Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Kashuno posted:

the more hum posts the more I feel like they are definitely town

He's posting the same exact way in the game you were just in where he flipped scum what kind of read is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
1. Start off light on suspicion/content/getting hands dirty.
2. Make gripe about something without being specific on who it is until they reply
3. Reply with "lol" or "calm down nerd"
4. Flip scum

I'm willing to give Hum the benefit of the doubt but it's literally almost the same.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Deadbeat Dad posted:

He's posting the same exact way in the game you were just in where he flipped scum what kind of read is this?

nah he was a lot more meltdown that game

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Deadbeat Dad posted:

1. Start off light on suspicion/content/getting hands dirty.
2. Make gripe about something without being specific on who it is until they reply
3. Reply with "lol" or "calm down nerd"
4. Flip scum

I'm willing to give Hum the benefit of the doubt but it's literally almost the same.

isn't that hum in general for the first few days? like I don't pay a lot of attention to The Meta because I think, broadly speaking, it's horseshit, but IIRC that's hum, broadly speaking

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

(in a broad sense of speaking)

(speaking, of course, broadly)

(allgemein gesprochen)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Epsilon Plus posted:

(in a broad sense of speaking)

(speaking, of course, broadly)

(allgemein gesprochen)

Broadly speaking

Kashuno posted:

nah he was a lot more meltdown that game

Give it time!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I've got to run for the rest of the night, but I wanted to post my thoughts so far. I've finished rereading the histories for some key players of day 1, I haven't skimmed day 2 but not read in detail yet.

Now that we've got a few flips, I wanted to go back and see if anyone had a motive for the night kills.

Jen didn't push too hard for anyone (her strongest suspicion was Kashuno), I don't think her death was motivated by her cases

Scientastic on the other hand pushed hard on xopods (OFFICER LIGER and Epsilon Plus were his other suspicions, I have a town read on Epsilon and haven't reviewed OFFICER LIGER in depth yet, the xopods stuff was just too compelling)

Scientastic posted:

Happy to do this too. That xopods post is really really terrible. I think the linking himself to merk is bad, it really reads like "I am not shirking my respsonsibilities, but make sure you realise that I am sharing the responsibility with one or two other players"

Scientastic posted:

##Vote Xopods

Every post of yours is just ringing out as "THIS GUY IS SCUM THIS GUY IS SCUM"

Scientastic posted:

Doesn't anyone else see how xopods is trying to have his cake and eat it here? He keeps on talking about how accountable hes being and how by making a big deal out of pushing this case, he's nobly putting himself in the firing line, but actually he keeps shifting the focus (and accountability) onto someone else.

With the hindsight of knowing KK was scum and Scientastic is dead I think he was right about xopods and I think he was likely killed to take the heat off of xopods.

xopods starts out with a couple of "me toos". He posts quite a bit without providing content, arguing procedure rather than content

His "gotcha" moment with Scientastic just feels off

xopods posted:

Good thing you don't think that inconsistency is scummy, cause this is inconsistent as hell.

:chord:

xopods posted:

Okay, but the point you're responding to in the first quote relates to scum hunting and whether self-consciousness is a scum tell. You seem to be saying that it's not, because Town also have a motivation not to seem scummy.

Now you're arguing that Townies are in fact less self-conscious than Scum.

Which is it? Can we or can we not use a player's degree of apparent self-consciousness to make inferences about their alignment?

He's trying very hard to present arguments as logical and others as inconsistent. He hits Andy for this too, but silently drops any further mention

xopods posted:

I think Town and Scum can both be inconsistent but they're inconsistent in different ways. It's not the mere inconsistency that bothers me here, it's that it reveals a certain insincerity and self-consciousness IMO.

That is, he clearly didn't think Jen was particularly scummy when he started writing that post. If he was Town, "nothing has really blew my skirt up" indicates someone who hasn't been pinged very hard by anything.

So he must have written that first bit and then gone back to find a read to include.

That's the bit that's scummy to me. It suggests that he was concerned with how the first bit would look on its own without being accompanied by evidence of scum hunting, which is a Scum mind sort of worry.

xopods posted:

Also, for anyone on the fence about KK or not really seeing it, there's a strong case to be made for a D1 lunch that can clearly be attributed to one or a small number of players.

