Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The youtube video in the steam description is, uhm... what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOydginNw6M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Aw gently caress, it was $9 on Fanatical, I just bought XCOM. Yay for friday and I hope it's good.

I did this too. For $9 how bad could a new xcom really be? I sure wish they actually had a key in hand before taking my money, though. Having a key of "Your XCOM®: Chimera Squad key will be available on or before the release date" makes me nervous.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

I did this too. For $9 how bad could a new xcom really be? I sure wish they actually had a key in hand before taking my money, though. Having a key of "Your XCOM®: Chimera Squad key will be available on or before the release date" makes me nervous.

Yeah, it's PROBABLY fine because it's by Fireaxis, but for $20 it's probably 2 hours long or some poo poo by their B-team and maybe it's buggy and who knows but $9 is about what I would pay for a lunch if I still physically went into work.

I'm a little concerned it recommends a 980 (1060 is basically equivalent and what I have)

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 22, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So after having dropped it for like two years, I picked up Shadow Warrior 2 again, and marathoned through the rest of it, and it's...okay?

When I first played it, I bounced off it somewhat, because while the weapons were an improvement over SW2013, it was bogged down by the gem system, and having finished the game, I realize that's its biggest flaw; the interface for the gem system is so cumbersome. Switching gems around is frustrating because you need to back out to compare the current stats versus what they are with a gem, and the game dumps so many gems on you, it's virtually impossible to figure what you just picked up. It kills the flow of the game.

Combat gets pretty chaotic, and some fights descend into you just mashing the attack button with your melee weapon until whatever is in front of you cut to ribbons. It can be pretty cathartic, but visually, the screen turns into a huge mess attack effects. Some of the issues with the combat are my own fault, because I didn't regularly change gems, and I neglected to spend skill points when I got them. That said, I played through on Normal difficulty, and while I don't think I ever died (save maybe one or two times I don't recall), so it wasn't a matter of the game being too difficult, it was just things not clicking as well as they could have been because of me ignoring the upgrades. (Ex. there are skills you can get to boost your elemental damage output, and while I did dedicate certain weapon to put out elemental damage, I could have dumped more points into those skills.)

Storywise, it's...odd. I fully admit that I barely remember that much of the story in SW2013, but as I remember someone else pointing out, SW2 feels like there was some interquel between SW2013 and SW2 that we weren't privy to. Some of the dialog and quest objectives make it seem like the game was laid out differently, but was overhauled during development. It wasn't until I looked up a synopsis of SW2013 that I realized that the demon characters you meet (Ameonna, Xing, Mezu, Gozu) were characters that were featured in the illustrated flashbacks in SW2013. SW2 treats it like Wang had some more interaction after what happened in SW2013, but it could just be that I don't remember. Tonally, the characterizations are very disparate between the two games, but the more irreverent style in SW2 was entertaining; still, it might have worked better if it had been new characters, rather than ones returning from the previous game.

Visually speaking, it's a very nice looking game. I hate that it has a photo mode, because it means I had to stop every five minutes and fiddle with contrast and SSAO settings take super-resolution screenshots. The only environment that I think was really bad were the Zilla City areas, which can be an eyesore in certain areas with the eight-thousand hologram flora and signage.

I dunno; as an FPS-ARPG hybrid, it does okay, but I feel like it needed more polish or tweaking for it to work better.

Fake Edit: I wonder if I should post this as an actual Steam review.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, it's PROBABLY fine because it's by Fireaxis, but for $20 it's probably 2 hours long or some poo poo by their B-team and maybe it's buggy and who knows but $9 is about what I would pay for a lunch if I still physically went into work.

Supposedly they said it's about 20 hours. But otherwise, yeah, I rationalized it the same way.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

A Mortician's Tale was a great little story that addresses some of my grievances with Western death culture, was educational enough but not overly so, and had some pretty great comedic writing, on top of showing that everyone grieves differently and how the obstacles about talking about death are different for everyone.

I highly recommend it, you can blast though it in an hour.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I think those are chosen by some algorithm Valve slapped together and they're often hilariously inappropriate. That's the worst I've seen, though :gonk:

Usually it's "review of game with similar name gets linked to much smaller title" - I have no idea how they linked "Wildfire" and "Hompath".

