Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

overmind2000 posted:

It just occurred to me that there's a pretty big hole in the Head Doctor being Tooru's Stand theory. Back in chapter 76 the Head Doctor and Wu were at the orchard disguised as ambulance drivers. Unless Tooru projected his Stand to create a disguised illusion that was also driving the ambulance it's pretty unlikely that the Head Doctor is just a Stand.

This is a very good point. Tooru also allowed Rai and Josuke to get to the New Locacaca laboratory during the fight with Wu, which seems counterproductive if he's also the Head Doctor and trying to protect those same fruits. If Tooru was the ambulance driver, or if his stand was the ambulance driver, he would have recognized them both from the battle over the branch and either killed them then and there or at least not helped them get into the lab. Tooru also chose to show Yasuho the photo of Satoru and Mitsuba, which seems really odd if that was his secret stand identity illusion. On the other hand, the Head Doctor appeared right after Tooru saved the boy when Josuke was confronting him about his presence, and he didn't have a photo of himself with the Head Doctor like he originally thought.

Tooru may yet have a stand, but it seems very odd for his stand to be the Head Doctor. I feel that a character who has previously been set up as a total good guy (saving the boy, helping Josuke and Rai get to the lab, agreeing that Josuke didn't kill the broken neck guy, agreeing to come help Yasuho, driving her to the Higashikata estate) being a major villain would be quite the twist. I think he just loves Yasuho, more than anything. Hopefully he will save her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Maybe he's being possessed by an "evil spirit" :tinfoil:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I love how loving weird stands have gotten in Pt8. Like, between stuff like whatever this stand is, Awaking III Leaves, Fun Fun Fun, even Soft & Wet, they're so esoteric and strange.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

JfishPirate posted:

Tooru may yet have a stand, but it seems very odd for his stand to be the Head Doctor. I feel that a character who has previously been set up as a total good guy (saving the boy, helping Josuke and Rai get to the lab, agreeing that Josuke didn't kill the broken neck guy, agreeing to come help Yasuho, driving her to the Higashikata estate) being a major villain would be quite the twist. I think he just loves Yasuho, more than anything. Hopefully he will save her.

The JoJo fan wiki thinks the bone blade robot is the Head Doctor's Stand but considering that it tried to ambush Josuke with non-calamity attack close to where Tooru was it's way more likely that it's Tooru's Stand

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 17, 2020

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

overmind2000 posted:

The JoJo fan wiki thinks the bone blade robot is the Head Doctor's Stand but considering that it tried to ambush Josuke with a physical, non-calamity attack very close to where Tooru was it's way more likely that it's Tooru's Stand

I think the Wiki is basing this off of the final page of chapter 85, which shows it next to the Head Doctor. On the other hand, the sun motif in the stand's eyes matches the sun on Tooru's jacket, though not exactly. It is also worth noting that the S overlaid on the sun on Tooru's jacket could possibly indicate that he's S(a)To(o)ru. In any case, I can't wait to see the mystery solved!

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Tooru is the doctor's stand

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thinking about it this feels similar to how Tsurugi killed the Doobie Wah guy, everyone is trying to pursue the Head Doctor just like that one guy was following Joubin. Although the calamities seems to be everything around you instead of a full on bus collision.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Gotta say, I loving love this arc so far. It seems like a (more?) competent successor to the Chariot Requiem "chase", except with The World-level mystery and dumb-rear end Looney Tunes ability. It's insanely dumb, yet incredibly terrifying, and it's loving amazing.
Now I just hope it doesn't end in a wet fart much like Chariot Requem's arc did, with one character figuring out the weakness off-screen, doing some poo poo and voila.

So Rai is just using Kira's tactics of annoying a man so hard that he almost kills himself, I guess? Not sure what the gently caress even happened there.

I'll agree with everyone who's suspicious of Tooru, because, I mean, look at that loving guy. The first time he appears this chapter we see a close up on his dead empty eyes. There are some contradictions, of course, but the pessimist in me also remembers the whole "Norisuke wants Josuke to be his slave" situation that just went nowhere. I'll fight "Araki forgot lol" meme to death, but he changes his mind a lot, and there are quite a few mysteries that went nowhere. I can see it all being a red herring, but I honestly don't know what I'd want more. On one hand, him being the villain who decided to go against himself a few times earlier in the story is shoddy writing, but on the other I just hate his loving face and want someone to punch him.

