Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

It is still baffling to me though on some basic level.
You’d think that this much money and man hours eventually would produce a passably good space game, like the “Thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters” thought experiment.

There is nothing weird about it. If the management is incompetent no amount of money will produce a decent product. (because they'll actively sabotage everything)

Which is why, when you see something like SC taking place the first thing one should ask oneself is "who is in charge of this clownshow?" and, if it so happens that it is a clown, then there is no need to speculate further about what the gently caress is happening.

The big shot making the decisions matters. Like, I have been having a lot of fun reading nerd reactions to the ending of the FFVII remake. Like, motherfuckers, Nomura is directing, you don't get to be surprised when you get nomura'ed straight in the balls, surely a part of you knew what you were getting into.

Yes, those are his cats. There is a severe lack of belts and zippers but whatever

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/g1vOYRH.gifv

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

I won't lie, this last batch of unhappy commandos has caused me to rub so hard I accidently started a fire.

:iiasb: Remember, fellow goon: only you can prevent a rubbing fire :crobear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

It is still baffling to me though on some basic level.
You’d think that this much money and man hours eventually would produce a passably good space game, like the “Thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters” thought experiment.

Well, that experiment doesn't include bears, now does it?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bofast posted:

:iiasb: Remember, fellow goon: only you can prevent a rubbing fire :crobear:

it is a
smokey bear

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Oh god I’m such a simple soul, but I’m loving the bonfire

The sub is a lot more personable when they’re embracing sarcasm, and channelling 8 years of missteps...

There’s plenty of refundian zeal pouring in for sure, but stalwart regulars are definitely in the mix too

And yet, for some reason, amongst the cascading chains of flame, this is my favourite thing so far...

quote:

The cart is still well before the horse haha. I don’t think the horse is born yet.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 18, 2020

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Incidentally, has anyone posted this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRxaqbcVn0

About how a real game that exists from a studio that knows what it's doing designed a game and released it?

The game might be average or you might think it's great, but that's not really the point - this is some great insight into how, in the words of the SC backer, "the sausage is made".

Obsidian Entertainment is everything CIG is not. OE is (was) a middle size indie company doing mercenary work for years on whatever IP they could get from a publisher and the managed to scrape by for a more than a decade IIRC correctly, even throw the Recession. They published KOTOR 2, NWN2 + expansions, Dungeon Siege 3, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, Armored Warfare, and South Park: The Stick of Truth. OE fell on hard times after some big projects got cancelled post Recession and almost closed...since they were having trouble finding a publisher they turned to Kickstarter and funded Pillars of Eternity, to critical and commercial acclaim. I threw cash in the pot when they Kickstarter'd the sequel, PoE2, and was extremely happen with the result - I have hundreds of hours in the game for my 60 bucks I threw in. OE was able to use its success with PoE to leverage a deal with Versus Evil to make Tyranny, which they released to acclaim but middling sales, and another deal with Private Division with Outer Worlds, which was a critical and commercial hit. Eventually OE got bought by Microsoft, though OE was allowed to keep ownership of the PoE and TOW IPs. The core group from OE go all the way back to Black Isle Studios at Interplay and Troika and have a history in the Baldur's Gate, Fallout (the first and second ones), Icewind Dale, Arcanum, and Vampire: Bloodlines. After surviving the hardscrabble Indie life and being burned by loaded contracts and cancelled projects OE has learned what it means to tighten the belt and get a game released.

I wish all the SC backers talking about how unprecedentedly transparent CIG is could have been a OE backer following the progress of the PoE games. That was impressive. In comparison CIG is as transparent as the black waters of the Houston Ship Channel. I think since CIG Kickstarter'd SC OE has released 4? games.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 18, 2020

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

I'm a guy, but I confess all I'm seeing is a broken spine and a desire to call for a medic. Yuck. May be my experience in the first responder industry speaking. Somebody get a c-spine brace and gurney, stat!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

The number of Citizens in the roadmap thread who are begging for CIG to "Just call 2020 a loss and go ahead and move your release dates forward by a year" is hilarious. It's 4 months into the year. Also, how would that solve a single goddamn thing? But it's all they know, at this point. As long as delivery is a year or more away, things can't be going badly! :)

If you never have expectations, you can never miss them.

