Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
please let kaguya-sama series 2 be already finished please let kaguya-sama series 2 be already finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No anime is already finished. That isn't how the industry works. Period. Some stuff migt not get delayed, but its not because it's all done and they can just go home.

https://twitter.com/AshitanoGin/status/1251147766048251905

Here's a guy who has some industry-insider knowledge. Don't take it as fact or anything but.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 17, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

No anime is already finished. That isn't how the industry works. Period. Some stuff migt not get delayed, but its not because it's all done and they can just go home.

https://twitter.com/AshitanoGin/status/1251147766048251905

Here's a guy who has some industry-insider knowledge. Don't take it as fact or anything but.

I think what people are hoping for at the least is the development staff of some shows might have successfully transitioned to working from home rather than just pulling the plug at three episodes in to just shelter and wait.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah the sakugablog season preview also mentioned whether some shows had a large production buffer or not, dunno how that aligns with how things have changed in the weeks since but there should be some stuff able to weather this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh yeah, like I said, some stuff will definitely air as planned. There's just nothing that's completely in the tank. What this means is even stuff that continues to air might not be up to the same standards it was, animation-wise, or an episode might get delayed a week but the entire series won't get completely postponed. Look at Railgun T for an example of the middle ground, it got delayed a few times but not postponed until further notice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
today after lunch i was looking for the new railgun episode because i had a bit of time unlike previous couple weeks and it wasn't there and i thought it got postponed again

but no, it was just the stupid DST delaying my eps by an hour :v:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

bakarina and bookworm have both been confirmed finished for a while but yeah that's an unusual situation and they're both very modest productions.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think what people are hoping for at the least is the development staff of some shows might have successfully transitioned to working from home rather than just pulling the plug at three episodes in to just shelter and wait.

animators can work from home, but other parts of the process probably use specialized studio hardware/software that won't easily transition to home use. audio in particular requires people present in a recording studio.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah most of what I've heard about the ongoing delays is that dubbing is a bigger problem at this stage than the actual animation itself.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tales of Woe posted:

bakarina and bookworm have both been confirmed finished for a while but yeah that's an unusual situation and they're both very modest productions.

animators can work from home, but other parts of the process probably use specialized studio hardware/software that won't easily transition to home use. audio in particular requires people present in a recording studio.

Yeah, dubbing and foley work are hard to do without a studio. Even if you got your voice team all the equipment needed for home work, foley requires a pretty big variety of materials to get their sound samples and an extremely quiet place. Maybe there are online repositories that can help, but they can't provide everything you need.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, dubbing and foley work are hard to do without a studio. Even if you got your voice team all the equipment needed for home work, foley requires a pretty big variety of materials to get their sound samples and an extremely quiet place. Maybe there are online repositories that can help, but they can't provide everything you need.

If only we had a Doumeki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxLDm9_22Ic

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Reading up on some US productions even if studios switch to work from home which I imagine most are doing it can still create delays plus recording VA's is a concern. I suspect will still get new stuff it just may be delayed or paired down

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Reading up on some US productions even if studios switch to work from home which I imagine most are doing it can still create delays plus recording VA's is a concern. I suspect will still get new stuff it just may be delayed or paired down

A lot of VA's in the US have home recording setups just so they don't have to travel, so they're not quite as screwed as you might think in that regard.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Maybe we'll get a season of anime where all the voice actors are the people with recording setups right where they live.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Adams posted:

Maybe we'll get a season of anime where all the voice actors are the people with recording setups right where they live.

Steven J Blum talks to Steven J Blum about how they'll defeat Steven J Blum with the power of friendship.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Steven J Blum talks to Steven J Blum about how they'll defeat Steven J Blum with the power of friendship.

this has almost certainly already happened before on accident

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Theres a bit in one of the new nanoha movies where nana mizuki fights nana mizuki while a nana mizuki song plays

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

One of those ProZD skits where he takes the piss out of a JRPG but it's a full anime

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Endorph posted:

Theres a bit in one of the new nanoha movies where nana mizuki fights nana mizuki while a nana mizuki song plays

That had to be intentional though, there's no way you accidentally pit two characters against each other with accompanying background music by the same actress.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Spiritus Nox posted:

One of those ProZD skits where he takes the piss out of a JRPG but it's a full anime

I would legit play and watch The Dennis Saga.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

That had to be intentional though, there's no way you accidentally pit two characters against each other with accompanying background music by the same actress.

It was 100% intentional yes

Still amazed that Nanoha managed to flesh out and make actual characters of what were originally just palette swapped versions of the main cast in a PSP game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

still amazed that nanoha decided to make movie adaptations of the decade old psp games

still amazed said psp games were written by the wild arms/symphogear guy

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Episode 13 of railgun got pushed back a week.
https://mobile.twitter.com/toaru_project/status/1251215160229818368

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Still amazed that Nanoha managed to flesh out and make actual characters of what were originally just palette swapped versions of the main cast in a PSP game

It's the PSP games that did all of that though

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure past seasons have had anime in the can months before their final episodes aired. Gridman made a big announcement about being completely done in November, while the finale didn't air until December 23.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm pretty sure past seasons have had anime in the can months before their final episodes aired. Gridman made a big announcement about being completely done in November, while the finale didn't air until December 23.

It happens occasionally - the Bakarina anime is already finished right now, for instance, and I think Sing Yesterday To Me is also supposed to be close - but it's rare enough that unless you have firm evidence to the contrary you should assume any given show is coming down to the wire.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

jashin-chan is an example this season. fully done and available the second the season started

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, they just dumped the whole thing at the start of the season similar to how Netflix dropped all of Devilman Crybaby worldwide at once.

But as Spiritus Nox said, anime being fully completed before the show starts airing is rather rare, which makes sense given the timetables animation studios are usually under, especially if they are handling multiple productions.

One thing that really wouldn't surprise me is if this has a ripple effect where spring shows come back during summer, summer shows get pushed back to the fall or later, and some projects in the very early stages might get shelved all together.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Anime Dead, The 'Rona Wins

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Space Flower posted:

It's the PSP games that did all of that though

The Second one did, the first one they were just generic palette swaps. And the movies did change stuff too

Endorph posted:

still amazed that nanoha decided to make movie adaptations of the decade old psp games

still amazed said psp games were written by the wild arms/symphogear guy

Symphogear is very much more a Nanoha/Precure inspired than Madoka so this makes perfect sense

Too bad the games never made it to PS store so they could be played on the Vita

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'll be disappointed if Listeners doesn't make it out next week because judging from the preview they're fighting schoolgirl Kurt Cobain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Patware posted:

this has almost certainly already happened before on accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The part in Gundam Wing where Duo talks to like 4 other guys voiced by the same person as Duo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite nolan north moment is the time tri-ace paid him to voice a scene about jacking off in his mind thinking about a lady's huge titties

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H71UmCq3lWc

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Endorph posted:

There was a scene in Kancolle with 8 boats that was only 3 voice actors.

Sumire Uesaka: Fubuki
Nao Touyama: 4 Kongou-class sisters
Ayane Sakura: Nagato, Mutsu, Shimakaze

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
if kancolle had an ep that was just the mutsukis and ryuujou it'd be a god anime

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Problem: Voice actors can't record together because of covid
Solution: One voice actor does every character

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Problem: Voice actors can't record together because of covid
Solution: One voice actor does every character

I would watch that if it was Norio Wakamoto.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love how Kanbe just has his own Bat-Cave in Balance: Unlimited :allears:.