Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

syntaxrigger posted:

so franchise wars with Taco Bell on top?

that and underground ratburgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'll be devastated if my favorite local Italian chain goes under, I've been going there for 25 years and most of the other local poo poo is disgusting

we've got an olive garden here too but i don't really like it

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

ShadowHawk posted:

"The Chinese have better internet connections than we do" should be a major campaign talking point
tried to shame the australian government in 2014 and it didn't work

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/serious-flaws-in-turnbulls-nbn-costbenefit-analysis-report-20140908-10dqu0.html posted:

In their cost-benefit analysis of the national broadband network, the Vertigan panel predicts that in 2023, an average Australian household will require a broadband download speed of 15 megabits per second (Mbps).
Kazakhstan currently enjoys higher average download speeds than Communications Chambers thinks Australia will need in 2023.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

also keep in mind that most landlords are also leveraged to their eyeballs and are going to squeeze every drop of blood from those stones long term consequences be damned

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PIZZA.BAT posted:

also keep in mind that most landlords are also leveraged to their eyeballs and are going to squeeze every drop of blood from those stones long term consequences be damned

yeah that's the real problem, a landlord can't just decide to cut you a break on the rent out of the kindness of their hearts. that would lead to the pressure being placed on them by the bank that owns their mortgage. government needs to step in and order the entire system to come to a halt

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i think i'd have a heart attack if i ever didn't have at least half a year's worth of expenses in cash savings. after grad school i ran out of money and i have since organized my lifestyle to never do that ever again (touching computers certainly helps)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah under "normal" circumstances i've always figured that if i hit the point where i was down to six months of cash in savings, i'd ask to move back in with my mother at least until i got poo poo sorted out again.

now that we're in a loving depression i'm pretty sure if i lost my job i'd immediately move back in.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

another thing with restaurants is they probably had 2-10k or more in unsold inventory when they closed, just on the wasted food they'd already had stocked or ordered. if you fired your staff for the interim, it's probably going to be hard to find new staff, especially if you're serving a specialty cuisine that not everyone knows how to cook. i think most restaurants around here just kept most of the staff they could afford to, and all the workers in the kitchen for the time being, making do with delivery and carryout. one nice thing is they've loosened the alcohol laws, so places around here can now sell you alcohol to go with your meal

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

some pretty good news out of stockholm, in that not everyone is dead and early antibody tests (with very small samples granted) suggest that immunity is in the double digits. not enough for much in the way of herd immunity, but makes the curve-flattening easier and easier.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
plz stop using the phrase "herd immunity" in that context

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lancemantis posted:

sorry, i thought that was the appropriate use?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"herd immunity" is more formally used for the process of deliberately creating immunity in the greater population i.e. vaccinations to protect the more vulnerable in your population i.e. the people ineligible for those vaccinations

the herd immunity term thrown around today is just political whitewashing for "we're just going to do a little as possible because we must worship the moloch of capital and just hope that the death and other tolls is politically navigable"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lancemantis posted:

what's a better phrase in that context

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
politically acceptable manslaughter

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so what term do you use for when a population is statistically made quite safe from a disease by the same mechanism but the cause is wide-spread infection instead of vaccination?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

lancemantis posted:

the median voter won't die of coronavirus, but does need a job. checkmate libtards :colbert:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so what term do you use for when a population is statistically made quite safe from a disease by the same mechanism but the cause is wide-spread infection instead of vaccination?

lancemantis posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

come on, don't be a hysteric about words. vaccines are very far away and this mechanism that should apparently stay unnamed will have a huge impact even in the context of extremely complete lockdown scenarios. it needs to be tracked and understood, and it is in that process helpful if it can be named

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"Confucius say, Every Disease is Actually A Vaccine" -- Neoliberals

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

come on, don't be a hysteric about words. vaccines are very far away and this mechanism that should apparently stay unnamed will have a huge impact even in the context of extremely complete lockdown scenarios. it needs to be tracked and understood, and it is in that process helpful if it can be named

Frenching Up Barbarism

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Let God Sort Em Out

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
you're letting a bunch of politicians goad you into believing horseshit with abuse of terminology to lend pseudo-scientific credence

maybe we should just end childhood vaccination because who needs the MMR kids can totally make it through it, sure some of them will die or be sterilized or have other lifelong negative outcomes, but we can save a lot of money

and we'll have some kind of "herd immunity" totally

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, being in sweden i already live in a neoliberal hellscape ruled by brutes (the social democrats) set on killing us all by never having a hard lockdown to start with.

my own impending death makes it pretty easy to look at the statistics pretty dispassionately and enjoy the bits that look kind of ok.

i honestly really doubt that any amount of politics, especially online forum posting politics, will prevent the us from effectively taking the same route shortly. sorry.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, but like, actually this time :unsmith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TOOT BOOT posted:

dehumanize yourself and lungs to virusshed

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
one thing i like to do when i fight a ruthless war to the last man is immediately equate it to a diplomatic resolution because, well, deaths aside, peace is peace, right?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lancemantis posted:

you're letting a bunch of politicians goad you into believing horseshit with abuse of terminology to lend pseudo-scientific credence

maybe we should just end childhood vaccination because who needs the MMR kids can totally make it through it, sure some of them will die or be sterilized or have other lifelong negative outcomes, but we can save a lot of money

and we'll have some kind of "herd immunity" totally

all the qualified people to comment on this have been saying we need to slow this down until we reach herd immunity or find a vaccine though

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean I just hate people letting politicians getting away with that garbage, whether or not we can do anything about it

we can but we also can't

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
me, has no idea how long post-illness immunity to covi lasts or is expected to last, pointing to a seagull: “herd immunity”

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Uptime Sinclair posted:

me, has no idea how long post-illness immunity to covi lasts or is expected to last, pointing to a seagull: “herd immunity”

it's literally our only hope besides finding an effective treatment

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

im quarantining with a hostess who was doing just fine with tip pooling. She got fired to collect the unemployment benefits but if she and her roommates cant cover rent in another couple months (as its looking likely) they will all be evicted ASAP.

deliveries help stem the bleeding to mostly rent but its very insecure and doesn't matter if the restaurant llc survives on deliveries but you're completely destitute in 3 months.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's literally our only hope besides finding an effective treatment
i’m saying it’s not something you can legitimately point to and declare, likely for the remainder of 2020

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
most of my friends are out of work with the saving grace being that most of them don't have any debt so their only outgoings are rent.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i think i'd have a heart attack if i ever didn't have at least half a year's worth of expenses in cash savings

I’ve got about a weeks worth of living left before I hit the limit on my credit card and then I just don’t know what I’d do. Hopefully this week will organise a 6 month mortgage holiday. I’m about 5 years away from being debt free if I continue working full time and can start to save a dollar. gently caress being alive sucks some times.

I resent aborning terrible money skills from my dad.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
dadborning

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

GNU/Hurd immunity

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

trump tweeted that all immigration would be temporarily suspended, which it kind of already is since the offices are closed but who knows

the "will I get my green card before bigtech starts doing layoffs" race is gonna be down to the wire

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

DuckConference posted:

trump tweeted that all immigration would be temporarily suspended, which it kind of already is since the offices are closed but who knows

the "will I get my green card before bigtech starts doing layoffs" race is gonna be down to the wire

is ICE still operating?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ICE would still be operating even after the bombs fall and the survivors are huddling in literal Fallout vaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

The price of oil is literally negative right now, I didn't even know that was possible

just the contract that settles tomorrow op