If you never deliver something, you can never be late.

They want to protect themselves from the inevitable. It's mostly sad. It's like people who never go to the doctor because if they don't know they have a problem, they don't have a problem.

Spending yourself from reality and facts isn't always good.

Especially for a stupid loving video game for kids. Just stop supporting it guys!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah, its normal to use version numbers less than 1.

But its important for SC to have bigger version numbers than ED! That way everyone knows its better than ED.

Also CR said with 3.0 the game is effectively released anyway so we can think of it as a released product... except when it faces criticism, then ITS ALPHA!

I'm sure there's also some quasi-legal reasoning for that for the future class action lawsuit where they can do some revisions of history.

:trustme: Er Uh yah. Yeah. It's version Um.. higher than 1.0. When we released it years so as 1.0. Everything since... it's just patches on the finished... uh product. Um yeah. It's been out there, delivered as we said it would be yah. You got the full experience. No take backs!

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: Make Elevators Great Again!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

I'm not sure, but I'm starting to get the feeling that this project may not be being managed that well.

I could be wrong.

You forgot to mention how dedicated you are, how much money you spent, when you bought in, and how you love to suckle on CR's sweet, sweet balls while he spits in your eye and you make money rain on him like the most expensive stripper in the world.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

That blokes CTO waffle reminded me of a saying I like.

"Just because a person has been doing a job for 20 years doesn't mean they are good at it.
It just means that they have been doing a job for 20 years.
It is the quality of their output as judged by others that decides if they are good at their job"

Chris Roberts isn't good at his job.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Hav posted:

Citizens! Rise up!

I'd be careful where you say that.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
[6 years after the game was supposed to be released]: guys im starting to lose faith

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Rexzilla loved Star Citizen so very, very much. It was a sincere love, a true love. He was ready to spend it all. And now he's gone. So sad. What could possibly have happened? Someone should ask him.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Grubby Hobo posted:

Rexzilla loved Star Citizen so very, very much. It was a sincere love, a true love. He was ready to spend it all. And now he's gone. So sad. What could possibly have happened? Someone should ask him.

It's almost funny how right you have it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

K8.0 posted:

HOW? HOW are they still deluding themselves into saying this? It was one thing a few years ago when they were still inside the development cycle time of some long games, and you could (foolishly) argue that Star Citizen MIIIIGHT be one of those games that's a disaster through development but comes together right at the end, but now? This is actually sad.

One thing they always fail to address is that its not 8 years to develop the game. Its 8 years to develop what exists right now, which is till many years away from release.

We can look at it and see that its not 8 years in devleopment in total, its going to be well over 10... for a minimum viable product, not the magnum opus that exists in their heads.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

The game is gorgeous, but that's just the window dressing. The game's real purpose is to showcase Microsoft's AI research and global weather and terrain satellite mapping shenanigans. Basically MFS 2020 is Skynet 1.0.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Some of the comments defending CIG are really amazing. They are using Agile as an excuse for nothing getting delivered in line with the roadmap, as though by using agile you naturally fail all your targets.

No you fuckwits, this is not how agile works. Agile does not excuse you from cutting features every release. You absoloutely can publish a roadmap using Agile and hit most of your targets if your estimates are half decent.

If your estimates are a bit poor, ok, you'll miss some items but perhaps finish others early.

The only way you will consistently fail to hit targets is if you are consistently underestimating everything.

This should not be happening any more, since CIG, especially Erin, said they were going to stop being so aggressive with estimating tasks. It appears that is a load of rubbish.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
You know, all this talk about the roadmap falls right into CIG's hands. "Look, they missed a target! Look, item A slipped a release! Look, item B is missing! LOL @ everything"

The roadmap doesn't matter because CIG is not making a game. The "roadmap" is a complete loving fabrication that serves one purpose: to create a battleground to contain the argument where it's most advantageous to CIG. The fact that it's yet another cargo-cult trapping of game development is secondary. The very act of addressing the roadmap implies that we're taking CIG and their published goals at their word.

