Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that's musket singular

Check mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Patware posted:

that's musket singular

Check mate

Twice. That'll be $150.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there's no real proof one of them didn't take the musket off the other one

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't understand the gun discussion but Demon's Souls is substantially easier than DS3 and Bloodborne, if only because almost half of the boss fights are one-note puzzles and not actually fights against bosses. Unless you mean in terms of the ability for newcomers to experience the game and play it because it does have by far the most opaque game mechanics and upgrade paths and poo poo. The careful dungeon crawling of the older games is fun, but Sekiro is also fun. Thank goodness there's a lot of imitators out there now who are iterating on both. :)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nioh 1 and 2 are leagues more fun better than Sekiro. :colbert:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I wish nioh didn’t have a loot system.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grouchio posted:

Nioh 1 and 2 are leagues more fun better than Sekiro. :colbert:

I think the combat in Nioh is better, but I really like the story and level design in Sekiro. Depends on what you're looking for, I guess.

Roobanguy posted:

I wish nioh didn’t have a loot system.

Yeah, this is the biggest knock I have against Nioh. Maybe I missed some things, but combining gear never did much for me, and after a while, I'm just constantly having to clear out my gear at shrines just to make room for potential new drops.

I'd like the loot system just a little better if there wasn't a cap on storage.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The loot system in Nioh is what made me tap out half-way through the first one and not buy the second one. Having to do inventory management every 10 minutes just broke me of any will to go on any further.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The first real boss (on the boat) in Nioh gave me more trouble than anything in any From game

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I haven't played Nioh 2 proper, but both first bosses in the betas gave me so much trouble. Onryoki in Nioh 1 gave me some trouble my first playthrough, but that's an easily solved boss.

Nue, on the other hand... THAT'S the gatekeeper boss.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

i mean a tow launcher pointing up looks a hella lot like a mortar

only bad people know more about guns than "pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle, minigun, bazooka" anyway

You should be ashamed of yourself for snubbing grenade launchers and railguns like this

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

You should be ashamed of yourself for snubbing grenade launchers and railguns like this

grenade launcher is a smol bazooka and a railgun is a cyber sniper

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The hardest souls game you play will always be your first.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nioh is a continuation of Souls as I enjoy it from a different dev and it's rad but also it finally broke me on difficulty, that game is for REAL.

Sekiro is From finally transitioning to effectively a diff kind of game entirely, just with similar design sensibilities, and I no longer enjoy it, oh well.

Szmitten posted:

CSB 007 No Nipples Podcast. Thank god for the weird names I can remember half of and Google the rest. It might have been halfway through.
Thanks. Way less apologia for Atlus/ "It's Japan" dissmissiveness than I was expecting, I'm pleasantly surprised!

Man, Hashino is such a no account scumbag.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Magna Kaser posted:

The hardest souls game you play will always be your first.

This is extremely not correct, Demon's had it's tough points, but DS1 was consistently harder than it, DS2/SotFS was harder in points than 1, 3 felt like a cake walk for a lot of it, Bloodborne had some ball busters, Sekiro I felt like was harder even than Bloodborne because at least BB still afforded you being able to find That Weapon or two that just relentlessly shits all over everything when you know what it is and how to use it. I still wish Sekiro was more Tenchu than Souls though honestly.

Nioh I don't mind the loot system at all in though, it's at it's most fumbley early on, but after a while you find good sets and you generally take one of those that lends to how you like to play most and then just start building up and around those set pieces, then maybe if you find another cool one you start seeking that and at the absolute furthest, you're using stuff like the magatama that takes away set bonus requirements to get a full set bonus with the 2/3 of another you like turned on as well.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 27, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Nioh is a continuation of Souls as I enjoy it from a different dev and it's rad but also it finally broke me on difficulty, that game is for REAL.

Huh, I had a way easier time with Nioh than with Bloodborne

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

Were you trying for an Odachi build? That one is technical as gently caress and requires great prior skill and knowledge.
I'm having a much easier time with the katana and spear now. Try that if you haven't already.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

This is extremely not correct, Demon's had it's tough points, but DS1 was consistently harder than it, DS2/SotFS was harder in points than 1, 3 felt like a cake walk for a lot of it, Bloodborne had some ball busters, Sekiro I felt like was harder even than Bloodborne because at least BB still afforded you being able to find That Weapon or two that just relentlessly shits all over everything when you know what it is and how to use it. I still wish Sekiro was more Tenchu than Souls though honestly.

Nioh I don't mind the loot system at all in though, it's at it's most fumbley early on, but after a while you find good sets and you generally take one of those that lends to how you like to play most and then just start building up and around those set pieces, then maybe if you find another cool one you start seeking that and at the absolute furthest, you're using stuff like the magatama that takes away set bonus requirements to get a full set bonus with the 2/3 of another you like turned on as well.

idk maybe it's just me. I probably died more in demon's souls (my first one) than I did in dark souls 1-3 and Bloodborne combined. I died a ton because I had no idea how to play that game. I noticed I had a considerably easier time with dark souls 1 than a lot of people due to having played the gently caress out of demon's souls. I'm not saying I'm a pro tier better gamer than anyone, just that I had experience in a very similar game that many didn't.

While I'd agree that DS technically harder than Demon's Souls and on paper DS 2, 3, and Bloodborne are even more technically demanding, because many people had experience with multiple games by the point they played those they probably didn't seem as difficult. In fact, so many new people hopping on fresh for Bloodborne was probably why that game got such a rep as a hard game. I don't remember ever getting stuck in DS2, DS3 or Bloodborne the way I got stuck in Demon's Souls or even Dark Souls 1 at some parts.

