Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

All the concerns about difficulty based on the demo seem completely overblown. The game has had its boot on my throat since the Machine Golem boss on the bridge and hasn't let up since. That room in Valsena with five loving machine golems can eat my entire taint. But also,

Mega64 posted:

Game owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Zhenova hurts a lot less when you use an ice coin or use one of the claws to add ice to your weapon. It puts the fire right out. Mind you, I also forgot it was weak to ice and thought it was weak to fire so I levelled up to like 25 before to get fireball on Angela before I remembered 1) it was ice and 2) Angela can't use fireball since I didn't have the fire spirit yet.

In summary, I am a fool.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Could Bil(l) and Ben always do that?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Getting a bunch of enemies near together then hitting Riesz' CS1 makes me hard and switch struggle to stay alive.

Its awesome

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zenithe posted:

Could Bil(l) and Ben always do that?

Remove your spleen with a rusty trowel on demand? Yeah.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Bil and Ben really do feel like a fight that was intended for multiplayer.
Even then ive enjoyed every bossfight the game's thrown at me so far.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I think the ability was called underground?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Shade is the elemental spirit of goatse and I can never unsee it now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zenithe posted:

I think the ability was called underground?

Do you mean Shadow Menace? That was something they could always do, but it was just a targeted attack back in SD3.

Managed to make it through the Sanctuary and I've been having a blast. Elementalist Angela is loving bonkers after you get Explode; I'm nailing even non-vulnerable enemies for something like 450-500 per cast if I'm at max mana. I've personally enjoyed the battle system and revised boss battles a lot, although I can see some people getting turned off by it. On Hard, it's largely a game of micromanagement: you need to quickly shove Chocolate down peoples' throats using characters that aren't being targeted by telegraphs, as well as occasionally swapping to characters to manually handle dodging or repositioning (especially for tracking AoEs). Funnily enough, I think a more isometric view like in the first game would actually help out with this a lot, since it's sometimes easy to lose sight of your other party members and therefore can't see what they're being targeted by.

In a way, it's actually managed to keep the spirit of the original, where there was constant damage coming out that was impossible to avoid, but added in a dimension of player skill with the telegraphs and boss mechanics that keeps combat from being a purely binary stat check. This is in tune with the rest of the game, which is a well-done homage more than a fully faithful recreation, something which elevates it above being a mere graphical upgrade. I'm honestly pretty flabbergasted how good this remake is for being done on what feels like a pauper's budget.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 25, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

I'm honestly pretty flabbergasted how good this remake is for being done on what feels like a pauper's budget.

You can tell it was made with a lot of love :unsmith:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

fowwow the fwowawas

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

The second time you encounter bil and ben has the potential to spiral out of control since they can ressurect each other

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Chrodyn posted:

The second time you encounter bil and ben has the potential to spiral out of control since they can ressurect each other

That's what they do the first time too, unless you get them both close tot he same time. They even ressurect with most of their health and their shield

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Very important information: you can still make Booscaboo Vuscav honk.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I wonder if Bil and Ben had that mechanic before but you'd never know it because it is literally impossible to not kill them at the same time in the original even if you're trying cause arena small and attacks wide

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fister Roboto posted:

Very important information: you can still make Booscaboo Vuscav honk.

Nothing that looks that silly shouldn't be named Booskaboo.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Booscaboo Vuscav

What the gently caress, turns out this game is bad after all

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

All the concerns about difficulty based on the demo seem completely overblown. The game has had its boot on my throat since the Machine Golem boss on the bridge and hasn't let up since. That room in Valsena with five loving machine golems can eat my entire taint. But also,

The demo is way easier. I'm actually fairly sure it's not just damage/etc that was changed for the demo, but even drop rates. I got seeds every couple fights there, and was almost level 2 seed box when playing the demo. Doing the game from the beginning on the full game was completely different there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Serious protip: Enigma is a really good passive for casters. It makes enemies just flat out ignore them most of the time, so you can just sit back and nuke. Plus it makes it easier to get the 10% extra XP for not taking damage.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Fister Roboto posted:

Serious protip: Enigma is a really good passive for casters. It makes enemies just flat out ignore them most of the time, so you can just sit back and nuke. Plus it makes it easier to get the 10% extra XP for not taking damage.

It’s very good for Hawkeye too, even in melee. Ranger also gets a passive for extra damage against enemies that are targeting another character. Duran as a light class with provoke and two characters with enigma might be a really good strategy.

Ranger looks so much worse than Ninja on paper, again true to the original. His spells are way weaker and don’t have debuffs and are split between luck and int. He does get melee damage passives that Ninja lacks, but, on paper they seem pretty situational.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Finally ran into a weird glitch in the desert, Riesz just stopped having a hurtbox on her attacks whatsoever and just whiffed everything as if she didnt exist. She could still take damage, and seemed to have ended after she casted something.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
So, mmh.

