Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

The Jersey Triad was a big step down from the Benoit, Saturn, Malenko, Raven, Kidman and Rey pairings. DDP's heel promos were also horrible.

Decent was somewhat relative and someone me desperately wishing they were faces instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Halloween Havoc 98 at least has a good main (that a lot of people didn't see because of the PPV screwup.)

Starrcade 98 felt like the turning point for me. Not only do they have the horrible finish with Goldberg losing well before he should've, the whole show was just bad- it feels like that was the point where Bischoff no longer knew how to put on a good wrestling show.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Goldberg had to lose at some point, and I don't think Starrcade was necessarily too early, but that was a pretty awful way for it to happen. Nash was a weak choice to even put in the main at Starrcade, let alone winning the title or literally laying down for Hogan a week later. Having Goldberg lose the title without killing his momentum was a challenge, but WCW had just about the worst plan possible for it.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Maxwell Lord posted:

Halloween Havoc 98 at least has a good main (that a lot of people didn't see because of the PPV screwup.)
IIRC they replayed the main event the following night on Nitro and at the time it popped the highest quarter hour ever in the Monday Night Wars (long before The Rock's "This Is Your Life" happened)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

There was a compelling, (and crazily simple) story to tell with Goldberg losing the belt.

Nash wins the way he did, (with Hall cheating on his behalf). Goldberg is angry, and demands a rematch. Nash, (still a face), goes "whoops, yeah. I didn't mean to win the title like this. Sure." But you can have the NWO putting obstacles in both Nash, and Goldberg's way. Nash gets a few title feuds, Goldberg gets to angrily lay waste to everybody as he chases the belt. You delay the rematch until the crowd is literally salivating for it, and have Goldberg win, (if you want to get fancy have Nash cheat again this time on his own accord and turn heel), to thunderous applause.

Simple, easy, and Hogan can even be involved. Either as one of Nash's title contenders, or the final miniboss before the Nash/Goldberg rematch.

Hire me Eric.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Goldberg didn’t need to lose the belt. He’d barely had any loving feuds! He wins the belt and is IMMEDIATELY sidelined.

Road Wild - random midcard battle royale with nWo jobbers.
Fall Brawl - doesn’t have a match
Halloween Havoc - a good DDP match but barely an actual feud
World War III - doesn’t have a match
Starrcade - loses to Nash

The latter half of 1998 is an immaculate master class of burial by Hogan and Nash. Put the belt on Goldberg so it looks like you’re playing ball, then immediately stop giving him feuds and featuring him. Hogan lost the belt to him and in storyline he didn’t even CARE, he had bigger fish to fry with Malone and Leno.

The most heated feud they gave the guy was against Bam Bam on a few Nitros.

Imagine if HBK’s back didn’t get hosed, Austin wins the title, and then doesn’t even appear on several subsequent PPVs and fights against D.O.A. while HBK continues main eventing. Austin eventually loses the title to HHH to no fanfare months later. That would never happen because it’s nuts, but it’s pretty much what WCW did.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And don't forget, after losing to Nash, he's shunted off to a feud with Luger and later Bret Hart, neither of whom are champion.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

Starrcade 98 felt like the turning point for me. Not only do they have the horrible finish with Goldberg losing well before he should've, the whole show was just bad- it feels like that was the point where Bischoff no longer knew how to put on a good wrestling show.
Kidman's two matches were pretty good. But, yeah. That was it. Legend has it, Heenan turned to Tenay in their rental car after the show and basically said, "that's it. We're done. We're never coming back from that."

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I believe fall brawl or ww3 were when Jericho was annoying him and wanted Goldberg to destroy him. But Goldberg had vacation scheduled and also didn’t realize that Jericho wasn’t serous.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GAB 99's kind of a cool little snapshot of how far they'd fallen. No mention of goldberg or hogan iirc. DDP lost the nuclear pops he got as babyface. Piper and Flair proceed to put on the most miserable match on the card. I like Piper but he never really figured out how to gracefully enter the old and busted portion of his career. Also Portland was never a workrate town. Let's be real.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

GAB 99's kind of a cool little snapshot of how far they'd fallen. No mention of goldberg or hogan iirc. DDP lost the nuclear pops he got as babyface. Piper and Flair proceed to put on the most miserable match on the card. I like Piper but he never really figured out how to gracefully enter the old and busted portion of his career. Also Portland was never a workrate town. Let's be real.

Yeah even when Horace came out instead of Scott Norton to face Ernest Miller (which they never explained, and Cat just looked confused as hell) I don't think even then that they specified Horace was Hulk's nephew. There was zero mention of Goldberg. The crowd was completely silent by the 2nd match.

Also hoooooooly poo poo I forgot how absolutely awful WCW was about pacing. Every single match on that card last night went at least 50% longer than it should have.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

By the time 99 came around my brain completely checked out on WCW matches. I just couldn't watch the wrestling, it maxed out at 'lame'. I think. I don't know because my brain refuses to remember anything from the matches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DJExile posted:

Also hoooooooly poo poo I forgot how absolutely awful WCW was about pacing. Every single match on that card last night went at least 50% longer than it should have.
It's awesome how they had an insanely huge roster and used those people for endless run-ins instead of prelim matches.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Why the gently caress couldn't WCW have just given me Scott Norton, the shits.

