Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Webby was mostly there to be the kidnapping victim whenever they needed the villain to be serious in the original Ducktales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senerio posted:

Webby was mostly there to be the kidnapping victim whenever they needed the villain to be serious in the original Ducktales.

Which is why it was a major breath of fresh air when in their first real outting together after the pilot, she's the one who rescues the boys.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Senerio posted:

And to be the pink one they could use to sell to girls.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is why it was a major breath of fresh air when in their first real outting together after the pilot, she's the one who rescues the boys.

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how the reboot managed to turn WEBBY into one of the best characters in the show (they also fixed Beakley whose original purpose was mainly just Scrooge's maid and Webby's grandmother).

In fact, I really can't think of much of anything from the 80's cartoon that wasn't drastically improved by the current one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 19, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Um...hmmmm.....the original has a great video game?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Larryb posted:

Huh, could have sworn I’ve seen the original Webby in a comic once but it could have been something written after the series premiered.

Out of curiosity, just how many now staple characters of the franchise did the original cartoon actually invent?

I think those are the relevant ones, Webby, Beakley, Launchpad. From there on out it gets a bit more obscure with characters, who never showed up in Comics either. From the top of my head I can list Fenton, his mom, Baba and that one dude who's name I forgot. The one who is now Boyd's brother.
Oh and Duckworth.

Oddly enough, the currator of the Duck archive is from the Comics instead.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This season has had a distinct lack of Incredibly Dramatic Librarian so far

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
To be fair, last season she didn't show up for like half the season. I think the first time she showed up again was the Lena episode?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of curious if we’re going to see Owlson again as well.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Kind of curious if we’re going to see Owlson again as well.

Probably not. I liked Owlson. She just wanted to run a massive corporate conglomerant in a sane, profitable manner.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I am 100% certain Owlson is back.

Based off the s3 poster.

Also Frank's twitter wherr he straight up said she would be

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of hope she makes good on her promise to start her own company and winds up rivaling both Scrooge and Glomgold.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am 100% certain Owlson is back.

Based off the s3 poster.

Also Frank's twitter wherr he straight up said she would be

Yeah that final gently caress you speech she gave to Louie before jumping out of the plane had some very big "I'm going to be back and be a bigass problem for you and your insane family eventually" energy to it, so if she never comes back I'm going to be very surprised.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Everyone posted:

Probably not. I liked Owlson. She just wanted to run a massive corporate conglomerant in a sane, profitable manner.

FOWL's gonna hit a setback and have to find new funding after Scrooge finally kicks the vultures out and it ends up Owlson acquires them

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If Webby was adopted, I feel like it makes just as much sense or more for her parents to be FOWL agents that Beakley eliminated, especially since that would be a better reason to keep it a secret.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maximum drama: Webby isn't adopted, but her parents were FOWL agents.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Aside from Webby being such a great character I really can't believe how well they make Della work. There is so much that could go wrong with the idea of introducing Donald Duck's Long Lost Sister but she's just perfect, the most laughs I got out of the last few episodes were all Della-related

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nerdbot posted:

Aside from Webby being such a great character I really can't believe how well they make Della work. There is so much that could go wrong with the idea of introducing Donald Duck's Long Lost Sister but she's just perfect, the most laughs I got out of the last few episodes were all Della-related

She lost a game of Tic Tac Toe against herself because she’s an idiot and then immediately disowned her son for turning into a fish :allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

She lost a game of Tic Tac Toe against herself because she’s an idiot and then immediately disowned her son for turning into a fish :allears:

That first part sounds like something Launchpad would also do.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's honestly crazy just how impressive the show is. Like, right off the bat, it's an excellent remake: the crew clearly loves the source material, but unlike other remakes or reboots they have a solid understanding of what worked and what didn't, and aren't afraid to throw things away or make changes if it would better suite the story they want to tell. They also have a huge ensemble cast, but they've somehow managed to make each cast member a unique character without (For the most part) having to rely on stereotypes. And of course it's well animated, tightly written, and full of humor and storytelling that won't leave kids behind but will keep adults just as entertained. It really is a show for everyone, and I am honestly amazed at how they managed to do it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

nine-gear crow posted:

She didn't lose the game, she fought herself to a draw and then got upset as if she wasn't expecting to.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

She didn't lose the game, she fought herself to a draw and then got upset as if she wasn't expecting to.

Della is nothing if not over confident.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Della is nothing if not over confident.

And mildly homicidal against fish.

Merwanans: Peace and love

Della: *arming torpedoes*

We also had a small Teen Titans Go! reunion with Greg "Beast Boy" Cipes and Hynden "Starfire" Welch as Vero and Alethia.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 20, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Webby is a clone in a similar fashion of Les Enfants Terribles and they are gonna reveal a liquid Webby soon

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hihohe posted:

Webby is a clone in a similar fashion of Les Enfants Terribles and they are gonna reveal a liquid Webby soon

being constructed from the dominant genes of scrooge mcduck explains a lot about her

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sea Lily posted:

being constructed from the dominant genes of scrooge mcduck explains a lot about her

Recessive genes.
She's the badass heroic one.

(Insert obligatory genes do not work that way Morbo meme)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
SHE'S HERE

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Frank Angones described this upcoming weekend's episode as "The perfect scheme!" so I for one am very excited to see where this goes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s not loading for me for whatever reason, who is “she”?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Larryb posted:

It’s not loading for me for whatever reason, who is “she”?

SHE

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, neat. Kind of curious how they’re going to handle her honestly.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 20, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That image. That title.

Ok, (speculation) I'll admit I didn't predict that the heist would be making Donald having a good date with Daisy. Stealing it from under his bad luck's nose, if you will. Although I see Luck called in the weapons grade reinforcements with the other two Caballeros.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The summary of the episode is that the heist is getting the Caballeros to play at a gala while Donald distracts "the no-nonsense event planner" who I assume is Daisy.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Didn't Webby stowaway into a SHUSH mission in a previous episode, wherein she demonstrated tactical prowess etc, as attempts were clearly made upon her life?? Be pretty hard to beloeve everyone is good as someone's trying to kill you.

Also, Scrooge hating hippies is unshocking, but CANONICALLY, money literally grows on solid-gold trees so he can gently caress off with his right-wing bullshit, and this has further implications for spending, like when Dewey? defunds the magical wards around the Bomby's island. Why does the money need to come from anywhere to where there's funding? Would the Duckworld's agricultural institution really deny Scrooge's request for a money tree?? :thunk:

I appreciate the quality of this show, but their socio-political/economic background is schizophrenic at best.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh I am excited for this!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm kinda mad they revealed the episode poster so early 'cause I don't want to have to wait a whole week for this.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tubgoat posted:

I appreciate the quality of this show, but their socio-political/economic background is schizophrenic at best.

Do you really expect sound leftist ideology from a kids cartoon by a mega corporation?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Do you really expect sound leftist ideology from a kids cartoon by a mega corporation?

About literally the richest person in the world no less

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ikanreed posted:

The episode was, arguably, pro communism what with the merpeople ultimately deciding they don't need a leader and that it's better to work together as a group to rebuild society.

I don't think that was intentional on the part of the writers though, or that you should base your political views entirely on cartoons about talking ducks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Scrooge was right, loving hippies.