I am with Riesz/Angela/Hawk. I was thinking Light Riesz, Light Angela? (not sure what's the difference there honestly), and Dark Hawk, but I always feel bad for picking Dark Hawk.

Is there any reason to pick Light Hawk?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Might work in this game? Not sure because Light Riesz and Dark Hawk are way too good not to use together.
Heads up though, Riesz technically got a nerf in that she doesn't get her stat spells until you get Salamando and Undine. Dark Hawkeye does not have that issue, he can grab them as soon as he changes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I’m genuinely surprised at how much enthusiasm and good press this games getting, when I tried the demo it really put me off big time, the impressions I got from it was that it just feels incredibly basic and sparse, like a fan took the layout of the 16 but game and made a unity mockup of it, and quite honestly the story pacing and delivery of the character animation was super bad lol, I mean, dragon quest 11 was also a simple story but it was very charming and got me interested from the get go. Whereas this game didn’t feel like it had the same charisma, I played as the big haired hero fighter dude but he seemed pretty dull. “I gotta get stronger to protect my liege”. Maybe I’m missing something? I guess I should delve a little deeper into the demo and see if the game will win me over...

I mean, DQ 11 won me over enough that it’s definitely on my “to buy” list despite it being very much a typical JRPG, but I’m just not quite there yet with this one...

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 25, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

fwowas gwow wed, thanks chawwotte

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

wow that Zehnoa fight did NOT mess around. First boss I didn't get 10% no hit xp on, I used up ALL of my cups of wishes the first time... 2nd time went much better by just facehugging and switching everyone on same target

Zenithe posted:

fwowas gwow wed, thanks chawwotte

we'a aww gwowing stwonga

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I wouldn't really say the game has gotten good press. Hype and coverage for it yeah, but uhh reviews seem to be underwhelmed

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 25, 2020

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Arkeus posted:

Is there any reason to pick Light Hawk?

In the original, dark hawk was a lot more versatile and provided debuffs to boost his own damage with both spells and attacks, so he fit easily into more teams. Light hawk (after Ranger, which just sucked) was very good too, but harder to use. Rogue had a good range of top-tier spells, effectively infinite MP and excellent melee. But he didn’t offer support and needed a party built around his strengths to reach maximum potential. Wanderer was similar, though support focused in weird ways that typically didn’t directly increase your damage, but could still be completely amazing in the right situations or on the right team.

I don’t think anyone knows perfectly how they compare in the remake. Ranger seems more melee focused, while ninja is more casting focused, but I don’t really know how either play in practice.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The good news is that in the remake, you seem to be able to... reset your class? Am I reading these options right?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Bruceski posted:

A couple of mechanics things I haven't caught on my own:
--Some skills reference power attacks. Is that the class strike (what it's called in the xp bonus if you kill with it)? Any strong attack? Charged strong attacks?
--Is there any purpose to points in a stat other than the bonuses? Is 5 points in strength different from 4. or more than 6 in a stat before class change?

Power attacks are your musou-like end combos. X, YX, YYX, and so on.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It’s very good for Hawkeye too, even in melee. Ranger also gets a passive for extra damage against enemies that are targeting another character. Duran as a light class with provoke and two characters with enigma might be a really good strategy.

Ranger looks so much worse than Ninja on paper, again true to the original. His spells are way weaker and don’t have debuffs and are split between luck and int. He does get melee damage passives that Ninja lacks, but, on paper they seem pretty situational.

I'm guessing the end classes will make up for it on that front. Nomad gets the very powerful Poison Bubble spell and Rogue is basically what if your offensive caster was based around Luck as it's casting stat.

That said, remember that Hawkeye's elemental jutsus are magic attacks, not traps/projectiles, so if you're going Ninja Master, you want to switch to raising Intellect as high as it can to up the damage of his jutsus once you get the upgraded versions.

Also, I think Ninja Master Hawkeye might legit be the best crowd clearer/controller in terms of dishing out AoE damage. Ninja Chain's upgraded cousin ramps up his elemental jutsus something fierce after a few casts and they target enemies like how the original would so they're very rarely escaping the damage, and they can stun enemies. (Not so tough now are you, you freakin' ninja shits in Nevarl!) With Weak Point (which is also behind Intellect), he can ramp up his damage even further if an enemy is weak to earth, wind, water, or fire and the debuffs are cherry on top (and makes him synergize extremely well with Light Riesz, as in the original), unless it's the Earth Diversion one which is basically the hardest hitting of his jutsus this time around (pro-tip: if there's no enemy that's immune to or absorbs fire, cast Fire Diversion, then follow up with chaincasts of Earth Diversion to really ramp up the damage; bonus if Hawkeye's also buffed by Riesz). Shuriken also becomes a cone-shaped AoE which is nice, though the jutsus are the focal point.