DJExile posted:

I mean, I actually love it when my wrestling show I am watching makes every match feel like it's going for thirty thousand years and makes me question mortality and the nature of the sport of wrestling, oh and then some idiot in black gear puts on a rest hold.

How was Hak vs. Knobbs like the best put together match until Bill DeMott showed up (after the bell which I don't know if that made it worse or better compared to the other run-ins).

Remember when Dean Malenko turned on Benoit and Saturn to help the Jersey Duumvirate win the belts and no one acknowledged that that was what happened.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I could understand booking longer matches to a certain degree, given that Nitro went to 3 hour shows as of.... I think January 98? but holy poo poo it was like everyone went out there with a priority of stretching for time.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Nobody had anything of substance on that show aside from Benoit/Saturn vs. DDP/Kanyon, and even then the way the laid out the match they were stretching the cool moves DDP and Kanyon had to their absolute limit when they could have started hot with Benoit doing cool moves into the heat, but at least they all had cool things.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of the things about WCW that had kind of slipped my mind was that even their good midcard workers had their matches overbooked into oblivion.

karmicknight posted:

Why the gently caress couldn't WCW have just given me Scott Norton, the shits.
We don't deserve Scott Norton.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DJExile posted:

I could understand booking longer matches to a certain degree, given that Nitro went to 3 hour shows as of.... I think January 98? but holy poo poo it was like everyone went out there with a priority of stretching for time.

Nitro started doing 3 hours periodically in late 1997. I went to a taping that December and remember being surprised that it, too, was going to be 3 hours as it had been kinda irregular. I also remember there being no matches during the first hour of that taping.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The most perplexing thing of turning the third hour into sort of a preshow is that they were unopposed. They had a full hour to put on a few cruiserweight matches, run a few angles to keep people tuned in, maybe start a match people want to see at 8:55pm that's guaranteed to go past Raw's 9pm start time, etc. They just wasted it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I also remember there being no matches during the first hour of that taping.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The most perplexing thing of turning the third hour into sort of a preshow is that they were unopposed. They had a full hour to put on a few cruiserweight matches, run a few angles to keep people tuned in, maybe start a match people want to see at 8:55pm that's guaranteed to go past Raw's 9pm start time, etc. They just wasted it.

This was seriously the most absurd thing. They went through the time and expense of running a third hour and did less than nothing with it. Eric was so loving obsessed with winning the head-to-head ratings that he never bothered to put an entire unopposed hour in prime time to use.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Love the pause after the Spinebuster. "Yep, still got it."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I marked so loving hard when Arn pulled that off. Goddamn.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

In the before times, they were doing 2-hour shows with an immediate replay, so you could watch the first hour of Nitro, switch to Raw, and then flip back to Nitro for the last hour when Raw was done. Switching to 3 hours disrupted that and forced fans to choose, mostly for sheer hubris.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IronCladBurrito posted:

In the before times, they were doing 2-hour shows with an immediate replay, so you could watch the first hour of Nitro, switch to Raw, and then flip back to Nitro for the last hour when Raw was done. Switching to 3 hours disrupted that and forced fans to choose, mostly for sheer hubris.

Well, you don't want people watching your competition and then watching your replay and at the point they went to 3 hours people were watching Nitro live and not Raw anyway.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DJExile posted:

This was seriously the most absurd thing. They went through the time and expense of running a third hour and did less than nothing with it. Eric was so loving obsessed with winning the head-to-head ratings that he never bothered to put an entire unopposed hour in prime time to use.
I'm pretty sure this isn't true. The first hour of Nitro was the proper beginning of the show. It's even noteworthy that the one time they didn't run a single match in the first hour was that time right after the Fingerpoke of Doom that lives in infamy.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what we're talking about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the argument isn't that there was no wrestling in the first hour, but rather no wrestling of consequence. You were more likely to get a Jerry Flynn match than one featuring people you care about.

Which I'm not sure is ENTIRELY true. I feel like there was some of that good midcard action in there. But its been over 20 years so I have no idea. And I definitely remember that the first hour almost always ended with a NWO promo into the second hour/start of RAW.

The fact that WCW used to have a different set of announcers for the first hour certainly didn't help dissuade the "preshow" idea.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I hate to give Vince credit for a single thing but it holds true that Vince NEEDS his wrestling company to succeed, and at the end of the day when his other ventures collapse, he will always fall back and shore it up.

It could not be more obvious by mid 98 that Bischoff is checked out and trying to move to Hollywood with his Jason Hervey contacts and letting the whole thing go to poo poo. But no one in Turner understands what’s up, the ratings are okay, just let it roll. But the damage being done in that period is catastrophic.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

The fact that WCW used to have a different set of announcers for the first hour certainly didn't help dissuade the "preshow" idea.
Swapping out Larry Zbyszko for Bobby Heenan never really felt like "okay, now the real show begins" to me. It was still Schiavone and Tenay.

