Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

El Padrino posted:

What ambiguity? Dumb teens thought it would be a good idea to become mothers at the same time so they can raise their kids together. Their mom's lovely parents forced her to marry the lovely person she chose as sperm donor cause WhAt WiLl PeOpLe ThInK and ended with them almost witnessing their mom getting murdered.

The number of girls actively trying to get pregnant in my high school was absurd. It was like they already lived in a poor poo poo town in rural Texas and they were gonna make drat sure they stayed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

It potentially reads like they all deliberately got knocked up /by the same guy/. I want to believe that's obviously not the case but...

that'd be a hell of a conversation. hey can me and the gals come over later, and you'll knock us all up?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Estranged from parents for a few years. Best decision ever. But I can't get over just how irreparably damaged growing up with them has left me. I mean, I could have been a completely different person. Instead I'm instilled with a litany of mental, emotional, and physical problems. I still can't get over it. It's such neverending and potent toxic poison.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

skewetoo posted:

I can't get over just how irreparably damaged growing up with them has left me. I mean, I could have been a completely different person. Instead I'm instilled with a litany of mental, emotional, and physical problems. I still can't get over it. It's such neverending and potent toxic poison.

It's honestly heartbreaking to think about this, even for a brief moment. You look around at others your age, or even older or younger people, and you see how relaxed and well-adjusted and not even slightly guarded or paranoid or internally self-destructive they've ended up being, all because the right people hosed each other, had them and then raised them to be normal functional adults with independent goals and concerns, rather than broken husks, and it loving hurts to think about all the possibilities that have been snuffed out of your life, all the people you could've been friends with, all the opportunities for travel or love or employment or education or just general fun that you've lost because your mother/father decided they were gonna have a kid for the sole purpose of having someone take care of them when they're a human raisin with even less to offer the planet than before.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

PooInAnAlleyway posted:

It's honestly heartbreaking to think about this, even for a brief moment. You look around at others your age, or even older or younger people, and you see how relaxed and well-adjusted and not even slightly guarded or paranoid or internally self-destructive they've ended up being, all because the right people hosed each other, had them and then raised them to be normal functional adults with independent goals and concerns, rather than broken husks, and it loving hurts to think about all the possibilities that have been snuffed out of your life, all the people you could've been friends with, all the opportunities for travel or love or employment or education or just general fun that you've lost because your mother/father decided they were gonna have a kid for the sole purpose of having someone take care of them when they're a human raisin with even less to offer the planet than before.

And most people will never understand or get it. As far as they are concerned, you are just some weird pariah and you probably deserve to be one. For myself, it wasn't both parents but my covert narc dad so it wasn't just my own life that could have potentially been less lovely. It also includes my sister who also carries these scars, and my mother who told me if she knew what she was getting into she would have never married my dad. But she did, and she had an unfulfilling lifetime being stuck with a disappointing husband who was little more than a lazy absentminded child in an old man's body. Yet there's a real sunk cost fallacy thing going on where my mother can't bring herself to take that final step of divorce since it would rock the boat too much.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
On another site I found a couple of interesting posts.

quote:

DH got a long email last night from his other sister. I'll try to hit the highlights. Basically he's awful.

1. We waited 12 hours to tell them when our child was born. (Not true, maybe 4 hours?)

2. We used a doula instead of having family come to help. (Not sure that my in laws are lactation consultants or could help me figure out breast pump stuff.)

3. They aren't extended family, I married into their family, we didn't create our own.

4. We didn't let them come visit right away when they wanted baby snuggles. (We asked for 2 weeks to ourselves. His sister financially could only make one visit to the state last year, chose her birthday to come rather than wait until LO was born.)

5. We don't ask them for advice on our child. (He has messaged his mom about some minor medical stuff as she was a nurse)

6. His personality has changed since becoming a father and he doesn't have the same sense of humor. (We both dealt with some serious post partum anxiety after LO was born and got help from our doctors.)

7. We didn't tell them about the IVF or our struggles until after the fact. (His parents knew, as they were set to visit us the day I started shots.)

8. An article we sent them prior to her being born just going over the basics for visiting newborns, like wash your hands, don't overstay your welcome, don't kiss the baby was ridiculous and hurtful. (We are worried about ALL of those things with them.)

quote:

It was a rundown of my own IL's long-held grudges (going back decades) that was the last nail in the coffin for my DH. The absurdity of their grudges--like me spending too much time talking to my parents when DH (dear husband) and I hosted a meet-the-parents dinner for both sets--made him realize that my MIL, especially, had been bad mouthing us for 20 years.

