Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anti-malarial drug Trump touted is linked to higher rates of death in VA coronavirus patients, study says

quote:

More than 27 percent of patients treated with hydroxychloroquine died, and 22 percent of those treated with the combination therapy died, compared with an 11.4 percent death rate in those not treated with the drugs, the study said.

I can't believe Dr Elon would give Jared and Trump bad advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

How do we get the one drooling idiot to take it out on the other?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Let Elon design Space Air Force One.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SelenicMartian posted:

Let Elon design Space Air Force One.

lets all tweet this at him

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Get ready for Starlink this winter!

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...nd-market.shtml

It's very real and beautiful.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there was a great comment in an ars article about this today claiming that the planned solution to the issue with the low orbit/fast transit of the individual sats was to have each customer with a dish array that could track multiple transponders at once as they wiz over the horizon, to keep there from being constant service drops.

i have no idea if it's based on anything starlink has ever claimed or if it's wholly that person's imagination, but it's hilarious either way

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

infernal machines posted:

there was a great comment in an ars article about this today claiming that the planned solution to the issue with the low orbit/fast transit of the individual sats was to have each customer with a dish array that could track multiple transponders at once as they wiz over the horizon, to keep there from being constant service drops.

i have no idea if it's based on anything starlink has ever claimed or if it's wholly that person's imagination, but it's hilarious either way

The antenna is said to be a phased array the size of a pizza box and would cost at least $1000 if mass produced, according to an antenna company guy. Also nobody actually built one yet

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

BMan posted:

The antenna is said to be a phased array the size of a pizza box and would cost at least $1000 if mass produced, according to an antenna company guy. Also nobody actually built one yet

Yeees, phased array with (multiple?) spot beam tracking, you're a genius musk! :sickos:

If they sell a Tx/Rx phased array for 1000 bux (lol) I'm buying it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that $1k pricepoint has a huge asterisk next to it for sure

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

$1k if you pledge via Kickstarter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I literally am a ham radio operator that has made contacts on our low orbit satellites for the past twenty years. musk is a loving idiot and has no business shipping 30,000 tons of space junk into low orbit so his cars can be remotely disabled anywhere on earth when you forget to pay your monthly DLC fees

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

that $1k pricepoint has a huge asterisk next to it for sure

Well, that price is only available to those who agree to martian indentured servitude.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

I literally am a ham radio operator that has made contacts on our low orbit satellites for the past twenty years. musk is a loving idiot and has no business shipping 30,000 tons of space junk into low orbit so his cars can be remotely disabled anywhere on earth when you forget to pay your monthly DLC fees

do you think he should install OS/2 warp on his cars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it works for ATMs, and at least it's not ubuntu

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stefan Prodan posted:

i dont know anything about os/2 warp sorry

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is there any rundown on how Starlink is purported to work? Obviously you can't just put a bunch of wi-fi routers in orbit and have people connect to them with the standard wi-fi radios in their devices. (though I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Elon wants it to work because he's a dumbass)

So what hardware will you need to connect to it? How much does it cost? Will it actually be affordable to people in backwoods areas who already access the internet via cell phone network? Will it even be faster than cell phone internet? Have I already put more thought into it than he ever did?

wait seriously? I read this before writing up the previous bit of my post and I had assumed that the antenna described was going to be on the satellites for tracking each other.

He thinks that's something that is practical for a consumer to buy? :psyduck:

BattleMaster has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Apr 24, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I wish he figured out how loving stupid his idea was before making GBS threads useless garbage into the sky

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't worry every transponder will be part of a mesh network!*

*none of the satellites launched so far have the hardware for this

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

DarkDobe posted:

Go look up Kreosan on youtube.
My favourite literal-warzone-dwelling lunatic-slav mad scientists.

Unlike Tesla the poo poo they make actually works as intended, though.

First video I click and they're crawling through the Chernobyl reactor.

Pro work, thank you very much.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm catching up on the thread but this caught my eye from before musk even announced that he was giving 'ventilators' out (that turned out to be CPAP machines)

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

he'll try to resell CPAP machines with some extra plastic cladding as ventilators

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Stefan Prodan posted:

Might fix the panel gaps.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Pidgin Englishman posted:

First video I click and they're crawling through the Chernobyl reactor.

Pro work, thank you very much.

The Chernobyl saga is still ongoing I believe? They had secret hideouts in the abandoned buildings there last I watched - but the reactor visit is new!