Tato posted:

It could not be more obvious by mid 98 that Bischoff is checked out and trying to move to Hollywood with his Jason Hervey contacts and letting the whole thing go to poo poo. But no one in Turner understands what’s up, the ratings are okay, just let it roll. But the damage being done in that period is catastrophic.
Is this what happened?! I always wondered. I mean, he was clearly into things right up until Warrior flopped and then everything just got... gah. When did Zane stop being a part of things?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DJExile posted:

This is totally false. They would run major segments with Hogan and other angles in the first hour all the time, and were well aware that 8:50 was a very important segment to keep people from switching over.

Tato posted:

I hate to give Vince credit for a single thing but it holds true that Vince NEEDS his wrestling company to succeed, and at the end of the day when his other ventures collapse, he will always fall back and shore it up.

Bischoff was losing his mind in 1998 because he was so obsessed with ratings and trying to beat the WWF. This is just false. He did so much damage to the product because he kept hot shotting things and making short term decisions to focus on old stars to try to beat the WWF in the short term and ignored business was still strong.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I think the argument isn't that there was no wrestling in the first hour, but rather no wrestling of consequence. You were more likely to get a Jerry Flynn match than one featuring people you care about.

Which I'm not sure is ENTIRELY true. I feel like there was some of that good midcard action in there. But its been over 20 years so I have no idea. And I definitely remember that the first hour almost always ended with a NWO promo into the second hour/start of RAW.

Depends on your definition of "midcard" - I remember seeing lots of good cruiserweight matches in the first hour, and maybe a TV title bout, but also a lot of Disco Inferno etc.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
What was in the first hour varied week to week. One week the show might have 3 straight cruiserweight matches. The next week you might get a Mongo match in the first hour. The next week you'd have Luger vs Hennig and DDP defending the US title against Hammer. You'd see Goldberg in the first hour a lot when he was building steam in early 98, and I believe one of the DDP/Sting World title matches started in the first hour to hold the rating into the second. I think the Goldberg/Raven US title match was the same way.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The thing that annoyed me the most about the cruiserweight matches back when Nitro was kicking RAW's rear end in the ratings every week was that the announcers would literally spend about 85% of the time talking about the NWO rather than the match itself.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think Bischoff legit thought all the Hollywood overtures he was making would help WCW (hell, it was the entire basis of Ready to Rumble, which he was supposed to be in.) Like maybe by '99, when the ratings and gates were collapsing, he might have been thinking of his "next move" but it was probably too late.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 18, 2020

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Swapping out Larry Zbyszko for Bobby Heenan never really felt like "okay, now the real show begins" to me. It was still Schiavone and Tenay.

Is this what happened?! I always wondered. I mean, he was clearly into things right up until Warrior flopped and then everything just got... gah. When did Zane stop being a part of things?

Yes. Several Observers from the second half of 1998 go into detail about how Bischoff isn't there, how he's in Hollywood trying to make contacts, how he's left Nash in charge of booking and starts not even showing up to tapings some weeks. You could say that maybe he saw the sinking ship on the horizon and was starting to bail once the ratings war got hard, but he was definitely putting a foot out the door. He was obviously hoping to catapult the WCW success into moving upwards in Turner or to another production company, but it didn't work out. By the time he checked back in, stuff was truly hosed. I don't think he would have let Nash destroy things so much if he intended to come back.

Tato fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 18, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nice sweater, Jim

Sting/Vader was a good feud, and was one of the few main event feuds they didn't make Sting look like a complete moron

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I had assumed that Vader was the final boss in that WCW NES game, but he wasn't in the promotion when it came out. Who was he supposed to be?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was Andre the Giant as Giant Machine. Although why *he* was there is anyone's guess

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tato posted:

Yes. Several Observers from the second half of 1998 go into detail about how Bischoff isn't there, how he's in Hollywood trying to make contacts, how he's left Nash in charge of booking and starts not even showing up to tapings some weeks. You could say that maybe he saw the sinking ship on the horizon and was starting to bail once the ratings war got hard, but he was definitely putting a foot out the door. He was obviously hoping to catapult the WCW success into moving upwards in Turner or to another production company, but it didn't work out. By the time he checked back in, stuff was truly hosed. I don't think he would have let Nash destroy things so much if he intended to come back.
I don't think Nash got the book until '99.

Better Than You posted:

The thing that annoyed me the most about the cruiserweight matches back when Nitro was kicking RAW's rear end in the ratings every week was that the announcers would literally spend about 85% of the time talking about the NWO rather than the match itself.
I've been saying this for almost two decades now, but WWE has boring twenty-minute promos to start every Raw where they explain the angles to the audience, and people interrupt other people, and everybody stands around letting other people talk poo poo about them without doing anything about it. I'm being a bit too colorful here, because my only real point is that the promos are so loving loooooooong. Imagine if that segment was two-or-three matches, and the announcers talk up the big angles.

I'd rather have the matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The one time the show-opening promo was consistently when Bryan and Shane would just go "hey everybody we have a great show for you tonight. Here are the matches we have planned." and it would be done in five minutes. And they tried to sound excited for the matches that they supposedly booked themselves, which no authority figure ever seems to do.