Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jizz it is
Dec 7, 2007

"what...oh...oh god..."
Looking for recommendations for Fantasy books/series along the lines of:
- Brandson Sanderson
- Patrick Rothfuss
- Steven Erikson (Malazan)
- Jim Butcher
- Stephen King (Dark Tower series specifially)

Or Sci Fi along the lines of:
- Richard Morgan
- Ian M Banks
- Dan Simmons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jizz it is posted:

Looking for recommendations for Fantasy books/series along the lines of:
- Brandson Sanderson
- Patrick Rothfuss
- Steven Erikson (Malazan)
- Jim Butcher
- Stephen King (Dark Tower series specifially)

Or Sci Fi along the lines of:
- Richard Morgan
- Ian M Banks
- Dan Simmons

Try:

Joe Abercrombie
Neal Asher
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time

Recommending them because they're more dude-written kinda dark (or very dark) genre work that's as popular as the stuff you've read.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Revisiting some classics I loved as kid and realized I never read Cat's Cradle. Loved every second of, definitely looking for something similar, but also looking to branch out from Vonnegut before continuing with SoT and Slaughterhouse re-reads. I've read Catch-22, and while I found it harder to get into in my old age once I did, I also really appreciated it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I hope you’ve read Mother Night at least once before re-reading other Vonnegut.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Revisiting some classics I loved as kid and realized I never read Cat's Cradle. Loved every second of, definitely looking for something similar, but also looking to branch out from Vonnegut before continuing with SoT and Slaughterhouse re-reads. I've read Catch-22, and while I found it harder to get into in my old age once I did, I also really appreciated it.

A Minor Apocalypse by Tadeusz Konwicki maybe? It's also an acerbic downer satire although a bit different from Cat's Cradle and Catch-22

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Safety Biscuits posted:

John Sladek, definitely, and maybe Robert Sheckley. Oh, and Vonnegut.

Some company is reissuing old Lem and going to translate some previously unavailable stuff, btw.

Thanks guys. I’m picking up that new translation of His Master’s Voice.

But I’ll have all those other names written down. Although I’ve read my share of Vonnegut.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm looking for fiction authors with very strong voices/styles, no preference in genre or era. I'm thinking along the lines of Elmore Leonard, Junot Diaz, Raymond Chandler, or Raymond Carver, where there's almost a 'spoken' aspect to the narration. Third person is preferable but not necessary. Any good recommendations? I'd appreciate it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm looking for fiction authors with very strong voices/styles, no preference in genre or era. I'm thinking along the lines of Elmore Leonard, Junot Diaz, Raymond Chandler, or Raymond Carver, where there's almost a 'spoken' aspect to the narration. Third person is preferable but not necessary. Any good recommendations? I'd appreciate it.

Have you tried James Ellroy?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I refuse to believe that Corman McCarthy doesn’t talk how he writes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tuyop posted:

I refuse to believe that Corman McCarthy doesn’t talk how he writes.

https://yelpingwithcormac.tumblr.com/

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

this is one of the greatest things

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Amazing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Eason the Fifth posted:

First thing that came to mind, I’ve got a weak spot for James Lee Burke, particularly any of the Dave Robicheaux series.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is the red night trilogy any good and can I find it all together as a compilation? No luck on Amazon. Plus the individual book covers are all dull as gently caress

For the record I love weird poo poo but Ive never read burroughs.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I love creeping dread, thrillers, mystery, stuff that messes slightly with standard format, Sci-Fi, Space Opera and some historical stuff. I love to read the SCP Wiki especially the more modern story based stuff. My favorite authors are Orwell, China Miéville, King when not obsessed with magical black people and most of all David Mitchell. Looking at Night Film by Marisha Pressl but open to suggestion. Also cool lady characters are a bonus but not necessary.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

LionYeti posted:

I love creeping dread, thrillers, mystery, stuff that messes slightly with standard format, Sci-Fi, Space Opera and some historical stuff. I love to read the SCP Wiki especially the more modern story based stuff. My favorite authors are Orwell, China Miéville, King when not obsessed with magical black people and most of all David Mitchell. Looking at Night Film by Marisha Pressl but open to suggestion. Also cool lady characters are a bonus but not necessary.

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix might be up your alley. I don't read a lot of horror (nor do I handle it well) and it sounds like you do so this may be not scary enough but I enjoyed it a lot. I've also read We Sold Our Souls by the same author which was a similar style of being more unnerving and creepy more than outright horror.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Humerus posted:

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix might be up your alley. I don't read a lot of horror (nor do I handle it well) and it sounds like you do so this may be not scary enough but I enjoyed it a lot. I've also read We Sold Our Souls by the same author which was a similar style of being more unnerving and creepy more than outright horror.

Creepy is what I like more then scary, give me the slow feeling that somethings wrong over the giant demon coming out of an alley and going boo.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

LionYeti posted:

I love creeping dread, thrillers, mystery, stuff that messes slightly with standard format, Sci-Fi, Space Opera and some historical stuff.

