Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I just want to be clear on how clean that cut is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It's kind of a neat reproductive strategy and like the ultimate in parental sacrifice-use my dead body as food. Except I guess it's not really parental sacrifice since it is the same tree just growing itself new parts?

Vegetative propagation and the 'are seeds alive' question will always be the coolest thing about plants to me.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Speaking of crape myrles, this is one I saw when we went to Pensacola, FL earlier this year. The historic parts of Pensacola were really pretty. I have never seen an orange tree in person before and a few houses had them in their front yards, with fruit still attached.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

I just want to be clear on how clean that cut is.

It isnt clean though? I don't get it. Edit: Oh you mean like all the way through lol, yea

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

ReapersTouch posted:

Speaking of crape myrles, this is one I saw when we went to Pensacola, FL earlier this year. The historic parts of Pensacola were really pretty. I have never seen an orange tree in person before and a few houses had them in their front yards, with fruit still attached.

Now THAT is a good looking crape myrtle.

boraxlorax
Apr 2, 2011
Does anyone know a reputable place that is selling kaffir lime trees to deliver to northeastern U.S.? Or is it too late for that?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

boraxlorax posted:

Does anyone know a reputable place that is selling kaffir lime trees to deliver to northeastern U.S.? Or is it too late for that?

Territorial Seed has them in their catalog at least.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ReapersTouch posted:

I have never seen an orange tree in person before and a few houses had them in their front yards, with fruit still attached.

This was me in Scottsdale, AZ about a decade ago. Except replace “a few houses” with “almost every house”.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks for all the info! I'm zone 8 bordering on 9 (15 % of years we get no frost, 15% it gets down to 18-20F, and 70% we get a light but killing 28F frost). I can get away with really tender stuff for a few years until a hard frost kills them (looking at you grapefruit :arg:)

There are a few old fashioned peonies that I think do okay in the deep south, (festiva maxima is the one I can remember) but I think it's just too hot and swampy here on the coast for them to make it through the summer, and they take a few years to get established. Auburn was trialing some tree peonies for the south but I can't find any updated info on that. That said, I've never actually tried to grow them here, so maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. I'm unfortunately a lazy gardener that isn't super likely to remember to lift and refrigerate my peonies overwinter. If they can't make it without regular intervention, they're probably not gonna make it in my yard. I planted foxgloves once and hoped they'd be perrennial, but no dice. I did plant a chinese foxglove that was pretty but got kind of invasive so I pulled it, but now that I know how rampant it will run I might try it again.

I'm not sure if hazel will grow here or not. I looked into it a few years ago to plant for nuts, and it seemed like it was sort of marginal, for making nuts down here. But if I just wanted a crazy tree and didn't care if it made nuts, that might work-super cool plant in any case! I saw a weeping baldcypress once that had a similar thing going on.

Does the baptisia rebloom or is it a one time thing?

I wonder if the peonies could be grown in dappled shade for a year or two before being let loose on the sun. It's humid/hot as gently caress here in NC summer and ours do pretty well. We also have some that are more or less completely shaded by a magnolia for most of the day and they've been coming along okay, one even making a tiny bud this year. I'm just surprised that they're such a pain in 8 vs 7. I've seen them on the coast of NC, granted not as common as here but still survivable.

Foxgloves aren't perennial at all. They're biennial, so all those little plants I mentioned are just like little sprouts of leaves right now. They will sit there and slowly get bigger over the course of this year, evergreen through winter, and bloom all at once next year. Then they will all go to seed and die to a man. I used to just consider foxgloves to be a beloved annual that I was 100% going to buy one of every year but now that I understand the cycle I'm just going to have a rotating cast of blooms and developing plants.

Can't see why the hazelnut wouldn't grow there. It's in the most intense sun on the property and also experiences the aforementioned humidity. I feel lke it can really take a beating. I think almost all of them are sterile and dont make nuts, but ours made a couple last year :toot:

BAPTISIA

Baptisia are ultimate perennials. They come back stronger and bigger every year, forming a big rear end beautiful clump that does not spread aggressively. I'm not sure they can truly die once established; the nursery that we got one of them from said that they discovered the cultivar in a Texas field that got clear cut on the regular year after year, but the baptisia would not be deterred. Can survive drought, flood, gently caress it, I think the ground needs to freeze for it to get got, and even then theres some that live in zone 4. It's a baller fuckin plant that can take whatever you can throw at it and still make an amazing display every year

https://www.plantdelights.com/collections/baptisia-australis-false-indigo here's a nursery near me that has a huge selection of them that you can see for pictures to bet a better idea of their growth habit and range of color. If you want to get one, I'm sure somewhere more local has them available because plant delights is $$$. For me, baptisia are top tier native

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OK. Spring. Spring is loving.

