Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It makes people feel better, sure, but it's pretty immaterial because if you're good enough to do that, you'll win more games and if you tend to afk in spawn you're going to have a ton of losses. Def makes losses sting less, but elo systems are extraordinarily effective at getting people slotted in more or less exactly where they belong.

People feeling better about the ranking system is the whole point, not that it's more accurate. As they're saying, having a more granular system than just pure win/loss ELO feels better for players while achieving the same result faster. Both in how much you win/lose by and individual metrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I don’t think people feel good about elo systems almost ever regardless of anything they do. As long as they keep it opaque they can tell people whatever they want to hear and it’ll still be more or less equally effective. If you take out individual performance and use pure win/loss you just take like 10% longer to get to the same confidence interval and you can track like 500x less data.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If a matchmaker has done its job correctly you're going to be pretty miserable so people are always going to be angry about it.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

I don’t think people feel good about elo systems almost ever regardless of anything they do. As long as they keep it opaque they can tell people whatever they want to hear and it’ll still be more or less equally effective. If you take out individual performance and use pure win/loss you just take like 10% longer to get to the same confidence interval and you can track like 500x less data.

yes but there's also no dumb playstyles to try and "game" the system. idk, the more I think about it the more I lean towards pure w/l

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you take out individual performance and use pure win/loss you just take like 10% longer to get to the same confidence interval and you can track like 500x less data.

So it's less effective for managing balance and game development and takes longer. Sounds worse!

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
not sure if this was posted before but from what I've tested myself it seems accurate. maybe something for in the OP? credit to ClakeyD

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Only thing missing from it is that bunny hopping does give you a move speed penalty once you land for ~a half second.

I've found a couple of bugs lately and posted on the reddit page but they're both pretty weird. Viper screen on Bind A from spawn will sometimes drop a portion of the screen in the sewers. Cypher cam on the same site can see enemies through spawn walls if placed high above sewer exit (they even show on minimap). It seems anywhere the cam can bug out through some geometry it can see enemies where it shouldn't be able to. There's a similar placement on B that let's you see through the big pillar in the middle.

Astrognome
Jun 2, 2011
Got my beta key last night, still can't play because of something to do with Vanguard. Went as far as uninstalling VirtualBox and a couple other services it supposedly flags, still can't play. GG Riot, good game you have here that requires the player to have a separate work computer.

ParadeRainer
Jul 2, 2019
From what I heard, performance based metrics will only be a thing for lower ranks and the higher your rank the less they will be taken into account until you hit Valorant where it will be pure win/loss. Seems ok, but I tend to agree with Herstory that if you're "hard carrying" you'll win more games and climb faster regardless so its really just feel good fluff. The Elo system is ruthlessly accurate and if you're "stuck" in a rank it's because you belong there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ParadeRainer posted:

From what I heard, performance based metrics will only be a thing for lower ranks and the higher your rank the less they will be taken into account until you hit Valorant where it will be pure win/loss.

Except they explicitly said the margins of victory will also matter at the top rank.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If someone with a 4.5 KD carries my opponents to a 13-1 victory I want that person to gain as much rating as necessary to keep me from seeing them again. I was about to say "until I get that good" but let's be honest

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just want a system where I can be a middling player instead of a trash player. I do miss the days where you would just hop on to servers and maybe eat poo poo or maybe be a god.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

So it's less effective for managing balance and game development and takes longer. Sounds worse!

i'm more making a point about attitudes towards elo systems than what is the ~hypothetical optimal~ system that they should implement.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want to go back to server lists thanks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
my hypothetical ~optimal elo ranking system~ involves tiers such as 'dogshit rank' 'garbage-tier' 'try to throw less' 'literally a trashcan' and so on and the game should insult you at the start of each match

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

prom candy posted:

I just want a system where I can be a middling player instead of a trash player. I do miss the days where you would just hop on to servers and maybe eat poo poo or maybe be a god.

Call of Duty already exists

Groovelord Neato posted:

Same a thousand times

ParadeRainer
Jul 2, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

Except they explicitly said the margins of victory will also matter at the top rank.

OK, true, I forgot about that part but that is still a team-wide metric vs an individual one, which is fine.

flakeloaf posted:

If someone with a 4.5 KD carries my opponents to a 13-1 victory I want that person to gain as much rating as necessary to keep me from seeing them again. I was about to say "until I get that good" but let's be honest

Well that's how it's going to work until the highest rank, so you're fine :D

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
usually main sova in this but had some people slampicking him so i decided to try out cypher. seems p loving good? went 32-15-4 in my last match.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also as an aside i have been playing online games since like 1996 and i have literally never experienced a more toxic player base than the people who play this game lmao

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I find that hard to believe

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

also as an aside i have been playing online games since like 1996 and i have literally never experienced a more toxic player base than the people who play this game lmao

what games are you playing?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Groovelord Neato posted:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Liar

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
r6siege, destiny 2, overwatch, csgo, etc etc

dota 2 comes fairly close but while people are assholes there i think i'm about 50-50 in valorant matches where someone just starts dropping slurs at the first round loss

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do you not play competitive modes or never are in chat or are deaf or something?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've had one of maybe twenty matches where I actually had to mute the pubbies because they were being toxic in voice. I have no idea how some people have managed to get partied up with the depths of the brown sea.

