Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

for the record, i think the total list of valid causes is

- academic dishonesty like plagiarism or falsifying data
- breaking the law in an obvious way
- violation of ethical guidelines (sex with students) (maybe, if it was "consensual" you'll probably just get a mandatory sabbatical)
- just outright stop coming to class (though they would probably "put you on unpaid leave" forever)
- student enrollment decreased to the point where they can't meet your contract (all the more junior faculty would have to be fired first)
- department/college/university is disestablished (see above note, and they'd probably punt you to some other job if possible)

how about, “state budget is a disaster and the board of regent declares a state of emergency”

because that almost happened here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they'd still can all the lecturers and staff first, and that would be a significant chunk because most places these days have like 2-3 times as many adjuncts (or more) as tenured faculty.

again, basically if you get to the point where they're laying off tenured professors for the budget, it's because the university is entirely gone, permanently. that seems unlikely

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

for the record, i think the total list of valid causes is

- academic dishonesty like plagiarism or falsifying data
- breaking the law in an obvious way
- violation of ethical guidelines (sex with students) (maybe, if it was "consensual" you'll probably just get a mandatory sabbatical)
- just outright stop coming to class (though they would probably "put you on unpaid leave" forever)
- student enrollment decreased to the point where they can't meet your contract (all the more junior faculty would have to be fired first)
- department/college/university is disestablished (see above note, and they'd probably punt you to some other job if possible)

- you're posting

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
thanks that's interesting. in Australia our universities are massively dependent on foreign students so it's likely that 20-30% of them will go bankrupt, not the same as the US of course.

I saw this on Scott Galloway's twitter, it's full time MBA students though so I'm sure there is not a tiny enough violin to express our distress

https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1253061916039225346

his take is basically that no one is going to pay 160kUSD for two years of bad zoom classes.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

the one take i will put Real Hard Wager Money on is that 99.5% of any "coronavirus baby boom" will be first children. I cant imagine anybody getting boners while theyre locked in their condo with a screaming 2 year old for the past 7 weeks

the three year old is whatever, her bedtime is early and she watches movies all day now and has a big nap from 1-4pm

the newborn also sleeps through the night

the problem is that today i was subjected to 5 viewings of Moana and disney music is the bonerkiller when that much of it is dumped into your psyche every. single. day.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

thanks that's interesting. in Australia our universities are massively dependent on foreign students so it's likely that 20-30% of them will go bankrupt, not the same as the US of course.

I saw this on Scott Galloway's twitter, it's full time MBA students though so I'm sure there is not a tiny enough violin to express our distress

his take is basically that no one is going to pay 160kUSD for two years of bad zoom classes.

At Stanford’s Graduate School of Business, where the two-year MBA programme costs $150,000 in fees,

Stanford pointed out that, even in normal circumstances, tuition fees do not cover the full cost of a degree.

“Effectively, all students, including those paying full tuition, receive a significant discount relative to the university’s actual cost.

“Our endowment and other sources of revenue, which we use to supplement tuition to cover the cost of education, are now greatly challenged because of the pandemic crisis.

lmao suuuuure

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

tbh going for an MBA probably ranks at the top of who you know, not what you know, so online classes would be a big negative when you can't rub elbows with Keith Goldman or Roger Sachs

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Stanford pointed out that, even in normal circumstances, tuition fees do not cover the full cost of a degree.

“Effectively, all students, including those paying full tuition, receive a significant discount relative to the university’s actual cost.

“Our endowment and other sources of revenue, which we use to supplement tuition to cover the cost of education, are now greatly challenged because of the pandemic crisis.

lmao suuuuure

I'd like to hear what they'd say the actual cost is for a 2 year program

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

galloway blocked me on twitter because i called him a pundit when he was signal boosting david loving brooks

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

PIZZA.BAT posted:

galloway blocked me on twitter because i called him a pundit when he was signal boosting david loving brooks

haha yeah he’s an investor class pro Biden parasite, but he has a degree of self awareness about the fact that it was mostly white privilege that got him there so i get something out of his stuff

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah back when he was mostly dragging tech companies i was a big fan of his but he's been descending into punditry over the past few years and it's starting to get to the point where it's legitimately blinding him

it's been really disappointing watching his fall

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

Back in my college days there was a philosophy professor who kept getting turned down for tenure. He always blamed it on someone on the committee who "had it out for [him]". Turns out they "had it out for him" because he boinked a student (or several it was never clear) in the past. After his final rejection for tenure he left the college.

