Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

oh my god, this woman sounds like she is going to harm that child

Got serious vibes of she's going to drive them both into the ocean to free them from the banality of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

English is the Calvinball of languages.

Idioms are definitely a unique feature of English that isn't common to every human language on the planet. It's totally understandable why the mere existence of them would trigger a minor meltdown in the r/r thread.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my sisters husband about her "past"?

quote:

I'm 38M and my sister is 35F

When my sister was 21 she got pregnant from a one night stand, baby didnt make it unfortunately which devastated my sister but with therapy she moved on.

She met her partner a year later, four years ago she had their first child.

We're currently living with my mother to stay close together.

We got onto the topic of children and while I don't want children (neither does my partner) apparently my sisters partner wants another one so that way their child has a sibling.

She changed subject quickly and we moved on to another subject.

We got speaking about it later and I asked her if she wanted another child, basically she said she didnt believe her son needed a sibling.

I said,, "well, he technically already has a sibling doesn't he?"

Apparently her partner overheard and they got into a huge argument because she hadnt told him.

She's upset with me for talking about it at all and for basically telling her husband

And her partner is upset with her, it's all a huge thing.

My mother thinks I should've never mentioned it and believes I'm out of order here.

I think her partner should've known anyway

AITA?

She had a stillbirth for everyone wondering.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

What the ever loving christ :psyduck: This is the weirdest random spite move I've seen in a while, and that's saying something for this thread.

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smirking_Serpent posted:

oh thank God he added that extra crucial detail at the end that I was definitely wondering about

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

boar guy posted:

obviously you've never slept with someone that really snores, you can feel it on a visceral level in your bones and earplugs do nothing to prevent it

Unless you're in the same bed next to them that's on an unholy level.

E: I guess a small hotel room might do that, but drat.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Unless you're in the same bed next to them that's on an unholy level.

you ever seen that simpsons where they go on vacation with the flanders and sleep in adjoining rooms and the flanders cant sleep because homer's snoring is that invasive

thats a real thing. also when you wake someone up out of a sleep like that they tend to rage and want to go ham on you. it's not their fault yet you will hate them for it

before my wife got her cpap i could sleep in the other ROOM and her snoring would still keep me up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PetraCore posted:

Eh, it does sound like serious depression is going on, but I'm also not defending her.

Eh depression is an emotion and she doesn’t have those.

She honestly reads like what television writers thing autistic people are

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Extreme snoring is something that, even if you employ sound dampening ear gear towards, is simply felt more than it is heard. Like the bass from a hooligan's stereo in an adjacent apartment at 2:00 AM.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

Fortunately it's only on my scalp. I was wondering how op could have psoriasis only on her gooch

:thunk:

(I have psoriasis too. It can totally be localised, actually)

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh depression is an emotion and she doesn’t have those.

She honestly reads like what television writers thing autistic people are

Depression (clinical) is very commonly the absence of emotion, a feeling of numbness and “cold logic” that robs you of all human connection while progressively convincing you that love, fun, showers, getting out of bed, and being alive are all meaningless and you’re better off without. PPD is notorious for making you feel like a wooden doll with no emotions except for maybe rage and paranoia. This woman has EXTREMELY bad (and classic) postpartum depression and needs help like yesterday.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

elise the great posted:

Depression (clinical) is very commonly the absence of emotion, a feeling of numbness and “cold logic” that robs you of all human connection while progressively convincing you that love, fun, showers, getting out of bed, and being alive are all meaningless and you’re better off without. PPD is notorious for making you feel like a wooden doll with no emotions except for maybe rage and paranoia. This woman has EXTREMELY bad (and classic) postpartum depression and needs help like yesterday.

But she said she doesn't have PPD. Please believe women.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for exposing my BIL’s past incest relationship?

quote:

Obviously a sensitive topic so I will be changing some names and minor details. Throwaway for same reasons.

