Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite series
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct
Samurai Showdown
King of Fighters
Other
View Results

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a person who played Yi Er Kung Fu on pre-smartphone mobile phones, I cant imagine what I would have to do to convince a friend to play me in it 1v1 when we could have been playing literally any good game in that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Barudak posted:

As a person who played Yi Er Kung Fu on pre-smartphone mobile phones,

Yikes

quote:

I cant imagine what I would have to do to convince a friend to play me in it 1v1 when we could have been playing literally any good game in that era.

Around the time we got an N64 we also finally figured out how to run things on an old hand-me-down DOS machine (like super old) and also came into a couple boxes FILLED with shareware disks that my mom's coworker was getting rid of, and for someone who had access to Ocarina of Time I sure did play me some Pharaoh's Tomb and Caves of Thor and Dracula in London and this one bass fishing game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It was so, so so bad. Like Yi Er Kung Fu isnt exactly a fast paced fighter but it doesnt deserve to be rendering at approximately 5 frames a second with massive input lag from face buttons. Also one two kung fu is a good pun why didnt they just translate the game name.

I also owned either Fatal Fury or King of Fighters for pre smart phones as well (not sure which but it had Mai and Terry) and it used weird chibi graphics with like two special attacks per character instead of even remotely attempting to emulate the graphics, and while absolutely dogshit was a million times better than Yi Er Kung Fu.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Barudak posted:

I also owned either Fatal Fury or King of Fighters for pre smart phones as well

:vince:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oh hey Streets of Rage 4 has a release date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzeW6kuh6XA

Even BETTER news, you can play as the classic 16-bit characters as well as listening to the original OST's for Streets of Rage I and II while playing the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5meiRPJTWU

Holy poo poo I am buying this game. This is pretty much everything I've ever wanted from a Streets of Rage sequel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It launches day one on gamepass so for between $1-$10 dollars it can be yours along with a pile of other games. I am extremely excited to play this because I am super ready for some brawling.

What do you think is the worst classic fighting game port? Im leaning towards whichever home version of MvC or X-men vs Streetfighter (I think saturn) it was where you couldnt have a team of different characters because the system memory was too small.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

It launches day one on gamepass so for between $1-$10 dollars it can be yours along with a pile of other games. I am extremely excited to play this because I am super ready for some brawling.

What do you think is the worst classic fighting game port? Im leaning towards whichever home version of MvC or X-men vs Streetfighter (I think saturn) it was where you couldnt have a team of different characters because the system memory was too small.

That was Playstation with the memory limitations. Probably still outsold the Saturn version, since Sega was deep into self-destruction at the time.

As for worst port, the Gameboy Mortal Kombats are bad, but I don't think anybody expected much. The C64 and Amiga(Maybe?) ports of SFII are supposed to be loving terrible.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Randaconda posted:

That was Playstation with the memory limitations. Probably still outsold the Saturn version, since Sega was deep into self-destruction at the time.

As for worst port, the Gameboy Mortal Kombats are bad, but I don't think anybody expected much. The C64 and Amiga(Maybe?) ports of SFII are supposed to be loving terrible.

The Amiga port of SFII wasn't too bad as you could use a joypad.

The C64 port? One fire button only, as well as looooooooooooooooooooooong loading times.

It went down as well as you'd expect.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dell_Zincht posted:

The C64 port? One fire button only, as well as looooooooooooooooooooooong loading times.

What? :wtc: there's not many games you could play with one button during that era, let alone a fighting game

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Randaconda posted:

What? :wtc: there's not many games you could play with one button during that era, let alone a fighting game

Pretty much every game on the C64 only supported one fire button.

Sure, you could play with the keyboard, but i'd rather chew my own fingers off.

EDIT - It should be noted that SFII was released for the C64 in 1992, about a year before the end of its lifespan.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 19, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I recall a 1995 review of the Amiga port of Mortal Kombat II stating that the game was playable on one button but a two-button controller was "recommended". I assume gamepads with more than two buttons were supported, but the review never brought those up.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of playing Mortal Kombat or especially SFII with one fire button or even two, and it's hurting my brain. I'm sure some people went "oh well, this is fine :tif:" at the time, but holy poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The UMK3 GBA port is the worst one I can think of relative to the hardware - it's missing tons of stuff, the sound is hosed, the AI is impossible, the inputs don't work, etc.

Most of the SNES versions of SNK's games were pretty bad - the only decent ones are World Heroes 1 and 2 and nobody wants to play those in any form.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Doc M posted:

I recall a 1995 review of the Amiga port of Mortal Kombat II stating that the game was playable on one button but a two-button controller was "recommended". I assume gamepads with more than two buttons were supported, but the review never brought those up.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of playing Mortal Kombat or especially SFII with one fire button or even two, and it's hurting my brain. I'm sure some people went "oh well, this is fine :tif:" at the time, but holy poo poo.

Imagine going out on Mortal Monday as a kid to the store with your parents and then going home with the Gameboy version because it was 10$ cheaper.

Except I don't have to imagine it.... I LIVED IT.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

2reachmu posted:

Imagine going out on Mortal Monday as a kid to the store with your parents and then going home with the Gameboy version because it was 10$ cheaper.

:stonkhat:

I'm more familiar with the MKII Game Boy port. I think it's decent considering the hardware, but I'd definitely be pissed if it was the only version I had.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I bought GameBoy MK because I didn't have a 16 bit system at the time and was desperate for ANY fighting game

It...sure was a thing you could play on your GameBoy, I'll give it that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I have MK2 on SMS for..some reason? I don't remember buying it. It's pretty okay for what it is.

Tekken Advance was pretty rotten, come to think of it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doc M posted:

You've gotta remember it's a combination of two things. First, multi-button controllers didn't become the standard or even common on home computers until USB in 96. If you were lucky, you had two buttons, usually one, and something like the gravis pad with its 4 buttons was a rare outlier (not just the buttons, mind you, pads just weren't a home computer thing). Second, the very notion of faithful ports is only something that really started popping up around the same time, in the 32 bit era's paradigm shift. So before that a port could be very different, mangled or even a completely different game, true to the spirit of the original or not, and it was fine indeed, you were used to port just being an interpretation of the source, and something like the PC Mortal Kombat port was a precious gem. That wasn't what home computers were for, for accuracy you went to an arcade.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 29, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Chev posted:

You've gotta remember it's a combination of two things. First, multi-button controllers didn't become the standard or even common on home computers until USB in 96. If you were lucky, you had two buttons, usually one, and something like the gravis pad with its 4 buttons was a rare outlier (not just the buttons, mind you, pads just weren't a home computer thing). Second, the very notion of faithful ports is only something that really started popping up around the same time, in the 32 bit era's paradigm shift. So before that a port could be very different, mangled or even a completely different game, true to the spirit of the original or not, and it was fine indeed, you were used to port just being an interpretation of the source, and something like the PC Mortal Kombat port was a precious gem. That wasn't what home computers were for, for accuracy you went to an arcade.
I realize that, I just can't figure out how Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat on a single fire button could even remotely be playable. I seem to remember keyboard controls working well enough with MK on PC because you don't really need diagonals, so maybe most players used the keyboard instead of a joystick. Keyboard doesn't seem great for SF, though.

But yeah, like you said, most ports in those days were at best a rough approximation of the source material especially on older systems (which I find extremely fascinating, and I love weird ports that shouldn't work on the target hardware such as Doom on the SNES and Quake on the Saturn) and I might have been a bit overly harsh. By the time MK II came out on the Amiga, the hardware would've been what, ten years old? It wasn't going to be the best port by any means, and I guess people who played it would have known what they were getting into. It's easy to say "oh, why didn't they just buy a Super NES if they wanted to play fighting games?" but that would've been expensive and the audiences for home computers and consoles were very different anyway.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Doc M posted:

I realize that, I just can't figure out how Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat on a single fire button could even remotely be playable.
Let's check the Amiga manuals!

