Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

VALORANT is the new free-to-play economy/round-based tactical FPS from Riot Games, best known for a small indie title called League of Legends. Much like Counter-Strike, the game involves two teams of five players alternating between attacking and defending on one of several maps with multiple bomb sites for the attacking team to choose from. At the start of each round, players who did not survive the previous round purchase weapons and equipment with the money they gained from the results of the previous round. Also much like Counter-Strike, weapon recoil is built around predictable spray patterns when standing still and screen-wide inaccuracy when moving. The game was released on June 2, 2020, and is free to play much like League of Legends, with five of the twelve "agents" being available for free out of the gate and the remainder acquired by playing games with each agent (or paying Riot a pile of your hard-earned local currency if you don't like fun).

So, is this a character based shooter like Overwatch? Nope. A character's abilities are purchased and expended like grenades in Counter-Strike, and ultimates build up over the course of multiple rounds instead of just being on a timer. This is intended to prevent ultimate-based snowballing. On top of that, few of the characters shown off so far have abilities that radically alter the map or deal direct damage, meaning that the overwhelming majority of damage in this game is going to be through the gunplay which appears to be a nearly 1:1 copy of CS:GO's.

Seriously, look at this buy menu from the alpha gameplay preview. You can almost immediately map each gun on there to one in classic Counter-Strike:

There are some differences -- no side-based weapons, one-shot headshots with full armour on two different ARs (one of which has no distance falloff but slower rate of fire, smaller magazine, and costs more), and the shotguns actually look like decent eco options (one of them has air burst!). Half and full armour are effectively an extra 25 and 50 HP each. Abilities replace grenades to make utility and defensive options unique across different team comps. And there's no defuse kit despite the only confirmed game mode so far being bomb.

So far, the Beta has the following agents:
  • Breach - Environment-weaponizing frontliner. Wall-piercing line attacks, flashbangs, concussing line attack. Ultimate is an earthquake cone attack.
  • Brimstone - All-American airstrike enthusiast. Incendiary grenades, single-use temporary fire rate boost, smoke mortar. Ultimate is an orbital strike!
  • Cypher - Surveillance expert. Enemy-revealing tripwire, remote-activated slow trap, remote camera a la siege. Ultimate is Caviera's interrogation from Siege (turn a corpse into the current locations of its team members).
  • Jett - Movement character. Smoke grenades, vertical dash, forward dash. Ultimate is throwing knives.
  • Omen - Spooky boi. Long-distance blinding line attack, Reaper's blink, area darkening grenade. Ultimate is a recon teleport.
  • Phoenix - HUDDA HUDDA HUDDA! Incendiary grenades, vision-blocking fire wall, flashbangs. Ultimate is a partial revive at a marked location on death.
  • Rayna - An entry fragger's dream. Area of effect nearsight and self heal/overheal from successful entryfrags. Ultimate is an incredibly high rate of fire, weapon switch speed, and reload speed increase.
  • Raze - The pub-terrorizer. Heat-seaking wheeled explodey drone, satchel charges that you can grenade jump with, cluster frag grenade. Ultimate is a rocket launcher that makes people scream and rage quit.
  • Sage - Support character. Slowing grenades, solid wall, charge-based heal over time. Ultimate is a single-target revive.
  • Sova - Legolas/Hanzo hybrid. Electrifying projectile, drone, line-of-sight recon projectile. Ultimate is a long-range energy lance.
  • Viper - Rule 34 bait. Corrosive grenade, area gas mine that causes temporary damage (lost health recovers when you exit the cloud), gas line attack. Ultimate is, you guessed it, another really big gas cloud.

Monetization is more like League than CS:GO. Gun skins, unlocking agents without grinding, possibly character skins in the future... And of course, if you want to spend a pile of money, knives and other fancy melee weapons. There will not be loot boxes; Riot has explicitly confirmed this. You can unlock a new agent for free by going halfway through any agent's contract (basically, just play the game with them to unlock rewards); skipping to that point in a contract can be done for a roughly lunch-equivalent amount of your local currency.

Riot seems pretty thoroughly intent on making this a real competitive game with a professional scene like League and CS:GO have. Most organizations in the CS scene have already declared their intent to field one or more teams in the professional Valorant scene, and former pro CS prodigy Brax (known back in the day as swag) has been signed to T1 Entertainment as a pro player and content creator already.

What are other parts of the 'net saying about this game? /r/VALORANT is more like /r/ViperFanArt. Games journalism is split on "this is going to dethrone CS:GO" and "this will die in 6 months". People who haven't actually watched the gameplay round that Riot uploaded think it's going to be Overwatch. No one cares what 4chan thinks.