In a nutshell, those grudge lists are confirmation that being *you* is not acceptable to them. There's really no getting past that. In a weird way, it was actually affirming to know that the attitude I felt (but DH (dear husband) didn't "see") for all those years wasn't in my head.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
God damnit dad, I could really use some dad advice, or some dad commiseration, or at lease be able to chat my father when i'm going through some poo poo, but I'm avoiding talking to you at all because what I don't need is someone to try to take charge of my life and judge my decisions.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Their son estranged from them at 18 and is now 62?

They've spent 44 years in their own personal Hell they built themselves. Wow.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I sympathize with people with boomer-rear end parents, but I also assume anyone who uses all those stupid DD, DH acronyms on Reddit is a loving loser

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

I sympathize with people with boomer-rear end parents, but I also assume anyone who uses all those stupid DD, DH acronyms on Reddit is a loving loser

It's a good benchmark: If you spend so much time complaining about loved ones you need to abbreviate to save time, the problem is you.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Not so much when we're talking about support groups. I use similar abbreviations on these groups so I don't have to see an abuser's name.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Light Gun Man posted:

that'd be a hell of a conversation. hey can me and the gals come over later, and you'll knock us all up?

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

Those acronyms are much older than reddit, I think they come from parenting groups online. I actually prefer them because otherwise you get a bunch of posts full of "My spouse (who I'll call Chris) and my older daughter (who I'll call Rachel) and my younger son (who I'll call Rutherford) and my second cousin twice removed (also Rutherford, but a different one)" poo poo, and it just goes on forever.

Or god help us, people who use initials to name everyone. At least the acronyms are quick once you know what they mean.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

ElGroucho posted:

I personally prefer them because I'd hate for people to think of my mother as a mother in the way that smelly well-adjusted normal people mean it. Also calling her by her name humanises her when she's done nothing to deserve it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

PooInAnAlleyway posted:

I personally prefer them because I'd hate for people to think of my mother as a mother in the way that smelly well-adjusted normal people mean it. Also calling her by her name humanises her when she's done nothing to deserve it.

That's why I only call him "Old Man", because I know he loving hates it.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

AuntBuck posted:

Not so much when we're talking about support groups. I use similar abbreviations on these groups so I don't have to see an abuser's name.

That's fair. I remove my criticism from my brain

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I want to type out stories and it's difficult to refer to him as anything other than "father" especially because we have the same name.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Epitope posted:

God damnit dad, I could really use some dad advice, or some dad commiseration, or at lease be able to chat my father when i'm going through some poo poo, but I'm avoiding talking to you at all because what I don't need is someone to try to take charge of my life and judge my decisions.

Hey I'm a dad if you need some dadly advice. :shobon:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

Hi! I’m new to this forum, after going through the past year with nowhere to turn to be understood! Our oldest son rejected us just before Christmas 2016, and it came out of nowhere. There was silence for the first 4 months, with some knowledge of his hate-filled posts through family members who could see them. Over the next 4 months, a couple of vile emails were sent to us, and nothing since August. He is 31 and is angry about how we do not believe the same ideology as he has come to embrace, as well as demanding an apology from us for being who we are. He has no contact with any of the family, except occasionally his brother (they were so close until this). He lives with his girlfriend and has decided that he hates everything we stand for and how we raised him. Like other parents here, we did the very best we could and now regret raising him with the love and somewhat privileged lifestyle that we gave him.

"I regret raising my son with love." Jesus.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 22, 2020

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Foam Monkey posted:

I found this on /r/regretfulparents and holy poo poo.

I cooked a cake today
to see if I can eat
I focus on the kids
the ones I'll never meet

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

Hey I'm a dad if you need some dadly advice. :shobon:

Genuinely appreciate the sentiment. I posted the general sitiation here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=721#post504174733
It would be nice to talk about these things with a dad. Should I sue somebody? How should I choose a roofer and what can I DIY? How do I not let this strain my relationship too much? How does insurance come into play? Etc.

Anyway, my parent gripe is minor compared to what a bunch of people here are dealing with. Just needing to vent about it. Thanks for listening

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

I cooked a cake today
to see if I can eat
I focus on the kids
the ones I'll never meet

The frosting fills the hole
The one they dug in me
Try to kill me by leaving
But I remember everything

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

trickybiscuits posted:

"I regret raising my son with love." Jesus.

"Just before Christmas 2016" + ideological disagreements sounds like the parents are Trump supporters and the son is emphatically not.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I'm suddenly reminded of the falling out two of my uncles had. One of them had an adult son who became quadriplegic in an accident, got depressed, wasted away, and eventually died. The other had a teenage son who committed suicide in particularly gruesome fashion.