Neither reinvent the wheel, but Gina Wohlsdorf's Security and Grady Hendrix's Horrorstor are fun takes on slasher and horror, respectively. Josh Bazell's Beat the Reaper is a good crime thriller that messes with format a little, but not, like, House of Leaves style. I also love How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, which is funny and sad and all about loving with time, but it seems like some goons hate the hell out of it. Oh, and Blueprints of the Afterlife is a good, weird, near-future sci-fi story that also messes around with time a bit.

edit- ha, guess you REALLY need to read Grady Hendrix

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The Twenty Days of Turin
Cold Moon Over Babylon

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Twenty Days of Turin

This is a really cool and unique read

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cold Moon Over Babylon

I’m reading this now and loving it, so far it’s exactly what I want out of a horror novel—just kind of spooky and creepy, minimal gore and violence and big confrontations. Maybe that will change towards the end as things come to a head but I am enraptured so far.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LionYeti posted:

Have you read American Elsewhere yet? Or Blindsight by Peter Watts?

How about Nathan Ballingrud’s short stories?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I need some books where the ending is incredibly satisfying/happy/good guys win kind of thing? The sort of books where love triumphs, bad guy gets punched and you're like hey things work out in the end! Any genre, but also important to have well-written female characters. Queer rep is excellent but the uh, subset of books which are both queer and have that sort of ending are pretty small apparently.

Recommendations? I want books that make me smile.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

coolusername posted:

I need some books where the ending is incredibly satisfying/happy/good guys win kind of thing? The sort of books where love triumphs, bad guy gets punched and you're like hey things work out in the end! Any genre, but also important to have well-written female characters. Queer rep is excellent but the uh, subset of books which are both queer and have that sort of ending are pretty small apparently.

The quintessential "book that makes you smile" recommendation in this forum is generally Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. It doesn't have many female characters though and no queer themes. The other really solid heartwarming book is the All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriott, short stories about life as a veterinarian in 1930's and 40's Yorkshire. Again, no gay themes though.

Try Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees. It's less cozy but gayer -- female author, gay author.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 17, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you don't mind it being sci-fi, there is The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. Very cozy book, gay author, there's some bits on inter-species love and sex.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

If you don't mind it being sci-fi, there is The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. Very cozy book, gay author, there's some bits on inter-species love and sex.

Long Way is loving awesome.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LionYeti posted:

Long Way is loving awesome.

Disagree.

I think All the Birds in the Sky was kind of nice, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

coolusername posted:

This made me think of Rum Punch but then I realized I haven't actually read it yet (bought it a while back) so I have no idea if it has well-written female characters. I'm sure someone ITT can tell me?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want to read the kind of books your Nan loves then the Miss Silver series by Patricia Wentworth might be worth a go, she builds up characters so well that you *want* to see them murdered to death and sometimes that happens in the last third of the book - The Chinese Shawl is the one I adore the most.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Selachian posted:

Have you tried James Ellroy?

Thaddius the Large posted:

First thing that came to mind, I've got a weak spot for James Lee Burke, particularly any of the Dave Robicheaux series.

Thanks for the suggestions!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Are there any good french historical novels? I mean I assume so, but like, I have no idea where to start.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any good french historical novels? I mean I assume so, but like, I have no idea where to start.

Not really, no.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

Literally all of Alexandre Dumas. Start with The Count of Monte Cristo. Make sure to read a modern, unexpurgated copy.

After Dumas, try Les Mis.

Then maybe Balzac.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 19, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do Voltaire and Rousseau count?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Literally all of Alexandre Dumas. Start with The Count of Monte Cristo. Make sure to read a modern, unexpurgated copy.

After Dumas, try Les Mis.

Then maybe Balzac.

I last tried Monte Cristo in high school and bounced, it's been years and I should try him again. I'll do that, thanks!

Les Mis.... ehhhhh, not into that style.

tuyop posted:

Do Voltaire and Rousseau count?

They're more nonfiction, and I want fiction set in France. A friend recced me Vinter's Luck (as she knows I don't mind fantasy) and I'm gonna check that out too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is a bit of a longshot, but anyone know anything good on the history of stage magic, especially with regards to the process of it transforming from ritual to con to entertainment?

e: Regarding the French request, maybe some Zola?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 19, 2020

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you want set in France or written by French people? Because if it’s the latter, nothing beats Flaubert’s Sallambo. That novel is absolutely nuts, if you like modern fantasy doorstoppers, this is as weird and fantastical, but much better written. I adore that book.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

They're more nonfiction, and I want fiction set in France. A friend recced me Vinter's Luck (as she knows I don't mind fantasy) and I'm gonna check that out too.

I was thinking Voltaire's Candide but I was wrong, Rousseau didn't do a similar thing.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I last tried Monte Cristo in high school and bounced, it's been years and I should try him again. I'll do that, thanks!

Les Mis.... ehhhhh, not into that style.

I would recommend The Red and the Black, but if you don't like Les Mis, it might not be your thing either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Do you want set in France or written by French people? Because if it’s the latter, nothing beats Flaubert’s Sallambo. That novel is absolutely nuts, if you like modern fantasy doorstoppers, this is as weird and fantastical, but much better written. I adore that book.

Oooh, this sounds fantastic. Are there any translations I should look for, or will the gutenberg edition do me fine?