Street Fighter 2:

Super Street Fighter II Turbo:

Mortal Kombat 2:

So, not well, then.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
SNK Gals Fighter hit Switch tonight for $8. If you got the Samurai Shodown! 2 port for buying the new Samsho, you know what to expect feature-wise. The game probably has the most personality out of the NGPC fighters, possibly tied with SNK vs. Capcom as it's not quite as character/content rich, but has a ton of charm and polish in the art and special effects.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Who wants to look at a gaming magazine from 1994, back when fighting games where something the masses cared about? I was reminded of this issue in the fighting game thread, and someone suggested the specific name that helped me find this. It's just the fighting game stuff (which to be fair is loose to the point of "I saw a joystick on the page") but if you want the whole thing put up I can make a new gallery with that. I hope someone else has a minor crisis over seeing this and realizing how old they are. You know, in a fun way.

https://imgur.com/a/IJZqUC7

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

HerniaFlange posted:

Who wants to look at a gaming magazine from 1994, back when fighting games where something the masses cared about? I was reminded of this issue in the fighting game thread, and someone suggested the specific name that helped me find this. It's just the fighting game stuff (which to be fair is loose to the point of "I saw a joystick on the page") but if you want the whole thing put up I can make a new gallery with that. I hope someone else has a minor crisis over seeing this and realizing how old they are. You know, in a fun way.

https://imgur.com/a/IJZqUC7

Kintaro lookin like Panthro and Cheetara got down

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just realized the sprites for KoF for feature phones came form SNK Gals Fighters, a Neo Geo Pocket Color game, but where did the lovely Terry Bogard sprite come from? Mysteries within mysteries now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

2reachmu posted:

For some reason the Gameboy version is the only one where you can play as Goro.

I like to think they included it because of how bad they felt for any kid that had it (like me for instance)

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots Arena is a good game

https://twitter.com/doginshark/status/1259265478033317891

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok so Slamurai is OP, Im sure the rest of the game is well balanced

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Ok so Slamurai is OP, Im sure the rest of the game is well balanced

The game is kinda fun, but yeah there's tons of dumb stuff in it, like this too:

https://twitter.com/doginshark/status/1259320303823585280

And that's not even going into the whole customization of parts thing. I'm sure that's a whole nother :can:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Barudak posted:

Pretty much any home version of MK3 just because of Shang Tsung. The systems of the time didn't have enough RAM to hold every character simultaneously, so the game loaded each particular match's characters into memory before the match started. So Shang Tsung's transformation ability was a huge problem.

The juggernaut systems of the time would pause the game for several seconds during a transformation so they could load the new character into memory from the slow as hell 1x CD-ROM drive. It probably wouldn't have been a problem if cartridges were still being used since reading data from a ROM image is a lot faster. (Although there are limits to that too, as shown by SNES SF Alpha 2.)

The less powerful systems of the time would simply place huge limits on Shang's transformations. Often you could only transform into whatever character your opponent was using. :allears:

Dell_Zincht posted:

I owned C64 Street Fighter 1, which was not anywhere close to the arcade version. I can only imagine what SF2 must have been like...

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

...! posted:

The less powerful systems of the time would simply place huge limits on Shang's transformations. Often you could only transform into whatever character your opponent was using. :allears:
And, of course, same with modern MKs, since character assets have become just that heavy. I do like the MK11 workaround where Shang's able to turn into all the classic ninjas, that way you only need one extra model with palette swap capability.

I only played the first three MK games on PC back in the day, and those implemented the full range of Shang Tsung transformations so for the longest time I didn't realize he was that limited in other releases (even tough, retrospectively, that was a bullet point in the promo for the PC versions).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think he just straight up doesn't transform in the PS2-era games.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Chev posted:

And, of course, same with modern MKs, since character assets have become just that heavy. I do like the MK11 workaround where Shang's able to turn into all the classic ninjas, that way you only need one extra model with palette swap capability.

I only played the first three MK games on PC back in the day, and those implemented the full range of Shang Tsung transformations so for the longest time I didn't realize he was that limited in other releases (even tough, retrospectively, that was a bullet point in the promo for the PC versions).

Yeah, but not being able to change into the full roster in MK3 is a gigantic nerf. The transformations are his thing in that game.