Often you end up with votes scattered around close to deadline and Townies shuffle around semi-randomly trying to figure out who there's enough support to lunch. That makes it very easy for Scum to get a Town lunch without taking direct responsibility for it.

I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure KK's Scum cause it's impossible to be 100% sure. But you've got me and merk here willing to take responsibility for this, plus probably DBD though I don't want to speak for him. Anyway, IMO any lunch where you can say clearly "here are the people who made that happen" is a good one from the perspective of information later in the game.

Also, KK will probably turn out to be Scum, so that's also a very good reason to lunch him.
This reads to me like someone who knows KK is gonna flip town and is trying very hard to set it up that he doesn't know KK is gonna flip town.

He had the motive to kill Scientastic, he pushed really hard on KK while always bringing up merk and DBD to spread out the "blame", to a degree that seems over the top. I think xopods is scum you guys

##vote xopods

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Epsilon Plus posted:

it appears that we're not getting roles along with flips, only flavor/alignment
Do you have information to suggest that Teacher/Student are not roles? Because I don't.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Jose Valasquez posted:

This reads to me like someone who knows KK is gonna flip town and is trying very hard to set it up that he doesn't know KK is gonna flip town.

There's a 10% chance this works. Can someone tell me how to add a gif to a post?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lNUh0uV.gif[/gif]

Jose did you read my massive post? I know we've played a bunch of games together in the past but honestly I can't remember your style but something in my long-term memory says to me you're not a "huge post" reader.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Mafia edit:

?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Do you have information to suggest that Teacher/Student are not roles? Because I don't.

all I can say is that you should read everything that's happened alongside your role PM very carefully; the way this game's mechanics seem to be set up I'm really doubting we're getting all the information from a player on their flip

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

##vote xopods

I'm fine with this one or Amni - his response to TT's post was kind of bonkers - but I prefer this one.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

There's a 10% chance this works. Can someone tell me how to add a gif to a post?

Jose did you read my massive post? I know we've played a bunch of games together in the past but honestly I can't remember your style but something in my long-term memory says to me you're not a "huge post" reader.

I haven't yet, I'm behind on day 2.

I see it now, there is a good chance I would have glossed over it given the size but I'll read it after I'm done raiding

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

ill show you a fuckin meltdown

*points to KK day 1*

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Mr. Humalong posted:

*points to KK day 1*

Hahahaha ok I like this

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Humalong posted:

*points to KK day 1*

:wow:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

OK, not gonna lie, I scrolled up to read your post and I was nodding along thinking "Tom Tucker gets it" then I realized I was reading my own post.

Then I read your post, and I was still nodding along. I think we're on the same page :hf:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yep, agree.

I think E+ and Liger are good paths to pursue today

Why? You haven't posted about either of them except for a joke(?) vote on Liger

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Epsilon Plus posted:

all I can say is that you should read everything that's happened alongside your role PM very carefully; the way this game's mechanics seem to be set up I'm really doubting we're getting all the information from a player on their flip
Okay, yeah, I see what you mean by that.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hey PQ, out of curiosity what do you think about Leith today?

Their play reminds me of the game we were scum, but I think him and you both said the same thing about me so maybe we are just getting used to each other's styles.

I think from their posts today, they are town.

yuming posted:

oh! and E+ for reasons previously stated by myself and others.

:sparkles:

Dearest friends, what do you think of kingcobweb?

I've re-read kcw and I think I believe his reasoning for voting KK at end of day.

Kashuno posted:

What've I done to garner your attention?

Your vote on KK seemed suspect

Mikujin posted:

Is there a reason you selected these three players specifically to take a vacation?
lol I never said it was because of me

Mikujin posted:

You are excusing yourself from having an opinion on anyone else in the game because we're not far enough into Day 2? We have like 25+ pages of D1 content that you can parse with the benefit of knowing three players are town. You continue to post in defense of yourself when Amnistar [incorrectly] called out your phrasing. At this point you see, concerned only with appearances (namely that you appear to be playing).

Spoonsy is my #2 vote right now (after xopods).

I like this, and i've liked mikujins posts on D2 so far. seems like some legit scumhunting.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Ultimately this point by Jose is what is selling the xopods case to me today.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mikujin posted:

This far into the witch-hunt this post just strikes me as weird. I get what Jose it getting at, but it just seems... kinda irrelevant to any actual discussion. Couple that with the fact his only previous posts amount to "no one is good at D1, please excuse me for not trying everyone knows I don't try on D1" and It leaves a sour taste.

