Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So close to three stars :negative:

Turns out I need more decorations outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It never seems to rain on my island. It happened for the first time today and I only caught like 5 minutes of it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Elucidarius posted:

It means they're too close to grow. If you want to test a spot try planting a full grown tree, it won't let you if the spot won't work.

I think there's an actual mechanic that prevents trees from growing in spots they could be placed, because the area is considered crowded? Like, you can get some really dense orchards moving trees manually, but if you try to grow them from scratch with that density some just won't go.

ErrEff posted:

It never seems to rain on my island. It happened for the first time today and I only caught like 5 minutes of it.

Yeah, I just got a tiny bit of rain today. I think rain simply wasn't possible during cherry blossoms (and probably bunny day) so that's why it's felt so rare.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I think there's an actual mechanic that prevents trees from growing in spots they could be placed, because the area is considered crowded? Like, you can get some really dense orchards moving trees manually, but if you try to grow them from scratch with that density some just won't go.

Yeah, I just got a tiny bit of rain today. I think rain simply wasn't possible during cherry blossoms (and probably bunny day) so that's why it's felt so rare.

If you're placing a sapling somewhere that it can't go, it will allow you to plant it but it will never grow. A full-grown tree will just tell you there's no space if it's a place a tree can't go. You can get the same density in the end either way.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

TwoSheds posted:

Morning, everyone!

Turnip price for this morning is 508 Bells!

I’m leaving my gates open, so get while the getting’s good!

Also, if anybody has roses, tulips, or pansies they don’t need, I could use a few seed bags.

Dodo code: G2D8G

Heads up, the spike ends at noon EST, so if you were dragging your feet, now's the time to hop over and unload!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you're placing a sapling somewhere that it can't go, it will allow you to plant it but it will never grow. A full-grown tree will just tell you there's no space if it's a place a tree can't go. You can get the same density in the end either way.

I swear I've seen people post screenshots of orchards with totally valid positioning but saplings that refuse to grow.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TRNP bumped to 172 this morning and two trackers are still giving me a mega spike for the afternoon :homebrew:

Not worried any more since I sold 2/3 of my batch at a big profit, anything more will just be gravy.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Octavian is crafting ironwood table.

I don't think anything else interesting is happening but feel free to look in the shops.

https://turnip.exchange/island/79890111

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

LastGoodBoy posted:

It's funny you mention this. This is the first Animal Crossing where money is not the goal anymore for me, as I played the stalk market for the first time in earnest and made more bells than I'll ever need. In the past, I did the money tree thing, I did the foreign fruit things, and here I can't be bothered to pick all the fruit because I have almost 13 million in my bank account.

That in mind, I am now finding other fun aspects of the game I hadn't considered, such as coming up with cool and hilarious new clothes everyone loves and sharing them wherever I go, or just pulling out a quarter mil in bells and making it rain on whatever goon's island I go to.

It's a bit frustrating that the ultimate goal is self-satisfying aesthetics but the game tries to force you a certain way through both the HHA and Isabelle.

Isabelle sucks this game

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TwoSheds posted:

Heads up, the spike ends at noon EST, so if you were dragging your feet, now's the time to hop over and unload!

I was able to get to your island earlier but about halfway to the shop to sell I got kicked back to my island and haven't been able to return. Not sure what the issue is as I'm able to get to other islands.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

So close to three stars :negative:

Turns out I need more decorations outside

This is where I'm at. I like having a none cluttered island drat it!

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I was able to get to your island earlier but about halfway to the shop to sell I got kicked back to my island and haven't been able to return. Not sure what the issue is as I'm able to get to other islands.

drat, sorry, I must have been kicked off and I'm afk until tonight.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I finally got the pathing tools, but I've got a bunch of rocks in the way of where I want to put paths. If destroy the rock do they ever come back somewhere else?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Poque posted:

It's a bit frustrating that the ultimate goal is self-satisfying aesthetics but the game tries to force you a certain way through both the HHA and Isabelle.

Isabelle sucks this game

Idk, hitting 3 stars felt totally trivial to me, and I got to 5 pretty naturally? The only thing I kinda had to push myself to do was decorate -more- parts of the map, but that kinda just came down to tossing a pond stone here, a bath there, some fish racks on the beach, and I'm actually kinda happy with the end result since it pushed me to come up with some ideas for what might make spots look nicer.

