Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Tighclops posted:

I dunno, I can't blame P-Stew or any of the others for showing up when they get to work with people they know and love for dump trucks of cash. The show was probably lots more fun for them to act in then it was for us to watch.

I'm more bothered by the fact that entire seasons of Star Trek are now about as coherent and thoughtful as single episodes of Baywatch Nights
Well, if they had their fun then it's cool but it was indeed painful to watch. It's the fact that SirPatStew was one of the story writing supervisors and knowing his love for good books and great taste it is sad that a lot of dogshit flew under his radar or was outright supported by him.

Gonz posted:

[ ] Yes
[ ] Not yet
[ ] Maybe
[ ] We'll see!

Fixed to reflect general starfleet idea according to the show lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm just deeply disappointed that Mass Effect: Picard wasn't just all around better.

So far as we know they didn't change the number of episodes half way through production so why was the pacing so garbage? Why was the Borg cube there when it didn't really add anything to the overall story of the show? Why is the show about organics vs synths when they already had a compelling seed of a plot in the Romulan refugee idea?

That's not counting the little nitpick things like the incest Romulans being depicted weirdly enough that you can refer to them as the incest Romulans and no one will be confused about what you mean or why wasn't Admiral loving Hubris Nechayev as she should have been or the loving Reapers or the fleet of Cn'trl'Cee Class starships showing up at the end.

Accuse me of poo poo posting or hate watching or whatever but they got P-Stew to come back to Star Trek and that set an expectation that they didn't live up to, and it's not 1989 anymore, there's no excuse to have a bad first season when the entire thing was written and produced before the first episode aired.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Well, if they had their fun then it's cool but it was indeed painful to watch. It's the fact that SirPatStew was one of the story writing supervisors and knowing his love for good books and great taste it is sad that a lot of dogshit flew under his radar or was outright supported by him.

I get the impression that he's more like his character from American Dad than Jean-Luc Picard. Look at Nemesis, they had a dune buggy scene just because he likes driving dune buggies. With the amount of producers this show had I figure some of them genuinely cared, others saw it as a pork project so they could get paid, and probably a couple others seeing it as a little of both.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

If you want a positive comment from me, I have been watching Wellington Paranormal and it is delightful. It's like What We Do in the Shadows' preppy younger sibling. It follows a pair of bumbling beat cops who investigate and (usually) completely fail to resolve paranormal happenings.

It is an official sister show, I forgot to mention they're the same cops who turn up to Vlad and Viago's house.

It's even better if you've seen real New Zealand Reality Cop stuff because it's barely a parody.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm pretty sure Stewart had a lot of fun filming the Big Moments, like his conversations with Spiner that bookended the show and the one with Jurati, but oof, the structural problem with it was that it just kinda wanted to have its Moments- Seven shooting people with akimbo phasers and "becoming" the queen, Picard with Data, etc. and the connecting tissue between these scenes is just nonexistent.

It did feel like there was this pull between being its own thing and being star trek that made the writers reference tons of things but discard them very quickly, like borg reclamation, maddox, Romulan refugees, death as a concept, the federation corruption, synth rights, etc. Having the entire series be a serial thing focused on one topic here would be neat, or abandoning the notion of rip-roaring serial adventures and trying to really get into these issues with episodic TV would also be good, but what we got was decidedly not good.

Tighclops posted:

I get the impression that he's more like his character from American Dad than Jean-Luc Picard. Look at Nemesis, they had a dune buggy scene just because he likes driving dune buggies. With the amount of producers this show had I figure some of them genuinely cared, others saw it as a pork project so they could get paid, and probably a couple others seeing it as a little of both.

For what it's worth, I don't think Stewart is all action man, I think he just wanted to do something different from playing stoic diplomacy man on TV so much. I think probably Romulan refugee stuff is what drew him into the project, with the political parallels.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 20, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

I...liked Picard and while it didn't gel at the end, there is some interesting stuff for next season.

The Bloop posted:

I enjoyed watching it.

I don't know if that makes me a "fan"

I'm certainly not going to fanatically defend it or anything

Sorry, my poor attempt at a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ6KWfZz4BY

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

Sorry, my poor attempt at a joke.

