Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
What is this? I’m having trouble picturing what this virtual currency might look like in practice if it’s not linked to a bank account. If it is, it’s just card or phone payment, which already exists, but the article says it’s not, so, I’m at a loss. Is it buttcoins with Chinese characteristics, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yah, is this some dumb bullshit like Deus Ex credit chits or what the hell? Doesn't everyone already pay by smartphone? What possible utility could this have, even for spying on people?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Maybe because the work has all already been done, and they only need to copy alipay and wechat pay, then they can act like it's a big accomplishment? Some guy needed to look like he was doing his job so he just took an already existing idea and ran with it?

I dunno it doesn't make much sense to me, but if you made me come up with an explanation that'd be my guess.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I wonder if this is what Chinese tinder scammers are trying to get me to invest in

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HerStuddMuffin posted:

What is this? I’m having trouble picturing what this virtual currency might look like in practice if it’s not linked to a bank account. If it is, it’s just card or phone payment, which already exists, but the article says it’s not, so, I’m at a loss. Is it buttcoins with Chinese characteristics, or what?

its a scheme to get rid of physical currency so that every transaction can be monitored

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

but then hows everyone gonna do cool shady stuff?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

BrainDance posted:

but then hows everyone gonna do cool shady stuff?

that crime app from the current season of westworld

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If they have to "issue" it to people, and indeed if there even is the ability to "issue" it at all, then that means it's an entirely separate currency, not just a digitization of RMB.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

It's gonna have to be pegged to the rmb though, right? If it wasn't, wouldn't that make a lot of problems, having two different currencies whose values fluctuate independently of each other?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
no why

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Bitcoin with chinese characteristics

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i thought this was a pretty good joke

https://twitter.com/CRTejada/status/1252468034179985409?s=20

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
haha that is pretty good

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Context: There is a saying in Chinese that means something like "let's go!" or "you got this!" Or "gently caress yeah!". The phrase is "add oil.'

January: Wuhan add oil!
Feb: China add oil!
March: World add oil!
April: ... ... we added too much oil

It's loving funny.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's everyone's prop bet on KJU's mystery illness?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...l-idUSKBN223011

Given his rumoured diet I'm taking gall bladder surgery with a side wager on enlarged pancreas.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
"Step on/Hit the gas!" was the translation I was given most often.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'd treat hearsay about Nork leadership as exactly that until something with a little more evidence can come out. Preeeeetty sure they'd keep this clammed up, even with the success of Un's purges.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Roumba posted:

In hindsight that makes a lot of sense and even makes it work better idiomatically.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shumagorath posted:

What's everyone's prop bet on KJU's mystery illness?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...l-idUSKBN223011

Given his rumoured diet I'm taking gall bladder surgery with a side wager on enlarged pancreas.

He's apparently a chain-smoker as well.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that's just being a korean dude

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Roumba posted:

That does work but thinking about the phrase as one big oil metaphor just seems wrong to me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that's just being a korean dude

If we're going to generalize, then his liver is probably in pretty rough shape as well. (S. Korea ranked #17 for alcohol consumption per capita) His dad was a phenomenal Hennessy hound and was their best customer (which also includes chain bars, hotels, airlines, and clubs) for a number of years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blistex posted:

If we're going to generalize, then his liver is probably in pretty rough shape as well. (S. Korea ranked #17 for alcohol consumption per capita)

They dropped that much? When I lived in Korea they were tied with Russia for #1.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the thing goes, soju counts as liquor by many standards but has half the abv as vodka so if youre measuring by liquor volume its korea tied w russia but if its volume of etoh korea is just solidly up there

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

the thing goes, soju counts as liquor by many standards but has half the abv as vodka so if youre measuring by liquor volume its korea tied w russia but if its volume of etoh korea is just solidly up there

The stats I remember had Korea's volume significantly higher than Russia, but when you corrected for alcohol it was the same. Korea's drunk as poo poo, in any case. That's part of why it's fun.

I am not for a minute believing Japan's numbers. Japan isn't as drunk as Korea but there is no way they only drink half as much. Especially considering Korea has a ton of evangelical Christians who don't drink at all.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

They dropped that much? When I lived in Korea they were tied with Russia for #1.

It's no longer the Korea we know and love man. . . <pours a bottle of Chamisul on the ground>

Edit: Just a reminder that one of my coworkers in Korea was a lady from Scotland who decided to move there and work for a year so she could, "dry out".

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
explanation goes, korean and japanese drinking is both highly gendered but japans is way more gendered so women drink less there relatively

also its not like a consensus on soju like it is in korea

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I remember the week of freaking out when the base of base soju went from $1 to $1.20 a bottle.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember the week of freaking out when the base of base soju went from $1 to $1.20 a bottle.

I was expecting a million-candle vigil or homemade flamethrower riots when that happened.

explanation goes, korean and japanese drinking is both highly gendered but japans is way more gendered so women drink less there relatively

From what I have seen of Korean women, (maybe I was just hanging around with extra-awesome ladies) they hold their own when it comes to alcohol consumption when the men are not around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This is maybe the worst thing about Korea. You have makgeolli, one of the world's great drinks, but you scorn it in favor of industrial ethanol with a bunch of aspartame poured in it?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

This is maybe the worst thing about Korea. You have makgeolli, one of the world's great drinks, but you scorn it in favor of industrial ethanol with a bunch of aspartame poured in it?

Dong Dong Ju :colbert:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

traditionally made soju is strongly random but when its good its really good

kind of a shame about the ethanol dilution, sure. it does cost 1200 or 1500 won tho, can't have a handmade product at that cost

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roumba posted:

Never heard this interpretation and doesn't really make sense. A closer translation is "Go XYZ!" "or "Push forward HK!" as it is a show of support not an instruction. The joke works because it's a literal translation than an interpretation which is was you normally want. Literal translations gets you Chingrish.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

traditionally made soju is strongly random but when its good its really good

kind of a shame about the ethanol dilution, sure. it does cost 1200 or 1500 won tho, can't have a handmade product at that cost

My friend's father in law makes his own soju (on top of his mountain from ingredients he grows himself) and he's tested some of his variants at +60%. Unfortunately he is a big ginseng fanatic, most of what he makes tastes like dirt. He had a special room in his house customized to be at the perfect temperature, and he has shelves and shelves of homemade soju in massive glass jugs. The best soju I ever had some some 30% stuff he made that his daughter threw a bunch of sugar cane and coconut chunks into. Then she ran it through some sort of charcoal filter a few times and it was like Malibu, but tasted better. You could drink that stuff straight and there was not burn or horrible aftertaste.

Best thing I ever saw Soju related was at a Korean restaurant in Beijing where these Russians at the table next to my wife and I wanted to get some liquor with their meal, but didn't know what anything was. I told them Soju, and when they tried it the look on their faces and the looks they shot me were worth it. (they were not fans)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you gotta go light on the ginseng but peeps here wanting to be extra patriotic on the national liquor so they put too much in

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

you gotta go light on the ginseng but peeps here wanting to be extra patriotic on the national liquor so they put too much in

Whenever I buy a Vita 500, and Let's Be mild or a Korean Red Ginseng drink I get a little bit of nostalgia for the land of sparkling. Also whenever I drink the Red Ginseng drink my wife says I smell like an ajoshi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm like three years into saying "I need to make some makgeolli" on a weekly basis and then... not.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get kits on amazon

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a bag of nuruk, I just have to actually do something about it. Also I need a steamer basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm like three years into saying "I need to make some makgeolli" on a weekly basis and then... not.

I make a big batch of kimchi every few months or so. Takes me back.