Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I was genuinely unsure what day it was when I woke up this morning around midday, truly a golden age for lazy fat shites like myself. If it wasn't for the thousands of untimely deaths, Job/Housing strife and the fisting of the economy it would be a truly refreshing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Turns out only thing that was keeping me from spiraling into a full-blown depression again was regular commute&work, social functions and partying until I'm mentally numb.

Now that it's all gone, my mind is crashing hard :smith:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have you considered having a good clap each thursday

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Galewolf posted:

Turns out only thing that was keeping me from spiraling into a full-blown depression again was regular commute&work, social functions and partying until I'm mentally numb.

Now that it's all gone, my mind is crashing hard :smith:

Get into warhammer and paint tiny plastic army men 16 hours a day

Also take up running

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do not take up running. you'll be like every loving other schlubby 30something dude mincing down the street and blundering into everyone's 2m radii

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

We were walking with my gf a month ago (I was doing c25k while she was talking on the phone) but the number of people and the lack of proper distancing kinda freaked us out. We had a walk at the same park yesterday to keep our sanity after that and it was pretty much the same. People running towards you and expecting other people to adjust or simply running/riding bicycles too close and not giving a gently caress.

We saw like 10 teenagers playing football, people doing yoga and even brining some portable equipment like rubber bands. Idk man, the idea of running and physical activity is good but still feels a bit risky compared to suburbs or countryside.

I have some open space in form of enclosed open top garden and the rooftop is quite wide and flat for bodyweight or some kettlebell/dumbbell action but I got tangled up in "feel poo poo about being inactive/stress eat/feel poo poo about stress eating/stress eat to feel less poo poo about stress eating" cycle now.

My sex drive is like so low that it's next to dinosaur bones, can't concentrate enough to read, can't properly work despite having actual stuff waiting to be done...The visa extension along with end of year accounts is also up in my rear end.

I know it's like heaven compared to an underpaid NHS nurse trying to hold it together or essential workers but it's my hell right now and I don't have much to cope with it when combined with my existing anxiety problems.

Well, at least I have cooking and a backlog of GoG games to pass the time when I'm not midday "napping" for 4 hours and waking up dizzy and confused.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
That sounds tough. I'm running daily (25 days and counting, though even before this i averaged about 25 days a month or more) and distancing pretty well, drivers are pretty understanding when runners veer into the road to avoid pedestrians, and on those occasions I'm forced into someone's bubble the time spent there is extremely brief and the hazard probably pales in comparison to visiting a supermarket. I'm very fortunate to live in a suburb/absorbed village on the edge of the city, i can hit legit countryside within a mile or two and I'm rapidly learning which paths are largely empty and which are chokablok, and when.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

do not take up running. you'll be like every loving other schlubby 30something dude mincing down the street and blundering into everyone's 2m radii

It is fun to try to spot the new runners versus those who were regulars back in the real world. I think a lot of the established runners like to wear old race finisher shirts to prove we didn't just take it up 3 weeks ago to be allowed out of the house

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah the "perceived" danger is much more than actual one when it comes to going to a bigass park and running. Before this, I weaved sports to my social life which was working fine-ish, you know, go to kendo practice 3 times a week after work, go to the nearby Energie Fitness for some weightlifting during the odd days but now that I just sit at home and worry about everything until I'm paralyzed and the day is over.

Things are a bit shaky (or on the way to be shaky) as well with the gf which isn't helping.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's very hard to pivot to considering "staying at home and doing gently caress all" as a productive and worthwhile day.

I'd say that you should consider a couple of fun home-things you want to pick up (e.g. learn how to use a dogital audio workstation, learn to paint, learn to cook X), try and plan several into each day a couple days in advance, and consider it a success if you manage to take positive steps on any of them. every three days or so you can plan out the next handful - drop stuff that's not worked, introduce new stuff. this can include trying new games.

If anxiety is a concern, maybe don't pick a timeslot for exercise; pick criteria, e.g. if i haven't gotten engaged in Y by lunchtime, do leg day. turn it into a self-negotiation rather than an ultimatum, and pick low goals.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i dunno though I'm just failing to work and playing slay the spire a lot

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

birmingham is a real nightmare at the moment. everyone has loving taken up running and every street is an obstacle course of panting losers breathing their germ particles all over. no one seems to be taking social distancing or the lockdown seriously.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i dunno though I'm just failing to work and playing slay the spire a lot

It's all cool, I'll try to read your post and give it a go when I'm not stuffing my face with 1.30 a.m. toasts, appreciate it all. :unsmith:

Re: Birmingham

I was there back in October for the UK Build Expo in NEC and went to the Broad Street after first day, it was nice and less rowdy than it's second-hand reputation due to being Tuesday maybe. I can imagine walking outside being a challenge, my hotel was near to the bus station and whenever I wanted to walk from Bullring the sidewalk was really not wide and I had to jaywalk to walk past people.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I think it's just that more people than you would really like to imagine have very little common sense and, thanks to government messaging having been fantastically vague and ambivalent, have been left to interpet for themselves a new set of rules for how to go about daily life. I've noticed a family on my street who go out at the same time every day in exercise gear and come back a couple of hours later, always with bags of shopping. So they've evidently taken "you may go out once a day to exercise or for essential shopping" to mean that they should go out every day for exercise and to do grocery shopping which is probably much more going out than they would be doing if it was just the school holidays or whatever

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also, speaking of, Peaky Blinders 5th season is on Netflix so it's time to get my Brummie accent on :getin:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
maybe watch something more upbeat?