@Jose: leading up to end of day, you indicated you were totally satisfied with KK getting the axe. In light of KK flipping town, who do you think is most likely to be scum on the bandwagon?

The timing of the post was because I was behind and catching up to the bandwagon, I was trying to make rational sense of KK's weird behavior, his posting did not make sense to me if he was town. It turns out he was just a bad irrational townie though.

I don't think it is accurate to say I don't try on D1, I don't make many D1 cases, and I don't think most D1 cases are very good, but I'm still reading the game and getting a feel for the interactions between the various players. Sure, it isn't super helpful in terms of finding scum day 1 but I think it pays off eventually.

Anyway, I said it earlier, but I think xopods is the most likely to be scum on the bandwagon. I'm still in the process of rereading everyone, but he seems like the most likely candidate.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I wouldn't really call the first person to vote/one of the first people to suspect KK to be a "bandwagoner".

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Mikujin posted:

Is there a reason you selected these three players specifically to take a vacation?

Wait, what? Why do you think PQ "selected" them rather than just knows what happened to them?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I don't really like Jose's posts either on re-read, especially the last few.

Jose
Amni
Hum
Leith

All would be fine lunches to me.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I don't really like Jose's posts either on re-read, especially the last few.

Jose
Amni
Hum
Leith

All would be fine lunches to me.

You mentioned Jose, and you've had opinions of Amnistar and Hum previously - why Leith?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Epsilon Plus posted:

You mentioned Jose, and you've had opinions of Amnistar and Hum previously - why Leith?

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I don't feel great about Leith either. He did the classic "safe thoughts on 10 players" big post that I swear I must've insta-voted every game back in the day and caught scum in like 60-70% of those because it's an easy way to get opinions out without really committing to much, and it also lets you safely bus someone in a "bigger" post without being forced to continue anything further through an actual back and forth.

A lot of posters are sort of in this muddled area of coming in, adding a few opinions without stepping on toes, jumping out. It's why I'm having trouble justifying a vote on xopods because he is SO out there and present and we have similar reads. I would vote him to prevent a no lynch situation and if he flipped scum wouldn't be 100% shocked, but for someone having literally the same reads as me and knowing I'm town, it's not something I actively find myself gravitating to even though I think Tom Tucker's case more than anybody else made a lot of sense.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

sorry, I miss that in the rest of that post

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Mikujin posted:

I appreciate you at least taking a stance on someone, but Hal being lazy is what he does on either side (at least in my recent experience with him). Where do you currently sit on Humalong, since you'd previously expressed suspicion of them?

Basically unchanged - his most active spot I saw was in response to being called out and now he's dropped back to mostly noiseposting

like i get some people see this as casing 'easy' targets but the logic was really 'hey whose names am I not seeing a lot of? are they doing anything meriting callouts?'

hence for example the read on kloaked as well right around then, but since they didn't ping scum they didnt get as much attention in my responses

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Comfy votes atm:
E+ (I like the continued cases on them, v good points)
Humalong (unchanged opinion from yesterday)
Hal (yes its n easy one but no contentposting is a scum play because its so easy to coast)

also kinda comfy voting Xopods but something feels off so would prefer not to. Most everyone else still pings town or neutral

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

xopods (5): Mikujin, kingcobweb, Tom Tucker, Jose Valasquez, zzyzx
Amnistar (2): xopods, Kashuno
Epsilon Plus (2): Kloaked00, Kloaked00, Kloaked00, CapnAndy
Mr. Humalong (1): Deadbeat Dad
Spoonsy (1): Amnistar
Hal Incandenza (1): Dexanth
kingcobweb (1): yuming

Not Voting (8): ASAPRockySituation, Epsilon Plus, Hal Incandenza, Leith Maclaine, Mr. Humalong, Pussy Quipped, Sandwolf, Spoonsy

With 21 alive, it's 11 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 20th, 2020 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 12 hours.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Wait, what? Why do you think PQ "selected" them rather than just knows what happened to them?

Yeah, I know what happened to them as well and I am quite sure PQ had nothing to do with it

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Pussy Quipped posted:

Their play reminds me of the game we were scum, but I think him and you both said the same thing about me so maybe we are just getting used to each other's styles.

I think from their posts today, they are town.