Goon Discord: https://discord.gg/KGTADTM

When it gets closer to launch (or when we have some more gameplay footage or whatever) I'll update the OP with some more images and links and actual stats. For now, have the unabridged footage of a round from a testing match that Riot posted a while ago that has been overanalysed to hell and back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8amyzDHOKw

MAPS AND CALLOUTS
There are four maps in the rotation! Ascent is the newest, and seems like a pretty solid CS formula map. Bind is another CS formula map but has a one-way teleporter from short A to short B/top mid and a one-way teleporter from the top of long B to the back of long A. Haven is the most unlike CS, with three bomb sites and a shared mid between B and C. Split makes use of height differences quite a bit, with ropes that you can quickly (or silently) use to safely move between height levels of the map in certain chokepoints.

Blitz.gg has a full interactive map viewer with callouts and handy ability usage points and stuff. It seems to not suck. https://blitz.gg/valorant/maps

Quick callout maps in the above order:

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Looks fun

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Should've opened the OP with "No Methanars, not even one."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

njsykora posted:

Should've opened the OP with "No Methanars, not even one."

I genuinely considered making the subtitle "No, Methanar, you can't post here either" but I thought that would be needlessly harsh.

e: actually I don't know if carrying over a threadban to a pseudo-spinoff of a thread is even a thing that the mods will do in retrospect

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 24, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I genuinely considered making the subtitle "No, Methanar, you can't post here either" but I thought that would be needlessly harsh.

e: actually I don't know if carrying over a threadban to a pseudo-spinoff of a thread is even a thing that the mods will do in retrospect

I understand the sentiment but as this is a brand new thread and Methanar has not posted like they did in the LoL thread I am willing to put him on posting probation here.

Methanar if you post badly in this thread as you did in the LoL thread you will not get off lightly. Think of this as a place you can prove your posting contributions are worth being part of discourse. I will not hesitate to probate you properly as well as threadban you from here if you begin treating this like the LoL thread again. Take heed of this please.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Really like the idea of buying use of abilities

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Whats the draw? It seems weird to me to put obviously non-modern spell like abilities into a tactical shooter game.

If this was shadowrun then sure, but its not.

I can't think of a tactical shootmans game that has that. It usually seems to be arcadey-overwatch-like hero shooter and tarkovichs'n'CTs as the primary divide in shooters. Maybe their will be a market for it but the choices made in presentation and design seem weird.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Pretty excited tbh

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Armadillo Tank posted:

Whats the draw?

This is how I feel, I was expecting some sort of hook or gimmick but it just looks like CS with an Overwatch skin.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Armadillo Tank posted:

Whats the draw? It seems weird to me to put obviously non-modern spell like abilities into a tactical shooter game.

I can't think of a tactical shootmans game that has that. It usually seems to be arcadey-overwatch-like hero shooter and tarkovichs'n'CTs as the primary divide in shooters. Maybe their will be a market for it but the choices made in presentation and design seem weird.

I mean, the inclusion of non-modern spell like abilities seems like a sign that it is Shadowrun-esque to me but :shrug:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Armadillo Tank posted:

It's an aesthetic that appeals to people who aren't into the tacticool brown and camo modern warfare stuff. :shrug:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Armadillo Tank posted:

People love pres butan abilities in shooters. It's hard to design good gameplay, but easy to hook people on metered dopamine rewards. IDK if this game will succeed because that poo poo is so antithetical to the spirit of CS, but there's a shitload of money for them to make if it works. COD tacked it on to an arcade shooter with a realism aesthetic and made tons of money, Overwatch tacked it on to a class-based shooter with an arcadey aesthetic and made tons of money, Apex tacked it on to a BR and made tons of money, why not try the same poo poo with CS?

Riot has all the financial and social resources to try to force something like this to succeed, so there's not much reason for them not to try.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think most of them being similar in aspects to different types of grenades and fairly realistic traps (and purchased like grenades in CS) helps make it a bit more grounded. The idea of "CS:GO meets Shadowrun" is one that I myself like the idea of and I think sorta fits the feel they seem to be going for here.

My biggest concern when they were first talking about the game's ability was the ultimate snowball effect you get in Overwatch where a whole team blasting off ults at once is a "50/50 chance to win game" button, but they all seem fairly mundane and the most it seems they can do is give you an extra chance to clutch a round. This is a big deal in a best of 3 game, but in a best of 25, not so much.

Rainbow Six: Siege has "pres butan" abilities on 40+ characters, and while some of them are realistic (breaching thermite, drone jammers, blowtorch, throwable remote cameras) some of them are pretty out there (holographic drone projectors, nanomachines son, a dude who's so beefy he can jump a 6 foot vertical and kool-aid man through walls). It's still considered a competitive tactical shooter.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
came in expecting the hit battle royale reboot of maxis' greatest title, simulation ant, but i guess our universe does not deserve that

Orv
May 4, 2011

Armadillo Tank posted:

I mean the draw for me is CS but not made or run by clowns, which is almost entirely dependent on whether the big game they're talking on anti-cheat and latency is true or not. If the core gameplay is good then the additions to the CS formula will probably be fine.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
its fun to press a button and have your guy go pew pew and shoot lasers or magic or whatever

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Worth noting the Valorant Twitter account has been putting up short videos showing character abilities.

https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1235617949270056965
https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1238148065132982276
https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1240684543499218945
https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1243221256440369152

