Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

I'm a decade and a half late to the party, but the series peaked with the season 2 intro. I had the worst possible quality Youtube MP3 downloader rip of that song on my ipod/phone for drat ever. I still have yet to find a decent quality copy of the version/mix of the song and it haunts me. Super love the reverb they added in when the talking starts back up. Kind of surprised they didn't swing back around and bring in that lady Doc claimed to have knocked up at some point.

Fake edit:Found a decent video of it that was recently uploaded, but I need to try and source a CD or whatever. I had it in my head that it was an Aquagen song and lord knows house music is an almighty pain in the rear end to find the exact right track when you need it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M4U5_Lyzh8

I think I've mentioned before, but in the coffee table art book, they talk about how they didn't realize how expensive this song would be until wayyyyyy late in the process. Animation was well under way when they found out it was going to be outrageously expensive.

Doc pulled an all-nighter to create a sound-alike song to replace it with like the same structure and crescendo and everything that's required by the animation. They sent Doc's song to the executives, who said: "we'll pay for the real song."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When is Apple gonna get their poo poo together and stick a video camera on the Apple Watch to let nerds on YouTube make replica Venture wrist communicators that use FaceTime :mad:

e: lol at least someone made a Nozzle. Too bad it doesn't move.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 21, 2020

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"Come in, Brock. We have a level 1 guild threat."

"Oh, do you need an aspirin or somethin'?"

Good god, it's nice having Brock back.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would think just super science. Doesn’t Rusty go by Dr Venture despite not having a PhD, come to think of it?
I think it's why Doctor Orpheus calls him "mister Venture," and is the only one on the show to do so. Even Monarch calls him doctor.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 21, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think some Caribbean school gave him an honorary doctorate

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I think some Caribbean school gave him an honorary doctorate
Honorary degrees aren't real. He's a doctor like I'm a minister of the Universal Life Church.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

That's the original version of the song. The song from the show is an aquagen remix.

The closest version I could find is track 1 off this cd:

https://www.discogs.com/Aquagen-Feat-Rozalla-Everybodys-Free/release/37919

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 22, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You’ve got an extra period at the end of that url friend. I was looking at that earlier today and I’m working out whether or not I’m willing to import a weird German techno house CD because reasons.

The answer is naturally “you bet your rear end I am”.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The first episode has Doc getting an honorary degree from a university in Tijuana.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

"Come in, Brock. We have a level 1 guild threat."

"Oh, do you need an aspirin or somethin'?"

Good god, it's nice having Brock back.

I think it's why Doctor Orpheus calls him "mister Venture," and is the only one on the show to do so. Even Monarch calls him doctor.

A little ironic given Orpheus has a doctorate in communications.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The first episode has Doc getting an honorary degree from a university in Tijuana.

Nah he's just there to do a lecture and try and score some cheap Mexican drugs

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like the irony of Billy hitting him with an "Goodnight, Honorary Doctor Venture" on Gargantua-2, considering Billy's doctorate isn't entirely legitimate.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Daikloktos posted:

I like the irony of Billy hitting him with an "Goodnight, Honorary Doctor Venture" on Gargantua-2, considering Billy's doctorate isn't entirely legitimate.

billy at least has the skills to back it up, the only reason he didn't have a doctorate prior to monstroso was all the poo poo that went down in invisible hand of fate

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Between the joy can, walking eye, god gas, and whatever else Doc has plenty of sufficient dissertations lying around. Don't string me up for forgetting if any of those are Jonas leftovers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The god gas is a Jonas Jr leftover, though the walking eye and joy can are Rusty's. And he did eventually perfect the teleporter. (and of course the OSI shut that poo poo down, which goes a way to explain things) And the Ooo-ray in the pilot. And Venturestein.

Mind you, if the Helpers are any indication, I get the impression that Jonas wasn't exactly good at practical applications either. It does explain a lot that apparently the US military will buy pretty much any semi-functional weird poo poo a Venture comes up with which doesn't immediately turn on them and use it to blow up third worlders.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
So like... Is "Quizboy" the Ventureverse term for a Bobby Fischer or a Doogie Howser type, and the game show Quizboys is just named after this concept? Or is Billy like if Ken Jennings decided to start doing some Elon Musk poo poo under the name Ken Jeopardy?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's just a takeoff on the dozens of different shows like this over the years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzK3rEboFo4

It's a long tradition that stretches back to radio.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

His whole backstory seems a pretty accurate take on how they often went too, with an even more pathetic version of the exploitation and fast living of a child star at the expense of a normal life, even before things get silly.

