Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jingleheimer posted:

I set the maximum people at 4, probably should have done less. There's still a lot of people trying to enter and exit at the same time. This is my first time using turnip exchange but next time I have a high price I'll make it 2 or 3. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Or Nintendo could fix their poo poo lol

Thanks for opening up your town :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Jingleheimer posted:

I set the maximum people at 4, probably should have done less. There's still a lot of people trying to enter and exit at the same time. This is my first time using turnip exchange but next time I have a high price I'll make it 2 or 3. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Do you have/want the sauna heater DIY? Bamboo Shoot Lamp? log couch?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

Isabelle told me I need more shops. I already have the only two that exist??

how many villagers do you have? she stopped telling me that after I invited a 9th onto the island

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

Either leftover code before they decided to consolidate previous shops as visitors or a sign of what's to come in DLC.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Prowler posted:

Do you have/want the sauna heater DIY? Bamboo Shoot Lamp? log couch?

I'll take anything you don't want. I was thinking sometime maybe next week when I don't have people rushing in to sell turnips, I'll open up for people who want to exchange DIY stuff or furniture to catalog.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I can't believe Nintendo is leaving us high and dry with zero content. Unbelievable that they cut so much and they just let the game release unfinished forever.

I'm really looking forward to a new museum wing and more gardening options. :shobon:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

tildes posted:

Hadn't seen that second one before, thanks for posting! I added it to the resources collection as a link (along w the first -- see the sheet here https://www.shorturl.at/yDQ28), but if you want to add more or expand on it from your experience definitely do! The flower hybrids section is basically a collection of infographics and links right now and could probably use a better organization but :effort:

Yeah, I've gotten blue roses. In the google sheet guide I linked above there are ~3 different ways to get them listed in the section Flowers -> Blue roses.

I am not hard working enough to do it from seeds in the really controlled way, so I just made a ton of hybrid reds from either oj/white or oj/purple and stuck them in a giant field until I started getting blue roses.

Sorry for the dumb, my brain is fried, what does OJ mean in this context? Couldn't find an explanation for that bit in the doc either but could totally be missing it. Thank you for the confirmation though, I would love to be able to make this blue rose crown DIY I've had for a minute!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Jingleheimer posted:

I'll take anything you don't want. I was thinking sometime maybe next week when I don't have people rushing in to sell turnips, I'll open up for people who want to exchange DIY stuff or furniture to catalog.

I'll bring the most unique of the bunch. I distribute DIYs and have been building up to a big cataloging event for my island, as well! Had to pause briefly so I could grow at least one Lily of the Valley before dropping back to 4 stars and a lot of "litter."

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Kalsco posted:

I can't believe Nintendo is leaving us high and dry with zero content. Unbelievable that they cut so much and they just let the game release unfinished forever.

I'm really looking forward to a new museum wing and more gardening options. :shobon:

This isn't the Mario Party thread.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Frankston posted:

Isabelle keeps sending me in circles.

"Put more fences down"

Ok, done

"Put more crafted items down"

Ok.

"Put more nook mile items down"

Cool, no problem. I should be close to 5 stars now right?

"Put more fences down"

God damnit.

Hobo Clown posted:

Town ratings only have two things they measure: Development and Scenery. Those are the only important words you need to pay attention to when Isabelle is telling you what you need.

Development is shops, bridges, and any store bought furniture.
Scenery is flowers, trees, and any DIY furniture.

I forget what fences are. You craft them so they might be scenery. In any case, I'm pretty sure there's no actual fence requirement, she just mentions fences when you're low in one of those two categories.

She gives you a random "more development!" bark when you need development, and so that's when she talks about shops, even though you have all the shops already. It's all generic advice.

In addition to those two numbers you're pumping up, there are a couple common numbers you can exceed that prevent your rating from going up: You need less than 220 trees, and less than 15ish items on the ground (loose items like turnips and furniture leafs). Shells and natural things on the ground are fine. Sticks may or may not be fine, but probably are. Isabelle will specifically tell you if either of these things is a problem after she tells you to boost either development or scenery.