Their earlier videos often featured the sounds and aftermath of Russian military attacks, and a lot of backyard science/electrical 'engineering'.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

Is there any rundown on how Starlink is purported to work? Obviously you can't just put a bunch of wi-fi routers in orbit and have people connect to them with the standard wi-fi radios in their devices. (though I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Elon wants it to work because he's a dumbass)

So what hardware will you need to connect to it? How much does it cost? Will it actually be affordable to people in backwoods areas who already access the internet via cell phone network? Will it even be faster than cell phone internet? Have I already put more thought into it than he ever did?

wait seriously? I read this before writing up the previous bit of my post and I had assumed that the antenna described was going to be on the satellites for tracking each other.

He thinks that's something that is practical for a consumer to buy? :psyduck:

You'll need a receiver that I believe was described to be the size of a pizza box.

Generally satellite internet is you bouncing your signal off a satellite down to some ground based dish that then routes all your traffic over the internet. The current systems are extra suck because they have like 800ms of latency. Starlink is supposed to be less because the units are much closer to earth so it's probably just adding 40-80ms of latency on top of your regular latency to your destination on the internet. All it does is add latency vs. a ground based connection but it's "better than nothing"

They have theorized an idea where all the dishes will bounce signals between them, so theoretically if you're going from say, Texas to Korea, it's faster routing between satellites than going across undersea transmission lines and you'll save a bit of latency on really long hops. Like full self driving, this exists mostly in theory. In fact probably even more theoretical since FSD at least drives the cars well enough to hit fire trucks.

It's also going to be 50-100% more expensive than getting Comcast or w/e and each node has relatively low (10Gbps) bandwidth so it will suck rear end if a lot of people get it in dense population areas.

Basically it's going to be an internet upgrade for like, oil tankers and RVs who can afford to pay more for mediocre service and that's pretty much it. How that's going to justify all the money they're spending deploying it - lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MunchE posted:

You'll need a receiver that I believe was described to be the size of a pizza box.

it's worth pointing out that this hypothetical receiver also does not exists as described, there's is no pizza box sized phased array that can track multiple sats as they wiz across the sky in their super low orbits. and if at some point there is it's certainly not going to cost $1000

so that doesn't exist, much like the point to point connections between the satellites don't exist, nor do the routing protocols for a several thousand node mesh.

starlink physically cannot do any of the things they've claimed thus far, what they can do is maybe offer a really lovely version of regular satellite internet service, with lower latency for the minute or so at a time you're connected. nevertheless, musk is boosting thousands of these things into LEO

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

what country do you think will be the first to say “actually gently caress this” and start knocking down starlink with anti satellite weapons

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

probably none, since that'd be an absolutely insane escalation and most likely violate a ton of international treaties

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

probably none, since that'd be an absolutely insane escalation and most likely violate a ton of international treaties

So "North Korea" (actually the Russians or Chinese), then?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

It'd be pretty fuckin sweet tho

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Are they close enough that, say, a university lab grade laser could cause appreciable damage to delicate systems? Cause I could definitely see a frustrated astronomy department pulling an interdisciplinary Real Genius.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MunchE posted:

It'd be pretty fuckin sweet tho

gently caress ya

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Not Alex posted:

Are they close enough that, say, a university lab grade laser could cause appreciable damage to delicate systems? Cause I could definitely see a frustrated astronomy department pulling an interdisciplinary Real Genius.

Now that would be sweet. Maybe organize a distributed effort with other institutions, a real life reverse Low Orbit Ion Cannon.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

considering how tiny the things are and how fast they are going you'd probably want to burst a nuke to take out the entire cluster BUT i think people would frown on detonating a nuke in low orbit even if it didn't actually hurt anyone but satellites

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Gonna go ahead and say any tx/rx phased array antenna the size of a pizza box that exists today is gonna a. be in the nose of a fighter jet b. be top secret hardware c. cost... a little more than $1,000

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
just hire spacex to carry a giant net into orbit and tell them it's to "catch the cosmic energy" or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lady Militant posted:

considering how tiny the things are and how fast they are going you'd probably want to burst a nuke to take out the entire cluster BUT i think people would frown on detonating a nuke in low orbit even if it didn't actually hurt anyone but satellites

the whole "emp an entire continent" thing would probably be unpopular

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

the whole "emp an entire continent" thing would probably be unpopular

couldn't you wait until they were above the middle of the ocean, and the size of the nuke wouldn't need to be that big. idk man I'm putting on my best SAC officer act whadya want from me

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You could probably stick a laser strong enough to gently caress up optics/solar arrays in a cubesat but it wouldn't have propulsion needed to intercept stuff and without using spaceflight certified components it would only survive for like a week or two

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Just put some fire trucks in the sky and those satellites will crash into them

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

imagine a command and conquer game where one of the factions is elon musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lmao I love hearing people justify starlink by saying how nice it will be for poor people all over the planet to get free internet. Motherfucker it's not going to be free, how are you supposed to make profit off people that can't afford to pay you anything? That's like saying won't it be nice when everybody in Africa has a free model 3.