Where was Theater of War on the "roadmap?" Or a million other things missing or added? CIG, behind the scenes, does what it wants, when it wants, and what it does with regard to building a game is very little, if anything at all. The roadmap is the brainchild of one or two guys at CIG and has no true bearing on the state of the project beyond a weekly email "what are you working on, when will it get done" and hundreds of moronic talentless employees fire back whatever bullshit sounds good that day, then go to "work" and failing miserably at related, or completely unrelated, goals ... or whatever Chris spat and gurgled out that month.

It beggars belief that anyone pays attention to it at all. The loving funding tracker was a less obvious lie, yet gets deserved scrutiny. But even detractors point to the roadmap as evidence of something. It's a loving red herring.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Didnt Derek have a game that was more or less called Theater of War? Or something pretty similar.

Anyway, I've been out of the loop for well over a year now. Was citizencon great this year? And reading back a couple of pages it seems that some posts said that Chris and Sandi haven't been seen in a while, did something happen? Did they finally take the money and run?

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

K8.0 posted:

HOW? HOW are they still deluding themselves into saying this? It was one thing a few years ago when they were still inside the development cycle time of some long games, and you could (foolishly) argue that Star Citizen MIIIIGHT be one of those games that's a disaster through development but comes together right at the end, but now? This is actually sad.

SC is supposed to be a MMO right? So what I want to know how backers keep rationalizing the "8+years two AAA games build a studio from the ground up" shtick. In 2007 EA bought Bioware and started a new studio in Austin, Texas to make the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic. In late 2011, about four years and 200 odd million dollars later, SWTOR released as an actual mostly competent MMO. Meanwhile, SC is not even currently even the same time lime of being a released game. The fricken roadmap has elevator buttons listed as an important upcoming feature! Didn't vanilla WoW take four or five years of development? Come on!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

SC is supposed to be a MMO right? So what I want to know how backers keep rationalizing the "8+years two AAA games build a studio from the ground up" shtick. In 2007 EA bought Bioware and started a new studio in Austin, Texas to make the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic. In late 2011, about four years and 200 odd million dollars later, SWTOR released as an actual mostly competent MMO. Meanwhile, SC is not even currently even the same time lime of being a released game. The fricken roadmap has elevator buttons listed as an important upcoming feature! Didn't vanilla WoW take four or five years of development? Come on!

The delay is typically whitewashed with "it's ambitious" which is hilarious because the line between ambitious and loving pants-on-head stupid is based entirely on the vision and competence of the person making the attempt. I'll leave it as a mystery which heading this falls under.

Hint: :iiasb:

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 19, 2020

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Robert_Space+Dreams*((Dunning*Kruger)+Sunk/Cost)=Store_Citizer

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

his nibs posted:

Star Citizer: They could not even program boobs (60065)

What is this FUD?!

it's 80085

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Scruffpuff posted:

The delay is typically whitewashed with "it's ambitious" which is hilarious because the line between ambitious and loving pants-on-head stupid is based entirely on the vision and competence of the person making the attempt. I'll leave it as a mystery which heading this falls under.

Hint: :iiasb:

That doesn't make any sense though! Okay, most ambitious ever, whatever. If it WAS the most ambitious thing ever and it was on the path to meeting those ambitions then it should have surpassed or come close to surpassing those less ambitious games YEARS ago. Yet here it stands, a fraction of a shadow of any released MMO having already taken twice as long as other studios to make an MMO INCLUDING standing up a brand new studio from the ground up! You can spent 5 minutes in LOTRO/SWTOR/STO/WOW/ect and see there is a million more things in them than SC as it stands today.

