Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

That was possible on the 3DS for a long time too, bizarrely they turned a blind eye to it when the 3DS was actually relevant then fixed it after the Switch launched and new 3DS games had almost dried up.

and it still works to this day for Wii U stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have a kv32fs100 sitting in the hall if someone wants it. I am located in CT. It needs some service menu adjustment but it's not too bad.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why is the sensor bar for the Wii the most awful loving thing in the world to deal with? Whether I'm putting it away, setting it up, calibrating it, or even just thinking about it, I want to find the mother fucker that decided it needed a cord long enough to reach the moon and shoot them. That thing pisses me off every time I do anything with it. Every single time.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I’ve had one stuck to the top of my living room TV and one to my game room TV for like 10 years now, I can’t say I’ve ever had any issues with the length of the cable. I looped up the extra and it just kinda sits there.

I guess if you move your Wii/Wii U around a lot it can get annoying, but a wireless sensor bar would probably make more sense for that case.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Star Man posted:

Why is the sensor bar for the Wii the most awful loving thing in the world to deal with? Whether I'm putting it away, setting it up, calibrating it, or even just thinking about it, I want to find the mother fucker that decided it needed a cord long enough to reach the moon and shoot them. That thing pisses me off every time I do anything with it. Every single time.

It's a big enough pain that I don't even hook it up if I'm planning on a game that doesn't require motion controls. The classic controller works fine for navigating the menu. Since I also use the Wii as a GameCube and emulation box the sensor is unplugged more often than not.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to figure out exactly which issue of Game Player's magazine has the review for Illusion of Gaia?

I downloaded every issue from Retro Mags and there's about five issues missing from 1994 but I don't know which one.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 20, 2020

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is there any way to figure out exactly which issue of Game Player's magazine has the review for Illusion of Gaia?

I downloaded every issue from Retro Mags and there's about five issues missing from 1994 but I don't know which one.

I believe that game was on the cover of the Oct 94 issue of Nintendo Power, so I would bet it's in the Oct or November issue. I looked through a box of Game Player's I had and of course I'm missing Aug 94-Dec 94.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

mariooncrack posted:

Just finished Hi Score Girl. I realized I never played the Final Fight series. What's the best way to do that these days?

"Best"? Real CPS-1 PCB on a well-maintained Japanese CRT candy cab.

Actual answer: Capcom Beat-Em-Up Bundle.

The sequels are console-exclusive. Mighty FF on NES is a cool game. I think there's a fighting game or two on Saturn?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The saturn and PS2 games are pretty attrocious.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Is final fight on that horribly shaped capcom arcade all in one thing?

If so that's the most hilarious way to play it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Final Fight Revenge is pretty heckin' stupid.

Final Fight Streetwise is bad.

OG Final Fight Arcade still holds up. Whether CPS1, MiSTer, or emulation, pick your poison and you'll be fine.

Final Fight CD has the hilarious voiceover track and arranged soundtrack.

Final Fight 2 and 3? I bounced off those hard.

Mighty Final Fight is maybe good for one whole playthrough, but other than that it's quite shallow.

Don't play the Final Fight version for the SNES. Just don't.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Don't play the Final Fight version for the SNES. Just don't.

I like it :smith: probably mostly nostalgia I guess.

Final Fight CD soundtrack is reeeal good though

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Code Jockey posted:

I like it :smith: probably mostly nostalgia I guess.

Final Fight CD soundtrack is reeeal good though

I personally played the dogshit out of it growing up, and while there's fun to be had, there's really no reason to play that specific port anymore when most every other iteration dwarfs it in almost every capacity.

• No two-player (almost wrote Two P, but then, no, he's there)
• Billy and Sid
• No Industrial Stage/No Rolento
• Garbagetown censorships named Thrasher and Katana (one of which lasted all the way to Street Fighter Alpha 2 for some reason) (yes, I know Mighty Final Fight also contains these)

If one-player Final Fight is your jam, go for Final Fight One on the GBA. It is the superior port.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

The Amiga version has the best writing though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat, a 336lb traffic warden?