I just think your first one will be the hardest for you comparatively.

Sekiro is p different and I feel weird including it here since Demons->DS->Bloodborne share so much DNA and the skills you pick up in one are very transferrable to the others, where Sekiro is a different beast and going in with the mindset you had for those other games will actively work against you. I also didn't get stuck in Sekiro nearly as much as I did in Demons Souls or DS1, but I had a similar mini-arc where I hit a wall on that spear dude by the tower for a while and once the combat clicked and I beat him the whole game got a lot easier (and more fun).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Were you trying for an Odachi build? That one is technical as gently caress and requires great prior skill and knowledge.
I'm having a much easier time with the katana and spear now. Try that if you haven't already.

If by technical as gently caress you mean "spam moonlit snow until you win", sure

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Andrast posted:

If by technical as gently caress you mean "spam moonlit snow until you win", sure
By technical I mean early-game in which you have to remember which combos shift into which stance while juggling reaction times, your slow speed and agility, yes. It was a life and death struggle against every opponent in the bat caves with that heavy thing, so I respecced into a nimbler sword/spear build.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Magna Kaser posted:

Sekiro is p different and I feel weird including it here since Demons->DS->Bloodborne share so much DNA and the skills you pick up in one are very transferrable to the others, where Sekiro is a different beast and going in with the mindset you had for those other games will actively work against you. I also didn't get stuck in Sekiro nearly as much as I did in Demons Souls or DS1, but I had a similar mini-arc where I hit a wall on that spear dude by the tower for a while and once the combat clicked and I beat him the whole game got a lot easier (and more fun).

Sekiro is close to Bloodborne, if you were someone playing a fast weapon and doing a lot of gun parries, but leaning even harder into parries and unhitching you from the limitations set by the stamina bar. Bloodborne's build variety still offered more combat options than Sekiro's skills and shinobi tools though.

I'm curious how Elden Ring will end up looking after Sekiro moved in the direction it did.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Parrying in sekiro is more like blocking in dark souls rather than souls parrying

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
parrying in Sekiro is like cumming

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Andrast posted:

Parrying in sekiro is more like blocking in dark souls rather than souls parrying

You can spam parries and get by fine so long as you're not doing a charmless run, but the game still wants you to get the perfect timing down like any good Bloodborne parry. Bloodborne parries were already pretty different and more widely applicable than the Souls games liked being with parries though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

You can spam parries and get by fine so long as you're not doing a charmless run, but the game still wants you to get the perfect timing down like any good Bloodborne parry. Bloodborne parries were already pretty different and more widely applicable than the Souls games liked being with parries though.

You have like 30 frames for the perfect deflect it in Sekiro which is way more than the souls games (also it comes almost instantly compared to the slight delay in souls)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 27, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Can someone explain to me what the endgame of Dokapon Kingdon is?! They've been at the same game for over 30 hours and they havent managed to remove Minh from the top spot and they keep resetting towns WHEN DOES IT END?!?!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Andrast posted:

You have like 30 frames for the perfect deflect it in Sekiro which is way more than the souls games (also it comes almost instantly compared to the slight delay in souls)

I feel like we're not disagreeing at all here?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

I feel like we're not disagreeing at all here?

This is a possibility

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The loot system in Nioh is what made me tap out half-way through the first one and not buy the second one. Having to do inventory management every 10 minutes just broke me of any will to go on any further.

This is what really attracted me to the FF7 Remake. I just don't play RPGs anymore because it feels like I spend as much time in the menus trashing useless loot than actually playing the damned things.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i only open my inventory between missions and it takes like a minute to sift through for blue numbers and trash the rest

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Can someone explain to me what the endgame of Dokapon Kingdon is?! They've been at the same game for over 30 hours and they havent managed to remove Minh from the top spot and they keep resetting towns WHEN DOES IT END?!?!

I'm honestly loving the series so far, but at the rate things are going, it's going to take Woolie keeping a hold on a Contract and nuking the playing field to keep Minh from running away with things.

I'm pretty sure Reggie is colluding with Minh, though.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of this podcast they said that they might bring Maximillian in for the next one to talk more about FF7R. I really hope this happens, cause I loved listening to them talking about the game in general. It's also pretty interesting hearing about the theories/interpretations/predictions. Also if you guys haven't seen it you should really watch the Easy Allies spoilercast where they had Maximillian on as well. The energy he brought to that podcast was just on another level. He straight up just converted people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfgw7iDZ-bo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Al-Saqr posted:

The endgame is somebody or everybody decides to quit, that's it. Nobody ever finishes Dokapon, especially not blind.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The endgame is somebody or everybody decides to quit, that's it. Nobody ever finishes Dokapon, especially not blind.

Spoken like someone without The Blood Pool.

Al-Saqr posted:

Anything can happen in the WWE.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Spoken like someone without The Blood Pool.

Yeah, the Blood Pool is going to keep the game going way longer than it would have otherwise, even though I think that the game will eventually have broken them all by the end.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I'm here for it, the salt is getting real. Dokapon's been some of the best content going the past few weeks, even if it seems endless that only makes it better when major poo poo does happen

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Were there actual stabbings at it's end?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Indecisive posted:

I'm here for it, the salt is getting real. Dokapon's been some of the best content going the past few weeks, even if it seems endless that only makes it better when major poo poo does happen

Someone on the reddit explained that them bumbling around and not knowing how to actually level up is loving up the scaling difficulty of the game. Compared to other playthroughs, they are severely underleveled but because some like Minh are min-maxing speed, it's somehow pushing them forward in progress.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Reggie is too good for this poo poo world and the last few episodes have been great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Ow my ears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWQ_siVmJA