Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

BobbyDrake posted:

Due to working from home, I’m building myself a desk. Nothing fancy, it’s literally made of construction 2x4s, 2x6s and 2x2s. I’m staining it with minwax oil based stain. I’ve laid the rags I used out flat to dry so they didn’t spontaneously combust. Now that they are dry and stiff, is there still a combustion danger?

I’ll post pictures once I put the poly on, just don’t expect anything great, it’s the first major thing I’ve ever built and there are plenty of flaws in it.

Nope, now that they're dry you can just throw them out. The problem is that when hardening oils dry, they release heat, so if they're bundled up, they can self-combust. They're still probably more flammable than a clean rag, but totally safe for the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Please post pics when done, a minwax stained construction wood project is a rite of passage for new woodworkers.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Speaking of homebuilt desks, I haven't started mine yet. But I did put this together. There are some changes I already want to make but sketchup is not exactly the most user friendly interface for some of this stuff. (What you do you mean the maximum offset is 0??)

Dark brown is plywood, pink-ish color is 2x4, blue is 2x6. The grey things on the bottom are metal table stiffeners, which serve a secondary purpose of holding the side section on to the primary part. Because I might have to move this some day the two sections are built separately and just stuck together to form the L shape. As it's designed right now it's not reversible, but I could make it so with relatively few changes I think.

Ok, so. Questions. The monitor shelf is held up by four sections of 3/4" plywood. Are those sufficient or should I make the outer supports more robust? Secondly, where the primary section and the side section meet, should I stabilize the corner of the side section somehow beyond just the stiffeners? It's otherwise just sort of floating there unsupported and I feel like that might be a bad idea. Some sort of angle brace?

I also realized that I don't need full thickness plywood around the edges, so the skirting will probably be done with 3/8" or 1/4" plywood instead of the pictured 3/4".

Is there anything else that is glaringly obvious that I'm missing? Should I finish it with Minwax?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BobbyDrake posted:

Due to working from home, I’m building myself a desk. Nothing fancy, it’s literally made of construction 2x4s, 2x6s and 2x2s. I’m staining it with minwax oil based stain. I’ve laid the rags I used out flat to dry so they didn’t spontaneously combust. Now that they are dry and stiff, is there still a combustion danger?

Not much danger even when they're soaked with solvent except in the heat of summer. But, due process is a good thing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BobbyDrake posted:

I’ll post pictures once I put the poly on, just don’t expect anything great, it’s the first major thing I’ve ever built and there are plenty of flaws in it.
What more falafel please said is absolutely correct and you should treat all oily rags as if they can self-combust. If you don't have space to spread them out, you can also put them in a tightly sealed glass/metal container. If they don't get oxygen, they don't oxidize and if they don't oxidize they don't heat up.

It's funny this should come up because today I learned that Minwax oil stain doesn't actually have drying oils in it, so the rags shouldn't self-combust in any case (but pretend they will).

Olothreutes posted:

Speaking of homebuilt desks, I haven't started mine yet. But I did put this together. There are some changes I already want to make but sketchup is not exactly the most user friendly interface for some of this stuff. (What you do you mean the maximum offset is 0??)

Dark brown is plywood, pink-ish color is 2x4, blue is 2x6. The grey things on the bottom are metal table stiffeners, which serve a secondary purpose of holding the side section on to the primary part. Because I might have to move this some day the two sections are built separately and just stuck together to form the L shape. As it's designed right now it's not reversible, but I could make it so with relatively few changes I think.

Ok, so. Questions. The monitor shelf is held up by four sections of 3/4" plywood. Are those sufficient or should I make the outer supports more robust? Secondly, where the primary section and the side section meet, should I stabilize the corner of the side section somehow beyond just the stiffeners? It's otherwise just sort of floating there unsupported and I feel like that might be a bad idea. Some sort of angle brace?

I also realized that I don't need full thickness plywood around the edges, so the skirting will probably be done with 3/8" or 1/4" plywood instead of the pictured 3/4".