Lol at all those bluebells, though. I pulled a whole lot out last year, and they just came back with a vengeance. I think some of the bulbs have buried themselves 10" deep or more. Ah well, there's a high chance we're moving out of this place soon and the garden will go back into deep neglect, and bluebells are good at taking care of themselves.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Oh yeah, remember last Autumn when people were posting about mass-plantings of tulips? Well I got to see the city parks board putting in this:

It's on my bike commute to work, but obviously I'm not going to work right now, so I need to make a point to swing by again and see if the tulips have opened more.

When they put it in, they got a truck that looked a bit like a cement truck, except it was piping out compost, which was pretty cool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oil of Paris posted:

The growth habit and cultivation history of it was so fascinating to me. it was the genesis of me getting into weird and unusual plants

Do you have any graft chimæras?

I’ve thought about starting a collection of those.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hey I haven’t checked on my goji bushes in awhile. Let’s see how those are doing.

Oh wow, they’re all doing really g-:catstare:

:catstare::catstare::catstare:

At first I was wondering if there might be parasitic bugs eating the roots or something, but on closer inspection, the branches look to have been deliberately cut, which can only mean one thing...

... our dumbass gardener tried to cut the poor thing down. He’s done poo poo like this before with a bunch of our other plants, so this is not at all surprising. :argh:

I have since put a decorative landscape divider around all of them in an attempt to drive home the “DO NOT loving CUT HERE” message, but I’m curious... is this salvageable? Can I still save this bush? Or do I need to get ready to order another one? Because I don’t remember which of the two varieties I got this one is.

Also how do I say “DO NOT CUT THESE PLANTS! or you’re fired” in Spanish? The gardener is Mexican and he has a history of repeatedly cutting down the same plants even after being told not to, so I might need to put that on a sign to be safe.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

I. M. Gei posted:

Hey I haven’t checked on my goji bushes in awhile. Let’s see how those are doing.

Oh wow, they’re all doing really g-:catstare:

:catstare::catstare::catstare:

At first I was wondering if there might be parasitic bugs eating the roots or something, but on closer inspection, the branches look to have been deliberately cut, which can only mean one thing...

... our dumbass gardener tried to cut the poor thing down. He’s done poo poo like this before with a bunch of our other plants, so this is not at all surprising. :argh:

I have since put a decorative landscape divider around all of them in an attempt to drive home the “DO NOT loving CUT HERE” message, but I’m curious... is this salvageable? Can I still save this bush? Or do I need to get ready to order another one? Because I don’t remember which of the two varieties I got this one is.

Also how do I say “DO NOT CUT THESE PLANTS! or you’re fired” in Spanish? The gardener is Mexican and he has a history of repeatedly cutting down the same plants even after being told not to, so I might need to put that on a sign to be safe.

Excuse my broken Spanish, someone can likely do a better job than me

"Por favor, no se corta estás plantas, son especiales. Si corta ellas, entonces no vas trabajar aquí.¿ Me entiendes?"

If you need it shorter and on a sign then

"No corta, mis plantas muy especiales"

It's a little blunt and ultimatum-y but it's better than google

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That kind of looks to me like the plant was already struggling/had died back and then someone cut off the dead wood, which would be the right thing to do. Often when a plant is stressed (like right after it has been transplanted) it can't support all of its branches so it sort of abandons them and retreats back to the bottom of the trunk and puts out new growth from there. Preventing this is why pruning back recently transplanted stuff before it leafs out is recommended-it keeps the root/shoot ratio in balance.

Could be deer nibbling on your plant too if you have deer in your neighborhood.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Looks more like animal damage than clean cuts from a clipper. It could be the perfidious bunny, newly emboldened now that the noble cats have been driven away

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Oil of Paris posted:

Looks more like animal damage than clean cuts from a clipper. It could be the perfidious bunny, newly emboldened now that the noble cats have been driven away

Yea I agree, doesnt look cut to me

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm got a mock lime tree in my back garden and I was wondering if it would be possible to graft some meyer lemon cuttings into it or kaffir lime cuttings so I could get some fruit without having to re-configure my garden to make room for another tree.

