Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

tell him to make more loving RECOs, I'm kinda worried he stopped doing them for good to focus on the much more "broad appeal" HAS which also has the RECO functionality but is useless to people with cabs

e: actually seriously if you're in contact with him ask nicely if he plans to do more RECOs please I've already asked last year and don't want to bother him but maybe it will remind him

He does RECOs on a batch-buy basis. You need like 10? people I believe as he doesn't sell enough to make doing a run worthwhile was the answer last time I asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

d0s posted:

I make low-mid 5 figures and still manage to have a good selection of PCBs and now own most of the boards I've wanted, all it takes is knowing how/where to get deals and what stuff is really worth, and not spending a cent on other entertainment/etc outside the hobby. you have to completely shun the normie life and go all in

Arcade_doomer.txt

There's a couple of arcade/route servicers in state that probably have a warehouse of boards -- I just need to turn the screws on and see what I can get for the low. Unless there's someone with more money and time than I have in state with the exact same thought who already bought everything 2 years ago. It's like the pvm/bvm rush of the last few years who've now migrated to the ultra high end consumer crts.

Though with a total economic collapse looming, maybe I can catch a bargain here and there.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

2reachmu posted:

...Unless there's someone with more money and time than I have in state with the exact same thought who already bought everything 2 years ago...

This happens more often than you can think and a few posters in this thread could share piles of stories as you can't escape lovely assholes.

Also regarding hitting up a distribution route - unless you befriend the person who manages the inventory you won't get anywhere and even then distributors are a pure profit driven company. They don't care if you want a board or game if it's still making money and it's far easier to just recycle things than bother with selling for most of them. The arcade boom already happened it was well before the retro boom as a whole. Games that were $10-20 10 years ago now net an easy $100-200. Take Pit Fighter or WWE Superstars for example - back in the early 00s people couldn't get rid of these games fast enough as they were the SMB1 of arcade pcbs and now they're both $100 games.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

flyboi posted:

This happens more often than you can think and a few posters in this thread could share piles of stories as you can't escape lovely assholes.

Also regarding hitting up a distribution route - unless you befriend the person who manages the inventory you won't get anywhere and even then distributors are a pure profit driven company. They don't care if you want a board or game if it's still making money and it's far easier to just recycle things than bother with selling for most of them. The arcade boom already happened it was well before the retro boom as a whole. Games that were $10-20 10 years ago now net an easy $100-200. Take Pit Fighter or WWE Superstars for example - back in the early 00s people couldn't get rid of these games fast enough as they were the SMB1 of arcade pcbs and now they're both $100 games.

I remember going to a weird storefront/warehouse in town that had a bunch of beater cabs during the recession (they were closing the space and consolidating) and trying to see what kind of stuff they were selling. Most of which was a metric fuckton of kiddie rides from a ton of different eras. Some cool metallic-paint buggy looking ones and then a full fleet of Walmart truck rides.

I ended up grabbing some random CPO parts for some stupid diy MAME cabinet I was thinking I'd build. Certainly nothing of value, like the SNK rotaries, 49-ways or any of the Wico 360s/optical buttons. Walked away from a ton of stuff. Mainly because I was injured, out of work and broke. Largely I didn't really know what I was looking at etc. Though I was inches from a ok condition stand up Outrun and I really regret not getting it for ~200$.

You kinda have to get intro'd to the scene to really start having an eye for it I think. Unless you just want some random cabinet, which is probably going to be a Street Fighter derivative or an MVS with Puzzle Bobble and a Metal Slug. I mean I do now but I'm still just about as broke hahaha.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

Take Pit Fighter or WWE Superstars for example - back in the early 00s people couldn't get rid of these games fast enough as they were the SMB1 of arcade pcbs and now they're both $100 games.

