Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Allison can toallty take that dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mr. Lobe posted:

If benevolent dictators were a thing that actually existed and endured through generations, autocratic monarchy would probably have never been rendered obsolete by liberal democracy. I'm sure between propaganda and his legitimate merits, he is probably fairly popular.

Of course, autocratic monarchy would also have never been rendered obsolete if monarchs were superwizard kung fu demigods, either.

If there's anything I don't like about k6bd, it's that it's hard to imagine communism happening in a world with great man metaphysics

It's sort of the Exalted problem where the metaphysics mean normal people don't and can't matter.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

The Halogens posted:

Would this be the worst-smelling place we've seen so far after a few hours or do you think we've been shown a smellier location?

Incubus' tower-pits.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

YaketySass posted:

It's sort of the Exalted problem where the metaphysics mean normal people don't and can't matter.

That’s only one edition of Exalted, to be fair.
Most of the time the metaphysics of the setting don’t actually declare that unnamed characters are ‘extras’ subject to harsher mechanical rules.

It’s still the case that the Exalted are wildly stronger than the un-Exalted but it’s not like that officially makes them more morally valuable like in 2e, which was a weird direction for the game line to take I tell you what.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mindblast posted:

Maybe this ending to the tournament is so standard that every seat has a folded umbrella underneath it. :v:

"The front 50 rows will get wet."

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

"The front 50 rows will get wet."

Even worse are the knockoff tournaments under the name David Too

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maia is still unaccounted for and if she’s in the arena she’s allowed a strike.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh man. If Maya shows up outta nowhere that would be amazing. I don't think it'll happen, though.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Allison can toallty take that dude.

She couldn't even make it a couple rounds into the tournament, against normal (by KSBD standards) kung fu dudes, without fusing with Cio.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Now I'm just trying to come up with a good riff on "ticket pays for the whole seat but you'll only need THE EDGE" but I can't come up with anything.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Joe Slowboat posted:

Solomon’s rule is so hilariously legalist that it makes the state of Qin look like Gay Space Automated Luxury Communism. His response to a woman sleeping with one of his officers involves executing the officer and sentencing her to at least a decade in a work camp.

Notably, Qin collapsed under its second ruler, and the rebellion is said to have started when a couple of mail carriers were late, and realized that since the punishment for late mail was execution and the punishment for rebellion was also execution.

I don’t think Solomon being a somewhat responsible and paternalistic ruler means he’s untouchable - it’s the absolute terror of his untouchable power as a killer that underwrites his sovereignty. So, if his divine violence gets turned aside and he gets scratched... I imagine that might make his empire a tad less stable.

Yeah the fall of the Qin loving rules. The only thing funnier than "if you get a rain delay, you die" school of government suicide is that the immediate successor to the Qin, the Chu, got completely loving owned in 4 years because Xiang Yu for some reason thought organizing the entire country into a civil war blender was somehow a good idea.

PMush Perfect posted:

Hell, "give up my freedom for security" is a choice that some people might actually willingly make in this crazy hyperlethal kung-fu universe.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

I get how Gog could still fight Solomon because can he do this a literal billon times, but this looks like it would chump Mottom and Gramps. How are they still alive?

Incubus wants to fight this?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The moment Swolemon moves against Mottom or Gramps and succeeds, down comes everyone else on him. Including Jagganoth. And both Mottom and Grampy Dragon have massive armies. You can kill a ring of mooks all you want, if there's enough bodies to throw at you (and they don't run away) then eventually you'll get overwhelmed.

I would be so mad if I were a competitor and lost to time/speed hax, though. Especially if I'd been following the tournament to know my foe and he'd never pulled this particular bullshit before.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

The moment Swolemon moves against Mottom or Gramps and succeeds, down comes everyone else on him. Including Jagganoth. And both Mottom and Grampy Dragon have massive armies. You can kill a ring of mooks all you want, if there's enough bodies to throw at you (and they don't run away) then eventually you'll get overwhelmed.

I would be so mad if I were a competitor and lost to time/speed hax, though. Especially if I'd been following the tournament to know my foe and he'd never pulled this particular bullshit before.

I’m not sure your forebrain would have time to get mad before it’s not longer capable of that emotion, tbqh

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Brain Candy posted:

I get how Gog could still fight Solomon because can he do this a literal billon times, but this looks like it would chump Mottom and Gramps. How are they still alive?

Incubus wants to fight this?

This is a cool trick for killing a few hundred people. Mottom regularly destroys whole planet scale civilizations without lifting a finger. Is it "cheating" to use an army instead of kung fu? I guess, but the actual weapons everybody has on hand are "thousands of worlds worth of armies." Davy has armies too but we haven't seen enough of all the armies that I'd want to put money down on how they'd all perform.

The other thing to keep in mind is that diamonds are very tough in very specific ways and he could very well be vulnerable to, say, being turned into a tree from a hundred miles away.

