Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Vadun posted:

Eatthepurple is completely broken for me, and has been for a while. I can't launch Gooncrawl or main or trunk, clicking on the links doesn't seem to do anything. Tried clearing my cache to no avail

I hope Araganzar’s okay. Last I heard was his house was hit by a tornado and took a bunch of damage. It seems like, unsurprisingly, setting up and maintaining a webtiles server is a gigantic pain and a huge pile of work.

IronicDongz posted:

also before y'all poopoo the new spells too much I would advise you to try Starburst, the level 6 spell that shoots bolts of fire in 8 directions simultaneously

We talked about them when the positional magic branch first started up. I actually haven’t played it, though. My first impression was that we should steal some of the new spells and maybe cut some stuff in return, but not as much as trunk. Bolt spells and basic projectiles are important to a wizard’s gameplay feel and it’s important to have some “basic attack” spells that don’t require players to be constantly focused and paying attention to positioning in every combat. I think considering that fire magic already has fireball, upgrading bolt of fire into starburst is a great idea. I’m less keen on removing bolt of cold, though, especially if throw icicle is removed along with it. And I’ll defend glaciate to the last, frozen breath.

someone awful. posted:

maze labyrinths are literally the worst though, no argument here

There are plenty of things Gooncrawl keeps that I don’t love (but that don’t hugely bother me and are fun for others), but I love labyrinths. I completely understand and respect the point of view of people who don’t like them, but they make me very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

What?

WHAT? :eyepop:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Couldn't you have both Gauntlets and Labyrinths, where you get one or the other each run? Is there some reason I'm not seeing why that wouldn't work?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jazerus posted:

mountain dwarves were the canary in the coal mine

the hilarious part is the despite all the grousing about mountain dwarves, even the fork which is based mostly around fixing the dumb changes of trunk still hasn't restored them

turns out mountain dwarves are legitimately boring. putting grey elves and sludge elves back in the game turned out to be a higher priority.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A lot of the dwarf appeal (to me, anyways) was getting those sweet sweet racial armour bonus'.

That, and roleplaying of course.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't care when mountain dwarves were removed because I never played them and they were basically just minotaurs and hill orcs.

But I realized later on that if they were a feature that a significant portion of the playerbase enjoyed they should have stayed, regardless of being redundant.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

A Strange Aeon posted:

Couldn't you have both Gauntlets and Labyrinths, where you get one or the other each run? Is there some reason I'm not seeing why that wouldn't work?
I would still get labyrinths 50% of the time and I want them 0% of the time

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I suspect a Mountain Dwarf was probably my first non-mummy, non-demigod melee win an eon and a half ago.

...I don't think I've ever played Crawl right.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I love labyrinths, personally

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, I can now scratch "talk out of my rear end so badly that an entire thread tells me to shut up" off my bucket list.

Sorry, y'all.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Well, I can now scratch "talk out of my rear end so badly that an entire thread tells me to shut up" off my bucket list.

Sorry, y'all.

You're a good poster, don't feel too bad about it!

I suspect what happened is that you misremembered some of the details; full disclosure, I might be misremembering them in turn, but I think it was that PF kind of gave up on the forums outreach side of things because they increasingly found themselves caught between polarized factions on changes that they had nothing to do with. I also thought it was the bug report tool or some internal forum or something where all the dissent-quashing drama occurred, because I definitely remember that happening, but I don't think it was on Reddit.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Araganzar posted:

I can't figure out the design on hermit crabs. They have the worst weapon apts in the game (-2) across the board and they can't wear boots, gloves, or hats. For this they get +1 casting apts, -6 encumbrance, pinchers (level 1 claws), and deep water movement.

-6 encumbrance is the real problem here, it's pretty poo poo, does very little to encourage heavy armor casting as it barely overcomes the encumbrance of leather. Most pure casters have no problem getting into dragon armor, so this eventually becomes a 1-2 EV buff that loses 9-10 AC to lack of armor slots. This doesn't come even close to justifying investment in defensive skills and unarmed on a race with +1 casting apts. Every game I've played has been xp or resist starved.

A challenge race whose gimmick is a crap demonspawn mutation is maybe "fun", but it's not fun. IMO, triple the encumbrance mutation to -6/-12/-18. Start pincers at level 3 mutation. And let the poor little guys wear boots. How can you scuttle across the floors of silent seas without boots of stealth? Or maybe hats, who can object to a crab wearing a cute little hat?

