Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The closest thing was probably Moolah. No one except the McMahons were overly bothered at Moolah dying, and their attempts to honor her posthumously were largely poo poo upon until they stopped trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a lot more difficult to think of people in the business who died and no other people in the business cared than it is to just think about the public at large. a number of people were very mad that the moolah memorial thing was nixed even though thankfully her public image seems to trend closer toward reality. part of the problem is that there have always been so many bad people around wrestling and they do tend to stick together. tons of people were gutted that dynamite died

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 18, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dynamite Kid might actually be the best modern-day example. He burned every bridge under the sun and hurt a ton of people along the way, but when he died everyone ignored that baggage to celebrate his influence on the business, including people he hurt.

"Don't speak ill of the dead" is a toxic mindset that inflicts every industry and leads people to whitewash everything. If you think this is limited to wrestling, just wait until Woody Allen finally croaks.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 18, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how the gently caress did i miss Dynamite dying? :wtc:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s on every Wednesday on TNT

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Seams posted:

It’s on every Wednesday on TNT

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I seem to recall Ludwig Borga getting that sort of treatment?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ludwig Borga AKA Tony Halme was a bully and a giant steaming piece of racist, homophobic, criminal poo poo, even moreso outside of pro wrestling. Only morons would have mourned him (and they did, unfortunately)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

Ludwig Borga AKA Tony Halme was a bully and a giant steaming piece of racist, homophobic, criminal poo poo, even moreso outside of pro wrestling. Only morons would have mourned him (and they did, unfortunately)

Yeah gently caress that fascist

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Would New Jack be remembered fondly?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
As long as IWC smarkdom exists and the echoes of "E-C-DUB" induce in them a warm nostalgia, there will be marks for New Jack

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Does the Louie Spicolli/Larry Zybyzko thing count?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

An all time great dumb wrestling thing.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Randaconda posted:

how the gently caress did i miss Dynamite dying? :wtc:

Same, I thought he was still a border line vegetable.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I’m not recalling what this is, can someone help me out?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nystral posted:

I’m not recalling what this is, can someone help me out?

Pretty sure it goes: when Louie died, Larry said (on TV) that he didn't want to comment out of respect for Louie's family - he did so because they were feuding at the time and didn't want to break character to mourn him.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Which G1 do you all like the best? Have quite a bit of time to kill over the next few months

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

purkey posted:

Which G1 do you all like the best? Have quite a bit of time to kill over the next few months

I haven't watched any from before 27 myself yet (still a new-ish fan relatively speaking, it's one of those "i'll get around to it eventually" kind of things) but common sentiment seems to be you kinda can't go wrong with any from the last 6-7 years. 24 has an extra 2 guys in each block compared to the usual so I've heard it's kind of a slog at points and 28 was weirdly lopsided where half of A-Block was filler like Yoshi-Hashi and Makabe while B-Block was almost 100% killer matchups. 26 or 27 will probably be the most common recommendation for the modern G1s, but I'm sure there are some people who'd be able to point at which of the older ones are worth watching.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah 27 is considered the modern-day gold standard, but pretty much all the recent ones are great in their own way

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
A year or two ago someone posted a link to a Japanese women's match in which one of the competitors was dressed in a crab costume and doing a bunch of crab-based comedy spots. Does anyone remember what this was or have a link to it? Googling "japanese women's wrestling crab costume" has not produced helpful results.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Claytor posted:

A year or two ago someone posted a link to a Japanese women's match in which one of the competitors was dressed in a crab costume and doing a bunch of crab-based comedy spots. Does anyone remember what this was or have a link to it? Googling "japanese women's wrestling crab costume" has not produced helpful results.

Are you sure it was a women's match? Because this was Gran Naniwa's whole gimmick.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Claytor posted:

That was Sakura Hirota

Looks like the match was Sakura Hirota and Hikaru Shida vs.Yumi Ohka and Mika Iida but it may be hard to find with the WAVE Network being taken down. They're uploading a lot of their back archive to YouTube right now so maybe it will show up. Here's a YouTube tribute video anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfUvD3AHMUc

drat you literally asked on the 5 year anniversary of this match.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 19, 2020

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

That was Sakura Hirota

Looks like the match was Sakura Hirota and Hikaru Shida vs.Yumi Ohka and Mika Iida but it may be hard to find with the WAVE Network being taken down. They're uploading a lot of their back archive to YouTube right now so maybe it will show up. Here's a YouTube tribute video anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfUvD3AHMUc

drat you literally asked on the 5 year anniversary of this match.