I don't understand game development, but I understand pipelines a bit, and I hear that word used a lot in game management. You see, I have a degree in process technology (yeah, I got a process tech degree to be a first responder, whatever). There is quite the process to turn a barrel of dead dino into the plastic cup you used to drink that water 10 minutes ago. There's reacting and fracking, separating and distillating, flares and cooling towers, reactors and mixers, dryers and heat exchangers, gas chromatography and flow meters, level indicators and thermometers, ball valves and diaphragm valves and relief valves, control rooms and laboratories and maintenance sheds, operators, managers, accounts, engineers, and welders, and literally countless thousands of other things. All of it has to be working together to make the chemicals to make the chemicals to make the chemical to make the chemicals. To use an analogy, CIG seems to be have been trying to figure out how to make a level indicator for a storage tank and failing. Getting started on the furnace is a far off pipe dream! Don't even dream about the steam turbine! And because CIG can't get their pipelines sorted out they can't make a game. If they could sort out their pipeline problems they would have done so by now. CIG is promising to make the greatest drat plastic cup ever, but other companies have many pretty dang good plastic cups themselves and the made those cops for half the cost and in the half the time CIG has spent on trying to make their plastic cup, and they don't even have a plastic cup prototype yet, they just have a picture of a cup scratched out on a napkin. But that doesn't stop them from promising that their cup will magically float to the fridge, fill up, and magically float over to your lips so you can take a sip without having to leave your IRL wankpod! And also take out the trash, spank the kids, make diner, wash the dishes, turn on the TV, walk the dog, and have intercourse with you! And CIG will make the cups out of carbon dioxide instead of dead dinos and reverse global warming! And people just throw money at them! I just scratch my head at how anyone could support this! Don't allegedly smart people such as lawyers and such support this game?

Well, that does bring to mind an article I read on Scientific American how intelligent people are the same as critically thinking people. Maybe that has something to do with it? Me, back during the Kickstarter era I didn't know who CR was and I didn't care, but I liked Freelancer and the Kickstarter kept hawking Freelancer so I checked it out, realized that CR named an in game company after himself, realized he was a narcissist, and I don't like narcissists, and so I haven't spent a penny on the game to this day. But 30 minutes of Googling is all it takes to realize this how project is a sham, yet people keep spending money on it! It boggles me!

The article, for anyone who wants to read it:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-smart-people-do-foolish-things/

Anyway, I was checking on the first page on the general SC forum on Spectrum, and I'm seeing thread titles such as

"Since the end of 2018 it has only been a series of lies and disappointments,"

"The 3.9 Roadmap when it was added last year. There is clearly something very wrong with the producers and project management,"

"Why waste time and $67,000 per week on current CIG communications?,"

"Is it time to change the patch number 4.0 to 3.10?,"

"Saturday Everning - Unable to play StarCitizen,"

"Elevator Panels = Gameplay?,"

"Plz CiG kill the roadmap,"

"Stop the SQ42,"

"4.0 EXTREME padding lol"

and so on. I was going to ask if this was normal after a road map delay, but I after reading the last few pages I guess not...Well, no scam lasts forever.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 19, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

and so on. I was going to ask if this was normal after a road map delay, but I after reading the last few pages I guess not...Well, no scam lasts forever.

We’ve been calling it’s demise for years, but it shambles on, undead. The thread has become a kind of Hotel California, or Flying Dutchman of the many, many reasons why publishers exist.

Fake Edit: Fig got acquired.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Human brain: get paid to release different games every year

Galaxy brain: get paid to release the same game every year

Crobbers brain: get paid to develop the same game every year

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I want to talk about HL: Alyx and I'm going to do it in here instead of the HL: Alyx thread so I'll do a bit of compare and contrast to make it relevant:

---

So I'm most of the way through Chapter 5 of HL:A now- going slowly, I know, but I only have a few hours per week where my wife and I are both together and not working on other stuff. And I refuse to play it alone, it makes me too nervous to have any fun. But that's not what I want to talk about.

What's really getting to me is how a well designed game can do so much with just a few assets. HL:A has, basically, three guns and three consumables. It only has maybe a dozen enemy varieties. Up through Ch. 5, the entire setting has been some variety of "Alien infested, overgrown Eastern European block housing city." It is less FPS and more survival horror, in a creeping, rising-tension sort of way. You'd think that creeping through crumbling tenements and fighting zombies would get boring after a couple of hours, but HL:A knows exactly when that boredom would begin to set in, and constantly stays one step ahead.