Curious what other players think, I will keep trying as I think it's the only Ac I haven't won and my resist luck has been crippling. I guess unarmed is the way to go but it's a very heavy investment for 1 level of pincers.

So this is dredging up a months old post but I'm the one who made Hermit Crabs. They were born from largely two factors: my frustration at constantly dying on the first floor when attempting to play spellcasters, and the always resurfacing crab jokes in the thread.

I lost the computer that had my work on them for it after the implementation of their first iteration and just couldn't be arsed to set things up again to do more work since I'm not an actual programmer in any sense, hence their lack of any more real development. I noticed the Crawl topic just now and decided to check out where the game is at and was surprised to see them still available to play so thought I'd search them up in the topic.

So here were my thoughts on them best as I can recall:

- Heavy armor caster that isn't incentivized to also be a melee fighter. This was reflected in poo poo weapon aptitudes and poor transmutations. The idea was to be able to take some hits early on as you scavenge some better armor without it impacting you getting your basic spells up and running due to the -X encumbrance.
- Pincers were intended for two things; one, a flavor justification for sucking at using weapons/wands/whatever, and two to give you the ability to fight back against early enemies and fade off in effectiveness later once you become a better spellcaster.
- Lack of boots/helm/gloves also had two functions; first was a fear of being too strong with a full set of armor and spells, and second was the more practical question of how/if to make the sprites work together with the Hermit Crab sprite itself. This was stuff that was very likely to change around if I had stuck with working on them.
- The 'physical perfection' thing was partly a joke about crabs being beautiful perfect creatures we all cherish, and also a way to keep from turning your downside of a lack of equipment slots into melee buffs with mutations.

Some flavor I was going for was hermit crab in the sense of always looking for bigger and better armor as you grow, and hermit in the sense of some sort of solitude seeking inner development thing being reflected in their spell casting aptitudes. That typically refers to religious activities but I figured a focus on self development and ignoring gods could fit that sort of theme well enough. I thought about other crab species and couldn't come up with anything that could have as clear a flavor/mechanic link as the name hermit crab gave to me.

The race could definitely be improved; haven't played the game in a couple years now so hell if I know what numbers would need tweaking to start off, let alone larger mechanical changes. I explicitly wanted something that was an 'easier' race but didn't want to start with them being spellcasters walking around in crystal plate armor and an executioner's axe. Highly doubt I'll do more work on them but at least I can provide some background and why they're the way they are now!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
nice post, thanks for the content!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jen X posted:

I love labyrinths, personally

I don't love or hate them, they're just a part of the dungeon and a nice change of pace. I usually don't find them too difficult but occasionally I step into one and I know I'm not really ready for the Minotaur so it takes some thinking and guzzling of buffs to ensure he doesn't decorate the halls with my guts. Been a while since I got anything good in one though.

Also, Abominations and Archaeologists are two reasons that gooncrawl is outstanding right now and the only way to fly. Eat the purple, always.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I should try gooncrawl. Does it have Lava Orcs?

E: no it doesn't. drat. Guess that's because it never made it to a release version of the base game.

BUT being able to start the game with Jivya is sure interesting. I need to mess with this more.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 29, 2020

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Resting Lich Face posted:

I should try gooncrawl. Does it have Lava Orcs?

E: no it doesn't. drat. Guess that's because it never made it to a release version of the base game.

It does have Lava Orcs, there's a partial second page of races to pick from.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Einwand posted:

It does have Lava Orcs, there's a partial second page of races to pick from.

Oh hell yes. And Gnoll too, my favorite in the base game. Ohhohoh I'm like a kid in a candy shop! Why have I been playing vanilla?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Watch out for Mara if you're playing lava orc, I found a bug where the game crashes if he summons a player ghost of you because the game can't find a tile to represent the ghost due to how lava orcs change colour over time/heat. Murder holing works if you never see the ghost.

Was going to fix it but it's in the tiles code and that's a whole lot of weird pointer reference stuff.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Good to know. I actually decided to try some of the new species. I had 5 runes as an Abomination (really fun species - it's the octopode my tab-happy rear end always wanted) and died to Trog wrath in tomb. I'd gotten so hooked up I was gonna go for a full clear with TSO. I gotcomplacent because the wrath had been doing basically nothing but the last time he coupled it with a slow and I didn't use my loving brain and cancel it out with a haste potion and got too far behind on my damage and welp, there goes one of the most decked out characters I've had in a long time. I could have easily cleared the whole dungeon; that race does NOT belong under Advanced.

