Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

https://wikimon.net/Digital_Monster_Ver._5

Digimon and Godzilla are pretty closely tied

Oh, Gigan and Destroyah. That makes sense. I was wrong about Tuskmon; he's Spacegodzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I did not know this. I am not surprised either since referencing Godzilla is just something you have to do as a Japanese franchise but I can say I have new love for those Digimon now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's really interesting how they reinterpreted those sprites and designed all new characters around them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Raremon was already basically Hedorah.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Funky Valentine posted:

Raremon was already basically Hedorah.

I think the sprites came first actually(as can be seen with how the very first manga for the franchise C'mon Digimon has designs extremely different from the more standard ones later established)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

I think the sprites came first actually(as can be seen with how the very first manga for the franchise C'mon Digimon has designs extremely different from the more standard ones later established)

Yeah, the really original Digimon releases were V-Pet first, full fleshed out color design second. Note that none of the V5 digimon really resemble their Godzilla counterparts after they got a design that wasn't a tiny little LCD sprite.

That changed pretty quickly and V-Pet LCDs became secondary to full designs very early in Digimon history, but I do appreciate they still make bit sprites if only to BIT be a status effect in the video games.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, the really original Digimon releases were V-Pet first, full fleshed out color design second. Note that none of the V5 digimon really resemble their Godzilla counterparts after they got a design that wasn't a tiny little LCD sprite.

That changed pretty quickly and V-Pet LCDs became secondary to full designs very early in Digimon history, but I do appreciate they still make bit sprites if only to BIT be a status effect in the video games.

Yeah it's kinda funny how these days I much prefer the early sprite style that the Digital Monster and Pendulum series use rather than the more detailed style that they started using with the Digivice and Pendulum Progress series V-Pets that's more accurate to the anime and TCG art, and I'm glad they returned to it with more recent one's

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This new series sure escalated fast

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cross-posting from the One Piece thread,

Usopp is into Digimon, this is canon now (image by Usopp's VA, Kappei Yamaguchi, text just says to watch the 3rd episode of Adventure: and then One Piece)
https://twitter.com/digimon_tv/status/1251350211957362689

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ello then, what are you?

My first thought was Shademon, but it lacks its spiral eyes. Plus you can clearly make out arms and a pair of antennae.

some kind of moth Digimon perhaps?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Not as strong as the first two, but still a pretty good ending to the 'movie', the atmosphere carried that last battle. Detailed characters, strong colors, but ultimately not as movie-quality as the other fights. Second half was a good way to set up the rest of the series. Digital World looks gorgeous.

I'm guessing we'll be seeing the younger kids near the end of the cour. If this cour ever gets the chance to end.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This definitely works better as a movie than as three separate episodes. Hell, they could have released this in theaters as the pilot movie for Adventure 20 instead of Last Evolution and saved us all a headache.

Firstly shoutouts to the movie for both doing the obvious thing and not doing the obvious thing. Omegamon had a lot of Our War Game shots and a similar ending, but the fight and resolution were noticeably and probably intentionally different. Similarly they DIDN'T go to the digital world via summer camp, even though Sora was introduced there and Jyou was on hand being Jyou. Like I said before, a thing I liked so far is that the showrunners seem to have a very clear grasp of what they're doing and where they're going. After the opening movie I'm definitely on board.

I think this is probably the best fight Omegamon has had an animated media, and they really made Omegamon look miraculous. They also made Omegamon seem really out there as well, it looked like the kids had to a greater extent merged into Omegamon in a late period Tamers/Next kind of way even if they were physically somewhat separate. Neither Taichi or Yamato spoke for the entire fight, there was a clear moment where Omegamon was seeing through Taichi's eyes, and at the end Taichi's solution to the crisis was to do something that was not at all apparent to Koushiro or the viewer and probably could only have been thought up by Omegamon.

The thing at the end seems to have been born from a giant cluster of evil eye monster data, hence why initially we got a bunch of Algomon. If the weird eye thing at the end evolves to/turns out to be Deathmon I'm going to explode. Goofy-rear end Deathmon is my favorite ever Digimon, and if it's the villain of an arc I'm going to call this reboot worth it even if it totally destroys itself along the way.

Good start! Here's hoping they can keep it coming.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If nothing else, that last shot of Of the digital world complete with 'wild' digimon just goofing off was just amazing.

Edit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PMlTJ9__t0g

Longer Ep 4 PV shows Sora with both her sun visor and bucket hat and, more importantly, Tentomon.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 19, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, I'm actually pretty happy with that fight. It wasn't very show-offy but it did get across one clear thing.

Algomon stood no chance. The entire thrust of the fight wasn't, can Omnimon win, but instead it seemed to be more from his perspective. Could he overcome Omnimon.

Which is smart. It gave me a mild One Punch Man vibe, where the focus of fights, that actually go past the titular one punch, is given to the villain of the piece.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That being said, Algomon didn't just crumple up ether. My memory is fuzzy but I mind the Diaboromon fight being a Squash the moment Omegamon appeared.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ConanThe3rd posted:

That being said, Algomon didn't just crumple up ether. My memory is fuzzy but I mind the Diaboromon fight being a Squash the moment Omegamon appeared.