Thank you!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What would have a WCW Brawl For All have looked like and who would have been in it?

Jerry Flynn, Meng, Saturn?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For the random midcarder that beats everybody's rear end *rolls dice* Sickboy

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what year? i feel like tank abbot would have ended someone's career in the first round and get wcw sued, then somehow manage to lose in the second

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jerry Flynn is the only one who matters

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Would Norman Smiley have been in the WCWBFA

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Would nose-biting be allowed?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cavauro posted:

what year? i feel like tank abbot would have shaved someone's beard in the first round and get wcw sued, then somehow manage to lose in the second

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I seem to recall Ludwig Borga getting that sort of treatment?

JR few weeks after his death:

quote:

Been reading a little about the death of Tony Halme aka Ludvig Borga and, including his concealed SS tattoo on his calf I won't speak at length about those that have passed away but Tony obviously had issues and was not a great guy to be around. Perhaps others have a different view of this man but I personally found him to be somewhat obnoxious and he could be a bully if allowed to be such. Guys like Halme don't mix well in any locker room and need to be removed from the "team" sooner than later. Nonetheless I still feel badly about the last years of Tony's life as things really unraveled for him seemingly due to alcohol and drug issues. When one competes with "demons" unfortunately the "demons" usually win unless one is personally and throughly committed to changing one's behavior. Wrestlers with problems of this nature either need to have the problem solved, which takes everyone's best efforts specifically the individual himself, or have the problem person needs to be eliminated from the equation. That might sound harsh but some folks would rather "catch a buzz" than do the right thing for themselves, their family and the company for which they work.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Would Finlay be a good fit for the WCW Brawl for All? He could almost die there instead of in that clusterfuck hardcore match!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
WCW would have worked some of the fights and had Asya win the whole thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Regarding Halme, it's hard to launder someone's reputation when they ran for public office as a Neo-Nazi. With Moolah, I think they figured out that they couldn't do some big celebration of her life and career without journalists dredging up all the awful poo poo she did. The only people who would give a gently caress about Moolah are serious fans who are online enough to know about it.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What would have a WCW Brawl For All have looked like and who would have been in it?

If the Brawl for All taught us anything, it's that guys who had a reputation for being tough bar fighters and guys who'd been athletes when they were younger were not necessarily much good in a shootfight. Everyone thought Dr. Death was going to win it, then he tore his hamstring just circling around and got his clock cleaned. You never know what age and injury has done to people who haven't been competing for years.

Tank was washed up as a MMA fighter before he went to WCW, but WCW didn't have a lot of shooters. I'm sure Bret wouldn't have done it. The Steiners were great wrestlers and had a scary reputation, but again, age and injury. Buff had done some boxing but I can't see him being dumb enough to go in for it. Maybe some of the younger or less prominent guys with wrestling or fighting experience, like Glacier and Lash.

Knowing WCW, they would have let anyone compete and encouraged the wrong people for stupid reasons. It would have been even worse than WWE's, with a bunch of untrained bodybuilders giving each other career-ending injuries. And they'd do it for a $0 gate at Road Wild, and the savings on contracts would be the first time Road Wild turned a profit.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Honestly, given the person Bischoff was, if WCW did a Brawl For All I'd expect to be a karate tournament with all the random karate guys he kept bringing in. Like everyone else said, WCW wasn't really known for it's collection of lower-card brawlers who'd join something like Brawl For All. What it did have is a lot of karate guys and a decent amount of small scrappy guys who think they could take the average karate guy in a fight.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I could see Regal ending up in a WCW Brawl For All as well, just because he had a reputation as a proper 'rassler and because was messed up on drugs at the time, so it would be easier to fool him into it.

EDIT: And much like the guys who ended up in the actual BFA, it's not like he had anything else to do!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WCW chosen winner: Scott Norton.
Actual winner: Van Hammer or Finlay.

Celebrity boxer who humiliates the winner: also Butterbean but he's paid more.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The funniest thing is Butterbean was totally willing to do a worked match and put Gunn over, but WWE decided it had to be a shoot for some reason.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I forgot to add: It would be very bad optics for WCW to do a quasi-MMA tournament with Goldberg mysteriously absent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

gently caress if it had been WCW Butterbean actually would have got the long-term contract he thought the WWF were giving him