boy, sure wish I had played that one" stuff.

~ Actually, when you think about it "Shonen Enemies" are like, the textbook definition of "friendships eventually just happen."

~ A cotillion is a formal ball.

~ By and large, the bonding events in CS2 are better than CS1. Not Elliot's though.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Ok, you might not realize how many of your comments, like, your offhand comments that aren't even actually about the plot and are just jokes are just prescient. This adds a lot to my enjoying your videos.

I'm choosing to believe this means Punished Patrick is real and if so I'm very excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cul-de-Sac, Wallace the Brave, Crabgrass, and Phoebe And Her Unicorn are good comics with good kids :colbert:

also Arlo and Janis but that one's mostly about getting away with innuendo in the newspaper

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 8, 2020