Oh absolutely. Dude slaughtered millions of Diaboromon and they couldn't do a thing to touch him.

But Diaboromon wasn't really that powerful of a Mega, from what we saw. He got an edge over War Greymon and Metal Garurumon due to lag. They were doing a good job of kicking his poo poo in prior to that.

So Algomon absolutely put in a good showing. It makes me excited for future high level fights.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

ConanThe3rd posted:

If nothing else, that last shot of Of the digital world complete with 'wild' digimon just goofing off was just amazing.

I got Jurassic Park vibes. Nah nah naa nah nahhhhh

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I went into this expecting it to just be a remake of Adventure, but I think I'm a lot happier with what we're getting.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Burkion posted:

Oh absolutely. Dude slaughtered millions of Diaboromon and they couldn't do a thing to touch him.

But Diaboromon wasn't really that powerful of a Mega, from what we saw. He got an edge over War Greymon and Metal Garurumon due to lag. They were doing a good job of kicking his poo poo in prior to that.

So Algomon absolutely put in a good showing. It makes me excited for future high level fights.

What I'm looking foreward to is Tai and Matt trying to pull that stunt off without TK and Kari and it blowing up in their faces.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Roth posted:

I went into this expecting it to just be a remake of Adventure, but I think I'm a lot happier with what we're getting.

Yeah. Like I said, so far this is basically a brand new show that just happens to star the Adventure characters. While I would have preferred something completely unique this is a good enough compromise in my opinion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I liked how they tricked us with there they are at summer camp... and now they are back home from summer camp. I suppose the fact that TK isn't coming to camp in this iteration means nothing can really happen there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Guys...

Is Digimon ....good????

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Digimon's always been good. Parts of it like some the cartoons based on it? Up for debate.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

PMush Perfect posted:

Guys...

Is Digimon ....good????

It’s been so long since there was any sort of Digimon anime worth feeling positive about that it does feel a little alien right now.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Nodosaur posted:

That’s fair. But I always assumed the knight theme was because Touma’s status as half Austrian and being a nobleman. Also the jet pack on MachGaogamon was to continue the line’s emphasis on speed.

Ah, in the context of his partner it makes more sense. Savers was when I really started phasing out on Digimon so a lot of it escaped me. I do wish they’d tied the jets more into the gauntlets though.

ALSO, the anime is still good! I hope they didn’t front load all their effort just to rope in a bunch of suckers. I also hope we get another miniarc focusing on the other three older children. It kind of looked like only six lights made the jump to the digiworld, so they could be saving Patamon and TK to introduce with Gatomon and Kari. Or Palmon? If it’s Gatomon I wonder what her backstory will be to explain being champion level.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Every anime frontloads and then eases off for a bit and then goes hard again. It's t he nature of the business since going 100% at all times will kill people.

For instance Adventure has an episode coming up that's all animated by a single person. That's a traditional "give everyone a break" episode that appears in pretty much every series.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

news from V-Jump:

First of all, ReArise is introducing a new Ultimate/Mega form for Elecmon in the form of HeavyLeomon. Also, V-Tamer returns next month with its original team for a special one shot.

The Adventure page covers the next few episodes of the anime, and the premium Digivice. Seems Coredramon Blue and Soundbirdmon are appearing in the anime.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I love the Roger Dean looking Digiworld and I hope they can keep it looking that pretty throughout the series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

It’s been so long since there was any sort of Digimon anime worth feeling positive about that it does feel a little alien right now.

Appmon?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Appmon is good, yes (and probably had one of the best female protagonists in recent years).

Back to Adventure, did Agumon get a new VA or is his current one just getting old? He sounded a bit off to me at the end of the most recent episode.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Appmon is good, yes (and probably had one of the best female protagonists in recent years).

Back to Adventure, did Agumon get a new VA or is his current one just getting old? He sounded a bit off to me at the end of the most recent episode.

It's the same Japanese Seiyuu, Chika Sakamoto, as in the original Adventure/02, but that was over 20 years ago. So yeah, she's probably gonna sound different.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like it honestly because it sounds like Agumon is being treated with more maturity and respect than, say, Tri

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That mostly comes down to his lines, which mercifully don't mention food all the gdamned time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It’s not just Agumon and Matt. Everyone seems a little more mature. It’s nice.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Burkion posted:

I like it honestly because it sounds like Agumon is being treated with more maturity and respect than, say, Tri

Was Tri any good? I liked the first gen kids in 02.

Also, gently caress. I didn't know Kouji Wada died four years ago. ;_;

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/toeianimation/status/1252039906483793920?s=21

dang

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems like most of Toei’s animated stuff is going on hiatus for a while, they just announced one for Precure as well and I’m pretty sure One Piece announced something along those lines earlier.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Welp, gently caress it. Replacement Appmon watchathon then? (2 episodes a week, watch as close to go time as possible).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 20, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ConanThe3rd posted:

Welp, gently caress it. Replacement Appmon watchathon then? (2 episodes a week, watch as close to go time as possible).

I'd be down. I've got a ton of free time now until June at the earliest, which is why I've been getting back into anime so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 20, 2020