Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

It was Andre the Giant as Giant Machine. Although why *he* was there is anyone's guess

The game is a reskin of a Japanese wrestling game, a lot of the finishers are applied to people because of that. Ric Flair's finish is a running seated clothesline because he's a reskin of Giant Baba. Lex Luger finishes with an Octopus Hold because he's Inoki.

The funniest is that because Kevin Sullivan is a reskinned Tenryu he's got lots of cool kicks and his finish is a folding powerbomb.

All the corresponding counterparts are listed here https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/WCW_Wrestling

I had the game. WCW Master was goddamned hard if you didn't have a running wheel kick or drop kick.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I don't think Nash got the book until '99.

I've been saying this for almost two decades now, but WWE has boring twenty-minute promos to start every Raw where they explain the angles to the audience, and people interrupt other people, and everybody stands around letting other people talk poo poo about them without doing anything about it. I'm being a bit too colorful here, because my only real point is that the promos are so loving loooooooong. Imagine if that segment was two-or-three matches, and the announcers talk up the big angles.

I'd rather have the matches.

I believe Nash became head booker in February of 99. Did Bischoff check out after that? To an extent, definitely. He still had a lot of insane ideas to try to get back to #1, but he was less involved than he was at the peak. But in mid 98 the loving guy was so into beating Vince that he was out there challenging him to shoot fights on PPV. He wasn't looking for a way out then.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Scott Steiner transitioning into the Big Bad Booty Daddy gimmick without having the titanic muscles, chain mail, and blond hair and goatee combo is really weird to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfv0GxRR0IE

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Steiner Brothers should've been a bigger deal as a tag team and Scott Steiner should've ended Goldberg's streak.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Steiner Brothers should've been a bigger deal as a tag team and Scott Steiner should've ended Goldberg's streak.

The Steiners were THE WCW tag team during the early NWO days and had excellent runs in the WWF, and AFAIK Japan. They were a pretty big deal all things considered.

Scott’s heel turn after coming back from injury was legit shocking.

And I agree that Scott should have ended the streak

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

The Steiners were THE WCW tag team during the early NWO days and had excellent runs in the WWF, and AFAIK Japan. They were a pretty big deal all things considered.

Scott’s heel turn after coming back from injury was legit shocking.

And I agree that Scott should have ended the streak

They didn't really do much in the WWF but they were a big deal in Japan. Probably where they were the biggest stars as a team?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

overmind2000 posted:

Scott Steiner transitioning into the Big Bad Booty Daddy gimmick without having the titanic muscles, chain mail, and blond hair and goatee combo is really weird to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfv0GxRR0IE

The crazier thing for me was when I was watching a Steiner Screwdriver comp on Youtube and Steiner yells 'THIS IS FOR YOU' to Randy Savage in the announce booth and you realize 'no he wasn't doing a voice, that's just what he sounds like'

Also; I remember in 94ish when WCW had this huge international tag tournament that mostly existed to set up a dream match between The Steiners and Gordy/Williams. The Steiners were about as big a deal as you could be as a tag team in the US at the time.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 19, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Gordy/Williams

excuse you

the Miracle Violence Connection

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

There really should have been more Buff Bagwell product endorsements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br4vMhgaBjY

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 22, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Patty Smyth's "The Warrior" is on the radio and I can't hear that song without thinking of Beau James now. Thanks MRT, you've changed my life.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

as I get older I really appreciate Buff's Swingin Uncle(divorce 3x) energy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

as I get older I really appreciate Buff's Swingin Uncle(divorce 3x) energy.

Buff in his prime would probably be the hottest heel in the WWE today, if they let him just be as douchey as he can.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Randaconda posted:

Buff in his prime would probably be the hottest heel in the WWE today, if they let him just be as douchey as he can.

to this day, despite understanding all the mitigating factors, I can't believe that Vince looked at Buff Bagwell and didn't see a giant bag of money superimposed over Buff.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

to this day, despite understanding all the mitigating factors, I can't believe that Vince looked at Buff Bagwell and didn't see a giant bag of money superimposed over Buff.

and that's like the 50th worst thing Vince did during the Invasion

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Hi sorry to pop in all random like, but just wanted to say that I'm watching WCW starting from Starrcade 1996, and I really, really like Bobby the Brain's color commentary. Also Dusty Rhodes' has so many funny one liners, I feel like I have to write them all down.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

excellent bird guy posted:

Hi sorry to pop in all random like, but just wanted to say that I'm watching WCW starting from Starrcade 1996, and I really, really like Bobby the Brain's color commentary. Also Dusty Rhodes' has so many funny one liners, I feel like I have to write them all down.

Bobby is generally a highlight of the show commentary wise and that's saying something as the years keep going and it becomes increasingly clear he's loving wasted and tap dancing around Tony, Mike, or Scott.

its a real shame that he wasn't renewed because the company was running out of money and promoted Mark Madden to fill the role

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

coconono posted:

I'm going to headcanon that Buff made Vince feel ashamed about never shooting his stepfather. (There is a very good chance this isn't headcanon).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm going to headcanon that Buff made Vince feel ashamed about never shooting his stepfather. (There is a very good chance this isn't headcanon).

