Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One of the major differences between the two shows are the villains. BB's villains are barely even people, and exist more as forces of nature. Tuco's one character trait was a total lack of impulse control, the terminator twins had zero personality beyond being terminators, and the nazis were about the only way to introduce worse people after all the cartels had been killed off. Todd got a bit of spotlight, but it sure as hell did not serve to make him human. Outside of Gus, none of them were in any way tragic characters, and for Gus it amounted to one flashback leading directly to his getting revenge on everyone who hurt him.

Compare BCS, where Hamlin was initially set up as Jimmy's spiteful enemy, before showing that he had a complex relationship with the McGill brothers. Chuck was a deeply flawed character, but in a very human way. Jimmy has felt threatened by Nacho every time he's around, but Nacho also has his own poo poo going on. Gus is the odd one out, because we know he'll live to be the top dog in Breaking Bad, we know his amiable persona is a front, and nothing about him makes him a character whose struggles and motivations we should care about, as we've already heard the Max story.

All my least favorite parts of Better Call Saul are the scenes dealing with BB villains. Tuco in the first two episodes, the terminator twins, and a lot of Gus stuff, especially the scene where he brags to a comatose Hector about torturing helpless animals who dared to eat his fruit. Arguably, Lalo is also a Breaking Bad villain who is a bad fit for Jimmy's story, but we don't know his final fate, and also Lalo is amazing.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is I don't really give a poo poo about anything Gus does because unlike Jimmy or even Mike he has no more path to walk to become the person we meet in Breaking Bad. Something like abusing Lyle by going full Terminator intimidation is only interesting if it comes back to bite him in some way so he learns to Not Do That. Instead, Lyle just takes it at face value that his affable friendly boss who's living the American Dream is really loving upset about this goddamn fryer. It makes Gus seem... inhuman, almost. Which is dumb, because this a show about humans.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
On that, I'll disagree. The fryer scene is by far the most human side of Gus we see, because he's reacting to a stressful situation outside of his control, by lashing out and asserting control over an innocent bystander. He's definitively not a Machiavellian terminator or a fake-affable entrepeneur for that one scene.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

On that, I'll disagree. The fryer scene is by far the most human side of Gus we see, because he's reacting to a stressful situation outside of his control, by lashing out and asserting control over an innocent bystander. He's definitively not a terminator or a fake-affable entrepeneur for that one scene.

No, I mean that he goes Full Intimidation on Lyle and it's weird to me that Lyle kind of just goes with it and doesn't seem all that surprised by it, which to me lessens the humanity of the moment. Honestly, the scene gave me the impression that this is the kind of boss that Gus is behind closed doors, instead of betraying a vulnerability.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 18, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lyle clearly looks up to Gus (kinda like Gale did, and to some extent Walter White for a time). I don't think it's that unrealistic for someone to want to please a person they admire and maybe ignore how irrational their request is. In fact that also seems.. human

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If there's any potential for another spinoff series, it's 100% a supervillain Lalo series.

I’d watch Lalo commit various jumping related crimes for at least 5 seasons

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The terminator twins are the worst part of this whole universe, I wish they had kept them out of BCS because they're just really not interesting characters.

Edit: what if like... total badasses... but twins!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

prom candy posted:

The terminator twins are the worst part of this whole universe, I wish they had kept them out of BCS because they're just really not interesting characters.

Edit: what if like... total badasses... but twins!

The twins are kind of lame and out of place, and tuco was a very one-note character, but their inclusion actually provides a pretty serious benefit to this show. Not because they actually do anything interesting or particularly relevant, but specifically because of the way that their presence enhances the effect of Lalo. The most prominent trait of the Salamancas is that they are prone to insane outbursts of extreme violence. This is basically all that the Twins do whenever they show up, which is why they're kind of lame. Tuco's thing was shifting suddenly from being amiably dumb to violent rage instantaneously, which made him useful for a couple of specific scenes but really not particularly interesting. Lalo... mostly just acts like a friendly dude. He killed that one guy off-screen, and he has his story about Hector's bell or whatever, but we've never actually seen him in that mode.We've seen him get briefly serious or annoyed about things, but that's all. Then we have the scene from the last episode, which was a hell of a scene. But I think that, for that scene to be as good as it was, the twins and Tuco were necessarily evils. We haven't seen Lalo commit extreme violence onscreen, but we've seen his cousins do plenty. The audience knows that that's what he's capable of, underneath his friendly exterior. Without that, it would have been tense, definitely, but not to the same level.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Lyle clearly looks up to Gus (kinda like Gale did, and to some extent Walter White for a time). I don't think it's that unrealistic for someone to want to please a person they admire and maybe ignore how irrational their request is. In fact that also seems.. human

I got the impression he felt Gus wasn't so much mad at him as deeply disappointed and he wanted to fix things.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i know this is the BCS thread, not the Mr. Show thread, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxMS59sxwxs

