Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Oh yeah, splurge for the pass through jacks/crimper. Makes life so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Browsing amazon it looks like the ones where the conductors pass through the end so you cut them after you crimp are popular, but I haven't used them myself.

This is the only way to fly if you insist on hand terminated cables.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rexxed posted:

I've got like three cheap crimpers, even the basic rear end one I bought in 1996 still works fine. Of them all, I think the ratcheting one is my favorite:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZK4G/

I'm sure there's better ones available but it doesn't really take much. Connectors can be a bitch, make sure you get cat6 ones if you're going to use them on it, since the conductors are thicker than cat5. I've used these before:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-100-Pack-Modular-Stranded/dp/B004D5RFCE/

Browsing amazon it looks like the ones where the conductors pass through the end so you cut them after you crimp are popular, but I haven't used them myself.

If you don’t go for the pass thru type, for your sanity go at least for a two part unit like this

https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/store/product/detail/CAT6-Modular-Plug-Unshielded-RJ45-50-Pack/FMTP6-R2-50PAK

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Buff Hardback posted:

Oh yeah, splurge for the pass through jacks/crimper. Makes life so much easier.

Agreed.

We install our IP Cameras in house, so myself and others in the group and crimped literally hundreds of RJ45s. The pass-through variety makes things soooooooo much easier. They are also a lot easier to train someone else how to do.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Make sure you get a decent crimper either way, but especially if you're using passthrough jacks. lovely passthrough crimpers don't cut off the wires cleanly on the ends which makes things annoying.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any recommendations of ones that work with 6a? I inherited a whole roll of 6a

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like using quality tools wherever possible, so I had a really nice Paladin (think they are Greenlee now) ratchet crimp frame at a previous job, with different crimp dies for different types of plug. It's an expensive way to do things but the difference in quality compared to the cheap eBay unbranded crimp tools or the generic ones from electrical wholesalers is really easy to notice.

If I had to just buy one crimp tool now I'd probably get the Ideal feed through crimp tool and use their plugs with it, though I try to avoid crimping plugs on wherever possible in favour of terminating onto sockets and using patch leads.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Buy patch cables.

For long runs through walls, crimp the CAT6 into wall jacks.

Crimping RJ45's onto patch cables is for masochists.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I setup a new hosted zone in Route53 and I wanted to test it out before actually updating the nameservers of the domain. Can I just update the DNS of my machine to use the IP address of ns-448.awsdns-56.com (one of the NS for the new hosted zone) to do that?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Steakandchips posted:

Buy patch cables.

For long runs through walls, crimp the CAT6 into wall jacks.

Crimping RJ45's onto patch cables is for masochists.

???

A $25 tool off amazon and the process takes like 60 seconds per end.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
I've got a buddy who just got ATT fiber with the Arris BGW210 gateway. He wants to setup a Google WiFi mesh behind it and found the following link which he thinks explains the options with this gateway:
https://forums.att.com/conversation...27251541#M29310

Anyone else using this gateway to passthrough to their own router? I was thinking he should put it in Paasthrough, select passthrough manual mode assigning his Google router's MAC - as far as I understand, that kills DHCP on the gateway and would allow his Google router to handle all the DHCP and NAT without doubling up. Thoughts? (Trying to help him via text due to corona-cation is annoying)

Edit: reading through some of the comments on that linked page seems like there is significantly more to it. F'ing ATT...halp!

thiazi fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 17, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fletcher posted:

I setup a new hosted zone in Route53 and I wanted to test it out before actually updating the nameservers of the domain. Can I just update the DNS of my machine to use the IP address of ns-448.awsdns-56.com (one of the NS for the new hosted zone) to do that?

Yes but only for things which those resolvers are authoritative. You can also just specify the resolver on the command line. In Linux/Mac it's as simple as 'host myawfuldomI.tld ns-123.buttdns.com'. Modern ones have basically resolve.conf.d/ where you can specify different resolvers for different things which makes like cnames easier to test.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

M_Gargantua posted:

???

A $25 tool off amazon and the process takes like 60 seconds per end.

Crimping isn't a complicated process but I agree with Steakandchips that there isn't really ever a good reason to have to do it yourself at this point.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Apologies in advance for being a noob.

I would like to have Internet in my garage, which is detached from the house by about 80 feet. The OP mentions the Ubiquiti Nanostation, but that seems way too advanced for my needs. Also, you can apparently only buy it at specialized retailers and not online? Would a run-of-the-mill Wifi extender work?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Patch cables have come down in price but nothing beats just buying a 1000' spool and being set for a few years.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

thiazi posted:

I've got a buddy who just got ATT fiber with the Arris BGW210 gateway. He wants to setup a Google WiFi mesh behind it and found the following link which he thinks explains the options with this gateway:

Anyone else using this gateway to passthrough to their own router? I was thinking he should put it in Paasthrough, select passthrough manual mode assigning his Google router's MAC - as far as I understand, that kills DHCP on the gateway and would allow his Google router to handle all the DHCP and NAT without doubling up. Thoughts? (Trying to help him via text due to corona-cation is annoying)

Edit: reading through some of the comments on that linked page seems like there is significantly more to it. F'ing ATT...halp!

I have mine in passthrough and it works just fine. I think I set it to do passthrough to whatever device it sees first.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

thiazi posted:

Take a look at this:

https://github.com/aus/pfatt

This will allow you to bypass the gateway for everything but authentication.