Looking at Star Citizen alone you'd think a game needs 500 weapons and 100 types of spaceship or NPC to be interesting. But it's just not the case. HL: A has wonderfully polished movement, levels that are a masterclass in how to direct player attention to the next objective, and well designed encounters that are almost always teaching the player some interesting new trick or adding a twist on existing enemy types. The amount of care and craft they've poured into the three guns you can use makes each one stand out far more than any generic Star Citizen pulse rifle. And just when you're bored of the pistol, you get the shotgun. Just when you're bored of them in combination, you start getting grenades. Every weapon builds on the last and instead of becoming the new thing you use all the time, becomes another tool for your arsenal.

It should feel like a drip-feed of content, but because it all flows so well it just comes across as fun. When you're not fighting you're enjoying the good story and great voice acting. When you're backtracking it's almost always an opportunity to explore for more power-ups. There's never really any downtime, never a moment where you don't know what you should be doing next. It also rewards good play- use of the environment or hauling extra equipment around almost always pays off in the next combat encounter over just charging straight in. I've probably only actually killed under 50 zombies and 20 or so combine so far- the encounters are sparse compared to HL1 or 2. But the tension of VR and the feeling of really being there makes it feel very real, unforgettably so. I constantly feel like I'm fighting for my life and it's amazing.

Playing HL:A is really underlining to me how far in the wrong direction CIG has gone. I don't know how much HL:A cost but it feels like a title that could have been done in a year or so with a good team. It doesn't feel cheap, it feels compact. Yet it's leagues more fun than anything CIG has ever produced. Valve very clearly studied the last few years of VR indie games and picked out the mechanics that worked and those that didn't. They polished their chosen gameplay mechanics to a mirror sheen and imagined every possible variant of encounter using that limited set of rules for player and npc. Then they populated the world, filled in the gaps with art and detail. They ran it past play testers and took that lived experience and integrated their observations back into the final product. And it works- it's a tightly crafted, well packed experience that keeps you engaged from start to finish. I personally wish it wasn't scary as poo poo survival-horror, but that's just my own taste coming out. It is absolutely the best thing in VR right now, and I guarantee it didn't take 1/10th of Squadron 42's resources to produce.

CIG may as well get those console deals rolling, because honestly PC gaming has left them far, far behind.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Hav posted:

We’ve been calling it’s demise for years, but it shambles on, undead. The thread has become a kind of Hotel California, or Flying Dutchman of the many, many reasons why publishers exist.

Fake Edit: Fig got acquired.

Maybe we are looking at the birth of a new religion here? Maybe in 200 years Mormon Space Game ex-Star Citizen will still have backers talking about the need to keep The Project alive in order to reach Space Game Mecca under the guidance of Chris Robert's great great great grandson?

If I had to guess, I'd guess that Star Citizen dies a slow and gradual death as it gets out competed and left behind the video game at large. It already looks like crap, runs like crap, and plays like crap, and the next generation is months away. Its a dog eat dog world in the free market. Imagine if Microsoft decided to open up its tech toolbox like it did with Flight Simulator 2020 to make a MMO with its Freelancer license? I imagine something like that happening. Eventually a game or games coming a long and making everyone forget about SC.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe we are looking at the birth of a new religion here? Maybe in 200 years Mormon Space Game ex-Star Citizen will still have backers talking about the need to keep The Project alive in order to reach Space Game Mecca under the guidance of Chris Robert's great great great grandson?
Yup, they should stop making any game development, it makes them look incompetent anyway. They should just promise new upcoming features and collect tithe from their backers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The thing is that the rationalizations are not earnest. Everybody knows the project is fubar but one thing is knowing it and another admitting so. Specially to oneself. Nobody wants to recognize that you have been bamboozled, so as long as the music keeps going, there is a chance this is not the case. Thus, the music must go on!

When you see someone arguing that its early days, or that they are building 2 games, that Diablo III took 10 years, that agile means planning is impossible, or that they had to build 4 studios they are not arguing in good faith.