Anyway, I live in a small-ish town and my sister, my BIL, and me all went to the same high school. BIL is about my age and sister is five years younger. We are all in our 30s now. In this post, I’ll be calling BIL “Eric”. That’s not his real name.

When Eric was in high school, he was hooking up with his first cousin “Abby”. Again, small school, so everybody knew. It eventually turned to a full blow relationship but their parents found out senior year and made them break up. They continued to hook up through college but unfortunately Abby developed a drug problem and moved out west. I’m not sure what ended up happening with her as BIL doesn’t keep in touch.

My sister knows all of this, but our parents do not. We were talking the other day about how some cultures it is normal to marry your cousins. I decided gently caress it and told my parents about Eric dating his own cousin. I’d had a bit to drink and I was more Frank than usual.

My dad basically called Eric immediately and started kind of ribbing him about it. Eric didn’t take it well and somehow found out that I had spilled the truth. Without consulting my sister he uninvited me from their wedding next fall (they are legally married, but they haven’t thrown a proper wedding yet)..

AITA? I have no clue how my parents didn’t know before.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

elise the great posted:

It's just as likely that op and her story is fake. She posted another story about how she pretends to have ppd to get out of taking care of her child, so she's either lying to herself or lying to reddit

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I know you’re just lollin’ but “believe women” doesn’t mean suspending habeas corpus, it means doing due-diligence investigation on accusations. Which means that her claim of no PPD deserves full examination. Which means acknowledging that “no I don’t have depression I’m just a cold ball of logic that can’t feel love” is one of the primary symptoms of PPD and that PPD sufferers often fail to seek help because they’ve been told over and over that depression is an emotion and PPD is when you cry a lot after having a baby.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though to be honest I think the internet just shotguns depression like they used to shotgun autistic so it tracks

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Even leaving aside the whole secret dead baby thing why the gently caress would you ever say something like, "he's technically got a sibling" when said sibling is a stillborn baby? What the hell?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it meant believing that women exist. Something I have always acknowledged as true, even if I'm not super jazzed about it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MagusofStars posted:

Don't forget the aspect of "this guy thinks he's smarter than everybody else about film" and "anything that's popular sucks". Not a coincidence:
Box office returns for her movies: $91 million, $311 million, $374 million, $125 million
Box office returns for his movies: $44 million, $21 million, $22 million, $50 million

It's not safe to read the thread all at once.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
e: and I see the thread has gone way past this derail.

Cyks posted:

The OP specifically says she was let go from her current business and got an interview. There's nothing unclear about it.
with which company? At this point, we don't know where the fired woman is working.

quote:

I mean I guess it's possible that the employee who she let go on the 89th came back and got a job with HR at the same company OP was working at without OP knowing, the OP got let go and the company immediately changed their name without the OP knowing and then the OP reapplied for the position they were just let go from...

It's never made clear if the woman took up the offer, or when she started working again.
I wouldn't put it past a small business to do a name change after a layoff.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kimbo305 posted:

e: and I see the thread has gone way past this derail.

with which company? At this point, we don't know where the fired woman is working.

It's never made clear if the woman took up the offer, or when she started working again.
I wouldn't put it past a small business to do a name change after a layoff.

Oh my god

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tomfoolery posted:

Solution: Spank him until he cries

I can't decide if this would be falling into his cunning trap or not.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GORDON posted:

Hmmm. One is always on the lookout for signs of "downstairs" infection, with a new partner. If you don't want them asking about obvious signs, then you need to give them a heads-up, first.