First uncle told second uncle, "At least my son didn't dishonor the family by actively killing himself."

Meanwhile, my cousin set up a family chat, so now instead of getting horrifying family stories from the back seat of a car on a road trip, I get them delivered, hot and fresh, to my phone. I forget the last one, but the punchline was, "and then his dog ate him. But they didn't find either of them for like a month, so the dog also died."

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Here's a little heartbreak I had a few weeks back. Step-Daughter had to go to her biodad's house and immediately wanted to come home because her step-brother had lice. Biodad wasn't having it. I told her if she really wanted to come home she just had to stand up for herself. Eventually biodad relented and told us to come get her. On the way there kid's texting me and one of the things she said was that he never cared about her before why is he pretending now? :smith:

She didn't get lice at least. She's also started calling me dad which is a pretty good feeling. I really wish she'd talk to her therapist about this stuff so we could get something in writing and get full custody but she just doesn't yet. I know I can't force her and I'm not but drat sometimes I wish I could.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Biodad sounds like a crap superhero.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

He's an incredibly toxic supervillain, duh.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Not impressed with Biodad's lice powers.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Biodad, Biodad
when a sperm delivery goes bad
family courts get filled with lies, reports his income at half the size
alternating...weekends at Biodaaaaaaad's

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cowman posted:

Here's a little heartbreak I had a few weeks back. Step-Daughter had to go to her biodad's house and immediately wanted to come home because her step-brother had lice. Biodad wasn't having it. I told her if she really wanted to come home she just had to stand up for herself. Eventually biodad relented and told us to come get her. On the way there kid's texting me and one of the things she said was that he never cared about her before why is he pretending now? :smith:

She didn't get lice at least. She's also started calling me dad which is a pretty good feeling. I really wish she'd talk to her therapist about this stuff so we could get something in writing and get full custody but she just doesn't yet. I know I can't force her and I'm not but drat sometimes I wish I could.

Screencap those heartbreaking messages and save them. She may not discuss it now with a therapist but when the time comes, and it seems like it will, it’ll show how long it has gone on.

Keep being there for her. She isn’t calling you dad for nothing.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

trickybiscuits posted:

Oh, we got another one. All one paragraph but I broke it up for readability.

quote:

Well I made that phone call to my ES and left him a message. He returned my call and I told him I needed to see him. I had something to tell him and that there were questions I needed to ask him and only he had the answers. He kept asking if his dad was alright. I said yes, he was fine.

At first, he said he would stop by after work. That same night I got a phone call saying he didn’t want to come because it was going to be his father and I against him. He kept on harping for me to tell him on the phone what was wrong and he was becoming his usual abusive self. Finally, I couldn’t take it any longer so I told him I had cancer and had two lung surgeries. I ended the conversation with okay if you don”t want to come fine. You treated me like crap your entire life but if something happens to me don’t even try to come to the funeral. You will not make a mockery of me in death!

Next day the doorbell rings and he appears. He spent about 5 hours with us. There was no arguing, I just asked him how did we reach this point. We were a close family. There is not enough space to write all the questions I asked him which he had no defense for and any explanation he gave held no water and was utter nonsense.

I brought up things that happened over 25 years ago. He never once looked me in the eye when responding and just kept his head down.

DIL kept texting him after awhile. You would think she would leave him alone as he hasn’t seen his parents in 6 years.

He was a gentleman when he was with us and I did see a hint of the person he was. There was no arguing and I can tell you that he will be 49 years old and this is the first time we really talked.

He works a second job so his follow up calls would be made from there so I am guessing it is done so that his wife is not around and he can talk more freely.

DIL never called me, never even sent a message through him to say tell your mom I hope she’s feeling better. Very telling of the type of person she is. She is just toxic and evil and gets her jollies from being cruel.

If we call him when he is on his second job, he’ll pick up the phone and it’s always “I was going to call you later.” Yeah, right! Like I was born yesterday.

I told him in our last conversation that his uncle is very sick and it looks like he is on his last journey here on earth. My aunt and uncle have no children and I’v spent the entire week making phone calls to try and get them the help that they so need. My uncle now has gone into full blown alzheimer’s amongst other serious health issues. They are in their late eighties and have no children. ES was working his second job tonight and made no phone call to us. How do you not call and check on your elderly parents and knowing how sick I am and his uncle who he claims was always someone he could talk to.

I know I’m rambling on and I am sorry for that. I should have known a leopard never changes his spots. I should have known better than to reach out. I’ve read many stories here on this forum that just broke my heart when one of the parents got sick and a call was made to the EC. These EC are really into themselves and care only for themselves. They have hearts with no emotions! Thank you everyone for listening to me. This is is only place where I can truly bear my soul.