Is there anything else that is glaringly obvious that I'm missing? Should I finish it with Minwax?
You don't need the 2x6 at the bottom unless it is because you like the look in which case great. I you do want to have it I would have the 2x4 legs go to the floor and use the 2x6 to fill in between them. Resting the 2x4 on top of the 2x6 seems precarious and unless they are very well attached, accidentally kicking the 2x6 seems like it might make the whole desk come tumbling down.

The monitor stand is fine, but attaching thin plywood to it all (or put triangular plywood gussets on the corners if you want it more open) from the back would make it much stronger/prevent racking. You could use 2x4s on flat instead of whatever metal braces you have drawn and I think it would be plenty strong and probably cheaper. I would move the braces/2x4 to the edge of the plywood to support the corner you are worried about. Might not look as clean, but it will keep that bit of ply from flopping around. I would consider adding a piece of plywood to the end cap on the right side like you have drawn on the left. It will make it much stronger. What you have drawn is fine though, and all these suggestions (except maybe taking it off the 2x6) are very much optional and will just make a strong thing even stronger for not much more work/materials.

If this is babby's first woodworking project, minwax and polyurethane are mandatory.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's funny this should come up because today I learned that Minwax oil stain doesn't actually have drying oils in it, so the rags shouldn't self-combust in any case (but pretend they will).

Oh, interesting. Well, overkill then, I guess. I just lay out my rags for anything that offgases a bunch of VOCs (or BLO). My shop has a concrete basement floor and I do most of my finishing outside, so I just lay them out on the concrete and toss them the next day.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’m in the middle of sanding/brushing down a Bailey No4 plane

What should I use for finish on the wooden parts?

Also any good links on sharpening a blade would be rad

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

BobbyDrake posted:

The heat occurs during polymerization. Stiff is good.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Hi woodworking thread, I could use some help. I've been restoring our Windsor chair that broke in the early part of the lockdown period. Bad timing because I won't have access to the tools I need for any complex repairs for months.

One of the support rungs broke off in the socket of the leg after the previous "restorer" from whom we bought it decided to drive multiple nails through the joint

If anyone is willing to take on a small job drilling out the broken end and putting in a new peg I could use a hand

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Pepperoneedy posted:

Hi woodworking thread, I could use some help. I've been restoring our Windsor chair that broke in the early part of the lockdown period. Bad timing because I won't have access to the tools I need for any complex repairs for months.

One of the support rungs broke off in the socket of the leg after the previous "restorer" from whom we bought it decided to drive multiple nails through the joint

If anyone is willing to take on a small job drilling out the broken end and putting in a new peg I could use a hand

With a peg that size, it wouldn’t leave much thickness of the walls for it yo be stable. Maybe worth having someone lathe down a few replacements.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Hasselblad posted:

With a peg that size, it wouldn’t leave much thickness of the walls for it yo be stable. Maybe worth having someone lathe down a few replacements.

That would be my vote too.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hasselblad posted:

Or just whittle all the existing rungs down to the new, slightly narrower size. It may put a bit more of a pinch on the joints, ymmv, etc, hth,

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pepperoneedy posted:

Once a chair is broken, it will always be a broken chair, and should be treated as such. It might be a repaired broken chair, but it's still a broken chair and much much more likely to break again. If/when you do get it fixed, treat it gently and stick it in the corner and only let people you don't like very much sit in it.

As others have said, you will do much better getting a whole new spindle turned-adding a dowel on doesn't usually work out very well on small stuff.

IDK where you are, but there is almost certainly a small custom woodworker/turner/refinisher that should be able to make the part.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What you can do is use a smaller dowel of a diameter that is reasonable for the diameter of the support: and, fill in the hole in the leg completely with a filler part and then drill a hole into the fill the size of the dowel. This will allow you to not have to use a dowel nearly the same width as the support rung. Something like half the diameter would let you drill it reasonably straight and true, but you need to drill very carefully to avoid splitting the rung.

