Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Blackburn pissed away an interesting premise with a shoddy script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For the horror challenge I followed up Train to Busan with The Bye Bye Man and Deadcon, those two movies are such crap. I need a suggestion for something good to get the acrid taste of terrible out of my mouth. I'm trying to watch all new to me movies, so don't take offense at any vetos.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Thanks!

Also if you enjoy giallo I would really recommend Night Film. It leans more mystery than horror but it's a really awesome book written by someone who you can tell loves horror and giallo in particular. The MC investigates the death of a famous horror director's daughter and the description of all the films are essentially an awesome collection of ideas for unmade giallo films.

I'm reading Night Film right now, and yeah it rules. I still have like 100 pages left but I'm loving it.

Franchescanado posted:

If you've never read Nabakov's Pale Fire, that's an amazing novel. Not outright horror, either, but it's a good spooky little puzzle. It is 999 line poem, supposedly the "completed" final poem by the mysteriously deceased poet John Shade, introduced and annotated by his neighbor and academic colleague, Charles Kinbote, who claims to be the author's best friend and the subject of the poem. It gets pretty weird. Kinbote's an insane character.

Pale Fire might be my favorite novel ever.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

For the horror challenge I followed up Train to Busan with The Bye Bye Man and Deadcon, those two movies are such crap. I need a suggestion for something good to get the acrid taste of terrible out of my mouth. I'm trying to watch all new to me movies, so don't take offense at any vetos.

have you seen The Wailing? I just watched it for the first time for the challenge thread and it's great. Especially recommended if you like Korean films.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

have you seen The Wailing? I just watched it for the first time for the challenge thread and it's great. Especially recommended if you like Korean films.

The Koreans have been killing it, so it's on my list now.
I'm :airquote: working :airquote: from home, so I'll definitely have to watch it when I can devote all my attention.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jesus, the Twilight Zone episode of Shudder's Cursed Films has me in tears. Its an incredibly effective piece on the loving terrible arrogance and recklessness Landis and others were guilty of. I'm kind of wrecked.

I thought the overall series was good and the Crow and Poltergiest episodes were especially good. But this episode is definitely the worthy finale and thing you should see if nothing else. But be warned, its serious and you see footage of the fatal accident.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Didn't Landis go to the funeral of the victims and give a eulogy that was basically "Wow what a tragedy but hey TWILIGHT ZONE MOVIE IN THEATERS NOW!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The episode said he went to all three funerals, insisted on speaking at Morrow's, and basically said "lets take comfort that film lives forever so Vic will never really die."

I never knew Landis was such an rear end. I was just clueless to this stuff and I'm like still shaking.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Landis just released an actual werewolf on the moors and followed some American tourists with a camera to see what would happen.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

STAC Goat posted:

Jesus, the Twilight Zone episode of Shudder's Cursed Films has me in tears. Its an incredibly effective piece on the loving terrible arrogance and recklessness Landis and others were guilty of. I'm kind of wrecked.

I thought the overall series was good and the Crow and Poltergiest episodes were especially good. But this episode is definitely the worthy finale and thing you should see if nothing else. But be warned, its serious and you see footage of the fatal accident.

It just occurred to me I probably should have given a content warning on the footage being shown, sorry. To be honest the show really should have done so and given the viewers a chance to look away if they wanted to. I guess it makes sense to show it (at least from that wide shot, I've seen the closer angle and it disturbed me for years) in the context of Landis getting away with it and still being celebrated in the horror community decades later. Just shocking and angering to see that footage but this could be a full series in of itself.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

STAC Goat posted:

I never knew Landis was such an rear end. I was just clueless to this stuff and I'm like still shaking.

It's out of print and goes for ridiculous prices, but try and track down Outrageous Conduct: Art, Ego and the Twilight Zone Case. It's a good read and I was lucky enough to discover that a library near me had a copy.

And on the subject of Landis and being an rear end, his son Max is also a total failson and a psychotic rapist and serial abuser of women.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

It just occurred to me I probably should have given a content warning on the footage being shown, sorry. To be honest the show really should have done so and given the viewers a chance to look away if they wanted to. I guess it makes sense to show it (at least from that wide shot, I've seen the closer angle and it disturbed me for years) in the context of Landis getting away with it and still being celebrated in the horror community decades later. Just shocking and angering to see that footage but this could be a full series in of itself.