Actually, a lot makes sense that Pete is basically a cut-rate Rusty Venture, with Billy being more equivalent to Hank and Dean. A lot of child prodigies burn out badly when they reach the limits of where their raw talent can take them, and/or when they realise a pre-teen college graduate is unemployable and has no functional social skills. When Pete says the brothers won't last five minutes outside the compound because they have no life skills, he's speaking from experience. Billy's basically been a back-alley doctor until he had his credentials forged, though it seems like working for Rusty now he actually has the money and inclination to pay them is probably a good deal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't see Pete as a cut-rate Rusty. In contrast to everyone else on the show he just seems like a regular guy who got caught up in this crazy world. He was a computer programmer who ran a college radio show, that's it. He's no super-scientist, not even close until Conjectural Technologies scammed their way into existence and gave him the means and inclination to hang with the big boys. And even then I wouldn't call him a super scientist, just a programmer who gets to hang out with a few super-scientists. All we see him do in season 6/7 is program/hack or spitball ideas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean more that he's Rusty's old college buddy, and doesn't seem to be doing much with his life besides try to skive off other people's talents, like when he was Billy's manager, and at one point the outright gets called out as a starfucker. Zero even considers him to be a villain, and he's definitely shown as one of the sleaziest of Rusty's circle besides maybe Rusty himself, and unlike the rest he seems to have enough experience with the normal world to know better. His level 1 arching with St Cloud (though it seems that wasn't made official until they moved to New York) is outright shown as a children's panto-esque reflection of Rusty and the Monarch, complete with them stage-managing both sides like semi-interested parents. And they even had their own bombastically named company that doesn't actually do anything substantial, much like Rusty had a whole scientific and industrial compound he had no real idea what to do with.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I don't think we can call Billy's credentials 'forged'. Monstroso was a supervillian and a lawyer, if anyone could make something perfectly legal then he could.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pershing posted:

I don't think we can call Billy's credentials 'forged'. Monstroso was a supervillian and a lawyer, if anyone could make something perfectly legal then he could.

I believe Monstroso specifically says they'll be legal. Certainly not earned, but they're possibly completely un-forged.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure they're explicitly forged, but a good job of it that'll hold up under scrutiny. Monstroso was a crooked lawyer supervillain, he knows his poo poo. And as a man with health problems I imagine he had intended to get on Billy's good side since he might have needed his skills again at some point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I like to imagine the man had a video will and out of habit still kept offering cigars to the camera.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean I’m willing to give Billy the benefit of the doubt since he actually successfully performed the surgery though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

(https://www.henchblog.com)

I saw this new SA ad at the bottom, and thought Venture Brothers right away. I've not watched any of his videos, but if he doesn't sound exactly like Two-Ton 21, then it's a waste of time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean I’m willing to give Billy the benefit of the doubt since he actually successfully performed the surgery though.

Oh, yeah, and he sewed a goddamn second head onto Red Mantle, there's no denying he's a super-surgeon, but he admits to being self-taught. Which raises a lot of questions we may not want to know the answers to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Though he talked about being so tired of killing mice in the god gas episode, so I don't think Billy has a dark history in that regard. Plus he had his skills by the time he was in college and assisting Hamilton, so I'm thinking he's just a Doogie Howser savant who probably has a history of falsifying his credentials like we saw in The Silent Partners. Hopefully he started by faking being a medical student rather than jumping straight to pretending to be a surgeon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tarlibone posted:

I turned on the Adult Swim app on my Fire Stick, and what do I see? "Fallen Arches."

WALKING EYE!
RECONNAISSANCE APPLICATIONS!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Monkey-proof welding.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually there's probably a good chance he's cut his teeth on clones of Hank and Dean.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Or dead/dying Monarch henchmen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have the artbook for the show coming on Sunday. I can’t wait, it looks incredible. I haven’t bought an artbook for something since Half Life 2:Raising the Bar in like 2004.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It is far and away, no exaggeration, my favorite behind-the-scenes thing ever. It's not an art book, per-se. It's a history and a series bible and and art book and an episode commentary all wrapped up into one. Enjoy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I love mine even though I haven't gone through the whole thing yet.

I think I'm going go do a complete watch-through at some point and read the book as I do the episodes for maximum impact.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I love mine even though I haven't gone through the whole thing yet.

I think I'm going go do a complete watch-through at some point and read the book as I do the episodes for maximum impact.

I did this last year and it was 100% worth it. I recommend reading the book first and then watching the episode; I started the other way around because I thought it was better to go in to each episode with the fog of memory, but found it was more fun if I knew what to look out for.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
It is an art book, but it is also a detailed, behind-the-scenes encyclopedia of all things Venture.

The show, not the department store.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This has gotten me to read more of the book to correspond to my recent rewatch, as even though I love it, it's dense enough that I've still only read it in parts. In the commentaries and the book they occasionally reference that they read one message board and one message board only. Anyone have a clue as to which one that might be? I'd normally assume Reddit but they seem like the sort of guys who would actively avoid that, and that they're old school enough that they'd prefer a real bulletin board format to a subreddit. I'm sure it's not here because we're too obscure of a single thread in a much larger community that you probably couldn't find us if you tried, but where are the other active VB communities and ongoing discussions out there that they could be referring to?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
It might have been the old Adult Swim board. They had dedicated boards for each show, and it was pretty good, even if about half of the people didn't know how to fiction and posted under the delusion that every single line of dialog needed to be interpreted as writer's-bible-caliber canon.

Later, AS moved to a horrible system that was like reddit, but without all the subs, so literally everything was dumped on one glorified bulletin board. Not long after, they shut it all down. If I didn't know better, I would suggest that the ridiculously bad final board iteration existed solely to drive users away.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

it’d be right in AS’s wheelhouse to do so

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My artbook showed up a day early! The quality of this thing is awesome, I can’t believe I snagged it for ~20 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wanted a VB fix after fully reading through the art book post-rewatch. I know it's been harped on before, but the new DuckTales really is The Rusty Venture Show. I'd watched a handful of episodes before but it was the first time I'd really watched the show in earnest. It's just a super streamlined VB without the cynicism and bureaucracy and trauma.