I've seen Vigilante go for over $100 which is mindblowing to me because it was always the definition of "$20 PCB" to me for a long time, even after the boom in arcade prices. The dumb thing is I actually wanted that board out of nostalgia from having the TG16 game as a kid, but always put it off because I figured it would always be cheap

e: the distribution route side of things is mostly for people looking for US style cabinets, if you're only interested in PCBs then it becomes easier by just learning what forums have good sales boards and how to use Japanese auction sites

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

2reachmu posted:

Arcade_doomer.txt

There's a couple of arcade/route servicers in state that probably have a warehouse of boards -- I just need to turn the screws on and see what I can get for the low. Unless there's someone with more money and time than I have in state with the exact same thought who already bought everything 2 years ago. It's like the pvm/bvm rush of the last few years who've now migrated to the ultra high end consumer crts.

Though with a total economic collapse looming, maybe I can catch a bargain here and there.

flyboi posted:

theres a reason why :retrogames: is named the way it is

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Pit Fighter is amazing, and should be in EVERY PCB collection. There is one on FB right now for $30 plus shipping. I'd say grab it if you don't have it already...

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

pit fighter is definitely not my jam (I am a violence fight man) but it's an important part of early 90's american arcade culture and should be in any self respecting throwback arcade

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

It's very much the reason I compulsively stand on pallet jacks and flex everytime I come into proximity of one.

Edit: Arcade Thread: Compulsively flexing on pallet jacks.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Which aged worse:

Pit-Fighter or Guardians of the 'Hood?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Only time I saw a cab like this one in the wild was like 20 years ago in a small arcade in a seedy, run down mall in NH and it had Dead or Alive in it. I was too tall to sit down in the seat without my knees hitting the control panel so it might not have been this exact one.

Also if I had an arcade cab I would choose something like Point Blank 2, even though I assume the upkeep on a light gun cab is more of a hassle than normal.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d0s posted:

making preparations for my latest bout of financial irresponsibility which will be slowly making its way across the ocean

another piece arrives (the PCB not the carts)

e:

Overbite posted:

Also if I had an arcade cab I would choose something like Point Blank 2, even though I assume the upkeep on a light gun cab is more of a hassle than normal.

I don't think upkeep on a lightgun cab would be anything much more crazy than a normal cab, like I'm not 100% familiar with them but it's just a different input method and you probably just wire it up and forget it (unless you already bought it as a light gun cab, in that case just clean it/do standard repairs and play)

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 21, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way through some sort of hack or something to get one button fatalities to work in the MK arcade games? I've never really heard of MAME cheat codes or MAME ROM hacking but it was one of my favorite codes ever on the snes and I would do anything to be able to do it in the arcade versions.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is there any way through some sort of hack or something to get one button fatalities to work in the MK arcade games? I've never really heard of MAME cheat codes or MAME ROM hacking but it was one of my favorite codes ever on the snes and I would do anything to be able to do it in the arcade versions.

Mame does have cheat codes baked in if you have the cheat file plugged into your mame setup. Hbmame may have something you can burn into a rom. If that's what you're looking for. I'm not in front of my actual mame setup to tell you for sure.

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 21, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

2reachmu posted:

Mame does have cheat codes baked in if you have the cheat file plugged into your mame setup. Hbmame may have something you can burn into a rom. If that's what you're looking for. I'm not in front of my actual mame setup to tell you for sure.

Thanks for the reply! Is this a situation where someone has already done "created" this code/hack and I just have to find it and enter it somehow / patch the ROM? Or do I have to learn programming or something?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks for the reply! Is this a situation where someone has already done "created" this code/hack and I just have to find it and enter it somehow / patch the ROM? Or do I have to learn programming or something?

you should be able to get the cheat database for your version of mame (iirc), google your version number and "cheats"

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Which aged worse:

Pit-Fighter or Guardians of the 'Hood?

I have both. I'd say PF is a much better game. They are both terrible, but different degrees of terrible. PF is better, but GotH has it's charm.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

you should be able to get the cheat database for your version of mame (iirc), google your version number and "cheats"

Not finding anything for 1 button MK fatalities unfortunately :\

Thanks anyway though!

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Not finding anything for 1 button MK fatalities unfortunately :\

Thanks anyway though!

The arcade versions of MK didn't have one buttons available, even through UMK3 kombat kodes. It is in the console versions from what I recall, definitely in Trilogy since I played that a ton last year.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Dj Meow Mix posted:

The arcade versions of MK didn't have one buttons available, even through UMK3 kombat kodes. It is in the console versions from what I recall, definitely in Trilogy since I played that a ton last year.

he's looking for a hack that implements it I think, idk much about MK

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Anything in the EJB menus?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DrrhFAhZCo
Also I didn't see anything in HBmame for 1-button fatalities.