Last thing, and this is the biggest thing for me: you can have as many weeds as you want. The wiki and a bunch of other people are straight up lying about that. My town is 5 stars and half weeds. It's great.

There are some "clutter" rules, where you get less points for stuff if you don't have free space or something, but I didn't worry about that. Keep pumping up your numbers. I bought a shitton of nook miles furniture for development, and I ended up planting like 50 flowers for scenery and instantly got my 5 star rating (after picking up my 20 tastefully arranged stacks of turnips).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Prowler posted:

So happy I decided to dig out a one cliff path to that beach and hide it with trees so it's a "secret passage" (that you can see if you're on the second level, but whatever).

Ah, I found a way to do it without disrupting my high river. Yeah I was thinking about that kind of thing but in the end decided to make it easy to reach from my northmost level 3 house. Speaking of which I'm having to move the house back to my original placement so tomorrow I can move it AGAIN since it was one space too far left to line up with the incline leading up to it :doh:

Edit: Hey I know that we can have 10 villagers max, but in the map area that leaves a blank space where everybody is lined up on the left of the screen. Is that space reserved for another person who is sharing your Switch with you if you are playing with housemate/spouse/kid/very smart dog?

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 21, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Help Im Alive posted:

How come New Leaf turnips didn't break peoples brains like this
they absolutely did, there were a lot of crazies back then as well

this game is just more popular and the online is (slightly)easier

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Jingleheimer posted:

The queue is now locked. I'm staying open for the last 25 people in line. Please make sure you're leaving the queue when you exit the island.

Thanks to all of you guys who left tips and gifts!

gently caress. I took a nap and I'm still not up in line. If I never make it in, thanks anyways, Jingleheimer.

edit: how do people need to be there for 35mins?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 21, 2020

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

they absolutely did, there were a lot of crazies back then as well

this game is just more popular and the online is (slightly)easier
The online might be a huge mess, but it's a lot easier than New Leaf for one reason: Friend Codes.

You couldn't run a turnip exchange when everyone had to befriend each other back and forth.

The ease of Dodo Codes are what's facilitating all this online madness.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hobo Clown posted:

Build an adorable Stall item already and maybe customize it with a fun pattern. It has a cash box under the counter and everything...

E: I made over 500k bells building Stalls and selling them as my Hot Item today, so you should listen to what I know about them!

E2. Also, if you want more patterns, talk to Sable.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 21, 2020

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Reopening up while I AFK if anyone wants to buy clothes - Ables’ is selling Tron-like cyber suits, princess dresses, waistcoats, paintball masks, samurai armor, eyepatch & more.

Filbert is also crafting a deer head wall decoration.

Fossil dupes available to take on the stalls:
Brachio skull
Archelon tail
Ankylo torso
Juramaia x1
Plesiosaur body
T-Rex tail
Diplo tail tip
Tricera torso
Deinony tail
Left quetzal wing
Spino tail

-closed since crafting’s stopped, thanks for visiting-

Still on the lookout for different colored floor lights besides white/pink/purple, if anyone has some they want to donate!

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 22, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kalsco posted:

yea I'm shocked how much they're adding, I'm really hoping this means the rest of the datamine is true and maybe this summer we get that diving/vegetable growing stuff too

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

The Sean posted:

gently caress. I took a nap and I'm still not up in line. If I never make it in, thanks anyways, Jingleheimer.

edit: how do people need to be there for 35mins?

As long as you're in line you're good. Looks like one or maybe even two people didn't leave the queue. I just didn't clear then off because 4 people trying to get in and leave at the same time was gridlocking the island.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

How do I get to that screen from the Ables place? I've been just buying the on-display pieces every day but that's like, 6 items total + the 2 mannequins that rotate weekly?