I haven't done any grafting before, would that even work really?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

You guys got any favorite gardening YouTube channels? I've been watching HortTube for awhile now and he's very knowledgeable about a variety of plants.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

ReapersTouch posted:

You guys got any favorite gardening YouTube channels? I've been watching HortTube for awhile now and he's very knowledgeable about a variety of plants.

I watch "self sustainable me" for plant reccomendations and his fun little experiments

I envy his lifestyle but don't really like his persona

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ReapersTouch posted:

John Lord, runs a garden centre in Ireland.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc1hdKqCEwZqZYNjKitAlaQ

Summer Rayne Oake if you want indoor plants
https://www.youtube.com/user/summerrayneoakes

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The ants in my patio herb garden and definitely using/helping the mealybugs. Is this something I need to stamp out?

I’ve tried organic pyrethrum based sprays (doesn’t seem to do anything to the mealybugs, maybe slow them down?), ant bait (works well for a few days then the ants come back) and isopropyl alcohol directly on the mealybugs (loving painful as the more you do it the more you find).

My Vietnamese Coriander/Mint seems to be doing fine (just started flowering! Which I hear is rare) and the mealybugs seem pretty contained to that plant.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Could be deer nibbling on your plant too if you have deer in your neighborhood.

Oil of Paris posted:

We don’t have deer or rabbits anywhere close to my neighborhood, or any other possible plant-eating animals.

Plus if there was an animal eating the bush, it probably would’ve eaten the other 3 goji bushes right next to it too, and not just the one.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea I agree, doesnt look cut to me

Not with scissors, no. Our gardener does use a weed-whacker/string trimmer around that area though, and cuts from those things tend to look like that, so I’m thinking that’s what did it.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

ReapersTouch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jcraulstonarb/videos this channel tends to err on the academic but the videos are really in-depth and the speakers have an incredible amount of knowledge. the tours of the arboretum are pretty fun too. its been nice during the quarantine to have a vast store of hour long videos that really teach you a great deal about plants

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Do you have any graft chimæras?

I’ve thought about starting a collection of those.

Haven't gotten into stuff like that yet, I've been way more inclined to look for naturally occurring unique sports, crossbreeds, and unusual, underused plants. I can see getting into the chimaeras but for now I'm more interested in how weird plants can get when left to their own devices, with a little encouragement of course

Here's another yellow baptisia in different spot in the front, can of Natty for height reference. By the time I remembered that I wanted a pic of the bigger one, the light really sucked for where it is and the pictures looked bad

The big baptisia from the first pic has probably triple the shoots that this one has, but this guy is still a good example of the growth habit. I'm also particularly pleased with it because it was very lame looking last year when slugs/snails got on the initial sprouts and ate the tops very early in spring. This gave it a real schizophrenic, multi-stemmed growth with like two flacid flowers towers lol, so I'm glad he bounced back so hard this time around. Hoping next year he has The Will To Power like the other one and goes wild

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jestery posted:

I watch "self sustainable me" for plant reccomendations and his fun little experiments

I envy his lifestyle but don't really like his persona

Self Sufficient Me is a good channel for getting ideas and I like how a lot of his projects are experiments. Like you said his persona rubs me the wrong way, surprisingly enough for a gardening YouTuber he's a conservative climate change denier.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

John Lord, runs a garden centre in Ireland.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc1hdKqCEwZqZYNjKitAlaQ

Summer Rayne Oake if you want indoor plants
https://www.youtube.com/user/summerrayneoakes

Oil of Paris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jcraulstonarb/videos this channel tends to err on the academic but the videos are really in-depth and the speakers have an incredible amount of knowledge. the tours of the arboretum are pretty fun too. its been nice during the quarantine to have a vast store of hour long videos that really teach you a great deal about plants

Thanks for the recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXXKLYf_tz_1cssixclHgnw/videos This is the link for Horttube

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Senor Tron posted:

Self Sufficient Me is a good channel for getting ideas and I like how a lot of his projects are experiments. Like you said his persona rubs me the wrong way, surprisingly enough for a gardening YouTuber he's a conservative climate change denier.