Edit: Mame does have 1-button fatalites in the cheat menu.

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 21, 2020

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

http://cheat.retrogames.com/mame_downloads.htm

https://www.wikihow.com/Add-Cheats-to-MAME

e: the wikihow is unclear about this, once you've done all this stuff run your game and hit tab, then scroll down to "cheat"

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 22, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

2reachmu posted:

Edit: Mame does have 1-button fatalites in the cheat menu.

Wait can you elaborate on this

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d0s posted:

e: the wikihow is unclear about this, once you've done all this stuff run your game and hit tab, then scroll down to "cheat"

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

d0s posted:

This is basically the method if you are compiling mame stuff yourself. Shoot me a PM if you want something slightly less complicated.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
So what are the best rail shooters that use a joystick rather than a light gun?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Funktor posted:

Get Ready!

I am sure this was already established. I want to brag, that even in the machine that let you move you can groove easily through it all with one quarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgrb-mjLaM

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Funktor posted:

Starblade, it uses analog controls so map it to your mouse and map button 1 to your mouse button

e: or just use a flight stick if you have one

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Funktor posted:

Echoing what was said above get yourself acquainted with Yu Suzuki's '80s Sega output.

After burner, Galaxy force, thunder blade, etc.

Oh and night striker one of taito"s most underrated games. https://youtu.be/Q8_1lzWfuEw

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 22, 2020

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Funktor posted:

What's your budget? I prefer a different type of arcade rail shooter...

Cabal (joystick needs a hack)
Blood Brothers
GI Joe
Nam 75
Gamshara

Are a few of my favorites.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

idk if its even considered a rail shooter but if people are posting stuff like afterburner and night striker you should check out burning force. fully JAMMA compliant controls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJenHdezv7A

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

idk if its even considered a rail shooter but if people are posting stuff like afterburner and night striker you should check out burning force. fully JAMMA compliant controls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJenHdezv7A

Oh, great pick!

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Funktor posted:

Operation Wolf and Terminator 2

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Zongerian posted:

Operation Wolf and Terminator 2
These both very much user light guns unless you're in MAME or something I suppose?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

falz posted:

These both very much user light guns unless you're in MAME or something I suppose?

The joke is that they don't. The guns are analog joysticks.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Actually I think falz is right about Operation Wolf so I offer Gunblade as a substitute

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Shlomo Palestein posted:

The joke is that they don't. The guns are analog joysticks.
Wait what, for real? I spent :10bux: on t2 back in the day and that was the only time I played, so i certainly don't remember that. I do remember that they're sorta attached and I guess it was joysticky, but is this saying they don't use any light gun technology at all?

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
T2 uses analog inputs but Operation Wolf does use lightgun tech, notice that the screen flashes white when a shot is fired and that you can "blind" the gun by putting your hand in front of the barrel unlike T2

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

falz posted:

Wait what, for real? I spent :10bux: on t2 back in the day and that was the only time I played, so i certainly don't remember that. I do remember that they're sorta attached and I guess it was joysticky, but is this saying they don't use any light gun technology at all?

I have to assume it was cheaper to just do the whole thing with a glorified analog joystick, since the players aren't gonna be tossing around the (for the time) large gun-like unit, and I guess calibration is pretty stupid simple (just aim at the corners, those are your max values).

Terminator: Salvation sort of disproves my initial theory though, since that gun (though still not technically a light gun) is huge and not attached by anything but a cable... There must've been a reason to do it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
going analog also allows for on-screen targeting reticles and removes the need for the flashing white screens that could potentially induce seizures in some people.
Terminator: Salvation uses infrared tech much like a wii remote.
I was about to say that analog and IR allows for multiplayer but then i remembered the Sega Master System game called Gangster Town that can be played by 2 players simultaneously if you have 2 sega lightguns and the Lethal Enforcers arcade game by Konami

Jello Robot fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 23, 2020