I think it's a legitimate distinction, though.

As to how good Picard and Discovery are, I've said it before but they are both good enough to keep me watching

I'll certainly never watch either one over and over like TNG but they aren't even trying for that. They're disjointed and disappointing but they're the only new Trek to watch, so... I'm going to watch.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Lister posted:

After Starfleet Academy was put on GOG a few years ago, I was sure that Klingon Academy and the Borg FMV games would eventually follow. No other Star Trek games came about at all. Such a shame, I'd buy a version of Birth of the Federation in a heartbeat.

It sucks they chose to do Starfleet instead of Klingon - Starfleet was never a good game.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

snickothemule posted:

I want season 2 of Picard to be nothing but Q roasting Jean Luc about how bad the first season was. Lectures about how they treated the borg alone and the sheer loving hubris of it would be glorious.

They didn't hire the Legends of Tomorrow writing team for the second season so this will never happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lister posted:

After Starfleet Academy was put on GOG a few years ago, I was sure that Klingon Academy and the Borg FMV games would eventually follow. No other Star Trek games came about at all. Such a shame, I'd buy a version of Birth of the Federation in a heartbeat.
There are a bunch of those games I would buy but my understanding is the Activision trek games are in rights hell and are probably not going to be something you can buy again

Same thing happened with the No One Lives Forever series

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
One of the decisions about Picard that rankled me more than perhaps it should have was that big chateau room that somebody obviously loved, so much so that they said "well thanks to holotechnology Picard can bring a slice of home with him!"

Like, really? I don't see Picard, even Worn Out Old Man J-L Picard, being the sort of person that would need to have that kind of familiarity around him. He'd be just fine with a spaceship stateroom. He spent a big chunk of his life on starships. He's just spent a huge amount of effort to try and get back into space. It should already be somewhat familiar and comfortable to him. Why's he need to continue hanging out at his chateau?

But okay, even if he did need a touch of familiarity, something he found reassuring and conducive to his thoughts... wouldn't that be something like his old ready room?

Lister posted:

I'm not terribly surprised KA hasn't gotten a re-release, it could be pretty buggy and unstable even when it was running in the environment it expected. I can't imagine what kind of effort would have to be made to get it to work on a modern PC.

EDIT: oh yeah, forgot about legal bullshit too - although I would think if they got Starfleet Academy re-released, the rights situation would be similar for Klingon Academy. Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy were both Interplay games.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One of the decisions about Picard that rankled me more than perhaps it should have was that big chateau room that somebody obviously loved, so much so that they said "well thanks to holotechnology Picard can bring a slice of home with him!"

Like, really? I don't see Picard, even Worn Out Old Man J-L Picard, being the sort of person that would need to have that kind of familiarity around him. He'd be just fine with a spaceship stateroom. He spent a big chunk of his life on starships. He's just spent a huge amount of effort to try and get back into space. It should already be somewhat familiar and comfortable to him. Why's he need to continue hanging out at his chateau?

But okay, even if he did need a touch of familiarity, something he found reassuring and conducive to his thoughts... wouldn't that be something like his old ready room?

:same: It was a good set, but it's a bad thing when plot molds itself toward certain sets and actors (e.g. killing off plot-important people just because a contract expired)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
And actually, that note about Activision reminds me of something...

Hed posted:

All that Armada trailer did was make me wish someone still made Star Trek video games in 2020.

Sometime in the mid-2000s, if I remember right Activision tried to sue Paramount on the grounds that Paramount had hosed up their handling of the Star Trek franchise so badly that it had ruined the value of the license to make Star Trek games.

There's a part of me that wonders if the people at Paramount (and later, CBS) took that as a cue to simply not issue further licenses.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

More like "The Dickshart Show"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not terribly surprised KA hasn't gotten a re-release, it could be pretty buggy and unstable even when it was running in the environment it expected. I can't imagine what kind of effort would have to be made to get it to work on a modern PC.