Feel like I'm massively missing out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pleads posted:

How do I get to that screen from the Ables place? I've been just buying the on-display pieces every day but that's like, 6 items total + the 2 mannequins that rotate weekly?

You go into the changing room on the right of the shop. It's the place with the curtains.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Pleads posted:

Walk up to the dressing room curtain to the right and hit A, buddy. You're gonna be a star! :cosmic2day:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ah, I found a way to do it without disrupting my high river. Yeah I was thinking about that kind of thing but in the end decided to make it easy to reach from my northmost level 3 house. Speaking of which I'm having to move the house back to my original placement so tomorrow I can move it AGAIN since it was one space too far left to line up with the incline leading up to it :doh:

Uh, I had the opportunity to put my house down after placing a ramp, and I COULD NOT get the door to line up with the ramp. I'm not sure if it was an issue with the ramp placement or if it's just how it works--at the very least, be forewarned...

I wonder if changing my exterior will make it line up?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I wish I had a way to see who had visited my island. I opened it up to my friendslist (which is 80% goons from the sheet) while I was at work, and some very unchill person(s) came in and not only plucked the hybrids I was growing by my house, but also decided to shake the bell tree growing there and take those too.

And it's not like my house is in the main thoroughfare; I've got it all the way up north on the cliffs by itself so someone had to go wandering to find it.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I basically dug a path from the “north west”/left most beach to the secret beach on the bottom most terrain level. (I also put a path down the whole way so it doesn’t get any fossils.)

I also have a ramp hidden on the back/“north” side down from one of my second tiers to a bottom tier and it’s fine. I cleared a space for placing it and then rebuilt the cliff after I paid the bridge off.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Jingleheimer posted:

As long as you're in line you're good. Looks like one or maybe even two people didn't leave the queue. I just didn't clear then off because 4 people trying to get in and leave at the same time was gridlocking the island.

Sounds good. Again, even if I don't get in I really appreciate it. Not really complaining.

edit: gently caress. queue says it's locked. I'll unload my turnips tomorrow. I guess I don't understand this site.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 21, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I finally unlocked terraforming the other day, and just today finished shaping my island how I want it. Well, mostly, making curved cliff walls is hard, so I just have a bunch of V shapes instead of C shaped ones. Anyway, I just did the math since I need to move literally every building I have, get all the ramps and bridges, and finish upgrading my house, I'll need 6.75 MILLION BELLS. I currently have 50k lol, but I do have a bunch of turnips to flip at some point this week. Dunno if that'll get me to 6 million or so, but it's a start. The bigger issue though, is that this is going to take me just over two weeks to get everything moved. Thirteen days for the buildings, and sixteen days for my eight bridges and eight ramps. I wasn't planning on setting up my flower breeding area until I had all the houses in the way moved, but I don't think I'll want to wait two weeks to get that started. So I'll just have a mess of an island for a hot minute. I just know too, that as soon as I get everything situated I'm going to want to change something around again.

Once I get everything situated though, I think I'm going to start opening the island for Goon Visits (TM). But man, that's going to be a minute.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You go into the changing room on the right of the shop. It's the place with the curtains.

Lux Animus posted:

Walk up to the dressing room curtain to the right and hit A, buddy. You're gonna be a star! :cosmic2day:
:doh: Oh boy, that should have been very obvious. Thanks!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm going mad but the 11am music reminds me of the Gran Turismo garage music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCmFNMXLpIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJGVtR34LI

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Nemo2342 posted:

I wish I had a way to see who had visited my island. I opened it up to my friendslist (which is 80% goons from the sheet) while I was at work, and some very unchill person(s) came in and not only plucked the hybrids I was growing by my house, but also decided to shake the bell tree growing there and take those too.

And it's not like my house is in the main thoroughfare; I've got it all the way up north on the cliffs by itself so someone had to go wandering to find it.

That sucks, I'm sorry. Closest I could think would be cross-referencing with the friend list spreadsheet in the OP, but I imagine most people now aren't using that (I haven't received a request in a couple of weeks). A list of visitors would be a welcome feature. It's clear we've got it better than a lot of the 'online community', but even so it would be nice to blacklist problem visitors.

