Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, the one place I remembered it being a thing was in Buffy, where a couple of the vampires got their original souls back and realized that this makes it really, really, REALLY hard to be a vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Holy poo poo Topher was Haley Joel Osment

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also he was walking on the ceiling.... but maybe he could do that before?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The necromancer was Benedict Wong using his regular accent.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Kayvan Novak deserves an award for delivering "This would make a great gift for a man named Steve".

I laughed more at episode one than I did all the TV I saw in the time it was on break.

Oh drat and Nadja "Alright Dr. rear end in a top hat" and her little jerk off motion, god drat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I had a big laugh at how Topher's cider company (which he owns .5% of) has to qualify that it is "Apple flavored" cider.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was the central conceit of vampires in Buffy and shows up a lot in Chinese mythology. There each person has a Hun and a Po making up the content of your soul. Upon death the Hun, the aspect consisting of your virtues, moves on and the Po, the aspect of base desires, continues to inhabit your corpse, dormant until awoken by outside forces.

This concept combined with the presence of Haley Joel Osment got me thinking about Kingdom Hearts and how the whole heartless/nobody/regular body(?) premise is very similar to this in how you can have multiple versions of the same person existing as separate entities. I haven't thought about Kingdom Hearts since I played 2 like a decade ago, so that was a weird thought to have out of the blue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, the one place I remembered it being a thing was in Buffy, where a couple of the vampires got their original souls back and realized that this makes it really, really, REALLY hard to be a vampire.

I was thinking of Buffy but, although there were vampires whose human souls were shown to be distinct from their vampire selves, I'm not sure if they ever had a vampire speak to its own ghost like this? Obviously Angel and Spike got their souls back while remaining vampires, but that seemed to somehow fuse the two entities so they had the memories of both and also, for some reason, the sins of the vampire became the burden of the soul so they'd be destined for hell for all the things they did as a vampire despite the soul not being there for those bits. It was weird and confusing.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Really stoked this show is back. I enjoyed that pre-vampire Nandor was played totally straight to contrast with the Nandor that we know. I do hope Laszlo gets some good arcs this season though because I feel like Matt Berry is underutilised on this show - or maybe because Natasia Demetriou is such a show-stealer. Oh, ouch ouch, my balls, I love to drink ... beer

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I enjoyed the mention that both Nandor and Nadja lived in territory controlled by the Ottomans.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Interesting that they established Nadja as Greek, since I know Natasia Demetriou is of Greek/Cypriot descent in real life.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
this show makes me so happy. very glad it's back.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Henker posted:

Interesting that they established Nadja as Greek, since I know Natasia Demetriou is of Greek/Cypriot descent in real life.

Greece was Ottoman territory 700 years ago so it checks out. I loved Nadja Ghost cursing in Greek, haha. Also Nandor Ghost only speaking Farsi.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Jerusalem posted:

Also he was walking on the ceiling.... but maybe he could do that before?

I wouldn't go walking on the ceiling, it's covered in updog.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’d probably say Nadja is my favourite of the three. Her openly mocking the other two was gold. As were all the dead familiars.

Kind of hope they stop treating Guillermo so terribly. It’s been done and doesn’t add anything new. Ie. Family Guy and Meg.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The only thing to critique in these first two episodes is the notion that Laszlo wouldn't be down to gently caress himself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alvarez IV posted:

The only thing to critique in these first two episodes is the notion that Laszlo wouldn't be down to gently caress himself.

That struck me as very out of character

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Alvarez IV posted:

Maybe he's grossed out by the 'plasm

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Alvarez IV posted:

Uh did you watch the episode.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Am I misinterpreting wildly or didn't He hosed his own ghost until the latter exploded into a room full of cum?

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Uh did you watch the episode.

Yeah, and he looked reticent when he should have been like "Hell yeah, I am down for this once-in-a-lifetime act of masturbation." It didn't make a great difference, anyway, he still went for it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I legit would have expected him to suggest it BEFORE finding out that was the unfinished business.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He should've suggested it but just couldn't get the ghost off because of how boring his sex is.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Concatenation posted:

Really stoked this show is back. I enjoyed that pre-vampire Nandor was played totally straight to contrast with the Nandor that we know. I do hope Laszlo gets some good arcs this season though because I feel like Matt Berry is underutilised on this show - or maybe because Natasia Demetriou is such a show-stealer. Oh, ouch ouch, my balls, I love to drink ... beer

Hah, my fiancé and I actually thought Matt Berry was stealing the show in these episodes even if his character isn't at the forefront. The "Well you're in there now!" at the start of episode 2 was just an incredible line delivery.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

angerbeet posted:

I wouldn't go walking on the ceiling, it's covered in updog.

Can we go get some now? :cry:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Between this and The Boys Haley Joel Osment has been showing up in some good stuff lately, good for him

First two episodes were great and I can't wait to see where this season goes it's already insane

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
These two episodes were better than anything in season one, so it’s off to a great start.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alvarez IV posted:

Yeah, and he looked reticent when he should have been like "Hell yeah, I am down for this once-in-a-lifetime act of masturbation." It didn't make a great difference, anyway, he still went for it.

Laszlo would've been way more into if it was the ghost jerking him off, probably.

And holy crap, Nadia's doll

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

What's updog?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Boinks posted:

What's updog?

Nothin' much, dog, what's up with you?

:razz:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Laszlo would've been way more into if it was the ghost jerking him off, probably.

And holy crap, Nadia's doll

Speaking of which, do we get to have the haunted doll stick around for the rest of the season?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madurai posted:

Speaking of which, do we get to have the haunted doll stick around for the rest of the season?

I assume so since they didn't explicitly get rid of her and also it seems like an expensive prop for one episode.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Turing the kid from the Sixth Sense into a zombie is some masterclass television right there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched the new ones while super tired, was the extent of the horse one just that he wanted to be reunited with the horse, and the only thing they could communicate was ‘good morning’. I kinda expected something darker, but maybe that was the joke ha. I mean, he did eat the horse the first time around...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Haley Joel Osment and Benedict Wong oh god this show is the best.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
I was a little surprised at all the love the second episode got. The first was brilliant, but I honestly thought the second was pretty weak. Colin Robinson's gag was pretty good, but Guillermo disappeared after like the first act...and I really think he carries the show in his interactions with the others. He's not as flashy, but his actor is really great at the quiet beats.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I actually thought the opposite. I thought the story idea of the second was really unique and strong and the way they played off their ghosts was fun. First was funny but I didn't think was as good of an episode as the second.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I liked that no one really knows what Colin Robinson's deal is.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

I liked that no one really knows what Colin Robinson's deal is.

Early in season 1 I hoped that Colin Robinson was a plain human, deluding himself that he was an energy vampire, but it's so much better that he an actual weirdo vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I legit would have expected him to suggest it BEFORE finding out that was the unfinished business.
Yeah, he went out of his way to point out that he wouldn't suck dick earlier in the episode and looked disgusted. Between that, and the homophobe having to do a gay sex trope, that part of this ep seemed weirdly mean-spirited.