Jagganoth is scaring the poo poo out of everybody else not because he's so personally strong - he was personally strong the whole time - but because his armies are getting massively better than everybody else's.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I will lose my poo poo if this smash cuts to our furious dumb protagonist freaking out in Solomon's Za Warudo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don’t understand this reference and I don’t know if I want to.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will say the moment solomon grundy decides to ki rata jagganoth to show his martial superiority and his kick just stops dead against one of his magnificent pecs will be a tasty moment indeed

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Flesnolk posted:

She couldn't even make it a couple rounds into the tournament, against normal (by KSBD standards) kung fu dudes, without fusing with Cio.

See, I want this to be foreshadowing, where Solomon David is totally using his Key to stop time, just so that when he tries to do the same thing when he has to fight Allison, she does too, and doesn't understand why he's upset that she's still moving around and reacting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Solomon’s rule is so hilariously legalist that it makes the state of Qin look like Gay Space Automated Luxury Communism. His response to a woman sleeping with one of his officers involves executing the officer and sentencing her to at least a decade in a work camp.

Notably, Qin collapsed under its second ruler, and the rebellion is said to have started when a couple of mail carriers were late, and realized that since the punishment for late mail was execution and the punishment for rebellion was also execution.

The version of the story that I heard was that there was a sheriff who was transporting convicts to a labor camp, and one of them escaped. The penalty for losing a prisoner was death, so, figuring he had nothing to lose, he set all of his prisoners free and they all regrouped in the wilderness to start organizing an uprising. That sheriff would go on to become the first emperor of Han.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tulip posted:

Jagganoth is scaring the poo poo out of everybody else not because he's so personally strong - he was personally strong the whole time - but because his armies are getting massively better than everybody else's.

Jagganoth is also, apparently, literally invulnerable. While that doesn't apparently make him instantly stronger than everyone, it does speak to him having some kind of category-breaking power that none of them understand. That's got to be worrying!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm struggling mightily to figure out the pithy way to say "people give up actual freedoms for illusory safety all the time" and I think I settled on just "total brokebrains"

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Joe Slowboat posted:

is it terrible that I think, "oh well at least he placed the heaviest punishment on the man with power, and didn't just go 'hurr woman seductress bad"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the whole diamonds don't scratch but they sure do shatter thing leads me to doubt that salami is going to make it out of this book or part or whatever alive

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

PMush Perfect posted:

Joe Rogan has the curiosity of a child and the intelligence of one.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Eh, murdering a stadium filled with people who know martial arts bullshit or red arts or whatever is a bigger flex than turning dudes into trees. Mottom can get held up by a nipple nun with a whip.

I guess I'm saying there's a world where she is smote by horse style, and not so much with our salami boy here.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Begemot posted:

Solomon David is not the same as that Solomon David.

It took me way too long to find that, but it's a good bit of lore, and I also found the one about Australia.. Someone really ought to go through all those asks and add that info the wiki or something.

I found it!

Mazerunner posted:

is it terrible that I think, "oh well at least he placed the heaviest punishment on the man with power, and didn't just go 'hurr woman seductress bad"

I mean... this was his take on the Judgement of Solomon (which I remembered as somewhat harsher than it was, though I'd argue this is still pretty drat bad):

quote:

Very true. I believe the well-known story was that Solomon offered to split the babe in two for fairness’ sake, and when the real mother began to cry, Solomon knew who was telling the truth.

In fact, I was recounted the true story of this incident by a traveling peddler. Solomon was very kind to both women and listened to their concerns, leaving them with the promise of the assignment of a high imperial clerk to their case. The clerk quickly determined in no time at all through the well-organized imperial intelligence service that one of the prostitutes had a liason with a minor but decorated officer of the third legion some time ago. Questioning the officer uncovered very quickly the true identity of the baby’s mother, who were notified and brought to one of the world courts at haste. It had scarcely been a day.

Since lying in the court is a serious offense, the false mother was sentenced and executed later that day. Since copulating with an acting officer is a serious offense, the true mother was sentenced to six months of hard labor, her child was taken as a ward of the state, and her lover, the officer in question, was discharged from the imperial military, had his citizenship revoked, and died of complications from syphilis a year later, or so I hear.

The true mother is doing better, I’ve heard she is a clerk now, and her education was paid for by the crown.

She will still never get her child back.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

habeasdorkus posted:

Power levels are dumb, people. But I will jump in anyways.
Solomon has an advantage being that he hasnt been sitting on his rear end for the last couple eternities, and I assume he has a rigorous training and breathing exercise routine between his kombucha cleanses* and daily put downs of his children.

But like you said as soon as one demiurge defeats another the entire thing falls apart into chaos, with Jagganoth coming out the likely winner simply because hes planning for and anticipating that to happen.