E: :eng99: Whoops! It's Augmented Steam

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 22, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

A Mortician's Tale was a great little story that addresses some of my grievances with Western death culture, was educational enough but not overly so, and had some pretty great comedic writing, on top of showing that everyone grieves differently and how the obstacles about talking about death are different for everyone.

I highly recommend it, you can blast though it in an hour.

It's also free or pay-what-you-want on itch.io right now!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think Chimera Squad is an interesting way to test out a bunch of new mechanics for XCom 3 without devoting a whole bigger budget game to it. I also hope the uniqueness of the agents also means that all of my, e.g., snipers aren't just carbon copies of each other (I don't know if WOTC did anything to fix this with more interesting skill branching/options?)

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 22, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I don't see a youtube video in the description for Wildfire. :raise: Is this another one of those Enhanced Steam features that gets blamed on Valve?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I don't see a youtube video in the description for Wildfire. :raise: Is this another one of those Enhanced Steam features that gets blamed on Valve?

Yes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Why yes, yes it is :eng99:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I think Chimera Squad is an interesting way to test out a bunch of new mechanics for XCom 3 without devoting a whole bigger budget game to it. I also hope the uniqueness of the agents also means that all of my, e.g., snipers aren't just carbon copies of each other (I don't know if WOTC did anything to fix this with more interesting skill branching/options?)

It's partly addressed in WotC: In addition to regular promotions, individual soldiers accrue experience (and you also have a shared pool that you can dump into one or many soldiers) that you can buy individual abilities with. You can use it to get both upgrades for a rank or to get abilities from a third branch that's randomised for each soldier So a sniper might randomly get pistol-synergistic abilities in the new tree that might make short-range upgrades more enticing.

There are also passive missions (ie. soldiers are unavailable but you don't have to do anything unless they are ambushed) that can give specific permanent stat bonuses to specific soldiers on top of the mission prizes).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

gods, but I miss the way you equipped soldiers in X-COM, especially compared to how nightmarishly clunky XCOM 2 is about it. Did you make a new rifle? Sweet! Go find one specific soldier and click into their loadout, then on the weapon, and equip it.

Meanwhile X-COM: did you get a new gun? Sweet, go to the skyranger and toss it in the loadout with everything else. When your soldiers deploy into a mission, drop it onto someone and go. There's no chance to forget to equip it provided you toss it into the communal pool, and even if you DO forget, your soldiers can literally go and get it from the skyranger.

This also extends to how annoying it is to get, say, 5 of the new gun. Build each one individually, equip them individually. Meanwhile X-COM: buy 1 gun? Why not buy 5? Throw them all in the skyranger! Everyone gets a new gun!

e: fuuuuck this isn't the xcom thread, sorry!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 22, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tripwood posted:

The graphics haven't aged well at all but it is a very good DND 3.5 simulator with pausable real-time gameplay. Non magic-using classes are pretty boring to play though, but Rogues aren't TOO bad because they can use scrolls. If you're a DND nerd, you'll probably like it. I got obsessed with it as a teenager and played a lot of online coop, there even was a site to old school match-make roleplay games with an in-game DM that can play behind the scenes, spawn monsters, NPCs, etc. Never seen anything like that since then. There are a lot of user-made modules out there which go from not bad to excellent.

Every early D&D game since the days of the gold box were wildly impressive at the time because they represented a massive leap in quality and potential given the core playerbase were people playing pen and paper. I imagine Baldur's Gate was borderline revolutionary because it captured the go anywhere do anything spirit of the genre. Having a outstanding follow up that improved everything drastically created a legacy still in play today.

NWN and NWN2 hit right around the mid -aughts when the frenzy seemed to peak and the pattern of adapting PnP very literally to a video game was seen as the less optimal way to do it. Being built around 3.5 Ed which was rapidly collapsing under the weight of its own bloat made it more niche then its potential and being bug ridden messes (Obsidian and the standard excuses) turned a lot of casual players off.

Before gamergate outed a lot of "well actually its about ethics" people in gaming communities there were a lot of really, really toxic aspects to the user made fanbases treated like it was normal that could easily turn people off the idea of getting involved.

That, and since Dragon Age tried to be a classic PC WRPG then tied a noose and hung itself to poo poo out 2 more games a lot of games in that style recently have been either poo poo games, to grognard-y, or cheap attempts to cash in on nostalgia.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Okay I'm genuinely not trying to pick on you here but that post doesn't actually say anything useful about NWN or am I losing my mind.

As for the person asking is NWN SotU and HotUD are worth your time, probably. They're not perfect and even the EE of NWN is in some ways a chore to play but also I'm not exactly unbiased here because I like the vanilla NWN campaign (parts of it anyway) so probably don't listen to me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Base NWN did have some bitchin' fight tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvRc9wnXU6I

StrixNebulosa posted:

gods, but I miss the way you equipped soldiers in X-COM, especially compared to how nightmarishly clunky XCOM 2 is about it. Did you make a new rifle? Sweet! Go find one specific soldier and click into their loadout, then on the weapon, and equip it.

Meanwhile X-COM: did you get a new gun? Sweet, go to the skyranger and toss it in the loadout with everything else. When your soldiers deploy into a mission, drop it onto someone and go. There's no chance to forget to equip it provided you toss it into the communal pool, and even if you DO forget, your soldiers can literally go and get it from the skyranger.

This also extends to how annoying it is to get, say, 5 of the new gun. Build each one individually, equip them individually. Meanwhile X-COM: buy 1 gun? Why not buy 5? Throw them all in the skyranger! Everyone gets a new gun!

In WotC at least, buying a new magnetic or beam weapon will automatically upgrade everybody who can use it.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 22, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
It does. It's hard to beat the BG2 main theme but it goes for it a couple times.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

GreatGreen posted:

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is on sale. Is it good?

Is the story good? I've heard the main story isn't worth playing but that the Shadows of Undrentide module is really cool.

Is actually playing it an exercise in frustration where you spend more time fighting the UI than the monsters?

I have been trying to get into playing Neverwinter Nights. I've played it on-and-off during the last couple of weeks. I don't know how I feel about it at this point. I don't find the UI bad. It's more focused on controlling a single character rather than a party (because of the multiplayer focus), so if you're used to handling gear and stats with a party in the IE games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale), that takes a little getting used to.

I've also been told that the main campaign should be skipped, and you show proceed directly to Shadows of Undrentide. Once you finish that, you're able to import that character over to Hordes of the Underdark. I abandoned my attempt to play the main campaign and skipped to Undrentide , but I haven't gotten very far in it. I'm told it gets better after the first dungeon. Another thing is that you can have an actual party in the expansions, which you can't do in the main campaign.

The community created content is where a lot of the good content can be found. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I've heard the Aielund Saga TC is pretty good. There's also overhauls like the Player Resource Consortium, which makes the game closer to the tabletop. I bought NWN:EE on GOG, but through Steam, you've got the Workshop, which takes out some of the hassle out of installing mods.

I've been fielding questions about it over in the Infinity Engine thread, so you might want to ask there for some more info.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Max Wilco posted:

So after having dropped it for like two years, I picked up Shadow Warrior 2 again, and marathoned through the rest of it, and it's...okay?

When I first played it, I bounced off it somewhat, because while the weapons were an improvement over SW2013, it was bogged down by the gem system, and having finished the game, I realize that's its biggest flaw; the interface for the gem system is so cumbersome. Switching gems around is frustrating because you need to back out to compare the current stats versus what they are with a gem, and the game dumps so many gems on you, it's virtually impossible to figure what you just picked up. It kills the flow of the game.

Combat gets pretty chaotic, and some fights descend into you just mashing the attack button with your melee weapon until whatever is in front of you cut to ribbons. It can be pretty cathartic, but visually, the screen turns into a huge mess attack effects. Some of the issues with the combat are my own fault, because I didn't regularly change gems, and I neglected to spend skill points when I got them. That said, I played through on Normal difficulty, and while I don't think I ever died (save maybe one or two times I don't recall), so it wasn't a matter of the game being too difficult, it was just things not clicking as well as they could have been because of me ignoring the upgrades. (Ex. there are skills you can get to boost your elemental damage output, and while I did dedicate certain weapon to put out elemental damage, I could have dumped more points into those skills.)