Nice get

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rob Ford?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

holy lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

What the hell

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I am glad Guy had a long and fulfilling life

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

:lol:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bloopsy posted:

I believe that game was on the cover of the Oct 94 issue of Nintendo Power, so I would bet it's in the Oct or November issue. I looked through a box of Game Player's I had and of course I'm missing Aug 94-Dec 94.

I really appreciate you looking.

It's weird, I went through every Game pro, EGM, and Game Player's from around that time and none of them reviewed IoG from what I can see.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

WTF Haggar seriously

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Agrias120 posted:

TerraOnion just announced MODE, an ODE that works for either Dreamcast or Saturn:
https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17-Terraonion_MODE_Dreamcast_Saturn_ODE.html

I keep waffling back and forth on this. My retro backlog is enormous and I don't even currently own a Saturn or Dreamcast. I have barely touched my MiSTer and I've got the Mini NT coming... but it's such a cool piece of hardware. :retrogames:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Does anyone know what would cause a Sega Saturn to emit ungodly loud audio static when CD Audio is playing but be otherwise fine? Have a newly picked up Saturn I got with a dead disc drive and put a Fenrir ODE in and got that problem and trying to figure out if it's an issue with the console or the Fenrir ODE. (Internally indicators are the previous owner messed with the disc drive cables, and it was completely dead.)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

No expert but are the wires unshielded? Sounds like some cross talk.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Azubah posted:

No expert but are the wires unshielded? Sounds like some cross talk.

It's a very shielded RGB cable (coax from RetroAccess) I'm using for SCART into a RetroTink 2X SCART, and the issue isn't happening for non-CD Audio audio (anything that's not redbook audio sounds crystal clear.)

My best idea is maybe getting it recapped?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Haggar, no!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

now that is some creative license

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

the best beat 'em up is actually Violent Storm

soundtrack anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2nNg228Xg

I'm gonna get you eventually!
Everybody wanna knock Geldo down!
I'll go straight to Sheena (Sheena),
And I'll be there, yes I will!
This world is very difficult,
but I've got nothing to lose now!
There's no defeat, you'd sooner die!
Challenge the beginning of the end!
For I rescue Sheena,
I'm never gonna stop! (Feel my power!)
Now I spend my time fighting all around!
I'm a tough guy! (Do them in!)
You think you can beat us,
we got the look, oh so fine!
Just wait, I'll get even with you!

GET IT ON!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of soundtracks, oh poo poo HFM dropped another midi covers album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7H9UpV62M

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Much to the chagrin of the people who have been paying $900-$1000 for them on Ebay, Analogue has NT Mini Noir pre-orders back up if you missed them and have been regretting it. Either they are making more or people started cancelling due to the corona stuff. Your bank might charge you an international fee.

https://www.analogue.co/store/#nt-mini-noir

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 21, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well there goes the rest of my Trumpbucks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
:wtc:

Is it too much to ask for a plastic NT Mini? 500 dollars is still loving stupid. :argh:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

:wtc:

Is it too much to ask for a plastic NT Mini? 500 dollars is still loving stupid. :argh:

https://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=36

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I am aware of it and it sucks poo poo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I am aware of it and it sucks poo poo.

Oh?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

An exaggeration. It just doesn’t have the features I’m looking for compared to the NT Mini.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I see a lot of GDEMU sellers on ebay, is it safe to assume it'll be fine to go with whichever one as long as the seller has a good rating?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

I see a lot of GDEMU sellers on ebay, is it safe to assume it'll be fine to go with whichever one as long as the seller has a good rating?

AFAIK the clones have been fine from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://mobile.twitter.com/tsongihy/status/1252747851848839168?s=20

Looks like the Saturn and Dreamcast will get a Brook converter soon and it'll be in one little box. Pretty cool.