Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

To be fair, the game teaches you to not trigger rooms full of explosives, although there are some places where it's not clear if the room constitutes one of those. They really should have stuck something like a giant unmovable crate of dynamite at the center of the room to drive it home not to gently caress with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I think that whole segment was also meant to harken back to the tripwire room segment in Half-Life 1, where you'd also die if you set off even a single one of the explosives even if you were past the room already and in the basement below. Episode One also had a room like that, although in that case it wasn't scripted to kill you, rather Valve just put enough explosive barrels in the room that it was almost a certainty unless you were very fast and managed to leap into the waterlogged elevator just before the explosion.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Ruflux posted:

Episode One also had a room like that, although in that case it wasn't scripted to kill you, rather Valve just put enough explosive barrels in the room that it was almost a certainty unless you were very fast and managed to leap into the waterlogged elevator just before the explosion.

Leaping into the elevator is, in fact, my preferred way of solving that puzzle.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Rectus posted:

To be fair, the game teaches you to not trigger rooms full of explosives, although there are some places where it's not clear if the room constitutes one of those. They really should have stuck something like a giant unmovable crate of dynamite at the center of the room to drive it home not to gently caress with it.

I died an embarassing number of times there, because I couldn't figure out that the barnacle was setting off an explosive tank by biting it. That never happened in a previous game, I'm pretty sure? You had to ignite a barrel while it was being pulled up. Why would a barnacle ignite a barrel by biting it?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

smoobles posted:

I died an embarassing number of times there, because I couldn't figure out that the barnacle was setting off an explosive tank by biting it. That never happened in a previous game, I'm pretty sure? You had to ignite a barrel while it was being pulled up. Why would a barnacle ignite a barrel by biting it?

That part is ingeniously set up though, like drawing your attention to it, and giving you an "oh gently caress" moment when you are watching it and realize what is happening. I didn't catch on until just before it got set off the first time it happened, and couldn't do anything to stop it tin time.

I guess having knowledge on how the mechanic works in the previous games is detrimental here. The part new the beginning where you walk on the roof of a train car near the beginning seems to be set up to clue you in on the mechanic, although it's still not very obvious.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Rectus posted:

I guess having knowledge on how the mechanic works in the previous games is detrimental here. The part new the beginning where you walk on the roof of a train car near the beginning seems to be set up to clue you in on the mechanic, although it's still not very obvious.

The problem with that is that you have to stick around and let it bite the barrel, and not just shoot it to set it off like you would in HL2.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

smoobles posted:

I'm pretty sure the barnacle is extra-slow about it, giving you just enough time to go "oh wait, OH poo poo" and shoot it, even if technically it's breaking the established rules of how barnacles interact with explosive barrels from the previous games

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ruflux posted:

I'm pretty sure the barnacle is extra-slow about it, giving you just enough time to go "oh wait, OH poo poo" and shoot it, even if technically it's breaking the established rules of how barnacles interact with explosive barrels from the previous games

Ah, but Valve forgot to consider that I'm dumb

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

smoobles posted:

Ah, but Valve forgot to consider that I'm dumb

But are you as dumb as the playtester who always turned right in the antlion tunnels in Episode Two and kept going in a circle, which led to Valve making it far more linear?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yes, actually

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
Is Alyx really short? Not as in game duration - the height of the character.

Playing through the Northern Star level, I kept opening wall cupboards that felt strangely high and was unable to get to the top shelf in quite a lot of them. It's not like it's anywhere near gamebreaking but it just makes my brain fart because not being tall enough to reach things is not a problem I have. The scale of everything else seems about right and the ground is definitely on the floor.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Your height in game should be your actual height. I don’t remember any levels feeling off like that but if the floor feels like it’s the right distance then it’s how they made that level

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Your height in game should be your actual height.

It gets a little weird if you do couch VR like me and have to set up like you're flying around in a hoverchair or something.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
HLA might be the first VR game I ever finish. It's good. And I don't know what kinda voodoo magic optimization they did, but i get very little motion sickness with this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Look Gordon! Ropes!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

central dogma posted:

HLA might be the first VR game I ever finish. It's good. And I don't know what kinda voodoo magic optimization they did, but i get very little motion sickness with this.

Boneworks is the only other FPS I've spent a decent chunk of time in, and I've really struggled to get motivated to go back. It does more stuff than HLA but it all feels like a loose jumble in comparison, and my interest in its setting/story just gradually petered out. There is definitely an oddness to its movement feel that I could see putting people off, too, something I didn't generally get in Alyx.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Boneworks makes me barf and I consider myself pretty solid playing VR games. Alyx was the best locomotion I’ve ever seen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SabinBlitz posted:

. Alyx was the best locomotion I’ve ever seen.

Bwah! Have you only played two vr games ever?

Smooth locomotion feels like it was hacked in at the last second.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

For some reason Gorn has the only fluid motion that doesn't make me sick.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
For me it's not smooth locomotion that messes with me, it's smooth turning. Not sure why it's such a stark difference.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Smooth turning is absolutely no bueno even if you're used to smooth locomotion.