Like, you're kinda not being forced to do anything because beyond 3 stars, there's not a lot of reason to do it? Plus I remember getting a "perfect" town in previous games coming with similar nuisances.

Maybe you just suck at decorating and Isabelle is being far too polite. :colbert:

track day bro! posted:

I finally got the pathing tools, but I've got a bunch of rocks in the way of where I want to put paths. If destroy the rock do they ever come back somewhere else?

Yes. Rocks regenerate at 1 per day till your back at your maximum. They won't regenerate on hard paths, but they can pop up on dirt paths.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've been playing this every day since launch and have yet to receive a recipe from Isabelle. Today my 5 year old logs in for the second time and gets a recipe. What the gently caress Isabelle.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

So I have Colton moving out today which is kind of a bummer because he was my mandatory smug campsite villager but actually turned out pretty good

also his house is great

He's packed up his stuff today so if anyone wants him, let me know!

e: someone PM'd me - thanks!

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 17, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Oxyclean posted:

Idk, hitting 3 stars felt totally trivial to me, and I got to 5 pretty naturally? The only thing I kinda had to push myself to do was decorate -more- parts of the map, but that kinda just came down to tossing a pond stone here, a bath there, some fish racks on the beach, and I'm actually kinda happy with the end result since it pushed me to come up with some ideas for what might make spots look nicer.

Like, you're kinda not being forced to do anything because beyond 3 stars, there's not a lot of reason to do it? Plus I remember getting a "perfect" town in previous games coming with similar nuisances.

Maybe you just suck at decorating and Isabelle is being far too polite. :colbert:

These are all valid points and it's not super difficult to get there, but there's just some dissonance for the game to be based around going to a deserted island and then being basically punished for not throwing trash on every corner

Game is still good but I overplayed during the stay-at-home order and now I'm ready to move on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Is there even anything worthwhile that happens for hitting 5 stars? I hit 3 stars the first time I went in to ask for a rating and got the KK visit, I just assumed trying for a higher ranking was mostly just an "if you feel like it" kinda goal.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Is there even anything worthwhile that happens for hitting 5 stars? I hit 3 stars the first time I went in to ask for a rating and got the KK visit, I just assumed trying for a higher ranking was mostly just an "if you feel like it" kinda goal.

You get the recipe for the gold watering can and can start finding lily-of-the-valley flowers around your island.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Also, five... Is more than 3 (it's 2 more)

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Fru Fru posted:

You get the recipe for the gold watering can and can start finding lily-of-the-valley flowers around your island.

Do these (the flowers) do anything or are they just aesthetic? Just curious. I found one today and that's how I found out I hit five stars! They're so pretty!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh...I wouldn't mind some new flowers. I thought the gold tool recipes were just unlocked by tool use or something, but I'm putting all future gold into caskets so that part isn't relevant for me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Poque posted:

These are all valid points and it's not super difficult to get there, but there's just some dissonance for the game to be based around going to a deserted island and then being basically punished for not throwing trash on every corner

Game is still good but I overplayed during the stay-at-home order and now I'm ready to move on.

What part of not being able to get a gold watering can recipe is being "punished"? :psyduck: At worst, you throw some trash in every corner, get the DIY, then pick it all up. Or you could just work towards it decorating more naturally as you find stuff that fits? Three stars takes a totally trivial amount of stuff that it really hardly can be called "throwing trash in every corner."

Like the island rating mechanic is about making your town pretty and hospitable. (Like, the initial goal is making a place KK would want to visit) - it sort of feels appropriate that it pushes you to make the most of the outdoor decorating mechanics. I feel like your complaint would be the equivalent of complaining about the old games making you plant/tend flowers for the perfect rating.

I don't think there's any dissonance in a game about decorating asking you to decorate your town a little bit so you can get more tools to decorate your town. I don't mean to be so harsh, but it feels like really weird way to frame your criticism.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Has anyone seen, or even better- have- the zen cushion in a color other than that dark purplish blue?

If so, can I come catalog?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

HaB posted:

Has anyone seen, or even better- have- the zen cushion in a color other than that dark purplish blue?

you can customize them into different patterns?

Religious Man
Nov 28, 2010

Perfect God and Perfect Man

ErrEff posted:

Same, but now for past few days it has been raining on and off almost non-stop.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

HaB posted:

Zen cushion can be customized, you don't need to find the variants in the store.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fru Fru posted:

Octavian is crafting ironwood table.