The gently caress?! Wasn’t he severely affected by the fires several months ago as well?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
We've lived in our house (New Jersey) for about three years now, and aside from some half-assed starts, I haven't done nearly as much as I should with the potential gardening space we have. Part of that I blame on the fact that like all old houses, this one's previous owners decided they just loving loved lovely plants. The only things we have/had on the property were a metric fuckton of ivy, a lot of periwinkle, a privet hedgerow, and some random hostas and bulb plants that I almost think are there by accident rather than any effort. We also have the problem of having almost no full sun anywhere once all the trees grow their leaves except in the front where we keep our vegetable planters.

My first effort to get rid of the ivy was ripping it out of a side plot a couple years ago. Somehow I managed to do a good enough job that it hasn't noticeably come back since then. But my attempts at actually growing things there have been relatively unsuccessful. I've had several plants just die. I didn't do anything to the soil, so I'm wondering if it's just not great.

Our property line basically goes down the middle of this - the bigger plants are all our neighbor's. The mulched area used to be entirely ivy. I planted the two small clumps of some type of grass (I don't even remember what) a couple years ago and they're still hanging on. Some new growth this year, which is encouraging. I also have two silver ferns that are coming back, a couple hostas, and something else I don't recall the name of. I tried some hakone grass. One died and the other is smaller each year but is making an effort.

This spring I tore up a smaller mixed patch of ivy and periwinkle and direct sowed some wildflowers.

The red stuff is red pepper flakes to try to deter the squirrels a bit. You can see they've been having their way anyway. Still stuff is coming up and I think it will be a nice plot in the future.

To the left is the big challenge:

I'm not ready to tackle it this year. I think I'll just have to try to do it in phases. Aside from the scale, the problem is that it runs down a steep slope to the street:

I need a way to remove it but also keep everything from sliding off at the first hint of rain.

In the meantime, the back is my project this year:

The privet hedge. Below that was covered in ivy a few weeks ago. The are still main stems in the ground behind it, so it'll come back. Note also the random cluster of hostas, which I love so I'll keep those. There's also a couple bluebells to the left, and an assortment of daphodils and crocuses spread throughout the yard. In the future I want to pull out all of those privets and plant something. Maybe azaleas? I want a native shrub that will get roughly the same height.

The next couple weeks I'm going to be yanking out all the ivy along this fence:

There's a nice little flowering dogwood for some reason, but I really like having it. The neighbor on that side is a gardener and said she'd take care of the ivy on her side as long as I was clearing it on ours. Yesterday I did that weird corner.

The ground underneath is kind of gross and is filled with roots, bricks, and some plastic sheeting that somehow is under the roots, which suggests it was there for a long time. I might have to dump some soil on top of this, I want to turn it into a native shade garden. I bought a couple lady in red ferns and foam flowers to start. I'm planning on doing maybe wild ginger for ground cover. There's actually a lot of space here so it could really be something special if I can get things to work.

Sorry for the long post/image dump, but being home full time now has me becoming kind of obsessed with trying to get things looking better. If anyone has suggestions for how to improve the beds or plants that might work well, I'm all ears.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

z0331 posted:

We've lived in our house (New Jersey) for about three years now, and aside from some half-assed starts, I haven't done nearly as much as I should with the potential gardening space we have. Part of that I blame on the fact that like all old houses, this one's previous owners decided they just loving loved lovely plants. The only things we have/had on the property were a metric fuckton of ivy, a lot of periwinkle, a privet hedgerow, and some random hostas and bulb plants that I almost think are there by accident rather than any effort. We also have the problem of having almost no full sun anywhere once all the trees grow their leaves except in the front where we keep our vegetable planters.

My first effort to get rid of the ivy was ripping it out of a side plot a couple years ago. Somehow I managed to do a good enough job that it hasn't noticeably come back since then. But my attempts at actually growing things there have been relatively unsuccessful. I've had several plants just die. I didn't do anything to the soil, so I'm wondering if it's just not great.

Our property line basically goes down the middle of this - the bigger plants are all our neighbor's. The mulched area used to be entirely ivy. I planted the two small clumps of some type of grass (I don't even remember what) a couple years ago and they're still hanging on. Some new growth this year, which is encouraging. I also have two silver ferns that are coming back, a couple hostas, and something else I don't recall the name of. I tried some hakone grass. One died and the other is smaller each year but is making an effort.