:3:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 18, 2020

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I went to check out the podcast for the show and went to about a dozen different podcast sites and could not get the drat thing to play. Do they all link to the same master source or something? I could get other podcasts to load, just never the Better Call Saul insider podcast. It's nuts there's no mirrors out there.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Try a different browser or something? First result played for me

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/better-call-saul-insider-podcast/id966297954

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The idea that a kindly wage slave like Lyle would work his rear end off to satisfy his boss's neurotics is about the most true-to-life thing to happen in the Breaking Bad universe.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Vegetable posted:

The idea that a kindly wage slave like Lyle would work his rear end off to satisfy his boss's neurotics is about the most true-to-life thing to happen in the Breaking Bad universe.

until the end of this sentence I thought I clicked on the achewood thread and I was like 'whaaaat lyle pours half-empty table drinks into bags hidden in plants, he is not here to satisfy neurotics'

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Peanut Butler posted:

'whaaaat lyle pours half-empty table drinks into bags hidden in plants, he is not here to satisfy neurotics'

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Everything else we've seen of Gus as the chicken restaurant manager suggests that he's actually a pretty great dude to work for, as long as you actually work. I doubt that kid has ever seen him get more than moderately, but politely, disappointed. It's extremely reasonable that a teenager at his first job, working for the nicest human being to ever run a fast food restaurant, just utterly believes that if Mr. Fring is angry, he has hosed up badly and must fix it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think that Lyle does suspect that something isn't quite right about Gus and his restaurants.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

This is acceptable.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My headcanon involves lyle playing a small but pivotal role in getting gus killed

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's another tedious callback. Lyle in BCS is actually supposed to be the younger version of "Spooge" from BB 2x6, "Peekaboo".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Milo and POTUS posted:

My headcanon involves lyle playing a small but pivotal role in getting gus killed

Lyle goes to work at the old folks home. After Walter sets up the explosive, Hector actually ends up dropping the bell on the ground before Gus arrives.

"Let me get that for you, Mr Salamanca..."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vegetable posted:

Either you're employing weapons grade sarcasm or you've never worked in a fast food place

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The season finale is going to be 1 hour and 25 minutes with commercials and 1 hour without, since someone here asked

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

precision posted:

Either you're employing weapons grade sarcasm or you've never worked in a fast food place

I’ve worked in fast food and definitely can confirm it. They really indoctrinate kids when they work, combined with the manager being somewhat of an authority figure (especially if they are a “proper” adult not just like a 19 year old supervisor)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Lyle actually becomes the third pollo hermano and continues running the franchise legitimately after Gus dies, breaking ties with Madrigal and coming up with a new batter recipe that is 99% pure.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Lyle nervously frying up chicken in a dirty warehouse full of guys with assault rifles, a tiny piece of the chicken is put in a complicated analyzer that beeps and boops and counts up to 96% and everyone cheers

"You're staying. You belong to KFC now!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nep-Nep posted:

Lyle actually becomes the third pollo hermano and continues running the franchise legitimately after Gus dies, breaking ties with Madrigal and coming up with a new batter recipe that is 99% pure.

What's the 1%? :tinfoil:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's always spiders.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

stev posted:

What's the 1%? :tinfoil:

Basically ketchup

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chili P

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

Lyle is the kind of guy who'd be managing that same branch in 15 years time, making the lives of the employees miserable.

"When I started here I scrubbed that fryer until I bled. Can I expect the same level of commitment from you?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

No, that might improve it. It needs to be something useless as far as breading goes.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Feel like a lot of people are forgetting when a bunch of cartel guys took Lyle and the other employees hostage until Gus made them leave just by talking. That kinda thing engenders a lot of loyalty.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah all other evidence is that Gus is an extremely chill boss. He barely even reacted to any of Hector's antagonization in his office, some seventeen year old missing a spot scrubbing has no chance of raising any amount of his ire. Him being angry at an employee is probably unheard of, that kid probably REALLY LIKES mr. fring and genuinely assumes the anger is justified somehow, to the extent that he can think about it in the moment when Gus goes full drug lord at him

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
In BB 5x12, Saul is looking at the gash in his nose that Jesse gave him the episode before. He comments to Kuby: "I should've never let my dojo membership expire."

If Jimmy doesn't spend the finale taking karate lessons to protect himself from the cartel I'm going to flip my poo poo :colbert:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My season finale wish is for it to end with Kim coming up with "Better Call Saul!" and Jimmy just bein' loving floored at how lucky he is.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

next episode cold open is gonna be kim buying a gun

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

Basically ketchup

Franch.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

next episode cold open is gonna be kim buying a gun

Powder actuated nail gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

prom candy posted:

Powder actuated nail gun

Is that the one from The Wire?