I was a naive freshman at the time, and thought he was a pretty cool dude until I learned that little detail.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Being the "cool prof that spends all their time hanging out with students" probably correlates pretty highly with "total creep that wants to gently caress students"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there was a little liberal arts school that some of the people in my high school went to that closed down (after they had graduated and everything); that was probably kind of weird for them after that

but who knows, idk how many people that went to that school ever had a career path where anyone would care that your university shut its doors

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
A lot of small liberal art colleges are struggling right now and have been for years due to tuition inflation. This may push a lot of them over the edge.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There was a lecturer when I was a grad student who forced undergrad students to pick up their tests from him personally in his office because he wanted to leer at the 19 year old asian girls while he forced them to talk to him about the test. He also lived in his office and was eventually fired for posting a homophobic diatribe on another lecturer's office door.

His office was down the hall from mine and every other week there was a huge line of students waiting to get their tests from him and it always annoyed me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish we lived in a world where people could study their passion and not be a barista afterwards

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish we lived in a world where people could study their passion and not be a barista afterwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3TvORNCMfw

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
has chairchat been had yet

my $100 officemax chair is not privy to weeks of this. tried to borrow my office chair but was in no way fitting in my car

leaning towards getting work to pay for a steelcase criterion. any feedback

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

There was a lecturer when I was a grad student who forced undergrad students to pick up their tests from him personally in his office because he wanted to leer at the 19 year old asian girls while he forced them to talk to him about the test. He also lived in his office and was eventually fired for posting a homophobic diatribe on another lecturer's office door.

His office was down the hall from mine and every other week there was a huge line of students waiting to get their tests from him and it always annoyed me.

you worked with sagebrush?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Funny follow up anecdote.

The guy's replacement was a younger gentlemen that apparently was quite pleasing to the ladies. Apocryphaly he had a student in his office who pulled the "is there anything I can do to help my grade? :wink:" and apparently lost his poo poo and threw her out of the office.

He was a legit cool dude.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

graph posted:

my $100 officemax chair is not privy to weeks of this. tried to borrow my office chair but was in no way fitting in my car

I like my steelcase think. The adjustable arms are optional, and critical

It’s way better than my chair at work, maybe I’ll bring it in after all this is over

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Raluek posted:

I like my steelcase think. The adjustable arms are optional, and critical

It’s way better than my chair at work, maybe I’ll bring it in after all this is over

my workchair was some hammond thing thats long been discontinued and no longer exists and ive spent months it in with zero fatigue

the criterion looks kinda similar

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

graph posted:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

graph posted:

my partner and I are both in humanscale liberties which have been great. bit cheaper but than the Hermann millers etc

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
anything but being able to leave the desk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
someone convinced me to buy a secondhand aeron a while ago and it's been very needs suiting

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I continue to have the worst ergonomics in my home office

At the same time I can take sweet breaks so it’s hard to say of its good or bad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

did you try disconnecting it from the ring of feet or whatever

or sometimes all that attaches to the underside of the chair directly, above the hydraulic cylinder thingie

or if not you could go rent a truck from home depot for $20

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

graph posted:

I really like my Herman Miller Mira. Mesh seat is good, hard-ish back is good. Have had it for 10 years and still going strong.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

did you try disconnecting it from the ring of feet or whatever

or sometimes all that attaches to the underside of the chair directly, above the hydraulic cylinder thingie

or if not you could go rent a truck from home depot for $20

i take the bus to work and day of was ordered to 'get the gently caress out right now' borrowing a parking pass so no, i did not get a chance to look up disassembly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TerminalRaptor posted:

Back in my college days there was a philosophy professor who kept getting turned down for tenure. He always blamed it on someone on the committee who "had it out for [him]". Turns out they "had it out for him" because he boinked a student (or several it was never clear) in the past. After his final rejection for tenure he left the college.

weird that he would "keep getting turned down." most places have an up-or-out policy -- you have to apply for tenure after ~6 probationary years, and if you get it you're set, but if you don't you get one terminal year and then you're fired.

i know a couple of people who got bad reviews in year 4/5 and they just quit at that time rather than get denied.