Brought To You By posted:

So the stand is visible to normal people as well? Because an entire conference room saw the head doctor unless the Tooru's stand just conveniently took the form of an 89-year old man with a slight limp.
While not remotely the same, Strength and some other stands were visible, too.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Vookatos posted:

So Rai is just using Kira's tactics of annoying a man so hard that he almost kills himself, I guess? Not sure what the gently caress even happened there.

He simultaneously annoyed him enough to start moving around while also prattling on about [Old Man] (hey if this stand isn't just named Old Man i'll riot) enough to get him thinking about him so that the Calamity effect would hit him. There wasn't really anything else around at that point so the knife just kinda went into his neck.

quote:

There are some contradictions, of course, but the pessimist in me also remembers the whole "Norisuke wants Josuke to be his slave" situation that just went nowhere.

I feel like Norisuke just kinda chilled out about Josuke after a while, especially when they fought off [I Am A Rock] together.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Uh, he's clearly [Ol' Dirty Bastard]. :colbert:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah but stands are almost always song titles at this point

gotta stick with the branding

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Honestly it’ll be more of a twist at this point if Tooru ISN’T the head doctor.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

we are at the point where this could zag so many stupid-rear end ways and I'm all in

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nope

I hope it's named after an 89-Year old band.

Not 89 years-old but something in the spirit of being old

「Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band」

or

「Frontier Psychiatrist」

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

One of the panels in this chapter reminded of a panel from Steel Ball Run that may or may not end up being related

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
turns out the old man Can Just Do That

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Once again I've decided to go through JoJolion from the beginning to catch up and the volume covers are so tasty. There's something about the soft pastel color choices that also pop at the same time that's really appealing.

I wish everything were colored like this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Here's a piece he did for the olympics:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Here's a piece he did for the olympics:

Paralympics to be exact.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Vookatos posted:

For sure, it's not outside the realm of possibility and this chapter insinuates that the prisoner could also see the doctor once the photo was taken so it's entirely possible that the stand has the property to be visible to non-users. There's just the question of the stand encountered in the stairwell before all this kicked off as well as the ever present doctor walking in the walls but also killing it on the presentation floor.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Vookatos posted:

I thought Strength gave the ability to boost up objects, or something. Which is why that massive ship shrank down to a rowboat after Forever was defeated. Basically the ship not being the Stand, but an effect of it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If not Strength, a stand like Yellow Temperence is a stand that is technically visible to others since it absorbs and manipulates organic matter. Like when Jotaro gets on the Gondala and the stand user was impersonating a woman. Or Surface from Part 4. So I can buy the theory that the head doctor giving the presentation is also the stand but the thing all of those "physical" stands have in common is that they are possessing or assimilating something material which is what makes them visible to all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just realized that gold experience requiem is just the knock knock banana joke

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I think Chase should have been the OP for part 8 instead of 4.

This scene at the end is basically the current story arc.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
chase should also have been the op for the third arc, great days blows

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Bad opinion.

I honestly think chase doesn't fit well with anything really. It's a very serious OP for -any- arc of JoJo. I actually started liking the song, mainly due to Jonathan Young's cover (I still quite dislike original singer's voice), but I still can't get over how cold and grey that opening is. That's the period of the show where Mikitaka shows up, iirc.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can't think of Chase as gritty because it just sounds like the soundtrack to a Japanese Tony Hawk game to me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chase is the best OP of 2003.

MODS?!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You rang?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

The Bee posted:

I can't think of Chase as gritty because it just sounds like the soundtrack to a Japanese Tony Hawk game to me.
Oh I was mainly talking about the visuals during the OP. All grey and dark. The song itself doesn't come close to even The End of the World, which felt way more menacing at parts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

great days blows

what the gently caress

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Augus posted:

what the gently caress

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

great days blows

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oItlCGLgbqQ

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
https://twitter.com/eyyobrar/status/1248656062741266433

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Goddammit, Johnny, if you just have some faith in me.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Augus posted:

what the gently caress

I mean it could be worse, it could be sono chi no kioku

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

I mean it could be worse, it could be sono chi no kioku
Ok, if you're not trolling here, I wanna hear all your (wrong) opening opinions.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
bored in quarantine did jojo makeup
https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1254074596187348993

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

I like your shirt.