Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Overwatch didn't market itself that way and the game is a first person shooter, people want to shoot poo poo. I enjoyed the full professional seasons with hitscan not being relevant but i'm not surprised people didn't want to watch goatverwatch forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I still think that the patch they introduced ashe they should've just deleted widow from the game.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

Overwatch didn't market itself that way and the game is a first person shooter, people want to shoot poo poo. I enjoyed the full professional seasons with hitscan not being relevant but i'm not surprised people didn't want to watch goatverwatch forever.

It's really just a trap so that you can make FPS players buy the game and then beat them in the head with a flail while they shoot at a blue barrier.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

headcase posted:

It's really just a trap so that you can make FPS players buy the game and then beat them in the head with a flail while they shoot at a blue barrier.

Hotfix:

Brigitte no longer has a mace, she has a crossbow. she has to shoot people in order to AoE heal
Shield bash no longer stuns, it knocks back like whip shot

There I fixed brigitte

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Shield bash no longer stuns, it knocks back like whip shot

There I fixed brigitte

Just go all in on the cartoon part of the game, make it like a flashbang except you see stars like in a loony toons cartoon.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Just go all in on the cartoon part of the game, make it like a flashbang except you see stars like in a loony toons cartoon.

There is a fat oversized hamster and a cowboy. Physics/momentum has no meaning. People are getting knocked around like a pinball for like 3 minutes straight. Could you really get any more all in?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, you could. Add jetpack cat you cowards

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

headcase posted:

There is a fat oversized hamster and a cowboy. Physics/momentum has no meaning. People are getting knocked around like a pinball for like 3 minutes straight. Could you really get any more all in?

Just give me a fat oversized cowboy

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I'm another one that does like overwatch but does not like csgo. Lots of people like and dislike lots of things, nothin wrong with that. OW was the first shooter I played in probably 20 years and it might be 20 more before I play another.

I've got no idea whatsoever what is and what is not good for the overwatch pro scene but if I had to suggest one thing it'd be to gear at least some of the changes to the game toward something that will make the pros actually want to play it again.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I suspect that the problems with the way players are treated by the league/their own organizations far outstrip anything about the game that makes it un-fun for the players while actually playing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s both

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've been trying to resist the OWL meta-discussion, in part because it feels like pro wrestling where everybody is spending all of their time worrying about ~~~the state of the business~~~ instead of talking about the actual show, but I do want to chime in as another person who loves the hybrid nature of Overwatch.

10-15 years ago, I was all about playing Halo and then CoD online, but mechanically I was never going to be better than average or feel like I was providing something special to my team when my K/D ratio was like 1.5. Overwatch provides so many pathways to being able to feel like you're contributing in a meaningful way.

edit: I respect the skill involved when I watch people play CS or Valorant, but the only way I can imagine myself having fun with it would be if I were playing on a team with friends, and the reality is that none of my friends or I are spending a significant amount of time playing video games (present quarantine circumstances excluded) at this stage in our lives. For whatever reason, something about the need for people to be working together in Overwatch makes me have more fun playing with strangers. You can't hard-carry in the same way that one person can pop off and win a 1v4 in CoD. I realize that it's exactly that scenario that is a big source of appeal for high-skill players, though, who can reasonably see themselves as the one doing it.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 20, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah, i played MT and i 100% needed my team to back me up to do anything, that's why high level goats was so fun to watch, tbh. It seemed like it was the viewers who wanted to see Cree or Widow erase half a team, because that's far easier to follow than "i've jockeyed for space, forced the other rein to cover a smaller angle and poo poo on a support who was depending on him to not do that"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

dogstile posted:

i 100% needed my team to back me up to do anything

And that is what sours me on this game whenever I try to play it. I'm confident I'm an at-least equal source of disappointment to the randos on my team, including the tank on a keyboard with no Ws, the genji slampick and the Brig who won't M1.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
If the Titans do implode, I imagine that the Asian conference teams would have a big advantage in terms of trading for these guys. I feel like it would solve a lot of problems if Spark could trade for Haksal, although I would be equally thrilled if we upgraded on Bebe with Twilight.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

the schedule is out and seoul and ny are set to play again. i'm especially looking forward to seoul vs shanghai on sunday; the two of them may be the #1 and #2 of the asian teams

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I need to apologize for all the terrible things I've said about OWL season 3 production, this is Valorant:
https://clips.twitch.tv/BadProtectivePterodactylPeoplesChamp

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s a third party tournament of a beta but sure lol

The 100t tourney was fine last week. ESPN clearly has no idea what they’re doing though.