Jabor posted:

Being the "cool prof that spends all their time hanging out with students" probably correlates pretty highly with "total creep that wants to gently caress students"

but i mean, karen allen in 1978, dang

fart simpson posted:

you worked with sagebrush?

rude

i have had at least three professors who were super lechers to the asian girls though. one came to parties and tried to take upskirt photos. another got really excited when a student got into a conference in japan and kept saying how jealous he was because of the girls there (like, literally). the third was almost certainly dating a student and everyone knew but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ he's got tenure

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

but i mean, karen allen in 1978, dang

lol what about karen allen in 1926

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah back when he was mostly dragging tech companies i was a big fan of his but he's been descending into punditry over the past few years and it's starting to get to the point where it's legitimately blinding him

it's been really disappointing watching his fall

yeah I tried listening to his podcast with kara swisher and it sounded kind of like an AM radio talk show (except with a lot of name dropping by kara)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

have you ever had sex echi

mate

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fart simpson posted:

have you ever had sex echi

lmbo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Broken Machine posted:

one of my last jobs there was this guy who would go out and party and just... not show up for weeks at a time. he was salaried but he didn't take leave or anything and they still paid him. he didn't even try to hide it; managers would call up and ask and he'd be honest that he'd been too busy with his social life to make it to work. i guess he was good at what he did because for whatever reason they let him keep doing this

i'm gonna guess he had an in with the owners who basically told management "as long as this guy is not creating a major risk of lawsuit, he can do whatever the gently caress he wants." at my last job i briefly worked with a guy who had that kind of blank check. like, the owners literally told the IT manager "stop trying to discipline him. he can do whatever he wants."

a couple months later, after that IT manager had been fired, the untouchable dude finally got himself fired after he threatened to bring an AK-47 to work and shoot a dude for the capital crime of putting a foot up on his car's fender to tie his shoe.

(yes, yes, yes, yes, before anyone thinks this is a great time to demonstrate how in love with their car they are - yes, i understand why someone might be miffed by this behavior. no, it's not worth assaulting the guy and then literally threatening to murder him.)

...except, wait, he technically wasn't fired for that. because he was offered the opportunity to apologize to the guy and retract his statement. it was the fact that he refused to apologize and retract his statement that finally led to him being fired. funny thing, he said in his last meeting he didn't regret it and would do the same thing all over again. also that he had no hard feelings towards the company. weird, weird guy. i'm happy he left when he did because i was tired of dealing with him and it also opened up an employment opportunity at exactly the right time for one of my closest friends, but i'm still a little bummed i didn't get to hear from him how his sure-fire plan to get out of paying all his traffic tickets went.

(he insisted that a buddy in florida had found the perfect loophole to get out of paying fines: the law requires that you pay with real money, real money is only hard currency i.e. gold bullion, gold bullion cannot be owned, ergo it is impossible to pay the fine, q.e.d.

he and the IT manager - who had this weird love/hate relationship - also loved discussing conspiracy theories like chemtrails.)

anyway, while at the time i figured the owners were just scared of losing him and his various accumulated rituals that kept their baling wire and duct tape operation together too early (because they had been planning on replacing the IT manager at minimum), in retrospect they probably were more afraid that if he got pissed at the company he'd run off and report all of the software he'd spent the last few years helping to pirate for them, just like his former co-worker had done a couple of years previously. or maybe he had some other dirt on them. idk.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im sure glad i started at a community college and then commuted to a local public university

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm glad that i went to a huge state university that had one of the largest engineering programs in the country and also was infected with football insanity so that i could scalp my student tickets for $$$$$$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it wouldn't surprise me to see tump & co use this as an opportunity to close down a lot of universities, particularly public universities and colleges in the south. a poorly educated populace is easier to control. actually i'd be more surprised if they didn't