So just fart in their general direction.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 19, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It really is a religion because it ticks all the most common boxes: the promises are vague, unknowable, always assuredly blissful, despite the fact that critical examination of them reveals that even the literal promised heaven seems kind of poo poo if you dare to peel back the layers. And leading you there is a person who people claim has charisma, but who is definitely creepy and gives you an uneasy feeling, leaving you wondering why so many people are following him, but you're scared to say anything because of the immense amount of abuse the other members will heap upon you at the first sign of disagreement.

I read an article about how a town infested with Scientology is "allowing" a non-scientologist somewhere on the town council or whatever, and they're all pissed that a "non-parishioner" is going to be allowed to vote on things. Even Christianity wouldn't have the balls to attempt that kind of coup, and I'd consider them a more historically established religion than Scientology, one of the world's most obvious cults that nevertheless managed to get the "religion" stamp of approval.

How hard could it be for Star Citizen to qualify at this point?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That doesn't make any sense though! Okay, most ambitious ever, whatever. If it WAS the most ambitious thing ever and it was on the path to meeting those ambitions then it should have surpassed or come close to surpassing those less ambitious games YEARS ago. Yet here it stands, a fraction of a shadow of any released MMO having already taken twice as long as other studios to make an MMO INCLUDING standing up a brand new studio from the ground up! You can spent 5 minutes in LOTRO/SWTOR/STO/WOW/ect and see there is a million more things in them than SC as it stands today.

I don't understand game development, but I understand pipelines a bit, and I hear that word used a lot in game management. You see, I have a degree in process technology (yeah, I got a process tech degree to be a first responder, whatever). There is quite the process to turn a barrel of dead dino into the plastic cup you used to drink that water 10 minutes ago. There's reacting and fracking, separating and distillating, flares and cooling towers, reactors and mixers, dryers and heat exchangers, gas chromatography and flow meters, level indicators and thermometers, ball valves and diaphragm valves and relief valves, control rooms and laboratories and maintenance sheds, operators, managers, accounts, engineers, and welders, and literally countless thousands of other things. All of it has to be working together to make the chemicals to make the chemicals to make the chemical to make the chemicals. To use an analogy, CIG seems to be have been trying to figure out how to make a level indicator for a storage tank and failing. Getting started on the furnace is a far off pipe dream! Don't even dream about the steam turbine! And because CIG can't get their pipelines sorted out they can't make a game. If they could sort out their pipeline problems they would have done so by now. CIG is promising to make the greatest drat plastic cup ever, but other companies have many pretty dang good plastic cups themselves and the made those cops for half the cost and in the half the time CIG has spent on trying to make their plastic cup, and they don't even have a plastic cup prototype yet, they just have a picture of a cup scratched out on a napkin. But that doesn't stop them from promising that their cup will magically float to the fridge, fill up, and magically float over to your lips so you can take a sip without having to leave your IRL wankpod! And also take out the trash, spank the kids, make diner, wash the dishes, turn on the TV, walk the dog, and have intercourse with you! And CIG will make the cups out of carbon dioxide instead of dead dinos and reverse global warming! And people just throw money at them! I just scratch my head at how anyone could support this! Don't allegedly smart people such as lawyers and such support this game?

Well, that does bring to mind an article I read on Scientific American how intelligent people are the same as critically thinking people. Maybe that has something to do with it? Me, back during the Kickstarter era I didn't know who CR was and I didn't care, but I liked Freelancer and the Kickstarter kept hawking Freelancer so I checked it out, realized that CR named an in game company after himself, realized he was a narcissist, and I don't like narcissists, and so I haven't spent a penny on the game to this day. But 30 minutes of Googling is all it takes to realize this how project is a sham, yet people keep spending money on it! It boggles me!

