Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

oh hey look what ive found

fake edit: what a loving terrible snipe :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Lol why does Tohru always get his rear end kicked so hard by just a few beers? I guess no drinking while in the slammer followed by very occasional drinking due to lack of funds has resulted in the alcohol tolerance level of a kawaii schoolgirl

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
He's a feckless loser. So hampered by his own NEETness that he'll never, ever, rise to the occasion

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Idk I never drink so when I have a pint I am usually 2/10 drunk, like enough that i know it's having an effect. Two beers quick enough puts me in solid 4/10 territory which is about as far into alcohol land as I'm willing to go

Tohru seems to do a little too much solo public disturbance drinking

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

He's Japanese

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Someone edit this so that a plate of NEET gets delivered on a train.

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Man, the train and Tohru's childlike enthusiasm for it was great but this is getting depressing.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Grevling posted:

Man, Tohru is depressing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
NEET inspired me to go get some kaitenzushi of my own!

Man, some Korean sushi is... unique...

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

If there's kimchi-based sushi I'm going to eat it.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grevling posted:

Man, the train and Tohru's childlike enthusiasm for it was great but this is getting depressing.

His drunken anime eating is cool tho lol

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

lmao

Should have added his negative bank balance after this escapade

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
He is so happy
Yet this man's childish delight
Depresses me still

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Plant MONSTER. posted:

He is so happy
Yet this man's childish delight
Depresses me still

You pronounce "childish" with two syllables? You MONSTER.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

dirby posted:

No, no, "man" is pronounced with zero syllables

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

dirby posted:

lol I was saying childish out loud for like 3 minutes because of this.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

idgi

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
wait how is childish not two syllables, I literally cannot comprehend how it can be not two

how the gently caress do you guys talk what is this like "ch'ld'sh"

how the gently caress do I talk? do I have some kind of mutant dialect

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
It helps if you pretend there's an apostrophe like they like to do in ye old english like

"and ere the ne'er-do-well fell down a well and broke his own rear end".
~Tennyson

SniperWoreConverse posted:

wait how is childish not two syllables, I literally cannot comprehend how it can be not two

this guy gets it. :)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

but it scans perfectly well?

im so loving confused right now

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

like sushi train confused over this

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Even chldsh is two syllables long though, I can't get from ld to sh without a break, it doesn't go

D->S is a hard line, it can't work to drop it to one, and only an extreme weirdo is gonna try and push it to three. Fuckin chi Eld ish?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Someone explain to me how "childish" is physically possible to pronounce in any amount of syllables that is not two. Having it at three is the real middle English type poo poo I can't figure out how that's even the same word at this point

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
you are the weird one dude. childish is pronounced "chy-ull-dish" , even if the first 2 syllables kinda run together.

do you seriously pronounce child as one syllable?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Even chldsh is two syllables long though, I can't get from ld to sh without a break, it doesn't go

D->S is a hard line, it can't work to drop it to one, and only an extreme weirdo is gonna try and push it to three. Fuckin chi Eld ish?

Don't let the written encoding mislead you. You're (presumably) saying "/ˈtʃaɪldɪʃ/", which clearly has three syllables.

TheAardvark posted:

you are the weird one dude. childish is pronounced "chy-ull-dish" , even if the first 2 syllables kinda run together.

It's pronounced like "chilled."
chilled-rish

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Childish wouldn't have three syllables unless you're pronouncing the I as two vowels instead of a dipthong,something like cha-EEL-dish.

Or am I missing something (probably).

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TheAardvark posted:

Yes? Trying to say it as two feels like heavy accent territory, unless ull is the middle, that at least sounds natural but I wouldn't think to say it like that

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Are you American? Most Americans pronounce child as "chai-yuld" (/tʃai'jʊld/). Brits (and those who learn English from British sources) pronounce it more like "chaild" with the vowels forming a diphthong and the L having much less prominence.

A similar issue came up recently with my coworker when I mentioned in passing that my first name, Charles, has 2 syllables. He was like "but 'Charles' has only one syllable." :psyduck:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Yes? Trying to say it as two feels like heavy accent territory, unless ull is the middle, that at least sounds natural but I wouldn't think to say it like that

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/child

the heavy accent of "the guy who records words for merriam webster"

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahahaha this is the best neetworthy derail, but forreal...

It is 2 syllables despite the sound.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I see it now, sorry for butting in ignorantly. I'm an ESL speaker and never considered that child could have two syllables but makes sense to me now.

The poem still scans though.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Devils Affricate posted:

Are you American? Most Americans pronounce child as "chai-yuld" (/tʃai'jʊld/). Brits (and those who learn English from British sources) pronounce it more like "chaild" with the vowels forming a diphthong and the L having much less prominence.

A similar issue came up recently with my coworker when I mentioned in passing that my first name, Charles, has 2 syllables. He was like "but 'Charles' has only one syllable." :psyduck:

Now this one is loving with me, what!?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

"CHARLZ" I guess?

To me, the juxtaposition of R and L necessitates an additional syllable but I guess some people think they can move their tongues that way.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Grevling posted:

I see it now, sorry for butting in ignorantly. I'm an ESL speaker and never considered that child could have two syllables but makes sense to me now.

It's not black and white, here's a good breakdown:

https://www.quora.com/Are-words-such-as-mile-smile-tire-child-etc-considered-one-syllable-or-two

Corona lockdown is melting some minds

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
normally i'd say it as one unless I was specifically trying to really stress it. That's the only situation I can think of where it'd be two

like, "tohru. stop. being. such. a drat. chi-uld" works and sounds fine. Wouldn't say it like that normally, but normally i'd just say kid.
e: I'm like 80% sure I've never used child to refer to an actual kid in any kind of regular context.

Grevling posted:

yeah haiku need to have 7 on the middle line

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 21, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Victis posted:

It's not black and white, here's a good breakdown:

https://www.quora.com/Are-words-such-as-mile-smile-tire-child-etc-considered-one-syllable-or-two

Corona lockdown is melting some minds

this is hosed up and I am going to fight that man

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

Charles can be one or two, Char-els or Charls
Chals is one and I've heard it a bunch. The sort of has an R but it's heavily smushed into the L.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Having flashbacks to Homer going to the all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant.