Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

danbanana posted:

Despite the extremely gross/bad origins of the character

As someone who is pretty darn sick of Wolverine as a character, the extremely gross/bad stuff in the original Millar arc is an extremely small portion of it, and it's a surprisingly fun arc overall.

The Secret Wars stuff was fine, I guess, but not really essential. I only read the Lemire/Sorrentino stuff of the ongoing, but from what I remember from that, the Old Monsters arc is really fun and a bit wacky, and not even Sorrentino's art could get me to plow through Past Lives, which was like the fourth "let's sum up Wolverine's whole life" story in as many years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Reading Claremont’s X-Men, and they just got to the Savage Land. People joke about the thirst for Storm during this run, but her Savage Land outfit is on a whole other level.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

storm ends up nude so often

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Paging Alaois

https://twitter.com/FortniteBR/status/1250940029830119425?s=19

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh god damnit

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Me logging back into Fortnite for the first time in three-or-so years just to buy the Cable skin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSfpoSrCGsQ

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That cable is dead!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That cable is dead!

someone didn't read the first issue of Cable :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anyone whose been waiting on Hickman's stuff, all of House of X and Powers of X is on Unlimited now, with a reading order guide.

I have all the issues but I might use it for a re read until we start getting new comics again just to avoid digging through long boxes.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

Anyone whose been waiting on Hickman's stuff, all of House of X and Powers of X is on Unlimited now, with a reading order guide.

I have all the issues but I might use it for a re read until we start getting new comics again just to avoid digging through long boxes.

If you're a sucker, like I am, the hardcover collecting the series is really nice even if you already have the floppies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TiniHoward/status/1252763244189478912

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel kind of silly bringing up things from 35 years ago, but when X-Factor started did they really have Cyclops abandon his wife and child to go be a superhero with his resurrected dead girlfriend? How did nobody think, “hey, maybe this makes our hero somewhat unlikeable”?

If my friend did something like that, he would not be my friend afterward.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel kind of silly bringing up things from 35 years ago, but when X-Factor started did they really have Cyclops abandon his wife and child to go be a superhero with his resurrected dead girlfriend? How did nobody think, “hey, maybe this makes our hero somewhat unlikeable”?

They really did. Claremont objected on just those grounds, actually more on the grounds of "You're telling me that the most duty-bound character in the 616 would do THAT?" But the new writers had sold Shooter on "re-constitute the original X-Men" so that's what they did. Of course then those writers ended up leaving the book after the first story arc, so Louise Simonson got the book dumped on her so she had to try and write around that glaring problem, with frankly mixed success.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, it was lovely, and has mostly been handwaved away since with varying degrees of success that mostly involve telepathy. But Marvel wanted the original X-Men teaming up and by god it was gonna happen no matter what.

Between Shooter not giving a poo poo about the whole "Cyclops abandoning his wife and kid" angle and his oversight of Avengers #200 I have concerns

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, it was lovely, and has mostly been handwaved away since with varying degrees of success that mostly involve telepathy. But Marvel wanted the original X-Men teaming up and by god it was gonna happen no matter what.

Between Shooter not giving a poo poo about the whole "Cyclops abandoning his wife and kid" angle and his oversight of Avengers #200 I have concerns

You think a guy who has been writing comics since he was a teen might have some hosed up ideas about women?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jesus Christ. I never realized they brought Jean Grey back just to have her be in X-Factor, either. I had the Fantastic Four where she comes back when I was a kid, and I always thought it was weird that she came back to life in an issue of Fantastic Four.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Jesus Christ. I never realized they brought Jean Grey back just to have her be in X-Factor, either. I had the Fantastic Four where she comes back when I was a kid, and I always thought it was weird that she came back to life in an issue of Fantastic Four.

Yeah, Claremont was pissed. Still is, if you get him in an interview even now. Not only did they gently caress up Cyclops' well-earned "ride off into the sunset" retirement, they ALSO cheapened the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga. And THEN they also added the "let's pretend to be mutant-hunters" with all the terrible implications of that idea making all five of the original X-men look really stupid.

And then the assholes who came up with those ideas vanished and they wanted him to fix it and he had enough clout by then to tell them to gently caress off....so they saddled poor Louise Simonson with it instead. :doh:

It was a really bad scene. Did end up with a pretty decent book....like 77 issues later when PAD took over and dumped the whole cast. :shrug:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah, X-Factor was a good book for most of its run. The Simonsons did some great work with it.

And I think they did a good job with salvaging Cyclops. He was a mess for doing what he did, and most of that came home to roost in Inferno where he was able to admit to Maddie that he did a terrible thing, regardless of if it was Sinister partly manipulating it or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm trying to read X-Factor because I have no handle on Apocalypse and I wanted to fix that and it's honestly a bit of a mess in the early parts. I really just don't like any of the characters in this incarnation and I've like and even loved most of these characters at various points (still haven't read anything that made me really like Angel/Archangel except maybe that first Morlocks story where he's mostly just a damsel in distress).

The whole Mutant Hunter thing is just demonstrably a bad bad idea and it's loving laughable to have them also in new costumes being mutant vigilante/freedom fighters. "Oh my god who could this sudden new group of mutant freedom fighters with the exact powers and abilities of the original five X-Men possibly be?"

I do like that Warren Worthington III has to wear a giant box on his back when in his X-Factor uniform to hide his wings.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jng2058 posted:

And then the assholes who came up with those ideas vanished and they wanted him to fix it and he had enough clout by then to tell them to gently caress off....so they saddled poor Louise Simonson with it instead. :doh:

Weezie tried her best to spin that stank straw into gold, too. She really did. You still had Cyclops Is The Worst because how do you write that out?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Angel would be a good character is the mutant narrative wasn't tied so heavily to the superhero narrative. He's fascinating because mutants have to deal with fear, hatred, social ostracization, Cyclops can't look around without killing someone unless he wears special equipment, Beast will never look like a human being again, Morlocks are forced to live in the sewers, etc., whereas he apparently just lucked out. He's a rich, hot, white man who gets to have the superpower almost everyone wants, deep down, and what's more, he doesn't get stuck with bat wings or moth wings or anything odd but rather these beautiful big angel wings. He's the kind of person Renaissance artists made statues of, and probably the purest aesthetic condensation of the uncomfortable mutant-as-ubermensch topoi.

I think his uneasy fit with team book through the 80s implicitly plays into this. He's not built for fighting, and as a person of tremendous privilege it makes sense that part of him sees the X-Men's fight as one he's only peripherally invested in. The tragedy of the Archangel is that Apocalypse, who embodies that abovementioned mutant-as-ubermensch idea better than anyone, only sees the world in terms of fighting, and violently drags Warren down into the logic of the superhero story-- he gets a garish costume, his beautiful soft wings are turned into sharp-edged killing machines, and he's twisted from kind of a dopey hedonist into a single-minded grim reaper. He's reduced to a grammar of battle and conflict, and even when he shakes off Apocalypse's control he's still left with constant physical reminders of what he's lost.

I think that could be a pretty cool character, but yeah, he's been very boring in almost every comic he's ever been in unfortunately. I think Remender did an ok job with him. I should also note of course that Walt Simonson's original Archangel design rules very hard too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Archangel is one of my favorite X-Men, and Uncanny X-Force is really the only thing worth reading about him, besides his early appearances in X-Factor.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like saying Bob Layton "vanished" is a mischaracterization when he actually just moved over to Iron Man and wrote one of the few well-remembered storylines that book ever had.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Have we seen Warren recently? I lost track of him after one of the recent xforce mind wipes. Imagining awkward times with Betsy and Kwannon.

I loved that xforce run but then it felt like they just kept doing the same book until DoX

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it's a nadir for Cyclops as a character and it screams "editorial mandated a team with the original X-Men on it so the story and characters of the franchise as it stood had to be twisted into knots to meet that need". It's impossible to ever like him again if you don't just, like, forget that whole storyline ever happened.

Madelyne Pryor as a character got done dirty. Cyclops more or less gets to skate on what he did to her, and she turns into an evil demoness and commits suicide, thereby absolving him of ever thinking about it again.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also "Cyclops goes into retirement" is one of those things that almost stuck, and if it had, it could have been a defining moment in how comics storylines are told. Instead we got the opposite - all the original X-Men are back in action, Jean isn't dead anymore, Cyclops isn't married anymore, Cyclops no longer has a son. The years of storytelling that lead up to the current status quo are reset for the sake of bringing back the preferred status quo of old-school fans. The whole plot has strong One More Day vibes.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Android Blues posted:

Also "Cyclops goes into retirement" is one of those things that almost stuck, and if it had, it could have been a defining moment in how comics storylines are told.

This. I've long wondered how different comics would be if Shooter would have let Claremont's concept of true generational superheroes actually happen. If readers were trained in the 80s to accept those changes... I think the industry would be very different.

That said, DC kinda did this around the same time with Crisis and assholes still got Barry back like 20 years later...

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

danbanana posted:

This. I've long wondered how different comics would be if Shooter would have let Claremont's concept of true generational superheroes actually happen. If readers were trained in the 80s to accept those changes... I think the industry would be very different.

That said, DC kinda did this around the same time with Crisis and assholes still got Barry back like 20 years later...

I was reading in real time back then and the few issues of New Mutants where they "graduate" form their yellow black uniforms to individual ones is one of my favorite runs.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Bonzo posted:

I was reading in real time back then and the few issues of New Mutants where they "graduate" form their yellow black uniforms to individual ones is one of my favorite runs.

They did that twice. There was a set where only Magik had a decent suit

and then a second set where Rahne and Bobby were the only ones shorted.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 23, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Madelyne Pryor as a character got done dirty. Cyclops more or less gets to skate on what he did to her, and she turns into an evil demoness and commits suicide, thereby absolving him of ever thinking about it again.

Every once in a while I'll tweet at Kurt Busiek blaming him for what happened, since he was the one who came up with the original idea on how to bring back Jean.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Every once in a while I'll tweet at Kurt Busiek blaming him for what happened, since he was the one who came up with the original idea on how to bring back Jean.

This is "get drunk, text an ex times 5" poo poo right here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

This is "get drunk, text an ex times 5" poo poo right here.

I only do it when someone he or someone else mentions that he came up with the idea for the resurrection.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Beerdeer posted:

Holy crap, I love both of those Illyana costumes, minus the mask in the second one.

I am a big fan of the first appearance of purple and white for Cannonball's costume, presaging his x-force outfit.

But it's silly for him to have a helmet, because he doesn't need it. You know why?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

But what if someone catches him while he's not blastin'? Best to be safe.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Speak posted:

You know why?

When he's blastin' and, say, blasts through a wall... Is his body making direct contact with the wall? Or is there like an energy field around him that hits the wall instead of his body? Because if it's the former, a helmet or some kind of body armor would help his blastin' bashin', regardless of his own body's nigh-invulnerability.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Art Adams people are like 67% leg. And it’s not just a perv thing either: look at the gams on Cypher. They’re like a team of praying mantises.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Android Blues posted:

But what if someone catches him while he's not blastin'? Best to be safe.

A.B.B.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Beerdeer posted:

God dang, that first Magik suit is awesome. Somebody @ Leah Williams, she's one of the go-to Magik writers right now.

How has nobody ever gone back to it?

It really sucks that it seems like they circle back to the original costume for the new mutants (or at least some kind of uniform, I remember the Academy X days). Or is that just me?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that Magik costume looks like a white version of Psylocke's old robes-and-armor costume from before she went through the Siege Perilous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm never sure if those yellow and blue costumes are supposed to be student uniforms specifically or just generic X-Men uniforms (like what the Muir Island X-Men briefly wore). It's really weird if the former, like all these people in their mid-20s (maybe later for Kate Pryde?) just condemned to wander around in their school uniforms for the rest of their days.