As I typed "blacklist problem visitors" I remembered this is a game about catching fish and insects to sell to talking animals.

I've got a bunch of hybrids I can spare; let me know what you're missing and I'll see if I can help.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

track day bro! posted:

Maybe I'm going mad but the 11am music reminds me of the Gran Turismo garage music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCmFNMXLpIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJGVtR34LI

Whoah.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I know it's nothing new, but god the Airport UI is so obnoxiously bad. Hit B one to many times? Oh drumsticks, kicked back to start. Got code wrong? Oh drumsticks, no chance to fix, go back to start. Selected the wrong option? Oh Drumsticks, back to Start. Island Full? No option to try again, just a janky error message and back to start.

Something a bit odd too: I've idled in queues at the dodo code entry a few times, tried it again today and apparently my connection timed out waiting.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Cercueil posted:

Gonna open up the island of Dirge for a bit. CLOSED
Ables has glengarry (Scottish cap), Egyptian dress, and visual punk dress.
Turnips are poo poo and you'll need to bring a ladder to get to Nook's (stairs to aren't built yet).
Label's also in town and is looking for vacation fashion.

https://twitter.com/CercueilSA/status/1252707979096293377

So come dressed like you just bought a bunch of cheap souvenirs from South of the Border!

Sorry to the guy who wanted a bamboo shoot. was doing laundry

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why does doing the designer app act like you're going online instead of just instantly switching over to designer mode

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Oxyclean posted:

I know it's nothing new, but god the Airport UI is so obnoxiously bad. Hit B one to many times? Oh drumsticks, kicked back to start. Got code wrong? Oh drumsticks, no chance to fix, go back to start. Selected the wrong option? Oh Drumsticks, back to Start. Island Full? No option to try again, just a janky error message and back to start.

Something a bit odd too: I've idled in queues at the dodo code entry a few times, tried it again today and apparently my connection timed out waiting.

Basically everything to do with the online could use some work. Getting in or out of an island can be a nightmare if it's populated by more than one or two people at a time and if you're trying to do something like talk to an NPC handing out a crafting item, or leave but someone somewhere won't stop a conversation it can feel kind of weird.

Meanwhile If you're on the island you can't do anything because every time you talk to a guy, check a sign or do anything other than stand in place it's like "STOP THAT". Sometimes you go to an island to talk to a bear about a toilet, then you go to leave and there's just five people stuck hostage because one guy won't stop fishing.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Nuebot posted:

Basically everything to do with the online could use some work. Getting in or out of an island can be a nightmare if it's populated by more than one or two people at a time and if you're trying to do something like talk to an NPC handing out a crafting item, or leave but someone somewhere won't stop a conversation it can feel kind of weird.

Meanwhile If you're on the island you can't do anything because every time you talk to a guy, check a sign or do anything other than stand in place it's like "STOP THAT". Sometimes you go to an island to talk to a bear about a toilet, then you go to leave and there's just five people stuck hostage because one guy won't stop fishing.

Well put. For a chill game, it's a pretty aggavating online experience.

"Oh, you'd like to buy some clothes? Please step into the changing room"

"STOP YOUR CONVERSATION YOU INCONSIDERATE poo poo"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nuebot posted:

Sometimes you go to an island to talk to a bear about a toilet

As you do

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh. There's no reward for finishing the fossil collection?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Beardo is a man with highly specific but refined tastes and skills.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is it me or are things much laggier outside of the cherry blossom mini-season? Today my cherry blossoms ended and suddenly many parts of my island have become kind of laggy/stuttery. It's enough to feel noticeable and it wasn't there last night and no changes have been made besides that season flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Nuebot posted:

Beardo is a man with highly specific but refined tastes and skills.

Does a bear poo poo in the woods? Not if he's ordered a tankless toilet from the catalogue.