I can confidently say I've never been "on the lookout for signs of downstairs infection" with a new partner. I suppose if something was weird down there I might notice but I certainly am not, like, waiting to catch a glimpse of that vag to check for symptoms lol

Licarn posted:

Asking for another menu isn't making a scene

yeah that was weird. I'm positive the restaurant wouldn't mind, they probably only do it to cultivate an air of traditional mystique, they're not going to say no to a customer over something dumb like that

Next time boyfriend gets the menu without prices for being a cringing coward

designer bags for resale...

yep she's an idiot

Get the feeling her husband is a LOT older than her too, she gave birth at 20 and her "husband" was still legally married to someone else right beforehand

cumshitter posted:

I prefer not having prices on the menu but I like to haggle. I once argued a five course meal and a couple bottles of wine down to me leaving and taking my crying husband with me.

lmao

ArbitraryC posted:

I wonder how she handled the sexist tradition of who pays.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol.

Also regardless of what happened, the fact she's still bringing it up MONTHS later is insane.

If you disagree you're probably ratshit crazy too!

what a surprise, the two most intolerable assholes in the thread having a bonding moment

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is pretty much just full-time LARPing.

I think people do stuff like this because they're trying to find some borrowed personality they can use full time instead of just... having a personality.

I mean my girlfriend and I have cutesy names for a couple things, mostly food as we discuss what to eat, but I don't think I could stand it much more than that. The biggest red flag though, is her saying that actually working is "inconsistent with her lifestyle" that really pissed me off and it should scare homeboy too

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bruceski posted:

Like a lot of broad sociological definitions, it can get confusing when taken from the general down to the specific or read as prescriptive rather than descriptive. For some people their country of origin (or even their state) can feel like an important part of their identity. In the case of that story the OP wanted to mention it because he felt like the French culture was a part of himself and "this is a sexist cultural thing" was a personal criticism, and the recent immigration (generationally speaking) is a justification for that response instead of just being some weird francophile.

Yeah he was trying to use it to make his case better and cast the whole thing as an assault on his heritage rather than a legitimate complaint about a sexist policy.

Too much of a coward to ask for another menu in a restaurant despite his girlfriend being upset about it AND too much of a coward to admit that he was wrong. That's how you get a girlfriend bothering you about something months after the fact, because you never had the courage or presence of mind to put it to bed and instead chose to go to reddit to try and prove your rightness

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

I can confidently say I've never been "on the lookout for signs of downstairs infection" with a new partner. I suppose if something was weird down there I might notice but I certainly am not, like, waiting to catch a glimpse of that vag to check for symptoms lol

When I was a much younger man and prone to discussing such things with my peers, each of us had a whole gamut of discrete, visual and olfactory checks we'd perform on the sexual partners we'd likely just met an hour before. You're looking for open sores, warts, scabs, wildlife, bad smells. Just seems like due diligence.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not letting my daughter (18F) get a stripper pole for exercise?

Background: She’s a high school senior, she does gymnastics and dance team through school but all of that is cancelled since everyone is tell-schooling from home now. Her argument is that pole dancing is great exercise (no argument here) and not very different doing gymnastics from home. She wants to put it in our basement rec room, which to be fair isn’t used much and has plenty of space. My argument is... it’s a freakin’ stripper pole. No way do I want her on one of those.

UPDATE: Okay, I’m moderately convinced that I’m overreacting, but I’ll leave this up for now because people seem to love a soapbox. By the way, I didn’t make this clear, but I’m her father.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

English is the Calvinball of languages.

Short version: The English language came about from the attempts of French speaking soldiers to pick up German speaking barmaids.

Long version: Well no, but it takes a book to explain why that's not true.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there's a healthy sprinkling of Viking conqueror words in there too

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

Its easy to think of her as an rear end in a top hat because shes obviously very depressed and the thing society has pinned down as the meaning of life has not given much meaning to her life.

And admitting as much will, in most circles, get one branded a monster.

r/chidfree is chock full of stories of people like her, who have kids because they've been conditioned to believe that it's what you're supposed to do with your life, then putting in the bare minimum of effort when it turns out their hearts aren't in it.

Meanwhile, the people who think rationally and conclude that parenthood isn't for them get called "selfish" and "immature".

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

bought my daughter a stripper pole

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Play posted:

Yeah he was trying to use it to make his case better and cast the whole thing as an assault on his heritage rather than a legitimate complaint about a sexist policy.