I don't think anything else interesting is happening but feel free to look in the shops.

https://turnip.exchange/island/79890111

Fru Fru, where'd you get the amazing manhole covers? I am lusting after these!

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Fru Fru, where'd you get the amazing manhole covers? I am lusting after these!

They are just regular manhole covers that are customized!

Customization is actually really cool. I never thought I would use it as much as I do.

redcheval posted:

Do these (the flowers) do anything or are they just aesthetic? Just curious. I found one today and that's how I found out I hit five stars! They're so pretty!

I have no idea. I read somewhere that they might help other flowers produce offspring but I think that was just conjecture.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fru Fru posted:

They are just regular manhole covers that are customized!

Customization is actually really cool. I never thought I would use it as much as I do.

That's such an amazing idea that I am 100% going to crib, I hope you don't mind. I didn't realize you could customize them that well!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Oxyclean posted:

What part of not being able to get a gold watering can recipe is being "punished"? :psyduck: At worst, you throw some trash in every corner, get the DIY, then pick it all up. Or you could just work towards it decorating more naturally as you find stuff that fits? Three stars takes a totally trivial amount of stuff that it really hardly can be called "throwing trash in every corner."

Like the island rating mechanic is about making your town pretty and hospitable. (Like, the initial goal is making a place KK would want to visit) - it sort of feels appropriate that it pushes you to make the most of the outdoor decorating mechanics. I feel like your complaint would be the equivalent of complaining about the old games making you plant/tend flowers for the perfect rating.

I don't think there's any dissonance in a game about decorating asking you to decorate your town a little bit so you can get more tools to decorate your town. I don't mean to be so harsh, but it feels like really weird way to frame your criticism.

It is just simply frustrating to me that in a game with very few stated goals, two of them to be "Make an island that you like!" and "You have to make an island a certain way to make the face of the franchise happy!" Like if I want to have a cool nature trail, the game will scold me for having too many trees. You're correct that it isn't an actual big deal since I can ignore it, but it's still there in the back of my mind as somebody who generally likes to do everything in a game.

It's a me problem, I'm not trying to say that it's a universal problem for all players. I'm also player two on an island with my partner who is trying to do everything so it's partly a (much-discussed) problem with how Nintendo designed the game.

ErrEff posted:

I think rain was halted for the first half of this month while Cherry Blossoms / Bunny Day were going on.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Martytoof posted:

That's such an amazing idea that I am 100% going to crib, I hope you don't mind. I didn't realize you could customize them that well!

Please do! I haven't seen a lot of people using them and I think they are really pretty.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can't get past two stars. Isabelle keeps saying more fruit trees but I have a huge section of the island that's just fruit trees, not just my own. I don't want to put more of those trees anywhere else. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to have to throw poo poo just around anywhere to get the rating up but I want to be able to make real paths.

The rating thing is dumb. I don't care about kk slider. Just let me make paths!!!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Johnny Truant posted:

you can customize them into different patterns?

Oh hey look at that.

Thanks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Snake Maze posted:

Zen cushion can be customized, you don't need to find the variants in the store.

Wtf I didn't know this either! The divide between "customize-able" and "must find variant at the store" is so arbitrary and stupid. Just let us customize everything!

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I’m opening Deltalore, where turnips are 507
It just turned 12:00pm

https://turnip.exchange/island/d5dc2681

Go north to the plaza, and follow the NW path to get to Nook’s.

I’m working, so I’m on-and-off afk

Redczar fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 17, 2020

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Silver Falcon posted:

Wtf I didn't know this either! The divide between "customize-able" and "must find variant at the store" is so arbitrary and stupid. Just let us customize everything!

Yeah I agree. I don’t check most things to see if they are because ppl always talking about “I’ll trade a pink drink machine for your white snack machine” or whatever. Why can’t I just customize them?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Has anyone found a really good looking Stepping Stone pattern?

I have yet to find one I’m happy with.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HaB posted:

Yeah I agree. I don’t check most things to see if they are because ppl always talking about “I’ll trade a pink drink machine for your white snack machine” or whatever. Why can’t I just customize them?

It's either to encourage trading or to have a reason for Cyrus to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle

thanks bud. left some bells at the house behind town center.