The article, for anyone who wants to read it:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-smart-people-do-foolish-things/

Anyway, I was checking on the first page on the general SC forum on Spectrum, and I'm seeing thread titles such as

"Since the end of 2018 it has only been a series of lies and disappointments,"

"The 3.9 Roadmap when it was added last year. There is clearly something very wrong with the producers and project management,"

"Why waste time and $67,000 per week on current CIG communications?,"

"Is it time to change the patch number 4.0 to 3.10?,"

"Saturday Everning - Unable to play StarCitizen,"

"Elevator Panels = Gameplay?,"

"Plz CiG kill the roadmap,"

"Stop the SQ42,"

"4.0 EXTREME padding lol"

One could also ponder that intelligence does not lead to wisdom, certainly not when said intelligence leads to arrogance. For that, one requires a certain degree of humility and ability to reevaluate one's position, rather than claim that one is correct because one wrote a ship model import tool for an old space game and is currently debugging a device driver. An ability to admit one was wrong, if you will, which is not exactly a trait we see in most of the type of backers who will still throw money at the game and then defend it by claiming it's perfectly normal to not have a viable product after twice as much money and time as the typical competitor. A few of the vocal ones have woken up, realized what they were doing and even apologized for their previous behavior, but it is a rare thing still.

I, for one, would never have expected that CIG would actually still be milking backers in 2020. Something to learn from, certainly.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

The thing is that the rationalizations are not earnest. Everybody knows the project is fubar but one thing is knowing it and another admitting so. Specially to oneself. Nobody wants to recognize that you have been bamboozled, so as long as the music keeps going, there is a chance this is not the case. Thus, the music must go on!

When you see someone arguing that its early days, or that they are building 2 games, that Diablo III took 10 years, that agile means planning is impossible, or that they had to build 4 studios they are not arguing in good faith.

So just fart in their general direction.

Are we allowed to call them the children of a hamster and a man who smelled of elderberry?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I want to talk about HL: Alyx and I'm going to do it in here instead of the HL: Alyx thread so I'll do a bit of compare and contrast to make it relevant:

---

So I'm most of the way through Chapter 5 of HL:A now- going slowly, I know, but I only have a few hours per week where my wife and I are both together and not working on other stuff. And I refuse to play it alone, it makes me too nervous to have any fun. But that's not what I want to talk about.

What's really getting to me is how a well designed game can do so much with just a few assets. HL:A has, basically, three guns and three consumables. It only has maybe a dozen enemy varieties. Up through Ch. 5, the entire setting has been some variety of "Alien infested, overgrown Eastern European block housing city." It is less FPS and more survival horror, in a creeping, rising-tension sort of way. You'd think that creeping through crumbling tenements and fighting zombies would get boring after a couple of hours, but HL:A knows exactly when that boredom would begin to set in, and constantly stays one step ahead.

Looking at Star Citizen alone you'd think a game needs 500 weapons and 100 types of spaceship or NPC to be interesting. But it's just not the case. HL: A has wonderfully polished movement, levels that are a masterclass in how to direct player attention to the next objective, and well designed encounters that are almost always teaching the player some interesting new trick or adding a twist on existing enemy types. The amount of care and craft they've poured into the three guns you can use makes each one stand out far more than any generic Star Citizen pulse rifle. And just when you're bored of the pistol, you get the shotgun. Just when you're bored of them in combination, you start getting grenades. Every weapon builds on the last and instead of becoming the new thing you use all the time, becomes another tool for your arsenal.

It should feel like a drip-feed of content, but because it all flows so well it just comes across as fun. When you're not fighting you're enjoying the good story and great voice acting. When you're backtracking it's almost always an opportunity to explore for more power-ups. There's never really any downtime, never a moment where you don't know what you should be doing next. It also rewards good play- use of the environment or hauling extra equipment around almost always pays off in the next combat encounter over just charging straight in. I've probably only actually killed under 50 zombies and 20 or so combine so far- the encounters are sparse compared to HL1 or 2. But the tension of VR and the feeling of really being there makes it feel very real, unforgettably so. I constantly feel like I'm fighting for my life and it's amazing.

Playing HL:A is really underlining to me how far in the wrong direction CIG has gone. I don't know how much HL:A cost but it feels like a title that could have been done in a year or so with a good team. It doesn't feel cheap, it feels compact. Yet it's leagues more fun than anything CIG has ever produced. Valve very clearly studied the last few years of VR indie games and picked out the mechanics that worked and those that didn't. They polished their chosen gameplay mechanics to a mirror sheen and imagined every possible variant of encounter using that limited set of rules for player and npc. Then they populated the world, filled in the gaps with art and detail. They ran it past play testers and took that lived experience and integrated their observations back into the final product. And it works- it's a tightly crafted, well packed experience that keeps you engaged from start to finish. I personally wish it wasn't scary as poo poo survival-horror, but that's just my own taste coming out. It is absolutely the best thing in VR right now, and I guarantee it didn't take 1/10th of Squadron 42's resources to produce.