The Overwatch team is playing soon I think, will be interesting to see how they do since the Valorant scene has been saying they’ll be awful at aiming not realizing how hard hitscan is in OW. The Leauge of Legends team is also playing which will be hilarious.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 20, 2020

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
On the other hand its a bunch of streamers lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tommu posted:

On the other hand its a bunch of streamers lol

Gale Adelade
Boostio
Kephrii
Carter
emongg

Until 30 minutes ago xQc and Seagull were on the line up so I'm guessing they were having some trouble getting people to commit to this thing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hope and vaseline posted:

Just give me a fat oversized cowboy

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

Gale Adelade
Boostio
Kephrii
Carter
emongg

Until 30 minutes ago xQc and Seagull were on the line up so I'm guessing they were having some trouble getting people to commit to this thing.

This is a much better line up.

Boostio v good

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'll give Valorant another chance to hook me. Who's the best Overwatch person to watch out of that group in terms of personality? Ideally someone who's not a toxic hatemonger

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

edit: that group nevermind I can't read. emongg by far

https://www.twitch.tv/emongg

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 20, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

surf rock posted:

I'll give Valorant another chance to hook me. Who's the best Overwatch person to watch out of that group in terms of personality? Ideally someone who's not a toxic hatemonger

definitely not the main stream because these are the worst hosts/casters I've seen in years. Every 30 seconds they would poo poo on OW players by saying "they're going to do cute stuff with abilities but in the end the game is still going to be decided by aiming" and saying they only had "a slight advantage over the League team".

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 20, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

definitely not the main stream because these are the worst hosts/casters I've seen in years. Every 30 seconds they would poo poo on OW players by saying "they're going to do cute stuff with abilities but in the end the game is still going to be decided by aiming" and saying they only had "a slight advantage over the League team".

:lol: emongg got started as a CSGO streamer. Overwatch is steamrolling LoL, 6-0 so far.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

jeff kaplan posted:

when we moved to a combined hero pool system, we did so based on feedback from owl players and coaches. in our monthly discord chat, they vocalized that the number one issue they were facing was the inability to effectively practice in competitive play because the pools differed. on the development team, we also wanted to move away from human-curated pools to something that was driven by statistics. we felt like this would provide more transparency into why the picks were made each week and frankly, remove some of the negative emotion we saw when the picks would be announced. we evaluated using owl stats to determine the pools but there were some issues that put us in the direction we ultimately went. because of logistics with how the owl broadcast works, the owl schedule itself, the desire to have the picks read after the final game of the weekend and the amount of time between when the final match of the weekend happens and when the teams have requested to be able to start practicing, we made the decision to base the picks off of a more stable environment -- a segment of our high-end players from the live game.

if you remember our original design -- we had two separate pools -- one derived for owl and one derived for the playerbase at large. the value that was expressed to us directly from the players who participated in our dev/pro-player chat was that the pools be synced, over anything else. that was the top thing we as, as a development team, could do to make the game better for owl pros.

so we made the decision to unify the pools and we chose to have those pools derived by the playerbase because that would be the most impactful decision for the largest segment of ow players. there are also a lot of logistical reasons (in the short amount of time we had to implement a change, a system that was evergreen rather than one that would have to be re-implemented anytime owl goes on hiatus -- think about the times we live in right now -- made the most sense to us from a pragmatic standpoint).

largely the system is working. impactful heroes to both the base game and owl are getting rotated, for example moira and orisa this week. the absence of both will have an impact on owl and the live game. there are some moments that feel off to players. echo being banned was a possibility we were well aware of. we knew this would upset players because she was knew but we felt like sticking with the integrity of the system was important. and we knew owl viewers would be upset because echo wasn't being played.

and just because the system doesn't routinely ban mei each week doesn't really bother us -- because that's not what it was meant to do. mei's been rotated out already. and in terms of balance, characters like mei are getting a lot of attention. in addition to her recent nerfs more are coming on wednesday. her win rate is already down. remember, owl is traditionally slower at picking up balance trends because of their intense schedule, their scrimming behavior and delayed patching. hero pools isn't a solve to balance issues. and the hero pools is not intended to solve problems of "fun heroes vs. bad heroes".... those terms are so subjective that they don't really help the conversation.

we could easily go back to a system where owl pools are determined separately from the rest of the players of the game. but that's not what we were told that they wanted. all of the pros were invited to chat with us and the pros that showed up were unambiguous in their feedback requesting that the pools were synced.

for better or worse there are good lessons in game design here. game design is about trade-offs, not silver bullet solutions. and maybe, for once, we can be open that the owl meta is very different from the meta we see on the ladder.

i know i didn't come here with the magic answer. we're talking about possible solutions still. but i just wanted to shed light on how the situation evolved.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I just looked it up, and not only are they doing that, but the whole chat seems to be dudebros making GBS threads on OW too. Ugh.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

surf rock posted:

I just looked it up, and not only are they doing that, but the whole chat seems to be dudebros making GBS threads on OW too. Ugh.