However like Schnitzel said, this repair is mostly cosmetic. It'll hold itself together but it won't be as strong as the original fit. It's also critical to clean off any old glue in the joint, make sure all pieces fit snugly together, glue with real wood glue, and clamp the whole affair during glue-up. That last bit can be really challenging depending on the angle of the parts, it can be quite difficult to properly clamp weird angles and sloped pieces together without making cauls, using strap clamps, etc.

I agree with the others that replacing the support is better, but if you don't own a lathe, turning replacement supports is really hard, and then you also want to match that stain and finish... probably all the effort isn't worth it.

I've done repairs like this, sometimes they hold together and sometimes... they just refuse to, no matter what.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I made a pair of little speaker boxes for my car.

Initial drawing:

Cut out a 150x800 mm size of cheap 6 mm plywood I'd had around for a year or two without using.
The main cut was made with a guided circular saw, the individual pieces cut freehand on my tabletop bandsaw. The fence on my bandsaw is broken, I'd have used that if I could. At least the miter gauge was still working so I could get the 20 degree angle cut reliably.

Cutting out the hole for the speaker units themselves was a pain. Did it by hand with a coping saw , and filed to adjust. It took many tries to get it right.

Began gluing on some scraps to hold it all together. First semi-dry fitting.

Almost assembled!

And it all fits. Both units. There's some rough edges, I can take those with a sander.

Needs to be painted.

And, all installed and working. Sound is still very mediocre, but there's more of it.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll see what I can manage vis-a-vis a new spindle. Unfortunately it's the most comfortable chair wooden chair I have ever found so I'm going to make sure it's repaired right.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You don't need the 2x6 at the bottom unless it is because you like the look in which case great. I you do want to have it I would have the 2x4 legs go to the floor and use the 2x6 to fill in between them. Resting the 2x4 on top of the 2x6 seems precarious and unless they are very well attached, accidentally kicking the 2x6 seems like it might make the whole desk come tumbling down.

The monitor stand is fine, but attaching thin plywood to it all (or put triangular plywood gussets on the corners if you want it more open) from the back would make it much stronger/prevent racking. You could use 2x4s on flat instead of whatever metal braces you have drawn and I think it would be plenty strong and probably cheaper. I would move the braces/2x4 to the edge of the plywood to support the corner you are worried about. Might not look as clean, but it will keep that bit of ply from flopping around. I would consider adding a piece of plywood to the end cap on the right side like you have drawn on the left. It will make it much stronger. What you have drawn is fine though, and all these suggestions (except maybe taking it off the 2x6) are very much optional and will just make a strong thing even stronger for not much more work/materials.

If this is babby's first woodworking project, minwax and polyurethane are mandatory.

Ok, adjustments made to the legs/bottom parts, and some reinforcements for the primary section and the monitor stand. I didn't bother to change the metal stiffeners but it's easy enough to just use wood in the final build. I'm not certain this counts as my first project, I've built things before, frequently overbuilt stuff because I suffer from engineer brain. I made a cat tree like 13 years ago that would support at least 200 pounds of cats. I've refinished coffee tables, etc. This would probably be my first bit of actually nice human scale furniture from scratch though.

So mission creep has kicked in, and maybe I'm looking for too much here. On the secondary side there's a big slab of 3/4" ply, same as the desk surfaces. Ideally I'd like to find some sort of hinge solution so I could swing that up and turn the secondary section from a 2'x4' desk to a 4'x4' table for board games or something. It would need to have hinged legs for sure, I don't think I could find a bracing solution that would work for that. I'm also not sure how to find hinges for an application like that, ideally the panel would sit flush under the top of the desk when vertical (as pictured) and form a nearly seamless table when horizontal. I guess this would be some sort of heavy duty surface mount inset hinge? Looking for something like that has not been particularly fruitful. I could always just not do this because it's overly complex, or just settle for an offset and use less mysterious hinges.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That is venturing into a full-blown workbench, not that there's nothing wrong with that.

Don't envy you on moving day though.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

That is venturing into a full-blown workbench, not that there's nothing wrong with that.

I just bought a house and started a new job, so it's going to be here for a long time. And if I get moved for work they pay for movers, so I don't mind.