Also, play with goons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

found the lie

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you only played certain modes I could see it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Wait, there's a way to gain speed while bunnyhopping? What's the proper technique? Did this person actually time an improvement from getting to point B from point A?

Is that just for a short-term over a few hops? Is that something you can do while traversing the map?

I know how to bunnyhop in the old half-life engine and can do bunny-hopping in a similar way in Valorant, but my bhops are slower than running in a straight line if I time it over a medium-long distance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You move 10% faster in the air as long as you perfectly maintain the bhopping, but again, you move slower (walk speed?) upon initial landing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

What is "perfectly maintain" the bhopping? I do what works in the goldsource/half-life 1 engine and it doesn't work here.

Is it a 10% speed improvement total when moving from point A to point B or is it a 10% speed improvement of the momentum in the air while curving around a lot?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can hold W while doing it instead of CS style air strafing, so yes it can get you to a point faster if you maintain. If you don't jump at the right time the slow effect from landing tags you and you lose momentum.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Is there a video of what correct bhopping over a long distance looks like? Do you have to hold W or does holding W make it more consistent? I want to know if maybe I'm arcing too wide or narrow or whatever.

Is there actually acceleration from moving your mouse like in half-life 1 or is there some other engine mechanic in play to bhop? I remember in half-life 1 you get a lot of momentum from just swinging your mouse really fast into the direction you wanted to go to begin a bhop or other movement mechanic.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 25, 2020

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm fairly sure there's no ms bonus to strafing in valorant. Honestly I was a little surprised by that bit so I'm going to ask him. I'm kinda sorta expecting it has to do with maintaining momentum from other stuff, such as raze's blastpack or jumping down a ramp, but I'm probably wrong

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

I'm fairly sure there's no ms bonus to strafing in valorant. Honestly I was a little surprised by that bit so I'm going to ask him. I'm kinda sorta expecting it has to do with maintaining momentum from other stuff, such as raze's blastpack or jumping down a ramp, but I'm probably wrong

It used to let you maintain speed over sage's ice but they removed that in the last patch

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I know but that's not what I'm talking about. Bunnyhopping indeed used to let you cross sage's slow field because there was no air speed penalty, but what I meant was that in other fpses you can gain speed by strafejumping - aka jumping left to right, which is why you see typically don't see bunnyhoppers go in a straight line; you absolutely don't want to press w in most of these games - but there's no such ms bonus in valorant so jumping left to right is pointless in this game afaik

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lex Neville posted:

I know but that's not what I'm talking about. Bunnyhopping indeed used to let you cross sage's slow field because there was no air speed penalty, but what I meant was that in other fpses you can gain speed by strafejumping - aka jumping left to right, which is why you see typically don't see bunnyhoppers go in a straight line; you absolutely don't want to press w in most of these games - but there's no such ms bonus in valorant so jumping left to right is pointless in this game afaik

You can still circle strafe mid air with A and D to corner peak and stuff, which you can't do with just W.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
fair enough, let me rephrase: strafing does nothing for speed in valorant

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The issue with individual stats affecting Elo gain is that once the exact metrics have been explained or otherwise deduced, it generally creates a much more toxic attitude within players and biases player behaviour to focus less on winning and more on their personal statistics. It encourages baiting, over-saving and so on. It creates a secondary goalpost where you can settle for just maximising your K/D if you think the game can't be won, even if it can be. Even more nuanced statistics measurements like, bombs planted/defused giving a slight bonus means that players fight over who gets to defuse, who gets to take the bomb and so on.

In my view, although people crave it, entirely opaque ranking criteria is OK, pure win/loss is better. And transparently rewarding good stats is good for 1-2 people, and sucks for everybody else. Even displaying your KDA in-game publically only really serves to bring misery. In the few games I've played of UNRATED MM in this game, at least one person is flaming the bottom player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jeza posted:

In my view, although people crave it, entirely opaque ranking criteria is OK, pure win/loss is better. And transparently rewarding good stats is good for 1-2 people, and sucks for everybody else. Even displaying your KDA in-game publically only really serves to bring misery.

Overwatch might be more up your alley. It's pure teamwork with no scoreboard (it didn't even have a killfeed at launch!). I'm not saying this in a snarky way either. Players overwhelmingly want scoreboards and stats to see how they're doing. Yes the tradeoff is toxic players flaming someone not doing well but make liberal use of the mute buttons and your gaming will be much more enjoyable.