EDIT: oh yeah, forgot about legal bullshit too - although I would think if they got Starfleet Academy re-released, the rights situation would be similar for Klingon Academy. Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy were both Interplay games.
Interplay’s stuff is also a mess since they went under

I say that because I would have loved to get another Freespace game but I have no idea who even owns that IP anymore

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Panzeh posted:

I'm pretty sure Stewart had a lot of fun filming the Big Moments, like his conversations with Spiner that bookended the show and the one with Jurati, but oof, the structural problem with it was that it just kinda wanted to have its Moments- Seven shooting people with akimbo phasers and "becoming" the queen, Picard with Data, etc. and the connecting tissue between these scenes is just nonexistent.

It did feel like there was this pull between being its own thing and being star trek that made the writers reference tons of things but discard them very quickly, like borg reclamation, maddox, Romulan refugees, death as a concept, the federation corruption, synth rights, etc. Having the entire series be a serial thing focused on one topic here would be neat, or abandoning the notion of rip-roaring serial adventures and trying to really get into these issues with episodic TV would also be good, but what we got was decidedly not good.

My take is that the writers seemed to want it to be like a novel where it deftly weaved around a bunch of different themes (including those written because of production shortcomings, genre expectations, and pressures to include fan service), but this approach didn't translate to the television format as well as they thought it would.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 20, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

My take is that the writers seemed to want it to be like a novel where it deftly weaved around a bunch of different themes (including those written because of production shortcomings, genre expectations, and pressures to include fan service), but this approach didn't translate to the television format as well as they thought it would.

Supposedly the novelizations of the newer Star Wars films are significantly more coherent than the actual movies so you might be onto something, tbh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The game I will always want is Freelancer skinned up as Babylon 5.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Interplay’s stuff is also a mess since they went under

I say that because I would have loved to get another Freespace game but I have no idea who even owns that IP anymore

It's apparently still with Interplay.

e: they also paid peanuts to get it from THQ in the bankruptcy, then were dumb and wanted waaay too much money for it when they tried to license out in 2017. In 2020 they might actually be willing to take a bid.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Brawnfire posted:

The game I will always want is Freelancer skinned up as Babylon 5.

I'm sure I once played a mod that was exactly that. The Freespace 2 mod was very good, too.

Again with the rights hell, but I would adore another Freelancer

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

And actually, that note about Activision reminds me of something...

Sometime in the mid-2000s, if I remember right Activision tried to sue Paramount on the grounds that Paramount had hosed up their handling of the Star Trek franchise so badly that it had ruined the value of the license to make Star Trek games.

There's a part of me that wonders if the people at Paramount (and later, CBS) took that as a cue to simply not issue further licenses.

I've always wished the source code for some of the older games came out. A source code port of Bridge Commander to the Oculus Quest would be awesome. But after shutting down the fan made Stage 9 recreation it's obvious that CBS is too much of a bunch of grabasses to allow that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There's always Star Citizen!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nullsmack posted:

I've always wished the source code for some of the older games came out. A source code port of Bridge Commander to the Oculus Quest would be awesome. But after shutting down the fan made Stage 9 recreation it's obvious that CBS is too much of a bunch of grabasses to allow that.

I doubt the source code for any of the old Interplay games is still around. They were never great about maintaining assets back when they were still an actual company.

One of the biggest challenges for Klingon Academy was that the source code to the Starfleet Academy engine had already been destroyed by the time the KA developers got the green light to proceed - the guy who did the Starfleet Academy engine supposedly just deleted a bunch the source code after he was finished, or something equally insane. The KA developers had to spend a lot of time fighting with what they had on hand to get the engine just to do anything better than 640x480. (They wanted to build a new engine entirely, but Interplay absolutely refused.)

That said, I feel like fan projects that run a strong chance of getting hit with C&Ds could/should be run clandestinely - work in secret, publish anonymously - so that when they do release, it's already out in the wild and too late to wipe it off the Internet.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

8one6 posted:

So far as we know they didn't change the number of episodes half way through production so why was the pacing so garbage? Why was the Borg cube there when it didn't really add anything to the overall story of the show? Why is the show about organics vs synths when they already had a compelling seed of a plot in the Romulan refugee idea?