OK, I had some suspicion of Leith from some stuff they said at the start of today but I wanted another opinion I thought I could trust. Thanks. It's probably nothing then.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

A lot of posters are sort of in this muddled area of coming in, adding a few opinions without stepping on toes, jumping out. It's why I'm having trouble justifying a vote on xopods because he is SO out there and present and we have similar reads. I would vote him to prevent a no lynch situation and if he flipped scum wouldn't be 100% shocked, but for someone having literally the same reads as me and knowing I'm town, it's not something I actively find myself gravitating to even though I think Tom Tucker's case more than anybody else made a lot of sense.

This is pretty much my exact feeling on xopods. I think people casing him today are generally doing so in good faith (maybe Jose is a little suss for feeling like he had to create another whole case on xopods) especially TT, but my read on xopods from yesterday was that he was doing exactly what I have seen him do in town games recently, try to be very vocal and also do some mafia-dadding. I don't think I have seen him be scum on his return so maybe he can engage in the exact same style regardless of alignment, but right now I would not want to vote him.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would however be happy with ##vote Amnistar

His 3 "cases" earlier today were all very weak, especially the TT one where it looks like he legit got caught responding to something he didn't read and doubled down on trying to spin it, then stuck around for some mechanics chit chat then ducked out. I get the feel of someone who came in to make sure they had some opinions down and then hopped out as soon as the attention turned from them

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Anyone care to comment on my Jose case?
I feel like it got lost in the shuffle

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
Good morning.

Is his vote really still on me for my “scumslip” and then he makes a bunch of other weak cases?
##vote Amnistar

Would still like to hear more from PQ as to the missing players, especially since we have no idea as to anyone involved’s alignment.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Spoonsy posted:

Would still like to hear more from PQ as to the missing players, especially since we have no idea as to anyone involved’s alignment.

The missing players made their own individual choices to go missing today. I don’t know that 100% but pretty close to it. I believe PQ didn’t cause that but rather is speaking from personal knowledge of what can happen. We all know that the Harry Potter games have items/item-like game mechanics. This is just one of those

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Probably getting killed today, that's fine. I really do recomend looking at Spponsy.

Their play D2:

1.) Intro post bemoaning the lack of any actionable information.
2.) Bitching about me thinking I caught them in a scumslip, but leaving my vote because of 1. Then voting me
3.) Fishing for more information.

Notice what they aren't doing? Scumhunting.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kloaked00 posted:

The other person that ended up catching my attention is Jose. I was looking at the votes on other people to look for #2 above, and in looking at Jose's posting history, it doesn't look very good. There's the usual vote phase voting stuff, then once we started real discussion, there's still not much content at all. He had a joke vote on merk in the joke phase, then his second vote on Scientastic is here on April 15 at 1:37pm

That's it. That's all his votes for the day. He does say that he's willing to vote for KK here

Which admittedly is pretty much the same reason I said I would vote KK and didn't, so I don't hold that against him necessarily, but with him not having put forth really any effort, the two in combination make it feel scummy. He also likes to lament a lot how D1 is useless;

I had an unusually hard time with D1, and I'm usually not very good at D1 content. I'm working on doing better on D2, I've got a notes doc and everything which is something I haven't done in a decade or more.

quote:

And gives an excuse for why even though he's started playing mafia back when me, Spoonsy, TT and CapnAndy did, why he's bad now:
This wasn't an excuse for why I'm bad now, it was an excuse for why everyone else might be bad now. It was also a joke :shrug:

quote:

You can look through his post history yourselves, but you won't find really any content there. Now, I do agree that the veterans might be rusty and might not be used to any new metas, but we still know how to play mafia. And that includes Jose. He knows better than how he's playing right now and his lack of contribution for D1 though he knows better comes off as really scummy to me.

I still like my vote on E+, but I am also very willing to put down a vote on Jose

I wish I had more content to post D1 too, but I think that my little bit of D1 content was more than some other people in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

Anyone care to comment on my Jose case?
I feel like it got lost in the shuffle

Hmmm your points are valid, but since you could say the same thing about me I'm not sure I think it's as scummy as you do. There are always people in big games like this who are not going to be able to keep up with the constant stream of early posting and just kind of agree with things as they come up. If Jose is still doing nothing in the next few days it will be more compelling.

I do think his xopods case earlier felt forced though as I said