I don't win a lot because I pretty much always push for 15 rune.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Octopode thoughts:

It is bullshit they can't wear scarves.
I would complain about having got to Lair 5 and only found a single ring, but that one ring is (rF+ rC+ rN+ Str+5 Slay+5) so gently caress it, I'll take it.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Pretty good find for D3. Daily challenge on CPO

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm sorry for your loss.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How're they gonna go? My money is overconfidence in elf leading to a one way trip to the abyss.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Crawl dev culture has had a weird relationship with the community from when I started following the game in .06-.07.
That period was my first inkling that something was amiss. Specifically, the heavy armor nerf in (IIRC) 0.06.

Everyone, playerbase included, agreed that heavy armor was OP. And everyone was willing to accept some downward adjustment of AC/GDR to help achieve parity with EV. But then the post-0.05 dev builds hit and hoooooly poo poo did they ever massively over-correct. A completely forgivable "sin" in a dev branch, if you can even call it that. In code, as with painting, it's often preferable to make a bold stroke, with obvious effects, and then dial it back as needed.

But they dug in and doubled-down hard on that poo poo. Literally everyone told them it was a massive over-correction. The devs got very, very angry that the playerbase was questioning their judgement. Their response was "everyone who thinks the nerf was too much is an idiot, or they haven't actually played trunk. Nothing at all is wrong with AC."

Lo-and-behold, when 0.06 released, absolutely no one used heavy armor. Even classic heavy armor combos like MiBe and MdFi were rolling around exclusively in robes. Over the next couple versions, they gradually and silently reverted most of the AC and GDR changes, but never acknowledged that they had made a mistake, or apologized to all the long-time players that they reamed for disagreeing with them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did they ever nerf the blink traps or can they still warp you into the middle of Tomb:3 without being able to do much about it

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Search your soul you know the answer. No.
Also on the trunk docket is making lightning spire randomly place, make malign gateway not work out of LOS, and nerfing Wu Jian Council because I guess they hadn't hit it with enough nerfs yet. You know what sounds fun? Having to use the ability menu every single time you want to use wall jumps as WJC, without any other changes to it.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 4, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The trunk design goal is that you hit a key and a completely random action happens targeted towards a completely random space. Anything else is overpowered.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Wow, nerfing WJC? IMO they're a pretty underwhelming god in the first place, so any nerfs would basically just more them to the top of my "Do Not Use" list

Good thing I'm on Gooncrawl.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Einwand posted:

You know what sounds fun? Having to use the ability menu every single time you want to use wall jumps as WJC, without any other changes to it.
:psyduck:

That doesn't even make them worse, it just makes them more annoying.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Pros: Is actually more intuitive, in keeping with stated design philosophy.
Cons: Adds thousands of keypresses to regular playthrough, inoptimal for speed, will probably be cut when they remember it exists again in several months.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

PMush Perfect posted:

:psyduck:

That doesn't even make them worse, it just makes them more annoying.

Oh, the actual nerf was removing the pin effect from whirlwind and replacing it with nothing, you know, the usual.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
WJC, a god that was supremely cool and was never more powerful than just being a blaster of Vehumet or whatever, is the sad story of the devs making worse and worse with every release iteration for absolutely no reason, completely against the wishes of the gods' original creator and without meaningfully taking their input.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Purely aesthetic idea: Add the Jory Death Blood Explosion effect to the Bloodbane sword.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

tylertfb posted:

Purely aesthetic idea: Add the Jory Death Blood Explosion effect to the Bloodbane sword.

Seconded.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

tylertfb posted:

yessss

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

The latest trunk casualty has occurred, goodbye scattershot wands.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Why must they take out everything fun

Why not take out wands of flame instead, they're boring and weak

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Einwand posted:

The latest trunk casualty has occurred, goodbye scattershot wands.

Now now, it's because they decided tremorstones are to take its place..as they still re-work the drat thing in fairly significant ways. At first it was running off of the scattershot formula but it was deemed too strong. It's also a 3 charge tool running off of XP gain, which is interesting but why couldn't they just replace the consumable wand model with that wholesale if this is where they planned to go in the first place!?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arzaac posted:

Why must they take out everything fun

the lesson that the devs took from the fable of the stone soup was that all of the meas and vegetables overpowered the flavour of the delicious stone and everyone would have been a lot happier if they'd left all that bullshit out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The whole point of stone soup is cooking a rock the fastest.