The boxed set of 'Miranda' is on iPlayer.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Miranda is Mrs Brown's Boys for middle class people imo

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Galewolf posted:

It's all cool, I'll try to read your post and give it a go when I'm not stuffing my face with 1.30 a.m. toasts, appreciate it all. :unsmith:

Re: Birmingham

I'm the same as you, I think there are a lot of us in that boat. I've got work that can be done from home but am really struggling to get my head in the game to do it.

I've been writing a to do list each morning with a mix of work/non work things on it, and congratulating myself soundly each time I tick any of them off (even the enjoyable activities). That helps.

Edit: I tried to bake cupcakes yesterday, failed, and had some sort of breakdown. That was fun.

Roblo fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 26, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pistol_Pete posted:

B&Q is making you queue to go on their fricking website :argh:

So dumb isn’t it. I did 2 pickup orders from them in the weeks before they started that bullshit, no more.

Apparently they’ve now opened about half their stores though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

birmingham is a real nightmare at the moment. everyone has loving taken up running and every street is an obstacle course of panting losers breathing their germ particles all over. no one seems to be taking social distancing or the lockdown seriously.

Wha? Where are you, it’s been absolutely fine where I am.

I don’t blame anyone for running, a lot of people are essentially in prison right now, and need to get the max exercise in their hour out. It should be easy to a reasonable distance though - but things like the canals are a problem - just not wide enough.

I assume you’re wearing a mask constantly if you’re that worried about it?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Periodic reminder that for every week you stay inside you save 18 lives, so on that day you sat on the sofa eating crisps you saved two lives.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

learnincurve posted:

Periodic reminder that for every week you stay inside you save 18 lives, so on that day you sat on the sofa eating crisps you saved two lives.

Plus, if you live in Birmingham, you can pretend that you actually dont

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Galewolf posted:

We were walking with my gf a month ago (I was doing c25k while she was talking on the phone) but the number of people and the lack of proper distancing kinda freaked us out. We had a walk at the same park yesterday to keep our sanity after that and it was pretty much the same. People running towards you and expecting other people to adjust or simply running/riding bicycles too close and not giving a gently caress.

We saw like 10 teenagers playing football, people doing yoga and even brining some portable equipment like rubber bands. Idk man, the idea of running and physical activity is good but still feels a bit risky compared to suburbs or countryside.

I have some open space in form of enclosed open top garden and the rooftop is quite wide and flat for bodyweight or some kettlebell/dumbbell action but I got tangled up in "feel poo poo about being inactive/stress eat/feel poo poo about stress eating/stress eat to feel less poo poo about stress eating" cycle now.

My sex drive is like so low that it's next to dinosaur bones, can't concentrate enough to read, can't properly work despite having actual stuff waiting to be done...The visa extension along with end of year accounts is also up in my rear end.

I know it's like heaven compared to an underpaid NHS nurse trying to hold it together or essential workers but it's my hell right now and I don't have much to cope with it when combined with my existing anxiety problems.

Well, at least I have cooking and a backlog of GoG games to pass the time when I'm not midday "napping" for 4 hours and waking up dizzy and confused.

1. Get some structure in your day. Plan a routine, make sure you do your work, sign up to volunteer if you have time (can be based from home), don't play video games all day. It's really not good for you. You need regularity.
2. Some people don't have the luxuries of private outdoor spaces, so yoga in the park might be their only option. Try not to judge them too much if they are spacing themselves sensibly, reserve that hate for the idiots playing footy.
3. Plan meals/diet plans.

Easier said than done, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've been doing DDP Yoga most days since this started.
If you have enough room to lie down with your arms stretched out like you're T-posing, you have enough room to do it.
The shorter ones fit nicely into my 'lunch break' on weekdays when I'm working and loosen me up from hunching over a tiny thinkpad all day. The hour ones will kick your arse.
It's not the same sort of calorie shed as say running would be but you definitely work up a sweat, you can feel a measurable difference as you stick with it and unlike running it doesn't set off my asthma.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

My other half does her yoga in the garden every day, and I sit eating crisps and playing Switch next to her

Its exhausting

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
consider a bicycle, at least that way you can use the roads and can travel further to get away from the crowds. the urban area of london is pretty big to escape completely but presumably the commercial areas are pretty quiet now.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I think I'm lucky in that we're being made to work from home, so I'm still working 9-5 but from my own house.