When do I just say gently caress it and laminate a bunch of lumber together for the top instead of using plywood? Is that after I figure out the hinges?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Wasabi the J posted:

That's why we buy reciprocating saws

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've been aware of MESDA for a while but never really explored their collections online, and it's pretty amazing what all they have in their database and the detail of the photos/construction information. Much more useful than half the glossy $100 museum catalog books I have, and completely free. The search function isn't great, but there's a ton of great stuff in there. https://mesda.org/collection/object/

I'd seen this chair in the excellent 'Southern Furniture 1680-1830' from the Colonial Williamsburg collection:

I sort of fell in love with the lines-from the seat up it could just about be art-deco- and wanted to explore the style more. It was apparently a fairly common design in/around Petersburg, VA and SE Virginia/NE NC in the late 18th C. Useful as that picture was, it was just one angle, but turns out MESDA has great photos of tons of them with shots from many helpful angles:
https://mesda.org/item/collections/side-chairs/1319/
https://mesda.org/item/object/chair/274/

Before I'd discovered the MESDA tresure trove, I drew it from the original picture as best I could full scale:

That picture I was working from really didn't capture that the back legs are splayed inwards like most of these:

So it's back to the drawing board on that. I think the leg splay will help get the lines of the rear styles better, but they sure do make the construction more complicated as it requires either a compound angled mortise or a compound angled tenon. I've only built 2 chairs and they were fairly simple, so this is going to be a new challenge. Most of the originals seem to be walnut, mahogany, or occasionally cherry. I'm going to go with cherry because it's cheap atm and I like it, and maybe I'll even learn to build up/upholster the slip seat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a diamond grinder for carbide and just on a lark I decided to try and hone one of my wood lathe tools on it and holy hell how it cut after that. Never had any tool cut like that when turning wood.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've been aware of MESDA for a while but never really explored their collections online, and it's pretty amazing what all they have in their database and the detail of the photos/construction information. Much more useful than half the glossy $100 museum catalog books I have, and completely free. The search function isn't great, but there's a ton of great stuff in there. https://mesda.org/collection/object/

Thanks for sharing this, it's tough finding good pics of period furniture. Between the descriptions and the pictures, it's almost like a manual on how to build the piece...at least for the few pieces I've looked at so far.

Meow Meow Meow fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 27, 2020

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
Nearly finished with my office project. This second half is all metal work but I will be building a wood wall cabinet to store my router, cable modem, and NAS, and the UPS that runs that stuff:

asmasm fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 27, 2020

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a diamond grinder for carbide and just on a lark I decided to try and hone one of my wood lathe tools on it and holy hell how it cut after that. Never had any tool cut like that when turning wood.

What are your lathe tools made out of? High speed steel really benefits from diamond.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

asmasm posted:

Nearly finished with my office project. This second half is all metal work but I will be building a wood wall cabinet to store my router, cable modem, and NAS, and the UPS that runs that stuff:

Don't use Windex on your display. Use rubbing alcohol or a dedicated screen cleaner.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The junk collector posted:

What are your lathe tools made out of? High speed steel really benefits from diamond.

Yeah they're high speed steel, the grinder is meant for honing carbide for metal working but I figured I'd see what happened if I touched it up real quick.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yeah a lot of people keep a little credit card diamond stone to polish up the edge after it comes off the grinder, especially with a skew.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

JEEVES420 posted:

Don't use Windex on your display. Use rubbing alcohol or a dedicated screen cleaner.

I don't use windex, that's just a lazy wipe down with water that dried. The display is ~7 years old at this point and needs a real cleaning.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

asmasm posted:

Nice silverface. Adds instant cool.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

The desk is done!

I’m actually pretty proud of it. This is the first thing I’ve built since I was probably 8 years old. It’s not perfect and there’s plenty wrong with it(badly sanded, pigtails all over) but there’s no wobble and it’s level. I forgot to take a picture before I put my work equipment on it, but here’s the pic I took:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Congrats! That thing looks like it'll still be going strong in sixty years.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I kind of forgot this subforum exists, so crossposting:

Suntan Boy posted:

My car keys kind of disintegrated after 8 years. Honda can go gently caress itself with its $200 proprietary bullshit, and I needed a quarantine project anyway. Gathered up some red oak scraps I had laying around, and managed to kill most of 2 days.