OW chats were making GBS threads on emongg for playing VALORANT during the weekend tourney. Maybe twitch chat is just bad

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

surf rock posted:

Seagull and Emongg both have been streaming it lately and are both chill. Emongg can be a little over the top with the wholesomeness, but they aren’t known ragers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

This is a weird effort to shift blame from them getting told for years, 'have a pick/ban system' and then for whatever reason forcing their own weird take on the system upon the game.

I don't know why Jeff Kaplan's job is apparently a life-appointment, but jfc that dude has no business making decisions about an FPS. It's funny that this is like the fifteenth iteration of them getting a bunch of 'we want x' feedback, ignoring it, implementing something loosely influenced by x years later, and then seeming surprised that people are not satisfied with getting something they never asked for or so much later that everyone who asked for it already quite years ago.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 20, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That post is Jeff trying to say "what do you mean, pro's actually wanted this" and hoping everyone is too dumb to realise that pro's complained about the hero system at large but know that OW dev's won't revert and went for a compromise.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

I dont think syncing pools was the biggest issue raised at all.

"If you remember our original design -- we had two separate pools -- one derived for owl and one derived for the playerbase at large. the value that was expressed to us directly from the players who participated in our dev/pro-player chat was that the pools be synced, over anything else. that was the top thing we as, as a development team, could do to make the game better for owl pros."

I think this could be technically true in that alot of frustration and feedback is stuff that the competitive office over the dev team handles. But this feels like a lie just by ommission of what the dev team does handle.

Tommu fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 20, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Overwatch beat R6 so that’ll be the punchline for a lot of jokes for a while.

edit: the main thing they corrected was aggression. It makes sense that OW players are not going to expose themselves if their instincts tell them they’re going to have 5 opponents again in less than 30s

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 21, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Best thing in the tourney was the LoL team playing far back in spawn and someone in chat said “they’re waiting for teammates to respawn” lol

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Overwatch beat R6 so that’ll be the punchline for a lot of jokes for a while.

edit: the main thing they corrected was aggression. It makes sense that OW players are not going to expose themselves if their instincts tell them they’re going to have 5 opponents again in less than 30s

Cool! That match against the CS guys was brutal; I'm glad they rallied.

Was every team like the Overwatch team in the sense that they were Tier 2-3 people for their game? Or were any of the teams made up of Tier 1 players?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

surf rock posted:

Cool! That match against the CS guys was brutal; I'm glad they rallied.

Was every team like the Overwatch team in the sense that they were Tier 2-3 people for their game? Or were any of the teams made up of Tier 1 players?

The R6 team were all former world champs, with 3 of them being the champs this season. So getting beat by a bunch of failed T2 players and streamers is lol. The OW team turned it around after just listening to emonggs shotcalling.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Most were T2, while the CS were mostly if not all T1. Skadoodle was also on C9 when they won a major (the only major a NA team has one in CSGO).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
calling cloud 9 cs tier one is very generous. Even when they won their major it was more of a 'lucky t2 moment' than them establishing themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParadeRainer
Jul 2, 2019

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The R6 team were all former world champs, with 3 of them being the champs this season. So getting beat by a bunch of failed T2 players and streamers is lol. The OW team turned it around after just listening to emonggs shotcalling.

tbf the OW team has been hard grinding Valorant, well at least Emongg, Kephrii, Boostio, and Gale (I don't really know about Carter) and Emongg was an extremely good CS player (was on a team with Skadoodle and would've def been a pro) until he broke the crap out of his wrist and lost his spot. He took up Overwatch after that but his CS knowledge and game sense in general is really, really good. Most the Siege guys just got done with Pro League last week and have been playing Valorant some but def haven't dedicated the same amount of time. Either way it was fun to see Emongg take control of the squad and shot-call them to 10 rounds in a row against the R6 boys.