She posted again:

quote:

My son will not allow us to see our grandchildren unless his wife gives permission. My gd is now 16 years old but many years ago when she was about 2 he brought her over to our home to visit and his words were “My wife is not happy when I bring her here.” That was the last time we saw her until she was 5 years old. I don’t ask to see my gc because I don’t want to cause any problems with he and his wife. She has a control over him that I just don’t understand. This weekend I am going to place a call to him when he is on his second job. He is a security guard in a cemetery so there is no one there to bother him (LOL) and I am very gently going to ask him as to what;s going on as I know he is starting to withdraw from us. I don’t for minute believe he will tell me the truth, but I am sure his wife is giving him grief and if he is at all honest and says that this is the situation then I will gently and kindly tell him I wish he and his family well, but no worries his father and I will not call him anymore. I need closure. Whatever few years I have in this life I want to enjoy and move forward. My husband and I don’t have the energy to buy another ticket to board the emotional roller coaster ride. This will be his decision and whatever he decides, it will be on his head. I tried my best to make things right but if for whatever reason he doesn’t want it, I have no control over it. You are no by means being intrusive by asking. We are all here to help one another and learn from each other.

quote:

He spent about 5 hours with us. There was no arguing, I just asked him how did we reach this point. We were a close family. There is not enough space to write all the questions I asked him which he had no defense for and any explanation he gave held no water and was utter nonsense.

I brought up things that happened over 25 years ago. He never once looked me in the eye when responding and just kept his head down.

Is "not understanding human interaction at all" a feature of pathological narcissism?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

trickybiscuits posted:

Is "not understanding human interaction at all" a feature of pathological narcissism?

I think understanding but not caring unless it benefits you is a feature.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

[/quote]

They understand it. They just eschew it as soon as it's inconvenient to them. Narcissists expect time and space to bend to their whims, so good luck getting them to respect normal human behavior.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I mean, she all but said, “I don’t value what he does. I mean, his second job isn’t even a REAL job.”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of my favorite recurring bits is "my estranged child was here for five hours, I asked them hundreds of questions during that time and they didn't have an answer for anything"

loving seriously? Just try to picture that, it's beyond absurd.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Cowman posted:

She's also started calling me dad which is a pretty good feeling..

You don't know just how important you are to her. :unsmith:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of my favorite recurring bits is "my estranged child was here for five hours, I asked them hundreds of questions during that time and they didn't have an answer for anything"

loving seriously? Just try to picture that, it's beyond absurd.

More specifically, they bombarded him with accusatory questions for 5 hours, but dismissed all his answers. Which is super convenient, because that means they must be right and don't need to reflect on their behavior or change in any way!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, I understand exactly what actually happened, it's just so amusing to me that the other estranged parents buy that same bullshit over and over again when it simply does not make sense.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Dienes posted:

More specifically, they bombarded him with accusatory questions for 5 hours, but dismissed all his answers. Which is super convenient, because that means they must be right and don't need to reflect on their behavior or change in any way!

reading that post (the estranged shithead’s, not yours) gave me a flashback to when my own father decided to do much the same thing to me, when I was in my early teens and he was a much worse and angrier person. once he kept me up past one a.m. on a school night and I don’t think that even at the time I could pinpoint why, because he’d just unload at me about all the ways my mother and I weren’t doing anything right or were ~undermining his authority~

for whatever it’s worth, in the years since, he’s put forth what appears to be a genuine effort to be less poo poo as a father and person, and while he’s still quite capable of being exasperating as all hell I can respect that he’s not the angry, controlling total fuckhead he used to be :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Clitch posted:

They understand it. They just eschew it as soon as it's inconvenient to them. Narcissists expect time and space to bend to their whims, so good luck getting them to respect normal human behavior.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's sort of incredible how much they drive away the people they want to keep around.

quote:

The absurdity of the accusations ….saw an advice column where a mom complained that grandma sneaked the kids sweets. Others could put their opinion in. Seems she was to DEMAND that grandma follow her rules while she babysat for free. Bitter judgements because of..a cookie?? Free daycare w love and a cookie is like you committed murder in the daughters viewpoint. I see this in my life and others dealing w estrangement. Minor issues are major and worthy of them hating me in their eyes. No matter how careful l was they would explode w rage and hate. It was and is bizaare. Its not something you can apologize for and move on. They accept no apologies. The accusations are crazy most of the time.
You don't keep a relationship with someone by being dismissive of their concerns. Especially regarding their children!