Storywise, it's...odd. I fully admit that I barely remember that much of the story in SW2013, but as I remember someone else pointing out, SW2 feels like there was some interquel between SW2013 and SW2 that we weren't privy to. Some of the dialog and quest objectives make it seem like the game was laid out differently, but was overhauled during development. It wasn't until I looked up a synopsis of SW2013 that I realized that the demon characters you meet (Ameonna, Xing, Mezu, Gozu) were characters that were featured in the illustrated flashbacks in SW2013. SW2 treats it like Wang had some more interaction after what happened in SW2013, but it could just be that I don't remember. Tonally, the characterizations are very disparate between the two games, but the more irreverent style in SW2 was entertaining; still, it might have worked better if it had been new characters, rather than ones returning from the previous game.

Visually speaking, it's a very nice looking game. I hate that it has a photo mode, because it means I had to stop every five minutes and fiddle with contrast and SSAO settings take super-resolution screenshots. The only environment that I think was really bad were the Zilla City areas, which can be an eyesore in certain areas with the eight-thousand hologram flora and signage.

I dunno; as an FPS-ARPG hybrid, it does okay, but I feel like it needed more polish or tweaking for it to work better.

Fake Edit: I wonder if I should post this as an actual Steam review.

This is about right, but imo "it's OK" is about the upper limit of being generous to it. I initially had very strong first impressions when it came out but it quickly wore itself out extremely fast and by the end I really disliked it. Not worth playing unless you get it for free, there's just so many good shooters and stuff out there. I was overall very disappointed with it, and it's not like SW2013 is a particularly great gem in itself, but they really regressed in a lot of ways.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

looks like there might be some sort of indie stay-at-home promotion tomorrow, some of those 'steam festival' indie demos are going to go back up: Roki, Heaven's Vault, Neo Cab, Wide Ocean Big Jacket, Solace State, Genesis Noir, Coffee Talk, Curious Expedition 2. And some unknown apps popped up on SteamDB that also go up tomorrow. So I assume more indie demos.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A friend of mine gave me a key to try the beta of this Hunter's Arena: Legends game, I had never heard of it before and thought it was a mobile game with a man yelling as the icon but it appears to be a real, actual factual videogame on Steam. I see the words MOBA, RPG, MMO, and Battle Royale in the description so I am truly expecting this to be awful. Anyone try this thing yet? Is this as much of a clusterfuck as it sounds like?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

explosivo posted:

A friend of mine gave me a key to try the beta of this Hunter's Arena: Legends game, I had never heard of it before and thought it was a mobile game with a man yelling as the icon but it appears to be a real, actual factual videogame on Steam. I see the words MOBA, RPG, MMO, and Battle Royale in the description so I am truly expecting this to be awful. Anyone try this thing yet? Is this as much of a clusterfuck as it sounds like?

Yeah that's cool and all, but until they include a reference to "the blockchain" I'm not interested

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

Okay I'm genuinely not trying to pick on you here but that post doesn't actually say anything useful about NWN or am I losing my mind.

As for the person asking is NWN SotU and HotUD are worth your time, probably. They're not perfect and even the EE of NWN is in some ways a chore to play but also I'm not exactly unbiased here because I like the vanilla NWN campaign (parts of it anyway) so probably don't listen to me.

It was great for what it was when it was made but anyone used to recent PC RPGs might find it obtuse as hell. Learning 3/3.5 Ed rules is like trying to make sense of a new language while drunk. And I find myself replaying the Baldur's Gate games and realizing how confusing some much of it can be even with all the details and needing trial and error attempts to make sense of what does and doesn't work. And this is for the EE editions where much more is spelled out directly for you.

If you don't know the leveling and game system going in its very easy to make a useless character. A straight class character is mediocre-good because so much of the meta-gaming has you taking a random class level here and there for an amazing synergy.