Although, good luck remembering all the inputs.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I owned Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter (and a bunch of other fighters, still got them too) for the Saturn when I was a teenager, and let me tell you, as a fighter obsessed teen who'd pour tons of quarters into the arcade machines, having a drat near arcade perfect version at home was paradise for me. Up until that point I'd never seen a more flawless arcade port.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Duck_King posted:

I owned Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter (and a bunch of other fighters, still got them too) for the Saturn when I was a teenager, and let me tell you, as a fighter obsessed teen who'd pour tons of quarters into the arcade machines, having a drat near arcade perfect version at home was paradise for me. Up until that point I'd never seen a more flawless arcade port.

Yeah that 4MB ram cart was bloody amazing. Though honestly, nothing beat hitting up the local laundromat or pizza place with 15 kids crowded around putting their quarters up. I had MSH vs SF and X-Men vs SF and while I played them extensively at home and with friends, we would still bring our cash with us to the arcade cabs.

Nothing beat the time when my friend got absolutely destroyed by Sabretooth doing some cheap rear end tossing around (launch, combo, end with a throwdown). He got mad as hell and when we walked out he said, "I'm gonna come back with my knife" :stare:

He was definitely bluffing, I think (he had a couple samurai swords, I was too young/dumb to know if they were real or not), but the other kid was pretty much scared to bits.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring was a pretty underrated fighting game.

Plus you could play as Cloud and Tifa from FFVII which was pretty sweet.

I loved this game as well. My favorite memory of this game is one day shopping at target and seeing it in the discount bin for 10 dollars. I had no clue the game even existed at the time and I freaked out finding out there was a FFVII fighting game and I could get it for just 10 whole dollars!

As for the actual fighting part of the fighting game I don't really remember much but the Final Fantasy VII characters and another character called God Hand. When the "God Hand" action game came out I remember thinking at the time "What, did that random Ehrgeiz game character get his own game?" of course they are not related.

After playing FFVII Remake I have felt like getting this out again and trying it out. It also had an amazing Dungeon Crawler RPG mode that was intense. I still remember the ending of making it to the end as one character and then they get killed so you have to make it all the way to end again as another character for the actual ending, it was crazy for me as a kid. I guess that is why I enjoy rougelites so much now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

...Geese, I at least understand, but were people really clamoring to play as Tung Fu Rue or Duck King? I love Duck King, but he's not exactly what you'd call a marquee character in any of the SNK fighters.

e: like, that's like if the SNES Alpha 2 box proudly announced that it has Dan in it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how they advertise the special boss right on the package, instead of it being a secret

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...Geese, I at least understand, but were people really clamoring to play as Tung Fu Rue or Duck King? I love Duck King, but he's not exactly what you'd call a marquee character in any of the SNK fighters.

e: like, that's like if the SNES Alpha 2 box proudly announced that it has Dan in it.

The gently caress you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HerniaFlange posted:

The gently caress you say?

put it this way: the "main" characters of Fatal Fury that I'd be leaning on for advertising are Terry, Andy, Joe, Mai, Geese, and Krauser. they're not the only good characters, I loving love the Chonrei twins and (as mentioned) Duck King, but those six are going to be pretty much the only Fatal Fury-era characters that people who aren't relatively hardcore SNK fans actually recognize, and even then, Andy, Joe and Krauser are potentially a little obscure compared to the other three on the list.

seeing characters outside those six be proudly advertised by name on the box is... more than a little strange to me.

e: and, as it turns out, googling around told me the actual reason they're being advertised. Special was an updated rerelease of Fatal Fury 2, as we all know, but one of its specific perks over FF2 was re-adding Geese, Tung Fu Rue, and Duck King from FF1 to the roster (and having them be playable, since the OG Fatal Fury was kinda on some Street Fighter 1 bullshit), and Geese makes that a selling point all by himself, let alone the other two. they're not advertising it to generally go "HOLY poo poo PISS, WE HAVE DUCK KING," they're advertising the FF1 characters as a specific addition over 2, and that at least makes sense.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 6, 2020