Not to mention, since the jutsus hit from any point, Ninja Master Hawkeye can just stay away from the enemy and cast, cast, cast. It's actually kinda braindead in that you only really need to check for elemental immmunities/absorbs for any new enemy and revise your chaincasting accordingly.

I love how loving focused Hawkeye is in this game compared to the original. As a Ninja, I only really needed to bother with Intellect and Luck when it comes to Stat Training and he's worked wonders for me.

There's also an ability under Strength which seems like it'd help with this even more. (Increases damage of Ninja moves by 25%, holy poo poo!) which might convince me to triple-dip in terms of stat speccing.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 25, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Shoenin posted:

I wouldn't really say the game has gotten good press. Hype and coverage for it yeah, but uhh reviews seem to be underwhelmed

Well to be fair I saw one IGN review and they gave it an 8.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lil' Cactus's reward to offer more Night Market items, anyone know what it actually adds? I checked the vendors and I don't notice anything obviously new.

Also, this game really should've but a Big Lil' Cactus in the Kokoriko village.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Also, this game really should've but a Big Lil' Cactus in the Kokoriko village.

Thought the same thing while I was there haha.

I just got to Tomato Village and found the chain ability there. 30% to use HP instead of MP, will that make charlotte MP infinite???

I wonder if these abilities (Angela gets one that hurts her per cast for more power) prevent you from getting the 10% no hit bonus

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
After testing it does seem to negate the 10% bonus
But only if your controlling Angela/Charlotte. If AI does it you still get the bonus

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I'm a dumbass and completey misunderstood what it does. I blame sleep deprivation.

Good to know though. I'm running Angela with Duran/Chawet just so I can spam spells as angela and whacking things for MP. I'll stick it on someone else then

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

In a really neat touch, when you change classes and therefore colour schemes with Riesz, she keeps her story important piece of clothing on her, whether or not it clashes with your current gear.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Oh Riesz, Why does the quality of your acting fluctuate so much. One minute she sounds solid to great, the other shes as robotic as Other M Samus.
Its irritating. Fortunately shes great where it counts: combat.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Shoenin posted:

Oh Riesz, Why does the quality of your acting fluctuate so much. One minute she sounds solid to great, the other shes as robotic as Other M Samus.

Same with Angela, her highs are pretty good (for her characterization) but the lows are very ???

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Shoenin posted:

I went with Angela, Riesz, and Charlotte, and honestly Riesz is probably the most annoying to me, VA-wise? It's so stilted most of the time, though tbf I've no idea how you make her character interesting. I thought Chawwotte's siwwy gimmick would get old fast but I'm ignoring it at worst.

Angela's a delight, though, they're really leaning in on the whole snooty, bitchy rich girl vibe and it's good, there's little inflections and subtleties and the VA sounds like they're having fun.

Also I chose that party because, when I played this on a SNES emulator years and years ago, I favored physical parties because using spells/skills was so clunky (I think they were entirely manual too, no AI use at all? Ugh) and I wanted to see how that kind of approach works. I'm up to the ghost ship and so far so good! Charlotte heals pretty promtly most of the time, Riesz only has Protect but she uses it liberally, and Angela will fling spells around quite a lot. Mana also seems easier to come by, with abilities and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m genuinely surprised at how much enthusiasm and good press this games getting, when I tried the demo it really put me off big time, the impressions I got from it was that it just feels incredibly basic and sparse, like a fan took the layout of the 16 but game and made a unity mockup of it, and quite honestly the story pacing and delivery of the character animation was super bad lol, I mean, dragon quest 11 was also a simple story but it was very charming and got me interested from the get go. Whereas this game didn’t feel like it had the same charisma, I played as the big haired hero fighter dude but he seemed pretty dull. “I gotta get stronger to protect my liege”. Maybe I’m missing something? I guess I should delve a little deeper into the demo and see if the game will win me over...

I mean, DQ 11 won me over enough that it’s definitely on my “to buy” list despite it being very much a typical JRPG, but I’m just not quite there yet with this one...

The issue is that your characters basically can only use basic attacks until they get their first class change. Some characters, namely Angela and Charlotte, get them sooner, when you get mana spirits. Unfortunately, you get your first spirit at the very end of the demo, so the gameplay is not that representative of the later game. You could watch this very good 10 minute review, where the reviewer purposefully earned all achievements in the game before doing the review, so they definitely know what they're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0AEZby1mug