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Closed beta April 7th, invites via Twitch drops (same system they used for Legends of Runeterra).
https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1244670730110935042

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

njsykora posted:

Closed beta April 7th, invites via Twitch drops (same system they used for Legends of Runeterra).

wait am I gonna have to watch some random rear end streamers then?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

frajaq posted:

In the grim darkness of the second millennium, there is only engagement.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think it’s not impossible for this game to succeed, but a lot of the hype around it seems to be working off a picture of counter strike from like 15 years ago. As incompetent as Valve is they actually did a very good job with CS:GO. There’s a tiny fraction of the number of hackers you had on the wild open server browser of 1.6 circa 2005, the weapons are vastly more balanced in that guns besides the m4/ak/awp are actually worth using, the matchmaking servers aren’t spectacular but they’re decent, they exist, and they're sufficient for casual players. They’ve added new gamemodes that are actually fun for casual play and have the skin ecosystem, they've made new maps like overpass that have actually been taken up by the playerbase and are better designed than ancient legacy maps like nuke and train

There’s probably still low hanging fruit in appealing to casual players, and making the learning curve for how the competitive game is actually played less steep and less reliant on a body of esoteric knowledge kept by the playerbase (basic stuff like how to peek, how to position, how to use grenades is not taught in game anywhere and you basically need to watch youtube videos by random people in their basement to learn it) but there’s a hell of a lot less than there was 10 years ago. Many of the problems Riot claims to be solving were solved already either by Valve themselves or by third party community, which seems like a problem if that's the core pitch of your game. Having character abilities that act as replacements for grenades, and a greater variety of them, could be interesting, but they could also gently caress it up pretty easily

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 31, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

frajaq posted:

If it works anything like the Legends of Runeterra beta, here's what you do:

1. Go into your account settings in Twitch and link your Riot account.
2. Put some streamer on in the background.
3. Drop the volume as low as it will go before muting it so you can't hear their dumb streamer poo poo.
4. ???
5. Beta!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're lucky then you'll find a streamer who does what Disguised Toast did for LoR keys, just puts a previous stream on repeat for several days for people to leave in the background until they get a key.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Kazinsal posted:

If it works anything like the Legends of Runeterra beta, here's what you do:

1. Go into your account settings in Twitch and link your Riot account.
2. Put some streamer on in the background.
3. Drop the volume as low as it will go before muting it so you can't hear their dumb streamer poo poo.
4. ???
5. Beta!

seems like the way to go, I can only have the faint hope the ones I regularly watch are gonna play it + have the drop stuff enabled, but if not I'll do that lol

e: nevermind

quote:

For now, space is limited to players in Europe, Canada, United States, Turkey, Russia and CIS countries.

frajaq fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 30, 2020

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Warcraft 3 mod in cs1.6 loving ruled so abilities in a tactical shooter is fine imo

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Really surprised nobody seems to care about this game On the forums. It’s drop day on twitch for those trying to get into the beta.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Really surprised nobody seems to care about this game On the forums. It’s drop day on twitch for those trying to get into the beta.

It's hard to say too much about the game without a broad number of people getting access. Hoping I'll get a key, but it's a bit of a long shot. Game does look sick from what Twitch Rivals is showing off, at least.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

I care :smith:

Been watching n0thing's stream on my second monitor all day, he's doing breakdowns of other streamers' footage and the game is looking really good. Absolutely loving the combined setup and buy phase in freezetime. Haven't gotten a drop though.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Idling a stream for the slim chance of getting a key but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Reminds me of 1.6 more than CS:GO. Like it seems you can't jiggle peek or swing out super fast.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's hard to really talk in any detail about the game until some of us have at least played it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I got a beta key to my account! Now what

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I got a beta key to my account! Now what

Download the game from the site and log in with the Riot account linked to Twitch.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

poo poo, did we really only get one goon with an invite today?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got one :shrug: left a stream open for half an hour in the background

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I forgot about this completely, no beta key for me, RIP

I'm kind of meh toward the game anyway. Will probably give it a shot if it's F2P.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yay, we have more than one.

FrostyPox posted:

I'm kind of meh toward the game anyway. Will probably give it a shot if it's F2P.

It will be. Riot has said it'll be similar in its monetization to League, though they're still trying to figure out how they want to handle character skins, if they want to do them at all. Gun skins are gonna be the big thing, and no loot boxes so it won't be funded CS:GO style with underage gambling revenue.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Yay, we have more than one.

It will be. Riot has said it'll be similar in its monetization to League, though they're still trying to figure out how they want to handle character skins, if they want to do them at all. Gun skins are gonna be the big thing, and no loot boxes so it won't be funded CS:GO style with underage gambling revenue.

That's good. Worth a shot when it's released or goes into open beta, then

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
I also have a key for the 7th, pumped!

Are goons going to congregate in a specific discord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Kazinsal posted:

I find their reluctance about character skins to be a bit strange. CS:GO has something similar, right? Have characters/skins etc. made CS:GO harder to play before or something?