*"You see this SCOBY, child, I have cultivated it to produce fine kombucha. And I make it a habit to create a new culture every once in a while, recording and documenting its growth. This morning it has grown, and I have judged it more likely to become heir than any of my children now before me."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

the likely winner simply because hes planning for and anticipating that to happen.

Incubus: So what you're saying is, I have a chance! (No Incubus that's not what we're saying) I HAVE A CHANCE!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

The version of the story that I heard was that there was a sheriff who was transporting convicts to a labor camp, and one of them escaped. The penalty for losing a prisoner was death, so, figuring he had nothing to lose, he set all of his prisoners free and they all regrouped in the wilderness to start organizing an uprising. That sheriff would go on to become the first emperor of Han.

Both of those stories are true, though it was a pair of soldiers late to their posts, not mailmen, in the first one.

The late soldiers started the failed Dazexiang uprising and the failed sheriff was indeed Liu Bang, future Emperor Gaozu of Han.

There's also a fascinating historical undercurrent that the Chancellor of Qin, Zhao Gao, may have been deliberately making the laws absurd in an attempt to wreak vengeance on Qin from within.

None of this is the funniest legalist self-own, which is that the guy who implemented legalism in Qin way back at the start of all this was eventually declared a traitor, tried to flee, and was caught because his own law against not having official travel permits stranded him in the middle of nowhere with no shelter.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 20, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joe Slowboat posted:

"So, uh, what's the punishment for being late for work?" "Death." "And what's the punishment for attempting to violently overthrow the emperor?" "Death." "Well, we're late for work."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Joe Slowboat posted:

Incubus: So what you're saying is, I have a chance! (No Incubus that's not what we're saying) I HAVE A CHANCE!

It was Jagganoth's idea.
Incubus was content stewing in his filth pit for all eternity until Jags lit a fire under him.

This is not a man in complete control of whatever hole he has himself in.
He's also managed to fool himself into thinking that this isnt the case.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is not a man in complete control of whatever hole he has himself in.
He's also managed to fool himself into thinking that this isnt the case.

This doesn't seem to say it was Jagganoth's idea, just that they're working together. We don't have any evidence it was the Red God's idea, and from Incubus' first scene with Allison in dreams where he seems to be considering how useful she might be, I would bet he was the first to see potential in her - maybe not to restart Universal War, but his entire deal is taking people and baiting them into getting hooked on Crystal Incubus.

Plus, just narratively, unless he explicitly says Jagganoth drew him into this plan, the way he was introduced and the way the story played out, he's clearly meant to be understood as independently scheming.

That he's dumb enough to scheme with the Red God is a character point about Incubus, and his terrible terrible decisions.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's only a terrible decision if you don't think Allison can win.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Hypocrisy posted:

It's only a terrible decision if you don't think Allison can win.

I don't mean he's wrong, I think he's actually best positioned for everything about to go down - but it's Incubus, so even his objectively effective decisions are definitionally terrible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Demiurge4 posted:

Maia is still unaccounted for and if she’s in the arena she’s allowed a strike.

If anyone could claim that single drop of blood, it's actually probably her. Don't forget she's an Emissary of Jagganoth and spoiling for a shot of her own at Incubus.

Joe Slowboat posted:

This doesn't seem to say it was Jagganoth's idea, just that they're working together. We don't have any evidence it was the Red God's idea, and from Incubus' first scene with Allison in dreams where he seems to be considering how useful she might be, I would bet he was the first to see potential in her - maybe not to restart Universal War, but his entire deal is taking people and baiting them into getting hooked on Crystal Incubus.

Plus, just narratively, unless he explicitly says Jagganoth drew him into this plan, the way he was introduced and the way the story played out, he's clearly meant to be understood as independently scheming.

That he's dumb enough to scheme with the Red God is a character point about Incubus, and his terrible terrible decisions.

Incubus' scheme is training Alice to make her beat up the big red bully squatting in his playground.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Joe Slowboat posted:

Jagganoth is the primary instigator of this scheme. He called the meeting, he's the shadow looming over the rest of the demiurges, and the most capable of toppling any portion of them (but not the whole). As well as the phrasing above of "Then well see if you deserve the master key or not" implies a much stronger hand in the events and their planning, and incubus being dragged along.
In addition among all the stagnation the demiurges wallowed in he was the first to be roused into action, and he didnt even meet our favorite bonny lass and eternal queen of bad decisions.

Jags wants the master key for his own, and drafted incubus into this, baiting and exploiting his sense of inferiority.
Whether Incubus is doing a side plan or not is unclear as of yet, but the situation he's in is all Jags.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If anyone could claim that single drop of blood, it's actually probably her. Don't forget she's an Emissary of Jagganoth and spoiling for a shot of her own at Incubus.

That is never stated nor would she ever have anything to do with a demiurge. Shes despises them. Incubus the most.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 20, 2020

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 20, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013