I was fully familiar with how it all went down before starting the episode but I was still shocked they dropped that footage in there like that. Not the chillest way to start my Sunday morning. Good series though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol, "stop talking like Donald Trump tweets" - Tom Riley, Badder Ben

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol, "stop talking like Donald Trump tweets" - Tom Riley, Badder Ben

How many Ben movies are there by now? Also are any of them even close to watchable?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

King Vidiot posted:

And on the subject of Landis and being an rear end, his son Max is also a total failson and a psychotic rapist and serial abuser of women.

It’s kind of unfortunate that Mel Brooks also named his son Max because I keep getting them confused. Max Brooks hasn’t done anything horrible right?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

It’s kind of unfortunate that Mel Brooks also named his son Max because I keep getting them confused. Max Brooks hasn’t done anything horrible right?

Are we counting World War Z?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Franchescanado posted:

Are we counting World War Z?

No, I liked that book when I read it aeons ago.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BisonDollah posted:

I agree they probably should have put up a content warning but in their defense there was a big buildup to it. They never said "we're about to show footage of people dying" but there was a good long time I was sitting there thinking "Wait, are they...?" and could have turned away. But still, be warned if you watch it. They do go there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

OpenSourceBurger posted:

How many Ben movies are there by now? Also are any of them even close to watchable?

There's 7 (I'm on the third, Badder Ben). I like 1 and this third one is enjoyable, 2 was really really bad.

They're extremely low budget but have some charm to them. If you're a big fan of found footage I'd say give them a whirl, otherwise you probably won't find too much to enjoy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OpenSourceBurger posted:

There are 7 Bad Ben films, and the watchable ones are 1,3,6, & 7. Those get progressively better, as the series transitions into horror-comedy.

The whole thing is basically a mix of Paranormal Activity 2, the Evil Dead Trilogy, and Doom House.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

The Senator Giroux posted:

Ill second House of Leaves. I read it in high school, thought it was fine, then read it last year (which was...15 years later? Jesus) And loved it.

Not really a horror novel, but Pattern Recognition might fit in those boxes. It’s also insanely prescient with viral videos and stuff, especially for a book that came out in 2002.

And there’s also the Ring series.

I’ve been meaning to read the Ring series for a while now, but from reading about them on Wikipedia it sounds like the sequels get absolutely buck wild

The film of Spiral is certainly interesting, but not all all like the original

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BisonDollah posted:

It would be a great American Crime Story, but Hollywood has been pretty good at, for the most part, covering up this entire story and history despite it being incredibly important to the tightening of guidelines and rules for stuntmen and women across the industry and heightening safety standards across the board.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Tonight I’m all about “part 3’s” and tonight’s double bill has been HellRaiser 3 and I’m currently watching House 3, so far it’s very different to the previous two films in the series and I’m pretty sure it can’t beat part 2’s attic pterodactyl but I’m giving it a shot.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I don't have Shudder, but if someone wants to elaborate on the Cursed Films episode about The Crow, I'm all eyes. Way back before it was in wide-release, James O'Barr was touring the country with his own print of the film for select audiences. I got to attend one of the first screenings in Boston and the dude was kind of an emotional wreck. O'Barr did his best to put on a brave face and talk about how the film owed everything to Brandon Lee's performance but it was pretty clear that he blamed himself for the accident. Sounds like the complete opposite of Landis.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'd say that House is the better movie, but man I have to give House 2 props for going Full Goonies. Or Half Gremlins 2.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

King Vidiot posted:

I'd say that House is the better movie, but man I have to give House 2 props for going Full Goonies. Or Half Gremlins 2.

I love both (and the Arrow discs are amazing) and a movie being half Gremlins 2 has to be the greatest compliment ever.

House 3 seems to have more in common with Shocker....

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stryder posted:

I don't have Shudder, but if someone wants to elaborate on the Cursed Films episode about The Crow, I'm all eyes. Way back before it was in wide-release, James O'Barr was touring the country with his own print of the film for select audiences. I got to attend one of the first screenings in Boston and the dude was kind of an emotional wreck. O'Barr did his best to put on a brave face and talk about how the film owed everything to Brandon Lee's performance but it was pretty clear that he blamed himself for the accident. Sounds like the complete opposite of Landis.