CIG may as well get those console deals rolling, because honestly PC gaming has left them far, far behind.

Valve is always a master class in game design. Check out the little pamphlet in the orange box, where they describe how they came up with the poison crab idea by studying playtesters.

I just finished Alyx last night, and I will say this for the game, and it took me the whole game to get there: it actually molds the player. You start scared as poo poo all the time, you feel underequipped, and unprepared. Ultimately you feel small as opposed to how you feel in the desktop game, which is "I'll kill an entire planet with this crowbar."

But somewhere around chapter 6, something changes subtly. The headcrabs jumping out at you aren't quite as scary. Mastery of your weapons has made you confident. The barnacles, their horrible sound notwithstanding, aren't quite the menace they felt like at first.

By the end run of the game, you feel, finally, like the hunter, and not the prey. Mastery of all weapons is second nature, ammo management is a snap because you no longer shake and flinch, but hit every spot first try and never miss. You know you can take out 3 zombies with a single clip, or even, if you've really been paying attention, one single bullet. Your subconscious reactions change, too - from the heart pounding and fear early in the game at the slightest noise, to the fact that near the end of the game, if 3 zombies burst out at you, your mouth actually turns up in a slight smile as you position yourself to end them.

Name one other game that doesn't just let you play it, but it changes you as you play. I wasn't even sure I was going to make it through the game it was so scary, and I'm glad I stuck with it. My second attempt will also be a horror story, but from the perspective of the enemy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I don’t know anything about game development, but I think a lot of large game companies could make a large scale MMO in five years, then bang out a single player space ship game in three years.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Scruffpuff posted:

ammo management is a snap because you no longer shake and flinch, but hit every spot first try and never miss

Woah, if HL:A is so immersive that it actually induces trigger jerk then that's incredible! Does it also actually mimic sight alignment on the weapons? For those of you unawares, trigger jerk when discharging a firearm is when you "jerk" the trigger back sharply instead of a nice, smooth, slow, even pull. This causes the barrel to "flinch" downwards and for bullets to veer wildly in that direction. The "flinch" response is an automatic response your brain has to the loud, sharp, and sudden "bang" of a firearm. Your brain doesn't like that at all. Inexperience shooters tend to just jerk the crap out of the trigger to get it over with rather than going through with the unpleasant suspense of a good trigger pull where when the weapon actually discharges should be a "surprise" (if your finger is on the trigger of a firearm then your intent should be to destroy whatever is opposite the barrel - the "surprise" should be in the timing of the weapon discharging, not in the discharging of the weapon when you didn't mean for it discharge). Defeating the flinch response requires training, acclimation, and intense focus, and even then even professional shooters can still succumb from time to time. If the game is so immersive it engages this reptile part of our brain then that's amazing . I didn't even realize that was possible - the "bang" of a firearm is more than a loud noise. There's recoil and pressure/blast to it. Odor, too.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Oh, I read that book they mentioned in article. I think I read it in there or some other book on this discrepancy between intelligence and rationality, but it says that intelligence doesn't stop you from doing stupid things. It only makes you do same stupid things, but more quickly and efficiently. In case of backers, they might be more efficient at making up apologetics that defend this failure of a project or all the money they spent on it. In other cases, someone might defend better their 9/11 conspiracy theories or climate change denial due to higher intelligence, but if you haven't learned critical thinking skills (that you need to learn, unlike intelligence which is largely inborn), you won't notice you're being irrational.

I think CR is example of something else, it's example of Dunning-Kruger effect, he is overconfidently overestimating his competence at leading project of this scale and in this age. And he is overestimating it, because he knows so little about game development and what he knows is quite dated, so he has no idea how wrong and incompetent he really is. He lacks skills to estimate his competence that come with competence. And of course, there is also an army of sycophant backers that reinforce this illusion.