:same:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Bobby is generally a highlight of the show commentary wise and that's saying something as the years keep going and it becomes increasingly clear he's loving wasted and tap dancing around Tony, Mike, or Scott.

its a real shame that he wasn't renewed because the company was running out of money and promoted Mark Madden to fill the role

There were WCW shows where like 2 hours in it was clear Bobby and Dusty were both completely wasted adn you could hear Tony slipping into his depression.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah, not that it hard to tell, but Brain confirmed a few different times he was completely phoning it in towards the end of his run.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pineapple Pete is bad

https://twitter.com/SugarDunkerton/status/1253351675273924609

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ok so .. because it was brought up in some Meltzer discussion on twitter here is a nice little gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ih_V2VM3Y

Ric Flair vs George South on NWA TV on November 12th, 1988. There is a bit of backstory to this.

George South posted:

When you got to TV, you found out who would actually work, Ric was scheduled to work for the first time in awhile, but he really didn't want to. He had just gotten in from Pittsburgh after being up all night and he had to catch an early plane to Ohio after the taping. That studio was so cold and he didn't want to work and then have to shower and have that wet hair and rush to the airport.
He and Dusty sort of got into it right there in front of everyone, and Dusty told him he was going to have to wrestle, so Ric threw his bag on a chair and said, 'Well then I want South.'
Ric started calling all these spots," and I was going a hundred miles an hour. I was having the time of my life, but I was rushing. I got so blowed up in there, I was really hurting."
Back in those days, he called it in the ring. I didn't know anything. And I didn't know if we were going 2 minutes or 20 minutes. I was just going so fast. Ric did this every night, but I didn't!
Honestly, I think he was doing it just to tick Dusty off, He laughed as he thought back on it. He was so annoyed with Dusty, I think he would have let me win the NWA belt just to get back at him.

quote:

"You know who was actually the best worker back then, was George South .... I got in the ring with him one time and I said, 'Buddy, today you're Ricky Steamboat'. And we tore it down." - Ric Flair, WOOOO! Nation, December 9, 2015

"Dusty was hollering at me 'What are you doing?' and I said, you know, I'm not gong to beat a guy like George South in one minute. Sorry." - Ric Flair, WOOOO! Nation, December 9, 2015

This match went LONG and Ric had him working through TWO ad breaks and this match was in the middle of the show too. Entirely out of the ordinary for a TV match in those days.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

MrBling posted:

Ric Flair vs George South on NWA TV on November 12th, 1988. There is a bit of backstory to this.
This match went LONG and Ric had him working through TWO ad breaks and this match was in the middle of the show too. Entirely out of the ordinary for a TV match in those days.

I think it's funny that people in the AEW thread were mad Kenny Omega didn't just squash his jobber and here's Ric Flair giving a jobber he respected as a worker a bit of shine.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was fun hearing JR and Schiavone be totally befuddled that this random jobber was kicking Flair's rear end

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Saucer Crab posted:

I think it's funny that people in the AEW thread were mad Kenny Omega didn't just squash his jobber and here's Ric Flair giving a jobber he respected as a worker a bit of shine.
omega and flair were also both undersized top faces in their time, where they relied more on their skill to win, as opposed to the overwhelming power of a wardlow or brodie

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think the Kenny Omega/Ric Flair comparisons are very apt.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBling posted:

Ok so .. because it was brought up in some Meltzer discussion on twitter here is a nice little gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ih_V2VM3Y

this is rad as hell

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I like the part where JJ Dillon is just standing in front of the camera they're using, giving no fucks.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Even with them being confused at first, they immediately got into it by saying "well he's got a shot at the world champ, of course he's going to be fired up and giving it his all."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
With that mullet and that wrestling style, he could've called himself Mister South and had a good run as the redneck incarnate gimmick. But alas, his devotion to Jesus kept him humble. Blessed are the job guys, for they shall inherit the hot dogs and handshakes.

edit: You've heard of Beyond The Mat. Behold: WITHOUT THE MAT!

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 26, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the Kiss That Don't Miss is the only punch finisher I've ever liked, because of the incredible name.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/QuarterlyValuableEquestrian.mp4

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Randaconda posted:

I think the Kiss That Don't Miss is the only punch finisher I've ever liked, because of the incredible name.

I wish I knew how many dumbass hillbilly’s tried to fight Marc mero because they thought he was a sissy and got knocked out by a gold glove boxer because they couldn’t resist bullying someone.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Little Richard and Also He's a Boxer is a hell of a gimmick TBF.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh but seriously I posted:

Little Richard and Also He's a Boxer is a hell of a gimmick TBF.

way ahead of his time. Marc Mero would have done zillions in AEW.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Reminder: Heath Slater is also a gden gloves champion.

Although I guess he gets into less fights, because what sort of monster would want to hurt such an adorable man?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If only the Hulk Hogan enizguiri could have helped WCW step up the ratings

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

people told me for years that Hogan was good in Japan and when I finally watched the matches they're just every other Hogan match but with wrestling school-level mat wrestling and a few different moves

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Still not as good as Buff Bagwell's canadian destroyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

When people disparage the incredibly built 80s wrestlers who worked 330 days a year as lazy, I look at them askance