If you want to get fancier, you can extract the certificates from the modem using instructions found in here:

https://github.com/aus/pfatt/pull/19

And then use the instructions here:

https://github.com/aus/pfatt/tree/supplicant

To remove the gateway completely. I think this could have a big effect on speed though if you have underpowered hardware.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'm living in an old (1950s or 60s maybe) 2-storey house and it seems like my Archer C5 isn't doing too well with everyone at home and using work VPNs. Ideally I'd move the router into the center of the first floor of the house but the telco wired the fibre drop into one of the rooms at the side of the house and it wouldn't be feasible. I think the walls inside are wood so the signal probably isn't getting degraded too much but the older devices that can only connect to 2.4GHz get really bad signal if they're at the other end of the house or downstairs.

We also have 3 security cameras and 4 Google Home minis, 2 smartphones that all use the 2.4GHz network and, unfortunately, my desktop too but the signal strength is dependent on what frequency our neighbour's are using and if nobody is using the microwave when we're on channel 11. My smartphone, a tablet, 3 laptops, an Nvidia Shield TV, and an Amazon Fire TV all run on the 5GHz network.

I have 300Mbps fibre and I'm hoping to upgrade a gigabit connection when the prices drop a bit more. Any recommendations on how to improve WiFi coverage without re-wiring the house and moving the router? I'm looking at maybe building a mesh network with something like a a Deco M5 or M9 but they'd have to use a wireless backchannel most likely. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

e: I'm also in Canada :canada: so Amazon.ca is probably where I'd buy any equipment.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Have you tried powerline networking before? If not, buy a pair somewhere that has a good return policy. If it works well, wire up some devices (including an AP) in another room.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

astral posted:

Have you tried powerline networking before? If not, buy a pair somewhere that has a good return policy. If it works well, wire up some devices (including an AP) in another room.

Any recommended brands? I think this house has some sketchy wiring so I'm not too hopeful but worth a shot!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

M_Gargantua posted:

Patch cables have come down in price but nothing beats just buying a 1000' spool and being set for a few years.

How many patch cables are you making, though?

Either you're at home in which case you only need a handful or you're at work in which case there are way better uses of your time than wiring up desks and/or a server rack by hand.

EDIT: I mean listen if you enjoy making cables, more power to you (I do know that feeling) but in any case I can think of, I would so much rather just pay a few bucks to get one that a machine made.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 17, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Acer Pilot posted:

Any recommended brands? I think this house has some sketchy wiring so I'm not too hopeful but worth a shot!

TP-Link seems to be the most popular these days. You'll likely want one of the newer ones with MIMO (AV1200 or AV2000).

astral fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 17, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Except for never dealing with that once a year ordering from monoprice. gently caress crimping cables.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I still like putting compression connectors onto coax, but that's because it's almost impossible to buy non poo poo-tier premade leads for antennas.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just put an offer on a house, gonna run a few drops to places where we need ethernet. What is the right Cat6/cat6a box to get if I need POE? Do I need solid or stranded for pulling cables? 23 AWG I am assuming?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Solid is for pulling, stranded is for patch cables

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Good to know. So just a bunch of feet of the 23awg solid core cat 6 in a fun color that will let me know it’s not electrical or alarm will be fine?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Good to know. So just a bunch of feet of the 23awg solid core cat 6 in a fun color that will let me know it’s not electrical or alarm will be fine?

Yeah, pretty much. One thing you'll find is that a lot of places with cheap cable are selling copper clad aluminum (often just marked CCA or CCE) which may not perform up to the normal specs for ethernet which is meant to be pure copper. It means you're going to pay a bit more for a box but it's a good idea to make sure it's actual copper.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

Get plenum rated wire if you run your wires in walls

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

SlowBloke posted:

Get plenum rated wire if you run your wires in walls

Plenum rated is for cables that run in ducts and ventilation spaces.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get CAT6A or CAT8, the price difference from CAT6 should be negligible and do maybe 4 drops per room.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That’s what I thought. Why Cat8 though? Seems significantly overkill when 6a does 10Gbe and probably more (like you can squeeze multi gigabit out of a cat5e) over shorter runs.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
I need a new cable modem. Any recommendations for a good DOCSIS 3.1? I’m on Comcast for what it’s worth.

pctD fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 19, 2020

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Arris SB8200 or bust.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

coke posted:

Arris SB8200 or bust.

Doesn’t that have a Puma chipset?

coke
Jul 12, 2009
The rubbish with intel pooma chipset is the 6190.

SB8200 is an over engineered piece of hardware with extra interference mitigation, better cooling, more ram and a better broadcom chipset.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So I got a Google WiFi setup but my dad is moving into the inlaw unit in the backyard and all it has is an Ethernet cable running back to it. What do I buy and what do I read up on how to get another access point in there? The unit is probably like 100 ft from the nearest wifi node so there a very bad signal to the unit. Could I get a cheap router to connect and configure to get a point out there?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

E2M2 posted:

So I got a Google WiFi setup but my dad is moving into the inlaw unit in the backyard and all it has is an Ethernet cable running back to it. What do I buy and what do I read up on how to get another access point in there? The unit is probably like 100 ft from the nearest wifi node so there a very bad signal to the unit. Could I get a cheap router to connect and configure to get a point out there?

If you got the Google WiFi pucks, they can do backhaul over Ethernet I'm pretty sure. So you'd just need to pick up another puck and wire it up.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

E2M2 posted:

If there's ethernet there, can't you just add another google wifi pod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

withoutclass posted:

If you got the Google WiFi pucks, they can do backhaul over Ethernet I'm pretty sure. So you'd just need to pick up another puck and wire it up.

I think this is the document you want.
https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/7215624?hl=en&ref_topic=9832540