It's definitely not perfect, but is a hell of a lot better than trying to hold the transmitter close enough while turning a little nub of a metal key shaft. I kind of want to do the other one as an out the front spring loaded deal, but I've got to find some tiny springs and screws, first.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

whoa that's a great idea I never even considered. my keys always break the little plastic ring that holds them to the keyring.

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
Anybody have an experience removing black circular watermarks from a veneer? I was hoping they would come off when i removed the finish but no dice. Im a bit nervous about trying to sand it down and going through the veneer.

You can see the marks here before i removed the finish.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Vessel From Denny posted:

Anybody have an experience removing black circular watermarks from a veneer? I was hoping they would come off when i removed the finish but no dice. Im a bit nervous about trying to sand it down and going through the veneer.

Make a paste out of Bartender's Friend, apply to the effected area, scrape off when dry. May require a few applications. Note that the bleaching effect varies from surface to surface, so you eventually might want to apply it to the whole face for blending purposes.

Ghostnuke posted:

whoa that's a great idea I never even considered. my keys always break the little plastic ring that holds them to the keyring.

Thanks! The keyring point was kind of an afterthought. I wish I'd thought to leave more room for it on the back side, to reduce the chance of it tearing out. As is, I'll soak the interior of that little hole with thin CA, and hope that stabilizes it enough. The rest of it has worked out better than I'd hoped.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 28, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Vessel From Denny posted:

If the stain was from rust/iron in water, this stuff works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Whink-1081-1281-Stain-Remover/dp/B000LNQNM0?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
It's kind of nasty (hydrofluoric acid or something?) and wear gloves etc. It works wonders on anything caused by rust or stained by the iron/tannin reaction that stains wood black. It doesn't take much, and test it first on the back or something to make sure it doesn't gently caress up the color.

If it's caused by some kind of ink or dye or something, household bleach might work, but it may also strip the color out of the furniture. It doesn't actually bleach the wood itself, but it may bleach whatever dye/stain was put on it. If you're refinishing it anyway, that might not matter. I've never tried barkeeper's friend as suggested above, but I'd bet it is the bleach that's doing the work there.

How bad do they look after you stripped the finish? Sometimes after stain/refinishing stuff like that will be much less obvious than before the piece is stripped. You might put a little water on it to see how it will look under finish.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Whink-1081-1281-Stain-Remover/dp/B000LNQNM0?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
It's kind of nasty (hydrofluoric acid or something?) and wear gloves etc. It works wonders on anything caused by rust or stained by the iron/tannin reaction that stains wood black. It doesn't take much, and test it first on the back or something to make sure it doesn't gently caress up the color.

If it's caused by some kind of ink or dye or something, household bleach might work, but it may also strip the color out of the furniture. It doesn't actually bleach the wood itself, but it may bleach whatever dye/stain was put on it. If you're refinishing it anyway, that might not matter. I've never tried barkeeper's friend as suggested above, but I'd bet it is the bleach that's doing the work there.

How bad do they look after you stripped the finish? Sometimes after stain/refinishing stuff like that will be much less obvious than before the piece is stripped. You might put a little water on it to see how it will look under finish.

:dogbutton:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

IMO it ought to be illegal to sell hydrofluoric acid to consumers. It's nicknamed "bone-seeking acid" for a reason. I'd sooner throw out that furniture than resort to it.

Strongly recommend using any other product preferentially. If you do use this stuff, you must take extreme precautions to ensure it never has any chance of getting on anyone's skin, and also be very careful about ventilation; and don't store it anywhere where it could someday accidentally be spilled, or be accessed by anyone including adults who might not fully understand and respect the dangers of HF.

If you check wikipedia for "hydrofluoric acid burn" you'll get some gruesome photos and some more info. Also do feel free to ask about it in the dangerous chemistry thread where it comes up rather frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
All done the jewelry cabinet. Very very happy with how it turned out.