Too much of a coward to ask for another menu in a restaurant despite his girlfriend being upset about it AND too much of a coward to admit that he was wrong. That's how you get a girlfriend bothering you about something months after the fact, because you never had the courage or presence of mind to put it to bed and instead chose to go to reddit to try and prove your rightness

I mean it's perfectly fine to point out the policy is sexist but she didn't need a second menu, it's not like it affected their dinner. Lot of high end places won't have prices at all. The dynamic is certainly something to raise your eyebrow about and could be an interesting topic of conversation but "I'm going to leave unless I get a menu with the numbers on it too" feels like an over the top way to handle it to me, harping about it for months after the fact just seems beyond the pail to me. If she really thinks it's that important and evidence the guy is unapologetically sexist why doesn't she just dump him and find someone more on the same page as her.

You either got to let it go or move on.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm gonna put on a cummerbund and a bow tie and chase goons around until they die of fright

WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE OUR WINE LIST SIR MUAHAHA

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean it's perfectly fine to point out the policy is sexist but she didn't need a second menu, it's not like it affected their dinner. Lot of high end places won't have prices at all. The dynamic is certainly something to raise your eyebrow about and could be an interesting topic of conversation but "I'm going to leave unless I get a menu with the numbers on it too" feels like an over the top way to handle it to me, harping about it for months after the fact just seems beyond the pail to me. If she really thinks it's that important and evidence the guy is unapologetically sexist why doesn't she just dump him and find someone more on the same page as her.

You either got to let it go or move on.

Or maybe he should have just let her ask for another menu.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Won't someone please think of the poor sexist assholes in charge of the restaurant

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

Or maybe he should have just let her ask for another menu.

Nothing was stopping her from asking, she wanted him to ask cause she didn't speak the language and he didn't want to because he felt it was some sort of social faux pas in the restaurant and didn't understand why she needed the menu so badly, he offered to share his so she could see the prices.

Clearly she thought the symbolism was really important and he didn't back her up cause he didn't see it that way, it's important enough for her to keep bringing it up months later, so she should dump him. Seems real clear cut to me.

Since it's the guy that posted it, he should do the right thing and dump her as a favor.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 17, 2020

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Jeez, all this derailing and you haven't even mentioned how much he tipped the waiter.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Invisible Clergy posted:

Same. What treatment did you use? I haven't had luck with anything I've tried. Fortunately it's only on my scalp. I was wondering how op could have psoriasis only on her gooch, but then i remembered rule 1 of r/relationships: all the characters are much fatter than you're imagining them.

I've been on different biologics over the years and I'm currently taking Cosentyx, which has been near perfect for treating and managing my psoriasis. Biologics are basically magic for treating this stuff.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for joking about making sure that my female coworker and I (a guy) would share a room when I book our hotel for our team outing?

Big flip between my initial read from the title - this genuinely sounds like two friends joking about some annoying rear end snoring. His intent with the joke, and her reception of it, is totally not offensive and neither of them took it as such.

With that said, they’re all irredeemably weird because what sort of strange loving business trip involves 11 adults sharing a sleeping space like you’re in middle having a sleepover with your friends.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

causticBeet posted:

Big flip between my initial read from the title - this genuinely sounds like two friends joking about some annoying rear end snoring. His intent with the joke, and her reception of it, is totally not offensive and neither of them took it as such.

With that said, they’re all irredeemably weird because what sort of strange loving business trip involves 11 adults sharing a sleeping space like you’re in middle having a sleepover with your friends.

It's also weird that, when the other coworker told him that joke was bad, that he didn't explain it. He could've just been "oh, I see how that came across. Woops." But instead just said "ok" and is still salty about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

causticBeet posted:

It says an outting with events like hiking so my impression the event isn't business related but rather friends/team building within the company.
Still completely abnormal but OPs joke sounds completely harmless.