This spring I tore up a smaller mixed patch of ivy and periwinkle and direct sowed some wildflowers.

The red stuff is red pepper flakes to try to deter the squirrels a bit. You can see they've been having their way anyway. Still stuff is coming up and I think it will be a nice plot in the future.

To the left is the big challenge:

I'm not ready to tackle it this year. I think I'll just have to try to do it in phases. Aside from the scale, the problem is that it runs down a steep slope to the street:

I need a way to remove it but also keep everything from sliding off at the first hint of rain.

In the meantime, the back is my project this year:

The privet hedge. Below that was covered in ivy a few weeks ago. The are still main stems in the ground behind it, so it'll come back. Note also the random cluster of hostas, which I love so I'll keep those. There's also a couple bluebells to the left, and an assortment of daphodils and crocuses spread throughout the yard. In the future I want to pull out all of those privets and plant something. Maybe azaleas? I want a native shrub that will get roughly the same height.

The next couple weeks I'm going to be yanking out all the ivy along this fence:

There's a nice little flowering dogwood for some reason, but I really like having it. The neighbor on that side is a gardener and said she'd take care of the ivy on her side as long as I was clearing it on ours. Yesterday I did that weird corner.

The ground underneath is kind of gross and is filled with roots, bricks, and some plastic sheeting that somehow is under the roots, which suggests it was there for a long time. I might have to dump some soil on top of this, I want to turn it into a native shade garden. I bought a couple lady in red ferns and foam flowers to start. I'm planning on doing maybe wild ginger for ground cover. There's actually a lot of space here so it could really be something special if I can get things to work.

Sorry for the long post/image dump, but being home full time now has me becoming kind of obsessed with trying to get things looking better. If anyone has suggestions for how to improve the beds or plants that might work well, I'm all ears.

Nah, this sort of think is really interesting and I think you have a lot of potential here. What zone and region are you in?

Do you have the means to try and terrace that front slope? You could gain a whole lot of room to garden and it would look a whole lot better than that ivy.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Solkanar512 posted:

Nah, this sort of think is really interesting and I think you have a lot of potential here. What zone and region are you in?

Do you have the means to try and terrace that front slope? You could gain a whole lot of room to garden and it would look a whole lot better than that ivy.

We're in 6a/6b - New Jersey suburbs, just outside NYC.

I've thought about terraces but got scared off at how much work it seemed like it would be. On the flipside, as you say it would be a ton of good gardening space and could look amazing from the street. Is terracing even something that could be reasonably DIY? I'm not sure we'd have the money to hire it out for a while.

The ivy is hideous and I hate it, but I can sympathize somewhat with planting it on the hill since it requires no care or maintenance outside of cutting it back. I also am hoping getting rid of it will cut down on the mosquitoes a little.

Edit: I think we'd probably need to hire someone regardless. Even if I wanted to try it on my own, it slopes down to the street and no way would I want to risk anything falling/sliding off while someone walks by.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 20, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We have several of these popping up in our currently-ugly perennial garden: a long stick-stalk about 18" tall with leaves at the top.

Are they what I think they are? (Maples?)

I think garden centers may still be closed here. It's way too early to be planting anything, but I'm really itchy to get started--and simultaneously not optimistic about being able to do much of anything this year. :( But some of my strawberries overwintered, and the catnip, and the celery; our leeks look fine, our blush raspberries are budding, the rhubarb looks happy; and most surprising of all, my lone carnation came back for the first time ever. :3: Nice little pop of color in a gray world.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

z0331 posted:

We're in 6a/6b - New Jersey suburbs, just outside NYC.

I've thought about terraces but got scared off at how much work it seemed like it would be. On the flipside, as you say it would be a ton of good gardening space and could look amazing from the street. Is terracing even something that could be reasonably DIY? I'm not sure we'd have the money to hire it out for a while.

The ivy is hideous and I hate it, but I can sympathize somewhat with planting it on the hill since it requires no care or maintenance outside of cutting it back. I also am hoping getting rid of it will cut down on the mosquitoes a little.

Edit: I think we'd probably need to hire someone regardless. Even if I wanted to try it on my own, it slopes down to the street and no way would I want to risk anything falling/sliding off while someone walks by.

Yeah, given that you’re talking about structural issues, discretion may be the better part of valor. But if you have the time and money to do it right, it would really look incredible.