O'Barr's not in it. The first half of the episode talks up Brandon Lee as a future star, talks about the urban legends around Bruce Lee's death and Bruce's father believing the family men were cursed, and all the work put into Michael Berryman's aborted Skull Cowboy role. Then they describe Lee's death, explain how the accident happened, and the decision to finish it and compromises they made. The two main talking heads were Jeff Most the producer and Lance Anderson the Special Effects/Make Up artist and both were clearly still shaken up and felt a ton of guilt over it. They also mentioned how Michael Matthew, the actor who pulled the trigger, was destroyed by it and felt responsible. It just really seemed like everyone involved was torn apart by guilt over it and they only finished the movie because Lee's fiance and mother gave them their blessing and they wanted to honor Lee's performance and how it inspired future stuff like The Matrix and Heath Ledger's Joker.

So yeah, the opposite of Landis.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I go back and forth when I read about that. It seems like it was a really unsafe and bad idea they had with the blanks they used, but by all accounts everyone involved was loving devastated by it and no one seems to have been blamed. Again the opposite of Landis basically being a loving ghoul rear end in a top hat.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OpenSourceBurger posted:

I go back and forth when I read about that. It seems like it was a really unsafe and bad idea they had with the blanks they used, but by all accounts everyone involved was loving devastated by it and no one seems to have been blamed. Again the opposite of Landis basically being a loving ghoul rear end in a top hat.

Michael Berryman makes a pretty strongly worded statement where he implicates the production company cutting costs as the ultimate cause. Something about how they fired the original firearms expert that they had on set and hired a local because it was cheaper, and that guy was overworked and made the critical mistake that eventually led to the accident.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems like the difference between a genuine gently caress up and just willful disregard. Obviously someone hosed up terribly with The Crow but it seems like the sort of small, one person not thinking something through or being tired one day or whatever mistake that people make. It just ended tragically. But the Twilight Zone thing presents like Landis had every opportunity to know the scene was reckless and dangerous and just kept pushing ahead because he wanted the biggest, flashiest thing. Everyone in the Shudder episode insists they were concerned and red flags were raising everywhere, which could be them covering their asses and letting Landis take all the blame, but it just seems like such an extreme case.

One tragedy sounds like someone low on the chain screwing up and the other is the guy at the top doing something hugely dangerous with no concern about the risk. It just feels way different to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Landis also doesn't seem to give a poo poo. Like from what I heard Spielberg only decided to end their friendship after talking to him and realizing he felt no guilt at all and was just annoyed at the repercussions it was going to have for his career and the lawsuit.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I'll say one thing for Max Landis, he hasn't killed anyone at least.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
FOLKS,

Thread darling The Kill Count has just uploaded a wonderfully appropriate video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcljSYCKVk

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OpenSourceBurger posted:

I'll say one thing for Max Landis, he hasn't killed anyone at least.

Yet

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:hmmyes:

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

COOL CORN posted:

FOLKS,

Thread darling The Kill Count has just uploaded a wonderfully appropriate video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcljSYCKVk

Hey does The Kill Count count as a horror podcast? They have a side series labeled as such. If they do count then they are probably top 5 horror podcasts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is so fuckin cool.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Hey does The Kill Count count as a horror podcast? They have a side series labeled as such. If they do count then they are probably top 5 horror podcasts.

Absolutely, they talk about horror movies and they're a podcast

Also the Evil Bong episode has a surprising amount of interesting info about the production.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Speaking of horror podcasts, if you're looking for something to listen to while working at home try Knifepoint Horror: https://knifepointhorror.libsyn.com/

I consider it the Channel Zero of horror podcasts. It's not near as well know as the biggies like Tanis, Black Tapes or Nightvale but I'd say it's better than them all.

It's just good old fashioned horror stories told by a drat good narrator but every story is deeply haunting and disturbing in a very original way I can't describe. It might be the hands down scariest podcast currently anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is so fuckin cool.

I'm going through the extras on all my horror boutique blu rays, so if I find any other cool things like that, I'll post it.