It's just my theory, but since they've said they have three seasons in mind, my idea is that these were included to set up the major arcs of the next two seasons. This season was synths. Next will be about the Romulans and the chaos in the neutral zone. The final season will have Picard facing and defeating the Borg for the final time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Picard will still be alive during the new Discovery season.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Lister posted:

It's just my theory, but since they've said they have three seasons in mind, my idea is that these were included to set up the major arcs of the next two seasons. This season was synths. Next will be about the Romulans and the chaos in the neutral zone. The final season will have Picard facing and defeating the Borg for the final time.

I doubt they had a big arc in mind, but knowing they had two more seasons lined up probably did change the way they wrote it. My guess is they threw some things at the wall knowing they could use the next two seasons to pick up on the ones that stuck.

I also doubt they'll do Picard vs. The Borg again, given all their talk about not wanting to make the show TNG part II. I am hoping for Picard working with the xBs somehow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: oops

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I doubt they had a big arc in mind, but knowing they had two more seasons lined up probably did change the way they wrote it. My guess is they threw some things at the wall knowing they could use the next two seasons to pick up on the ones that stuck.

I also doubt they'll do Picard vs. The Borg again, given all their talk about not wanting to make the show TNG part II. I am hoping for Picard working with the xBs somehow.

Remember that the entire series, not just the season, is meant to be binged. If the seasons follow as I think, then having Borg or Romulans included as much as they are in the first season wont seem as jarring if you keep watching straight from the first season to the second and third. However if they were barely mentioned and they're the focus of the final two seasons, it would seem weird to have had so little in the episodes before.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lister posted:

Remember that the entire series, not just the season, is meant to be binged. If the seasons follow as I think, then having Borg or Romulans included as much as they are in the first season wont seem as jarring if you keep watching straight from the first season to the second and third. However if they were barely mentioned and they're the focus of the final two seasons, it would seem weird to have had so little in the episodes before.

So this is where we try to desperately try to rationalize terrible writing.
How do the incest Romulans fit into this grand vision?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the needed to bury that the Romulans actually have a pretty good motive, so they had to front load their story by having them be evil and skeevy in other ways to to make the late game reveal that they're credibly trying to stop a galactic genocide somewhat surprising

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wonder how that Stellaris ST mod is shaping up. Last I saw it was pretty drat good, though I never tried it so I dunno if it holds up to actual gameplay.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also lol remembering that the Romulan Incest Twins ended up with zero explanation as to why they're so creepy.

Yes, they're related, yes, she's constantly acting like she wants to gently caress him. Deal with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

multijoe posted:

I think the needed to bury that the Romulans actually have a pretty good motive, so they had to front load their story by having them be evil and skeevy in other ways to to make the late game reveal that they're credibly trying to stop a galactic genocide somewhat surprising
I still can't believe that they wrote into the story that the Romulans were right the whole time. Why would you do that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still can't believe that they wrote into the story that the Romulans were right the whole time. Why would you do that.

I'm imagining that one of the writers caught that during a script meeting and got roundly ignored by the rest of them who were too busy doing mountains of cocaine or something

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, they were right about the potential for a robot apocalypse, but them being dickheads and instigating others to be dickheads to synths is what threatened to bring it about in the first place.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wonder how that Stellaris ST mod is shaping up. Last I saw it was pretty drat good, though I never tried it so I dunno if it holds up to actual gameplay.

It's not bad but what is bad is the Stellaris engine which can barely handle the scale of that mod. I've never gotten past 2280 in that mod because of how slow it becomes. And the AI doesn't really seem to do much when you're playing as the Federation.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty reasonable explanation.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really weird in the context of a show that touches on constructed mythology. I think it may have been narratively better not to show what the synths saw, but I don't know.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's probably accidental but it is highly ironic that the Romulan order dedicated to preserving all life from synths are in fact by virtue of their existence all carrying the knowledge required to trigger galactic genocide in their own heads.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Now I’m bummed out all over again about Secret of Vulcan Fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

Now I’m bummed out all over again about Secret of Vulcan Fury.

Vulcan Love Slave will cheer you right up.