Also, since you were talking about zone 6 and shade, how do you feel about ornamental maples?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, given that you’re talking about structural issues, discretion may be the better part of valor. But if you have the time and money to do it right, it would really look incredible.

Also, since you were talking about zone 6 and shade, how do you feel about ornamental maples?

I like them very much, especially after seeing some posts in this thread. I was considering doing a dwarf potted one on our back deck, but hadn't really thought about planting one. This is mostly because I wasn't really sure where to put it. A lot of the beds we do have are difficult to dig large holes in because of how many roots/trees there already are.

There's apparently a nursery about 45 minutes away that has a good selection of them that I've wanted to go to.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

z0331 posted:

I like them very much, especially after seeing some posts in this thread. I was considering doing a dwarf potted one on our back deck, but hadn't really thought about planting one. This is mostly because I wasn't really sure where to put it. A lot of the beds we do have are difficult to dig large holes in because of how many roots/trees there already are.

There's apparently a nursery about 45 minutes away that has a good selection of them that I've wanted to go to.

One of us

“Iijima Sunago”

One of us

“Tobiosho”

I have around ten of these (maybe nine if verticillium takes my small Bihou), and I buy the gallons, put them in pots until they’re larger and put them in my yard later. I have a ton of sun so I’m starting with larger growing varieties and then over the years will add shade loving dwarfs underneath.

The next time you happen to go to that nursery, take some pics of the ones you like the shape/color of and I can give you a list of cultivars to look out for. They’re really easy to care for, don’t require a ton of fertilizer and look great every season of the year.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Even if you buy them in gallon size, be prepared for a little sticker shock with Japanese maples. Beauty ain't cheap, especially when it's slow growing and hard to propagate.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I've been doing a lot of cactus grafts lately, and thought I'd share a pretty good success story...

I sowed some San Pedro seeds late last year and noticed one of the tiny seedlings looked like it lacked chlorophyll. It wasn't going to survive on its own roots for long, so I did a seedling graft. Here it is on 16 November:

It took to the graft, and since I had used a vigorous rootstock (Pereskiopsis, just about the fastest growing cactus of all), its growth started taking off. Here it is a month later, on 16 December:

It kept going and about a month later, although it was putting on lots of growth, I noticed that a fungal infection had taken hold at the graft join. I was going to need to perform emergency surgery. This is what it looked like before surgery on January 6:

I cut it off the graft and regrafted to a more permanent rootstock (still no chlorophyll, so it can't survive on its own roots). The surgery was a success, and here it is today:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
That’s super cool.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Even if you buy them in gallon size, be prepared for a little sticker shock with Japanese maples. Beauty ain't cheap, especially when it's slow growing and hard to propagate.

This is unfortunately quite true. Around here, the pre-sale price at a nursery for common cultivars (rather than just "red" or "green") are around $30, and harder to find ones are around $40. Anything larger quickly goes up to $75-90 for a 2-3 gallon and up to $150 for a 5-8 gallon plant. 20-30% off sales do happen from time to time so that's when I tend to buy.

If you're looking for primarily color, consider something like a cultivar vine maple. Similar price, but they grow a good deal faster. Acer circinatum "Pacific Fire" is a popular example here. The bark ranges from yellow-orange to deep red on the newest growth and the leaves come out in rainbow colors.

Solkanar512 posted:

Random pic of new growth on one of my maples.

This is a vine maple (Acer circinatum) cultivar called “Pacific Fire”. It’s crazy how the leaves change because the parts of the leaves exposed to the sun seem to change first.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

The ants in my patio herb garden and definitely using/helping the mealybugs. Is this something I need to stamp out?

I’ve tried organic pyrethrum based sprays (doesn’t seem to do anything to the mealybugs, maybe slow them down?), ant bait (works well for a few days then the ants come back) and isopropyl alcohol directly on the mealybugs (loving painful as the more you do it the more you find).

My Vietnamese Coriander/Mint seems to be doing fine (just started flowering! Which I hear is rare) and the mealybugs seem pretty contained to that plant.

Ok I think I have figured out the problem! Turns out pyrethrum breaks down completely in water in about 24 hours. So I had been mixing from my concentrate and using it over a month which meant it probably only worked the first time and then did nothing after that.

I’m going to just mix what I need for that spray session tonight and see how I go.