I don't feel anything at all while playing Boneworks but smooth turning makes me very uncomfortable.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Alyx probably had the best teleport locomotion I've ever used, maybe tied with Robo Recall. The sound design was way better than any other implementation and went along way towards giving me a sense of presence. I might try smooth locomotion on my next play through.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Smooth turning is absolutely no bueno even if you're used to smooth locomotion.

I don't feel anything at all while playing Boneworks but smooth turning makes me very uncomfortable.

It's weird how this is so much more subjective than I would've guessed. Turning feels a bit smoother in Boneworks but everything else feels weirdly off. Turning took a minute to get used to in Alyx but after that movement largely felt great. Just to me of course, but I can't imagine saying Boneworks feels great in comparison. :shrug:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Yeah, I've been streaming my Alyx gameplay just for friends I can't hang out with. I was looking back at the VODs and saw how jarring the snap turns are when you're not controlling them. I thought "I got used to smooth locomotion easy enough, why don't I try smooth turning?" I noped out after about 15 seconds.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The problem with 99% of smooth turning implementations is that they are god awful slow, thinking that going fast is what causes the problem.
This is actually the opposite, as going slow enough to be able to visually see the moving world causes your brain to try to identify what is going on with your orientation and why your body doesn’t feel movement. Slow smooth turn is essentially a static rotation and this is no good.
Try something like contractors or virtual battlegrounds and crank the turning speed to near max, you will turn extremely fast like in a console FPS using a game pad and your brain just skips processing the fragment of info when you turn the amount you want. This dynamic turning allows you to easily turn just the amount you want in small bursts and is closer to what your brain processes when looking around irl.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Alyx probably had the best teleport locomotion I've ever used, maybe tied with Robo Recall. The sound design was way better than any other implementation and went along way towards giving me a sense of presence. I might try smooth locomotion on my next play through.

Agreed. Honestly I think it was a combination of all their systems that gave the feeling of it being the best experience (imo) yet. No one thing was so mind blowingly good that it made everything else not matter, it was that they all did very well in their own categories and that's what brought it to such a high level.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SabinBlitz posted:

Boneworks makes me barf and I consider myself pretty solid playing VR games. Alyx was the best locomotion I’ve ever seen.

Alyx is ok, but best locomotion? That just says you haven’t really played much. Try something like Lone Echo, or Budget Cuts, or Tea for God. Or Stormlands.

There’s a lot better or more interesting, is my point. However, the Grabbity Gloves are the best full stop.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Alyx is ok, but best locomotion? That just says you haven’t really played much. Try something like Lone Echo, or Budget Cuts, or Tea for God. Or Stormlands.

There’s a lot better or more interesting, is my point. However, the Grabbity Gloves are the best full stop.

Budget cuts and tea for god both require room space though, which I think makes the comparison apples to oranges.

I personally am excited to try Lone Echo and Stormlands but am apprehensive due to having to run it with revive on my aging i5 6600k.

I will say it’s interesting that I never got sick in Alyx, but other games that support teleportation have still been a mixed bag for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love the option to have smooth movement and teleport at the same time.

I used smooth movement 99% of the time and then teleport to get through small spaces.

Every game needs to copy that scheme

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I love the option to have smooth movement and teleport at the same time.

I used smooth movement 99% of the time and then teleport to get through small spaces.

Every game needs to copy that scheme

Personally I'd rather the game make me actually crouch.

Alyx forcing me to teleport through places I should've been able to crawl though was really annoying.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Brownie posted:

Budget cuts and tea for god both require room space though, which I think makes the comparison apples to oranges.

I personally am excited to try Lone Echo and Stormlands but am apprehensive due to having to run it with revive on my aging i5 6600k.

I will say it’s interesting that I never got sick in Alyx, but other games that support teleportation have still been a mixed bag for me.

I can't speak to Stormlands but Lone Echo won't give you any problems with that processor.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Personally I'd rather people who have difficulty crouching suck it up than me choosing not to.

FTFY

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"Choosing" implies options. There's no option to not teleport through crawling spaces in this game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Personally I'd rather the game make me actually crouch.

Alyx forcing me to teleport through places I should've been able to crawl though was really annoying.

Yeah but you’re the outlier there. Not everyone can do that for space reasons, physical reasons, or (in my case) laziness reasons.

E: just saw your last post. Yes, a checkbox for crouch type would have been better

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Some of the forced teleporting and "hold button to traverse obstacle" bits feel like artifacts of the early VR era, like their next big game will probably work out a better solution.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jack Trades posted:

"Choosing" implies options. There's no option to not teleport through crawling spaces in this game.

I played the game seated with smooth locomotion and I think the only forced teleports were for "jumps", maybe you just didn't get low enough. I had to go lower than a crouch, into prone, to be able to crawl through a lot of spaces.

I did think it was weird that you could teleport through tiny holes in a window without breaking it, kinda broke the reality of the game since you weren't supposed to actually be using a teleporter.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Can their next big game be Portal VR tho

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SlipkPIe posted:

Can their next big game be Portal VR tho

I almost threw up just from imagining this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Portal 3 but it's just you watching JK Simmons reading really good dialogue, in 3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hello go-