Wife is a paramedic working shifts (mostly nights) and we have a 10m baby. The local nurseries have all closed bar one, who are accepting children of key workers, so we managed to get in there.

I think I'm finding the whole thing easier than a lot of other people because of this. My suggestion to those struggling (I'm not a professional!): maybe some structure would help, and you can finally start that project you've wanted to do but never had the time. Treat that projet as 9-5 and make sure you're getting up at a reasonable time each morning, and going to bed at an acceptable time each evening.

Ideas:
Baking and cooking
Learn a new language
Paint/draw
Learn 3D modeling with Blender (free)
Sew/knit
Make YouTube videos
Learn to make a video game
Buy a course on Udemy and learn something new
Decorate your place if you've been meaning to
Build/up-cycle something
Try linux (if nerdy and interested)
Dig out that thing you bought a year ago and never used and actually use it
Declutter your home (we've been doing this and it feels so good!)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cloner of the Elks posted:

I think I'm lucky in that we're being made to work from home, so I'm still working 9-5 but from my own house.

Wife is a paramedic working shifts (mostly nights) and we have a 10m baby. The local nurseries have all closed bar one, who are accepting children of key workers, so we managed to get in there.

I think I'm finding the whole thing easier than a lot of other people because of this. My suggestion to those struggling (I'm not a professional!): maybe some structure would help, and you can finally start that project you've wanted to do but never had the time. Treat that projet as 9-5 and make sure you're getting up at a reasonable time each morning, and going to bed at an acceptable time each evening.

Ideas:
Baking and cooking
Learn a new language
Paint/draw
Sew/knit
Make YouTube videos
Build/up-cycle something

Where does masturbating fit into this?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I regularly ran with a pushchair in The Before Times so I'm very familiar with the doziness of the average pedestrian, especially in groups. My favourites are the ones walking three abreast across the whole pavement who look, register that you're coming towards them, then seem to forget about you in the next 15 seconds and seem surprised when you ask them to let you past.

I've managed to adapt most of my run routes so they're on wide pavements where I can see people from a distance and move into the road if needed, but it feels like there's a lot more foot traffic at the moment.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

MarcusSA posted:

You could do that 9-5 too i guess

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Ideas:
Baking and cooking
Learn a new language
Paint/draw
Sew/knit
Make YouTube videos
Build/up-cycle something

10 metre baby, or 10 mile baby?

Not that either isn't impressive

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

You could do that 9-5 too i guess

Not after the first 3 days.

Trust me on this.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

that's the working from home bit, op

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

urban_social_distancing.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/DRIAMTV.mp4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Haha! That’s amazing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NonzeroCircle posted:

I've been doing DDP Yoga most days since this started.
If you have enough room to lie down with your arms stretched out like you're T-posing, you have enough room to do it.
The shorter ones fit nicely into my 'lunch break' on weekdays when I'm working and loosen me up from hunching over a tiny thinkpad all day. The hour ones will kick your arse.
It's not the same sort of calorie shed as say running would be but you definitely work up a sweat, you can feel a measurable difference as you stick with it and unlike running it doesn't set off my asthma.

i have sourced this i'm going to start tomorrow

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Day 26 of my daily running streak wahey. Nursing my hangover/junkfood hangover with lots of fluids and healthy soups

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Jose posted:

i have sourced this i'm going to start tomorrow

Awesome! I like Dallas Page's approach, he's far more encouraging and personable than you'd expect from a pro wrestler yelling about yoga, and it does cater for most skill/flexibility ranges which is nice.
Personally I sort of pick and choose through the program guide depending on time/motivation, the "Energy" and "Fat Burner" are probably the two I do most often as they're easier to fit into the middle of my working day, but I get a genuine sense of accomplishment for doing the full one hour "Diamond Cutter" workout without dying or falling on my face.
The 10 count pushup at the end of that one is probably the most punishing thing in the lot.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Galewolf posted:

Yeah the "perceived" danger is much more than actual one when it comes to going to a bigass park and running. Before this, I weaved sports to my social life which was working fine-ish, you know, go to kendo practice 3 times a week after work, go to the nearby Energie Fitness for some weightlifting during the odd days but now that I just sit at home and worry about everything until I'm paralyzed and the day is over.

Things are a bit shaky (or on the way to be shaky) as well with the gf which isn't helping.

From someone who has had depression and anxiety before, i would recommend cardio in an activity you can really get into. It just takes the edge off like nothing else does(sitting indoors with some activity did not help). For me biking does it, in normal times im out 2-3 times a week depending on the weather - right now im out everyday. If you do go out just do all you can to stay away from other people and dont get think about it too much.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I've just spent 20mins peering through the net curtains at an ambulance parked outside and was quite happy when it turned out a neighbour had broken their ankle and didn't have the plague.

Which is all kinds of hosed up and I feel bad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Getting pretty close to just ending myself at this point, are the trains even still running?