Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Platystemon posted:

It’s like a line made in Adobe Illustrator.

There’s a fixed point where y equals zero on the fifth of May and the curve takes whatever shape it needs to to reach that.

The line shape actually seems to stay same. It just moved forward 1-2 days, because the numbers didn't start falling down like was predicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This graphic is trying so hard.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jir/2019/6491738/

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Am I missing something? This looks like every other signalling pathway in my Molecular Biology textbooks.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah that's pretty par for the course, they get way worse when you h ave more complete ones like http://www.metabolic-pathway.com/fullMap.html or some of these https://www.cellsignal.com/contents/science/cst-pathways/science-pathways

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sure in molecular biology textbooks, science diagrams that look like shitposts are in every corner drug store, but in 167, they’re a little hard to come by!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah that's pretty par for the course, they get way worse when you h ave more complete ones like http://www.metabolic-pathway.com/fullMap.html or some of these https://www.cellsignal.com/contents/science/cst-pathways/science-pathways

as a non biologist the first link here looks way better to me than the MERS chart despite being way bigger and more complicated. the MERS chart has text partially overlapping similarly-colored graphics, a weird mishmash of graphical shading that seems to serve no purpose, lines and text that are poorly-aligned, stuff scrunched together for no apparent reason, etc. the design is :effort: incarnate

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

as a non biologist the first link here looks way better to me than the MERS chart despite being way bigger and more complicated. the MERS chart has text partially overlapping similarly-colored graphics, a weird mishmash of graphical shading that seems to serve no purpose, lines and text that are poorly-aligned, stuff scrunched together for no apparent reason, etc. the design is :effort: incarnate

Fair point, it's a bit :effort: indeed. I think part of it is also that a lot of the representations used are pretty standard shorthand for biology figures but looking at them again I can see how they are incomprehensible for someone not used to them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

From the USPOL thread

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

that appears to be a real chart, minus the nuke bit

e: wait, hang on. the person who made the edit dutifully subtracted 10% from the yellow chunk on the right in order to add the green slice. lol wut :psyduck:

Memento posted:

Low hanging fruit, I know, but still

Lutha Mahtin has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Apr 14, 2020

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Former NZ Finance Minister posted:

This second graph shows the close correlation between the number of Covid 19 cases in New Zealand and the number of tests. It raises a question about the nature of NZ's observed "curve" and its assumed exponential nature.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Wait a minute, so if we reduce testing then we can reduce the number of new confirmed cases? We should start this immediately.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my local department of health said they think we have 100 times more cases than they've been able to confirm :stare:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my local department of health said they think we have 100 times more cases than they've been able to confirm :stare:

It's that really so much of an outlier opinion? I've personally been assuming that the large majority of the entire population is infected but asymptomatic, it's not like people give a crap about actual mitigation or quarantine with what I see when I go to work

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i dunno, i just found it to be a spooky number

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i dunno, i just found it to be a spooky number

What if it was 69 more cases?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

It's that really so much of an outlier opinion? I've personally been assuming that the large majority of the entire population is infected but asymptomatic, it's not like people give a crap about actual mitigation or quarantine with what I see when I go to work

I expected this, but in my region (out of the way, to be fair) shows consistently small numbers. Fewer than 5% of tests done have been positive for Covid, and this hasn't changed as testing has passed 1000 per day.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

Way more are infected than confirmed of course, but a large majority is already infected? Yeah, that's an outlier. That would basically mean we can stop the quarantine immediately because it'd be pointless to continue.

jjack229 posted:

Wait a minute, so if we reduce testing then we can reduce the number of new confirmed cases? We should start this immediately.
Way ahead of you!

vyelkin posted:

Top: The "testing is going up and looking great!" graph showing cumulative tests performed.

Bottom: The "testing is basically unchanged" graph showing daily tests performed (that they don't show at the press conference).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This paper estimates the actual number of infected in the US as of March 18th to be about 50 times greater than the official numbers. That's very high but it still puts the prevalence at way less than 1%.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Topknot

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Millenials reading papers at more than 2x the rate of boomers REALLY doesn't pass the sniff test, for the UK at least.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Good thing that’s not what the authors say. The % are percent increase over consumption before the outbreak. Without the pre-outbreak consumption rates, those percent increases are close to meaningless, tho.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Very close

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Why do I have to be a "millenial", why can't I just be in Gen Y? You know, the one that came between X and Z?

Edit: Eh, "boomers" are only 57-64 years old? Couldn't they find any older boomers than that? (Wikipedia says the baby boom is commonly defined as the period between 1946 and 1964.)

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Apr 16, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm putting this in a spoiler because it makes me actually queasy to look at this for more than a few seconds at a time. my eyes

(from this article about coronavirus on cruise ships)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I need glasses after looking at this chart for five seconds.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm an oldlennial and I wish I had enough hair for a man bun

best I could do now is a skullet

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

Millenials reading papers at more than 2x the rate of boomers REALLY doesn't pass the sniff test, for the UK at least.
That's how many said they increased their consumption of Thing. Boomers were, presumably, already reading the paper very day and thus can't increase how much they read the paper.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I can't believe that Boomers actually had the capacity to increase their viewing of broadcast television that significantly. Most Boomers I know come home, they turn the TV on, and it stays on. Like hours and hours of CNN or MSNBC or Fox depending on their preference. And this is pre-plague!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I can't believe that Boomers actually had the capacity to increase their viewing of broadcast television that significantly. Most Boomers I know come home, they turn the TV on, and it stays on. Like hours and hours of CNN or MSNBC or Fox depending on their preference. And this is pre-plague!

That's just it, now they aren't coming home from anywhere, so it's on all the time.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Maybe they're working from home now, so they watch TV then, too.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Angepain posted:

I'm putting this in a spoiler because it makes me actually queasy to look at this for more than a few seconds at a time. my eyes

(from this article about coronavirus on cruise ships)
I feel like this should inflict something like the McCollough effect.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the part that surprises me is that younger generations have increased broadcast watching. watching for the news makes sense but i think i have known a single millennial over the past 10 years who said they watch broadcast news regularly, and that was because it helped her get to sleep

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Figured I'd follow up on this one:

California

North Carolina

Florida

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
if you're interested, somebody has put up a website where you can see how the ihme model has changed over time
http://www.covid-projections.com/

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tree Goat posted:

if you're interested, somebody has put up a website where you can see how the ihme model has changed over time
http://www.covid-projections.com/

That's awesome, but that color legend is garbage.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Phy posted:

I'm an oldlennial and I wish I had enough hair for a man bun

best I could do now is a skullet

get into wigs, its the 20s

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

(Explanation)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,