NWN 2 was especially brutal because if you go in blind you'll more likely to end up missing out on everything if you aren't setting your stats at level 1 for planning to take a specific feat at level 8 so you are eligible for a level of X class at level 11. I loved that game but it basically required a bunch of UL and QoL mods to make sense of it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah okay, yeah that's all fair. Just because I know what THAC0 is doesn't mean it's a good system and so on.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Thought on Q.U.B.E 2:

The story is trite and derivative and the levels have an over-reliance on hub areas with an 'activate the machines in the side areas to progress' mechanics. There are also pointless busywork sections that add nothing but padding: exiting an level transition to activate two bounce-pads just to get a grand staircase that the transition could have put me right in front of, being one example.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

speaking of neverwinter nights 2, everyone talks up mask of the betrayer... but what about storm of zehir? curious if it's worth reinstalling for a runthrough

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Zehir's good fun, definitely better than the OC, but it's never quite reaches Mask's high notes. Although, in my opinion, it also never hits Mask's low notes either :v:

It's a neat romp with a player made party and there's a conan the barbarian plot and dinosaurs. Give it a whirl, I say. If you dug any other part of NWN2 at all then SoZ should keep you entertained for a good bit.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Zehir's alright, it was just a bit overly ambitious for NWN2's systems and probably needed to be its own game. It does a bunch of cool things that never feel like they reached their full potential with the world map and trading caravan systems and so forth. I wrote a few tips in the BIP wiki for Zehir specifically when I played through it in case you want to do the same.

I do love the weirdly grand live orchestra combat themes even for completely minor combat encounters in that expansion. Overall the soundtrack was really quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLJ3LfwTFoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdYPstIiWMQ

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 23, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

anyone get their XCOM codes yet?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Any good games from the new Square Enix bundle? They look like a lot could be budget clunkers or hidden gems.
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/square-enix-collective-2020

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

tripwood posted:

Any good games from the new Square Enix bundle? They look like a lot could be budget clunkers or hidden gems.

Forgotten Anne is quite good.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

GreenBuckanneer posted:

anyone get their XCOM codes yet?

Not me, but we both ordered on the same place (Fanatical) so I guess it's not a surprise that we're in this together.

[edit] Keys dropped now.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 23, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
State of Decay 2 got a big patch with lots of adjustments, the biggest change being that all weapon durability is doubled

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ACValiant posted:

For some reason this brings to mind a memory of a preview of Skyrim. Something about each town having an economy and if you did something to the lumber-mill the people would be upset? Did that really happen or am I making this up?

I didn't follow Skyrim pre-release but Bethesda blatantly lied about "Radiant AI" before Oblivion's release and it's kind of hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

tripwood posted:

Only one I've played is Black the Fall which is Another World style puzzle platformer. Pretty basic, no glaring issues, but not very good either. Worth a playthrough (3-4 hours), but I wouldn't pay money for it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tripwood posted:

Ehhhhhh

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Edit: Nevermind - game was for console version only.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 23, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hell yeah. I’ve gotta hurry up and beat Final Fantasy XV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Some games:

The Turing Test: ? is the last letter of the famous place where Alan Turing worked
7MT33-4G7?H-P0D46

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: ? is the last letter of Lara's new favourite weapon
?7K0F-P?R80-20JGZ

Okami HD: ? is the first letter of the name of the main character
V?85V-N78ER-P?CRP

Shenzhen I/O: ? is the number programmers start counting from
KEXKF-ZK?C4-2JBCX

Yakuza Kiwami: ? is the last letter of the country where the game takes place
?GJ2A-RAXLV-BBGP2

Shenmue I & II: ? is the number of Shenmue games released
TK04I-XMT7E-65BK?

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: ? is the last letter of the first name of the main character
?PLIG-NCQYP-VFC3Q

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition: ? is the first letter of the city where the game series started
J?EDB-C3K39-?ZWPD

Dead Rising 2: ? is the last letter of the publisher of the game
HIPWG-LJAW?-3WD46

Emily is Away Too: ? is the first letter of an old three-letter chat program that used numbers instead of nicknames
?2K5?-XNX9P-6CRF0